PDA

View Full Version : More Studios Signed on for iTunes Rentals?

MacRumors
Dec 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The New York Times confirms (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/technology/28apple.html) earlier rumors that Apple will be launching an iTunes Movie rental store at Macworld San Francisco. And according to their sources, more than one studio will be signed to the service at launch:Apple has been trying to interest a number of Hollywood studios in an iTunes rental service, and several people familiar with the negotiations said that more than one studio would appear onstage at the company’s MacWorld exhibition here beginning Jan. 14 to endorse a new Apple movie rental service.The Financial Times first broke the news (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/26/apple-in-online-film-rental-deal-with-fox-studio/) that Apple would be launching an iTunes movie rental store. Pricing and terms of the rentals remain unknown.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/28/more-studios-signed-on-for-itunes-rentals/)

DVNIEL
Dec 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
First Amazon, then Target....

Next.... Netflix=)

More to reason to not get off your butt and head to the Hollywood or Blockbuster

plumbingandtech
News would be if "another" studio is more then Disney since we almost KNOW they are a part of this.

Peace
Bet we don't see Universal :p

macfan881
Dec 28, 2007, 05:13 PM
my guess is Disney and or paramount.

The Toon Master
Dec 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
Well, Disney is guarenteed. So probably all the studios who already allow downloads and 20th Century Fox (I wish Universal, but doubt it, same with WB)

s0upb0ne
Dec 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
Fiddlesticks!!

I am very happy with Vudu, but know I am now wondering if Apple will finally turn AppleTV something worth buying.

Oh well..may have another set top box :)

plumbingandtech
Dec 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
I guess the only question now is at what resolution?

and how will this resolution relate if they allow it to be transfer to ipod/iphone.. meaning do they go the lowest common denominator or mutliple versions?

Fiddlesticks!!

I am very happy with Vudu, but know I am now wondering if Apple will finally turn AppleTV something worth buying.

I think them and Amazon showed the studios that they can play safe with these guys and get almost no rentals/sales or go with apple and see better numbers.

law guy
Dec 28, 2007, 05:25 PM
Any time now, the New York Times will be contacted by Apple legal and offered money to shut down in order to prevent the publishing of additional spoilers prior to MW events.

zerkour
Dec 28, 2007, 05:27 PM
I guess the only question now is at what resolution?

and how will this resolution relate if they allow it to be transfer to ipod/iphone.. meaning do they go the lowest common denominator or mutliple versions?

Good question... I was wondering about that myself. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
I'm stoked about this.

fluidedge
Dec 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
i really don't like the sound of this as a non american.

It is going to be another of those Itunes US store only things isn't it.

Object-X
Dec 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
I just got a Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 for Christmas. Let me know how it all turns out.

macfan881
Dec 28, 2007, 05:34 PM
I just got a Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 for Christmas. Let me know how it all turns out.

and what does that have to do with this?:rolleyes:

s0upb0ne
Dec 28, 2007, 05:35 PM

You can download movies on the Wii and the PS3?

plumbingandtech
Dec 28, 2007, 05:35 PM
And lastly, did the movie studios do a reverse iphone thing where they said, big cut of rental fee = access to their movie library.

I would bet yes without a doubt.

KindredMAC
Dec 28, 2007, 05:41 PM
:apple: tv and iTunes needs to be able to offer HD content more than ever now.

That is the one point about :apple: tv that never made sense.... why did you need to have an HDTV WideScreen to run it? The content does not look good on a 42" 1080i LCD.

s0upb0ne
Dec 28, 2007, 05:42 PM
And lastly, did the movie studios do a reverse iphone thing where they said, big cut of rental fee = access to their movie library.

I would bet yes without a doubt.

I was wondering the same thing. Could the the big movie studios finally see the bridge over that 'last ten feet' and the start to true convergence.

mattvolp
Dec 28, 2007, 05:44 PM
Doesn't Netflix offer some sort of internet-rental-computer-viewer-thingy-majig?

Doctor Q
Dec 28, 2007, 05:48 PM
Doesn't Netflix offer some sort of internet-rental-computer-viewer-thingy-majig?Yes, their "Watch Instantly" service. But it has some rather inconvenient requirements for us Mac users.

Netflix "Watch Instantly" Requirements: Computer running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, or Windows Vista
Internet Explorer version 6 or higher
Windows Media Player version 11 or laterApple's service, of course, will not have that little problem. So we could actually use it!

traderx1
Dec 28, 2007, 05:49 PM

That is the one point about :apple: tv that never made sense.... why did you need to have an HDTV WideScreen to run it? The content does not look good on a 42" 1080i LCD.

Apple can announce all the partnerships they want with every Movie Studio, but without HD content AND Dobly Digital/DTS/5.1 it just will not be worth it. I have been waiting and waiting for HD content on AppleTV along with decent 5.1 audio support. If they want to compete with current HD offerings (HDTV, Blu Ray, HDDVD) they first need to beat plain old DVD, which is not happening as of right now.

carlgo
Dec 28, 2007, 05:50 PM
Gots to be HD. I will download HD at night if it takes a long time, but I won't spend a dime on cute little pictures or big fuzzy ones.

mdntcallr
this is great!

who wants to buy digital movies when you can rent?

scotty321

A. Your comment has nothing to do with this article.
B. Wow, you sound like one productive human being. Spending all of your time playing games.

Eidorian
Dec 28, 2007, 05:52 PM
this is great!

who wants to buy digital movies when you can rent?Rent online and buy in store.

I like this model. If I REALLY want it I want a physical copy.

liven2
Dec 28, 2007, 05:55 PM
I am hoping this comes with a software update for my AppleTV so it is a more robust system. I love the device but honestly feel it could be way better, and being able to download and rent from it would be ideal!!!
:)

theBB
Dec 28, 2007, 05:57 PM
Doesn't Netflix offer some sort of internet-rental-computer-viewer-thingy-majig?
Yes, but only for really old, obscure (and mostly bad) movies and some British TV shows.

InkMaster
Dec 28, 2007, 06:01 PM

Looks even worse on a 55" 1080p Plasma ;)

"2006 is the year of HD"
"2007 is the year of HD"

Who wants to bet Steve is gonna say "2008 is the year of HD" at this MacWorld?

twoodcc
Dec 28, 2007, 06:01 PM
sounds good

Pandaboots
Dec 28, 2007, 06:02 PM
In light of the recent failures and/or lack of meeting expectations of other online video vendors, Apple making the move to video rentals makes the most sense in our throw away world. Physical rentals have been around and been very successful for many years. Therefore, there shouldn't be any pricing structure issues or hurdles to really get over. NBC pulling out of iTunes was just a dumb move that they will soon regret and one day they will be back. I mean, what if all these studios and companies felt this way about Blockbuster way back when and all tried to do it themselves. (selling and rentals) We need a one-stop shop and iTunes will prevail. 2008 will be an exciting year for Apple. Apple is poised to do to the movie industry what they have done to the music industry...

swagi
Dec 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
So, as the XBOX 360 was mentioned here, I have two simple questions:

What is the current resolution in iTunes Store? How's Microsoft's Live business doing in the US?

I just got the dashboard update in Germany. Microsoft now also starts offering movies over here. Granted selection sucks and I'm not good at converting M$ points to money, but...

Hey, I could download all three Matrix and 300 in 720p resolution now :D

Comes in quite handy, til the format war is won :D

theBB
Dec 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
Resolution is just a number. You can deliver higher resolution with more compression so that the file size stays the same, but in the end the image quality can actually get worse. We have watched Spiderman-3 (boy, talk about a bad movie) at a friend's 46'' HDTV on BluRay. The chromatic noise was very high and compression artifacts were quite distracting. Neither of us are very picky, either. We watched a few other movies that looked much better.

Just because a box tells you 1080p does not mean it is actually good quality.

termite
Dec 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, but only for really old, obscure (and mostly bad) movies and some British TV shows.

"Heroes" is neither old, obscure, a movie, nor British. And it was available the day after it showed.

The problem is the video quality was pretty poor. There is no way to say "I'm willing to wait a few hours for the download if you give me good quality."

rockosmodurnlif
Dec 28, 2007, 06:28 PM
I hope The Financial Times (or whatever earlier rumor) got the pricing wrong though. I'm not renting a movie for 30 days.

On a side note, I hope they get some classics into their library so I don't have to keep stalking TCM's movie schedule.

dscottbuch
Dec 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
dispite the hue and outcry for HD on these and other forums HD remains economically irrelivent to todays retail video market. The presence, or absence of HD content on an iTunes rental service will be far from
the top of the list of critical features. Breadth if content, price, ease of use will be far more important.

GeekLawyer
Dec 28, 2007, 06:45 PM
dispite the hue and outcry for HD on these and other forums HD remains economically irrelivent to todays retail video market. The presence, or absence of HD content on an iTunes rental service will be far from
the top of the list of critical features. Breadth if content, price, ease of use will be far more important.

As much as I would like to see HD content -- 720p would be fine -- the masses would probably be happy with something less-than.

I agree with much of what this author says... http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/04/why-low-def-is-the-new-hd/

plumbingandtech
Dec 28, 2007, 06:48 PM

Yah. I'm betting on something in the 720p range.

Switcher2001
Dec 28, 2007, 06:52 PM
Okay, I can live with the demise of television and DVDs, but the problem is that Apple does not caption their own video tutorials or television commercials, and almost no one selling television shows or movies on iTunes Store is providing captions either. Come on! The ADA mandated captioning decades ago. I'm a sign language interpreter and I'm passionate about accessibility, but I'm not just rooting for the underdog here. I happen to rely on captions when I watch television in gyms, bars, airports, and other public places. Even at home, when the soundtrack and special effects are louder than the dialog, I rely on captions because I refuse to blast my ears just so that I can understand what people are saying.

This lack of captioning on Internet-based video is inexcusable and needs to stop, especially as it's replacing traditionally captioned media such as television and DVD.

I'm a Netflix customer, and as a Mac user I cannot access their Internet movie content. I'd love to rent movies from iTunes, but I won't do it unless they're captioned.

HiRez
Dec 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
I think it has to be $3.99 or less with at least a 3-day window to be viable, but $2.99 or less, at least a one-week window, and at least 720p to really take off. If they did that and added proper 5.1 audio support to the AppleTV, I'd probably rarely ever go to the theater again.

I also wouldn't really mind a variable pricing structure, something like:

$5.99 new release, less than 3 months old and simultaneous with theatrical release.

$2.99 3 months to 18 months.

$1.99 older than 18 months.

Curtis72
Dec 28, 2007, 06:59 PM

No. I believe Sony has annouced that for their European PSN service but not here in the US. It is rumored though. I have no clue about their Asian markets.

I have downloaded one movie trailer to my PS3. It was in HD (for Underworld 2) and looked absolutely gorgeous!

Besides movie rentals, Apple needs to offer HD movie content. Use their a going to take a few hours to download but it is worth it in my opinion.

So of you say this (really movie downloading in general) is going to kill off Blockbuster, Netflix, Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD? Why? Because I just don't see it.
Even if Blockbuster and Movie Gallery die off, there will still be plenty of local video stores renting movies. People still will use Netflix. And Blu-Ray picture quality absolutely ROCKS!

Personaly I don't have a video capable "iAnything", but if I did then watching a movie on a screen as small as iPod or iPhone is my last choice.

I am going to still buy select Blu-Ray movies and rent as many as I can (my local Blockbuster has most of the latest flicks that come out on the format). I will probably buy plain DVD's for the select films that I want to own. But for some movies, I will buy or rent from iTunes.

Stella
Dec 28, 2007, 07:03 PM

Apple will release it for the u.s and drag their feet over licensing for other parts of the world just like they did for Music and TV content.

Considering other movie download providers haven't faired so well, I'm interested to see how Apple will do... and if there is any new hardware for content delivery ( yes, there is AppleTV but expensive and lackluster ).

mattvolp
Dec 28, 2007, 07:08 PM
What's the average price for an online movie rental? It's around three bucks right? And how are they going to combat tools that could easily rip it, like AudioHijack and video screen capture apps? Hmmm, I'm having some doubts, any ideas?

evilyankeefan
Dec 28, 2007, 07:16 PM
I think it has to be $3.99 or less with at least a 3-day window to be viable, but $2.99 or less, at least a one-week window, and at least 720p to really take off. If they did that and added proper 5.1 audio support to the AppleTV, I'd probably rarely ever go to the theater again.

I also wouldn't really mind a variable pricing structure, something like:

$5.99 new release, less than 3 months old and simultaneous with theatrical release.

$2.99 3 months to 18 months.

$1.99 older than 18 months.

I'm all for a variable price structure. Simultaneous release with theaters will unlikely happen any time soon, but if you stage it say 1 month after the theaters it might work. Keep the price the same as theaters. Don't know how many movies I've waited for DVD release to see them, so meet us part of the way.

megfilmworks
Dec 28, 2007, 07:38 PM
No, but with all that fire power and gameplay he has better things to do than worry who might allow an unknown resolution to be bought sometime next year. IMHO

megfilmworks
Dec 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
As much as I would like to see HD content -- 720p would be fine -- the masses would probably be happy with something less-than.

I agree with much of what this author says... http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/04/why-low-def-is-the-new-hd/
That is a great article. Thanks.
I own two Toshiba HD DVD's and 1 Blu-Ray in my PS 3. I prefer the menus in the HD DVD more than Blu-ray otherwise they are virtually the same,
but it sure would have been nice not tobe forced to own two players just to see a new release.
I think the downloadable content in LoDef, SD, and HD will render all of my HD players DOD.

Virgil-TB2
Dec 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
... what if all these studios and companies felt this way about Blockbuster way back when and all tried to do it themselves(?) ... They kind of did.

When it first became possible to record movies on videotape and especially when rental started in earnest, the movie studios all tried to stop it. They lobbied to make it illegal to record a TV show and took it all the way to the Supreme Court in the US. Fortunately, they lost. They also set the price of early digital recordings like LaserDisc at hundreds of dollars (per disc!), in order to "pay for the lost cost of copying" and similarly tried to levy fees against videotape recorders and blank tape for the same reason. They lost that deal too.

Unfortunately, today's world is severely tilted against even the *minimal* rights the consumer had back then and leans much more towards the rights of the corporations than it does the rights of the individual. So in today's world they have actually won some of these fights. For instance, most people are under the mistaken impression that any copying is illegal now (it's not), and the corporations have actually been successful in levying fees against digital players and media to make up for this mythical "lost income."

In any case, I would not rejoice over this news until we see the price they are going to charge for the privilege of watching media in this new system.

seedster2
Dec 28, 2007, 08:33 PM
I strongly disagree with anyone who asserts that resolution isn't relevant.

After watching what the current :apple:TV does on my friends 42" 720P LCD, I was disappointed. The same rationale applied to music distribution cannot be applied to video.

I would much rather rent from comcast or my local video store than subject myself to blurry $5 rentals:rolleyes:

Update the hardware because the UI is already there. Just take a look at movie trailers on a PS3 if they need a benchmark.

mdriftmeyer
Dec 28, 2007, 08:37 PM

That would be an issue between your country and Apple.

zedsdead
Dec 28, 2007, 09:11 PM
Rentals are good, but please let HD be there along with it...

MacNerd12
Dec 28, 2007, 09:55 PM
First Amazon, then Target....

Next.... Netflix=)

More to reason to not get off your butt and head to the Hollywood or Blockbuster

They don't care about America being lazy, long as they make money. :)

MacNerd12
Dec 28, 2007, 09:56 PM
Yah. I'm betting on something in the 720p range.

1080p would be nice for those of us with either Aluminum iMacs or HD CInema Displays (and HD graphics cards).
:apple:

NightStorm
Dec 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
1080p would be nice for those of us with either Aluminum iMacs or HD CInema Displays (and HD graphics cards).
And a lot of bandwidth.

sushi
Dec 28, 2007, 10:04 PM
And a lot of bandwidth.
No kidding.

I wonder how big the file will be?

Current movies on iTunes are around 1.2 to 1.4 GBs.

diamond.g
Dec 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
No kidding.

I wonder how big the file will be?

Current movies on iTunes are around 1.2 to 1.4 GBs.

For 720p with 5.1 audio files should start at about 3 GB, for 1080p with 5.1 audio look at files starting at about 6 or 7 GB. This is using XBL Video Marketplace as my basis. Filesizes between VC-1 and H.264 are pretty similar.

docprego
Dec 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
If the new rentals offer at least DVD quality I would immediately cancel my Blockbuster online account and purchase the new Apple TV (assuming there is one). Even without a new Apple TV there will surely be a software update for existing models.

HD would be icing on the cake and would really make this the ultimate content solution for my home theater.

Jarra
Dec 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
I am a bit old fashioned. I like my physical discs. And any movie worth buying for me, is one that I would watch more than once. What I would like to see is the ability to put my DVDs onto itunes just like my CDs. But I suppose this is a moot point for me as I am not in the US.:rolleyes:

MikeTheC
Dec 28, 2007, 10:47 PM
I don't want to rent. I want to own. Especially since we're talking about e-distributed media here, y'know?

Sorry, not interested.

sushi
Dec 28, 2007, 11:03 PM
For 720p with 5.1 audio files should start at about 3 GB, for 1080p with 5.1 audio look at files starting at about 6 or 7 GB. This is using XBL Video Marketplace as my basis. Filesizes between VC-1 and H.264 are pretty similar.
Thanks.

So to DL a 1080p movie that is 7GB in size, with at say 3.5MBps DL (about average for a 50Mbps ADSL line around here) it would take about 4.5 hours to DL the movie.

Definitely need more bandwidth!

MikeTheC
Dec 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks.

So to DL a 1080p movie that is 7GB in size, with at say 3.5MBps DL (about average for a 50Mbps ADSL line around here) it would take about 4.5 hours to DL the movie.

Definitely need more bandwidth!

FIOS is promising to bring it.

GeekLawyer
Dec 28, 2007, 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure that you're going to need a display larger than 23, 24, or even 30 inches in order to discern the difference between a video that's 720p versus 1080p. I know I would have to and I have better than 20/20. I don't think this becomes an issue on any display less than 50 inches or so.

I am a bit old fashioned. I like my physical discs. And any movie worth buying for me, is one that I would watch more than once. What I would like to see is the ability to put my DVDs onto itunes just like my CDs. But I suppose this is a moot point for me as I am not in the US.:rolleyes:

You have that ability today. It's called MacTheRipper and Handbrake. No, they're not as seamless as iTunes's method for archiving your CDs, but here in the States there is questionable legality concerning archiving DVD material to a hard drive (or another DVD). Apple, being judicious, probably doesn't want to muck up their tenuous relationships in Hollywood by making that type of archiving too easy for consumers. So we have very good third-party options at this point. It's a convoluted and dicey legal atmosphere and I couldn't do it justice here. Google macrovision and dig around some. Ars Technica is a good place to look, as is eff.org... http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060816-7517.html

Jarra
Dec 29, 2007, 12:16 AM
You have that ability today. It's called MacTheRipper and Handbrake. No, they're not as seamless as iTunes's method for archiving your CDs, but here in the States there is questionable legality concerning archiving DVD material to a hard drive (or another DVD). Apple, being judicious, probably doesn't want to muck up their tenuous relationships in Hollywood by making that type of archiving too easy for consumers. So we have very good third-party options at this point. It's a convoluted and dicey legal atmosphere and I couldn't do it justice here. Google macrovision and dig around some. Ars Technica is a good place to look, as is eff.org... http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060816-7517.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks GL, will try.

MacAddict1978
Dec 29, 2007, 01:42 AM
They kind of did.

When it first became possible to record movies on videotape and especially when rental started in earnest, the movie studios all tried to stop it. They lobbied to make it illegal to record a TV show and took it all the way to the Supreme Court in the US. Fortunately, they lost. They also set the price of early digital recordings like LaserDisc at hundreds of dollars (per disc!), in order to "pay for the lost cost of copying" and similarly tried to levy fees against videotape recorders and blank tape for the same reason. They lost that deal too.

Unfortunately, today's world is severely tilted against even the *minimal* rights the consumer had back then and leans much more towards the rights of the corporations than it does the rights of the individual. So in today's world they have actually won some of these fights. For instance, most people are under the mistaken impression that any copying is illegal now (it's not), and the corporations have actually been successful in levying fees against digital players and media to make up for this mythical "lost income."

In any case, I would not rejoice over this news until we see the price they are going to charge for the privilege of watching media in this new system.

i remember the day of the $200 VHS tape. The $20 copy didn't hit a store until well after a year from the time it first hit video, which was normally around 2 years after it hit theaters. It wasn't like today where a theatrical release finds its way on DVD 3 months later. Look how Stupid the media companies are! They make more money selling DVD's than they do on a film in the theatre most of the time, and that WAS something they fought to stop in the VHS era. They never learn!!!! (Ahem, Uniververal NBC).

I googled the Vudu box, which sounds quite nice except for the $399 price to own the box, and you still have to pay for the movies you rent! I wonder if AppleTV doesn't have some hidden technology in it that might not function like the Vudu box. Apple has been good at doing that latelye (the N enbaling, dual binary osx all these years).

If it it a matter of waiting hours for a download, that kind of sucks. You might as well just do netflix and not worry about the image and sound quality, IMO.

MacFly123
Dec 29, 2007, 02:29 AM

I can agree with you, but only if, as i said before, you can rip an entire disc image of the DVD so that it has the menus, movie, and special features so that the file plays just as if you had a DVD in your computer. I want that so bad, and I really really hope soon that we will be able to download "Digital DVDs" like that :)

MacSA
Dec 29, 2007, 03:28 AM
I guess this announcement, if it proves to be true, will take up the bulk of the keynote at MacWorld.

docprego
Dec 29, 2007, 03:51 AM
I guess this announcement, if it proves to be true, will take up the bulk of the keynote at MacWorld.

I don't know, this is a very interesting moment for Apple enthusiasts. We have a lot of real solid things going on; rentals, iPhone hardware and software updates, new aluminum Macbook, Apple TV, and maybe even new Mac Pros and Cinema Displays. That's a lot of real possibilities going into a major event. For me I am most interested in the rentals, Apple TV, and iPhone updates.

fluidedge
Dec 29, 2007, 04:45 AM
That would be an issue between your country and Apple.

:confused::confused::confused:

Well it's hardly likely to be 'an issue' between my country and the Taliban is it??!?

igazza
Dec 29, 2007, 06:07 AM
american itunes store only i bet

diamond.g
Dec 29, 2007, 07:59 AM
I can agree with you, but only if, as i said before, you can rip an entire disc image of the DVD so that it has the menus, movie, and special features so that the file plays just as if you had a DVD in your computer. I want that so bad, and I really really hope soon that we will be able to download "Digital DVDs" like that :)

VOB files FTW!!!! OTherwise I am not sure how one would embed menus in MP4 container. Although the container supports 1 Video stream, 2 Audio streams, and a subtitle stream. It would be cool if they could do a h.264 VOB format. Maybe they could use the same container HD DVD & BD use.

EagerDragon
Dec 29, 2007, 12:41 PM
In combination with the other rumors of a significant update to the AppleTV, this would sound interesting.

I hope they are not planning on much for the convenience tax.

I would not be saving that much in Gas and wear an tear on my vehicle as I can easily pick a DVD from the rental place on my way home from work.

If the convenience tax is too much, ill just continue the old "stop at the store" on the may home routine.

EagerDragon
Dec 29, 2007, 01:19 PM

ummm, "One more thing, we have decided to add video rentals to iTunes, the movies will be fully DVD quality with 5.1 stereo, from 4 studios. Available today."

Add the time to present each studio, 3 min of video, 5 min to show new Apple TV using the service.

I say this is more like a 15 to 20 minutes announcement with all the proper fanfare.

Not that hot to take the entire presentation.