PDA

View Full Version : New IPOD user as of yesterday "VERY DISAPPOINTED"

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 06:42 PM
I got a IPOD for christams, never had one before.

I spent 8hrs loading songs from my CDs, have 367 songs in the following directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

My library in the iTunes software application only shows 156.

Read some threads on "lost" and "disappearing"music in this forum, found the corrupted files iTunes Library (Damaged).itl in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

I followed some directions on how to use the Add folder to library.. and still did not want to see my enrtire library structure on the hard drive.

Tried to create a new iTunes Music Library.xml using the instructions here, and it still did not see my enrtire library structure on the hard drive.

I used the info to perform the above steps found in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=405865

I'm not a quiter, but this just makes me sick! I'm already starting to wonder if i should go with a regular MP3 player and convert eveything before I go any further. Maybe sell the IPOD if iTunes is this touchy.

I did notice that iTunes would crash many times during the copying of music from my CDs. I beleive this was corrupting my iTunes library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Save the newbie!

Koz

swiftaw
Dec 28, 2007, 06:45 PM
What format are your songs? mp3, aac, wma?

So, your problem is that you have 367 songs on your hard drive, but only 156 in your itunes library?

IMcD23
Dec 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
I got a IPOD for christams, never had one before.

I spent 8hrs loading songs from my CDs, have 367 songs in the following directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

My library in the iTunes software application only shows 156.

Read some threads on "lost" and "disappearing"music in this forum, found the corrupted files iTunes Library (Damaged).itl in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

I followed some directions on how to use the Add folder to library.. and still did not want to see my enrtire library structure on the hard drive.

Tried to create a new iTunes Music Library.xml using the instructions here, and it still did not see my enrtire library structure on the hard drive.

I used the info to perform the above steps found in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=405865

I'm not a quiter, but this just makes me sick! I'm already starting to wonder if i should go with a regular MP3 player and convert eveything before I go any further. Maybe sell the IPOD if iTunes is this touchy.

I did notice that iTunes would crash many times during the copying of music from my CDs. I beleive this was corrupting my iTunes library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Save the newbie!

Koz

Try (in itunes) Advanced -> consolidate library:confused: first, make a backup of the files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder

Cloudane
Dec 28, 2007, 06:48 PM
It's unusual that iTunes should crash, even under Windows.

I'd suggest doing a memory test (use something like a burnable memtest86 CD)

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 06:52 PM
What format are your songs? mp3, aac, wma?

So, your problem is that you have 367 songs on your hard drive, but only 156 in your itunes library?

iTunes converted the music from my CDs to .m4a files. I have a total of 367 songs that came from my CD collection, but only 156 are showing in the itunes library.

Try (in itunes) Advanced -> consolidate library:confused: first, make a backup of the files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder

Before I consolidate the library, does it matter that iTunes is managing my files?

IMcD23
Dec 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
Before I consolidate the library, does it matter that iTunes is managing my files?

If you make a backup first, i am 95% sure, yes

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 06:56 PM

Do I need to make a backup, if all the songs are in folders in the following directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music?

IMcD23
Dec 28, 2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, if that is your itunes folder. Consolidating might turn out wrong and erase the other songs that aren't showing up

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yes, if that is your itunes folder. Consolidating might turn out wrong and erase the other songs that aren't showing up

OK I will make a back up and try to consolidate the itune folder.

I let you all know what happens...:o

IMcD23
Dec 28, 2007, 07:08 PM
k, good luck

tMac85
Dec 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
if you switch to a different type of MP3 player besides the ipod, i bet you will be even less happy. Ipod isnt the number one selling type of mp3 player for no reason! they are the best. be patient with it and you will loveee them as well as itunes

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 07:24 PM
Ok, I backed up iTunes Music folder in another directory.

But I just read the following in the help files Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library
"Any iTunes file located outside the iTunes Music folder remains in its original location, and a copy of it is placed in your iTunes Music folder."

Maybe I should just delete the files and folders in the iTunes Music folder first.

Then run the consolidate feature.

It should then search my computer and copy the backed up folder I created and rebuild them in the iTunes Music folder.

Do I understand this correctly? I do not want to have to go and delete 156 copies.

I'm also not sure if it will re-create the folders or just list all the music files with no folders?

IMcD23
Dec 28, 2007, 07:34 PM
Delete from itunes folder then remove files from library. copy music to library and consolidate.

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
Delete from itunes folder then remove files from library. copy music to library and consolidate.

Please bear with me, but I need to make sure I understand you correclty.

STEP 1:
Delete from itunes folder.
Delete the folder structure on my hard drive in the following directory
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

STEP 2:
then remove files from library.
Then open up iTunes and delete all files from the Music folder under LIBRARY?

STEP 3:
copy music to libraryQUOTE]
Not sure what you mean here?

STEP 4:
[QUOTE=IMcD23;4667371]and consolidate.
Use the Consolidate Library... feature under the Advanced tab in iTunes.

IMcD23
Dec 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
never mind find someone else to answer your question. I am completely guessing:(

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
never mind find someone else to answer your question. I am completely guessing:(

I did not mean to offend you, I just want to make sure I understood you correctly.

sushi
Dec 28, 2007, 08:02 PM
Please bear with me, but I need to make sure I understand you correclty.
Do you have a complete backup of all your music -- all 367 songs?

iTunes converted the music from my CDs to .m4a files. I have a total of 367 songs that came from my CD collection, but only 156 are showing in the itunes library.
Just to be sure, are you sure that 367 songs were converted and not 156?

Also, FYI, you can have iTunes import your songs in various formats such as MP3.

xkRoWx
Dec 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
If I remember correctly, iTunes does not support wma files (at least mine won't)

Anyways, delete your iTunes folder in My Music (or My Document), and reinstall iTunes. Go to iTunes options and tweak around the settings. Make sure that iTunes doesn't manage your files. Then drag the whole folder (the songs you had) into iTunes and it should work.

I've never had that problem on Windows or Mac. All my songs showed up perfectly fine.

About the crashing part, maybe some of your songs are corrupted (the CD might have copyright protection or license, whatever that corrupts the songs when you rip).

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 08:19 PM
Do you have a complete backup of all your music -- all 367 songs?
Yes

Just to be sure, are you sure that 367 songs were converted and not 156?
Yes, the iTunes shows only 156 songs, and the hard drive folder shows 367 songs. I verified that there are songs in the hard drive folder that are not being displayed in the iTunes application.

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
About the crashing part, maybe some of your songs are corrupted (the CD might have copyright protection or license, whatever that corrupts the songs when you rip).

It crashed but when I restarted itunes the song I just copied was still there and able to play even verified that the CD was removed.

It looks like the earlier files are the ones that are not showing up.

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 08:23 PM
Anyways, delete your iTunes folder in My Music (or My Document), and reinstall iTunes. Go to iTunes options and tweak around the settings. Make sure that iTunes doesn't manage your files. Then drag the whole folder (the songs you had) into iTunes and it should work.

I'm going to try this, then I assume I can change the setting so iTunes can manage my songs after I have dragged the folder over into iTunes?

xkRoWx
Dec 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
Check your file types. If they are all m4a or mp3 then you should have no problem. iTunes won't recognize wma songs.

The fastest way to check is to have all your folders in "detail" mode (right click > view > detail) so it shows the name, artist, type, time and what not.

sushi
Dec 28, 2007, 08:25 PM
Yes
Good.

Yes, the iTunes shows only 156 songs, and the hard drive folder shows 367 songs. I verified that there are songs in the hard drive folder that are not being displayed in the iTunes application.
Roger that.

Before we go on to the next step, there are two basic ways for iTunes to manage your songs.

A. One is to leave the songs in the location that they are so iTunes creates a pointer if you will to the location of the song.

B. The other way, which I would recommend, is to have iTunes "Keep iTunes Music folder organized."

Which way do you want to go?

xkRoWx
Dec 28, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm going to try this, then I assume I can change the setting so iTunes can manage my songs after I have dragged the folder over into iTunes?

Yes but iTunes then creates another folder called iTunes Music with duplicates of all your songs. That means you will use extra hard drive memory. But that is not a concern as of now.

sushi
Dec 28, 2007, 08:28 PM
It looks like xkRoWx is helping you as well.

So that we don't confuse you, I will drop out and let him work with you.

Good luck! :)

xkRoWx
Dec 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
It looks like xkRoWx is helping you as well.

So that we don't confuse you, I will drop out and let him work with you.

Good luck! :)

A Demi-God is always better than a newbie. You can always correct me if I'm wrong :)

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
THANKS GUYS,

I'm going to give this a whirl and see what happens!

I'll keep you posted!

xkRoWx
Dec 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
THANKS GUYS,

I'll keep you posted!

You can add me on MSN, AIM or Skype and I will be more than happy to help you. Its much faster with IM programs.

Give me a private message if you do need my contact info.

sushi
Dec 28, 2007, 08:35 PM
A Demi-God is always better than a newbie. You can always correct me if I'm wrong :)
Not always. :)

You were doing fine. But my concern was that we were going about it a bit differently and I didn't want kozaz to become confused. It's easier to follow one person's directions at times.

So over to you.

THANKS GUYS,

I'll keep you posted!
Please do.

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
OK,
I removed iTunes, hard deleted the itunes directory.

I re-installed iTunes, but it never asked me if "I will allow iTunes to organize my songs" It did this yesterday when I first installed iTunes.

I can't seem to find the setting to turn off "iTunes auto organize songs".

Currently I have iTunes installed and have not did anything yet.

xkRoWx
Dec 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hmm.. Go to Options, there should be a tab that allows you to change the location of iTunes Music folder, along with 2 check boxes, one for "Keep iTunes folder organized" and one "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding files to library".

I'm on Mac, and don't have a PC around to give you exact directions. But it should generally be the same. Check the Options or Tools. Whatever that lets you tweak around the settings of iTunes.

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 09:17 PM

Ok I tried some of the songs to see what happens, I dragged a artist folder into iTunes and it works.

Only problem is, that iTunes only recongonizes my back up source directory and does not put the songs in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music directory.

Maybe I should run the Consolidate Libarary... command then delete the songs and folders in the backup directory?

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hmm.. Go to Options, there should be a tab that allows you to change the location of iTunes Music folder, along with 2 check boxes, one for "Keep iTunes folder organized" and one "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding files to library".

Yes both of those options are unchecked and are located uder the Advanced tab under Edit>Preferneces...

SkyBell
Dec 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
It's unusual that iTunes should crash, even under Windows.

Sure, it doesn't crash under Windows, but in Mac OS X, it's probably the slowest and most crash-prone app there is.

bmb012
Dec 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
Well, I would check 'allow iTunes to manage my library' and 'copy songs to itunes library,' then just do file, add to library, select your backup, then let itunes copy everything for you, and if all the missing files copy correctly, just delete the backup.

kozaz
Dec 28, 2007, 09:45 PM
Ok I tried some of the songs to see what happens, I dragged a artist folder into iTunes and it works.

Only problem is, that iTunes only recongonizes my back up source directory and does not put the songs in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music directory.

Maybe I should run the Consolidate Libarary... command then delete the songs and folders in the backup directory?

OK..
I figured it out, I made sure the "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding files to library" check box is checked and the "Keep iTunes folder organized" Un Checked.

After dragging all backup folders into iTunes, it re-populated the iTunes Music folder.

Thanks for all the help and extra kudos to xkRoWx.

Now I have to see what happens, after I re-check the "Keep iTunes folder organized".

sushi
Dec 30, 2007, 08:59 AM
Now I have to see what happens, after I re-check the "Keep iTunes folder organized".
Well, is everything working okay?