Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Hey all,
I have a sawtooth with a 1.6 Ghz G4. This thing has 4 fans! One on the graphics card, one on the processor upgrade, on near the HDs on the side of the case and one in the power supply. This thing is noisy as hell! This is a problem because I record music on it and dont want the fan noise. Can I possibly turn off the fans near the HD or the on in the power supply to cut down on noise? Or will this really cause my sawtooth to over heat beacuse with 4 fans already in it I was looking at the components and they all seemed pretty cool to me. What do you guys think?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Really? I mean I am no expert but when I opened up my tower everything seemed extremely cool. Can I not maybe just slow them down?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The air might not be hot but your upgraded processor and video card are going to fry without their fans.

The power supply would follow next without its fan. The case fan helps drawn in external air.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
The fan for the drive bays can probably be turned off without any adverse effects. However, the CPU, GPU and Power supply do need fans. You can try slowing them down if you know how to use resistors and don't mind experimenting, but its probably better to leave them as they are. Replacing them with quieter fans is your best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.