Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohmandm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
east lansing
I have a JVC KDG230 car stereo that has an ipod adapter out the back that I can plug in my ipod to. My 30gb ipod worked fine now the touch is not being recognized. It just keeps saying "checking" on the stereo and the touch says "accessory connected." I assumed they would be compatible just like the last pair but I guess I was wrong. Has anyone had similar issues? Any ideas? Do you think an update in the future could take care of the issue?

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I hook my iphone into a JVC car stereo. I can't offer any advice other than keep trying. The connection is finicky, both on the software and the hardware side. It randomly will and will not charge while connected. The connection comes loose sometimes, at which point the music stops playing and leaves up the title of the last song. Sometimes it just gets stuck when the phone is first connected.

So, as I've had different results, maybe you will with each try (hopefully better ones). As far as software updates to improve this; it all depends on where the problem lies. If the JVC lacks what it needs to talk right with your touch and my phone, then we are screwed. However, if the problem is with the apple device, then a software update could fix it. I have no programming knowledge, but I would guess it would be as simple as writing a program for the phone/touch to mimic the responses/interface that the JVC has with the ipod. Who knows?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
No issues with my iPod touch and Alpine head unit.

Actually, I take that back. If I tilt the device sideways when first connecting it and it switches into CoverFlow mode it screws things up. Otherwise, works great.

redgtxdi

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2007
OOooooooh yaa..........I tried this w/ my head unit.

It's just a cheap "Dual" head unit w/ a USB connection in the front..............but when I used the Apple-provided cable, the Touch goes crazy & keeps going from charge to disconnect repeatedly (every second or so). And no way to get it to play.

I don't know if there's a more passive cable (???) that would allow play on a usb-type head unit, but I just gave up. I ain't gonna go buy a new stereo just to accomodate my ipt.

Amorousnerdium

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Gulfport, MS
I have the Dual XDVD8183 with Ipod cable and an 8 gig Ipod touch. When I plug it in, the only thing it will do is play whatever was playing when the unit was attached. No charging, no changing the track, no controls what so ever. Kind of disappointing after spending so much money on the two units and Best Buy charging restocking fees on both as well as not refunding the install fees...

JULIAHOBBS

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Dual car stereo and IPod Touch are not compatible!!

I have tried several times to connect my (working just fine ) ipod to my dual xdvd8182 car stereo and no matter how many different wires or ways I tried to hook it up it still says connecting on my stereo screen and accesory attached on my ipod touch. I also tried hooking up my daughters IPod 5th genereation beacause that is what is says in the car stereo manual that it works great with, however, it does the same thing. So, the only conclusion I can come up with is just that it is not compatible and no, it will never be. Simply because Dual comes out with newer car stereos all the time to upgrade on the last on they put out. So the only way to solve the dilemma is to buy a fm transmitter and pray that it works ok and not all staticky or simply buy a better car stereo that really does work with IPod. Needless to say Dual could give a crap that it works or not.

moparchris

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Mine wont work on my factory Dodge radio/factory interface. I called Dodge & they said that Apple changed the way their interface worked & they were trying to fix the problem. We'll see...

hed

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
I have a JVC KDG230 car stereo that has an ipod adapter out the back that I can plug in my ipod to. My 30gb ipod worked fine now the touch is not being recognized. It just keeps saying "checking" on the stereo and the touch says "accessory connected." I assumed they would be compatible just like the last pair but I guess I was wrong. Has anyone had similar issues? Any ideas? Do you think an update in the future could take care of the issue?

I also have a JVC KDG230 car stereo and i'm finding an iPod adapter for it. What type of iPod adaptor did you use?

Thanks!

richierichdolla

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
i have pioneer avic-d3 it will charge the touch and i can listen to music and use the ipod interface but i cannot get videos to play. Its say use an ipod when i try to play video, i can hear sound but no video. I have jb my touch is there anyway around the no video without an official ipod cable.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
i don't know if this will help any. i had a alpine in my vw. at first the ipod touch couldn't be found. after research i learned i had to change the setting in the ipod to not shuffle. bring up any cd in your collection. tap on album art. it flips over. there you see the blue shuffle arrows to turn on and off.

rosco15

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
ipod touch wont work with car stereo

I also have a JVC KDG230. My ipod nano connector works fine with the nano, and obviously fits the new 2nd generation touch. However, the touch doesn't work. It says device connected or something along those lines. I'm going to try taking it off shuffle. I'll let ya'll know

SmthCrmnl

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
I have the same stereo system (JVC KDG230) and i found out that the adapters/cables that you need to connect the system to the iPod Touch doesn't recognize the iPod touch 2g...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.