Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Jeremy Bonan, cc bcc and Traumich note that Mac OS X 10.1.5 is already making the rounds...

MacPlus and TheMox have brief articles... which simply quote the supplied readme:

Mac OS X Update 10.1.5 delivers enhancements which improve the reliability of Mac OS X applications, delivers improved networking, security, and expanded peripheral device support. Specific improvements include:

Peripheral Device Support:
-Expanded support for new Canon digital cameras
-Improved support for Nikon FireWire cameras
-Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices
-Improved support for MO drives

Application Improvements:
-Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock
-Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox
-Updated Carbon applications can use Quartz anti-aliasing technology for high quality text display

Networking and Security Improvements:
-Improves networking via AFP when accessing multi-level directories on Windows NT file servers
-Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes
-Mail accounts go off-line to indicate that SSL encryption settings are not supported by the mail server

WebDAV Improvements:
-More efficient iDisk mounting and file navigation
-Added support for connecting to iDisk using default DNS settings of AirPort
-Support for mounting a WebDAV volume from a non-standard http port

Asian Language Improvements:
-Significant updates to the Korean Input Method, especially important when using AppleWorks
-Internet Connect and Airport applications updated with Chinese and Korean localized content

Smasher

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Interesting...

...suddenly Rugby 's "this is not the last update before 10.2" (see 10.1.4 thread, page 2) sounds a lot more credible.

Not something to get worked up about, but certainly good stuff. Likely this is the last fix to take care of all the bugs, while they finish up/test/whatever 10.2.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: Interesting...

Originally posted by Smasher
...suddenly Rugby 's "this is not the last update before 10.2" (see 10.1.4 thread, page 2) sounds a lot more credible.

True.

Does this mean that 10.1.5 isn't far away, or is it in early development. Care to elaborate arn?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It is rather strange that the release came so soon after 10.1.4. Do they have so many people working on different 'fixes' for all the bugs and support issues that they'll just keep flooding us with 10.1.x's? If they had waited and released it all together, how much of a difference would that have made?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
It is rather strange that the release came so soon after 10.1.4. Do they have so many people working on different 'fixes' for all the bugs and support issues that they'll just keep flooding us with 10.1.x's? If they had waited and released it all together, how much of a difference would that have made?

I'm certain that feature sets for (let's say) 10.1.4 is "frozen" at some point... where no _new_ features are to be added... simply stablizing and fixing the current features...

while they might continue on implementing new features in (let's say) 10.1.5.

Just conjecture...

arn

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I really can't wait for Spring Loading folders and fast iDisks.

AA in Carbon apps will also be very welcome!

Ensign

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet

We are the beta test team.

I think I'm going to wait until a complete installer on CD is available.

I haven't seen any new or real bugs reported with 10.1.4 yet, just the usual, "Hey it overwrote my iApp folder, because I moved it from where the installer expected it" report, or the "Its still doing what it did last time" report. That is, it doesn't seem to be a build to quickly correct a wrong turn in 10.1.4 (and it may not be released that soon either, just becaue someone leaked their advance knowledge doesn't mean it will be in the Software Update panel tomorrow)

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: 10.1.5 Already?

Originally posted by arn

Application Improvements:

-Updated Carbon applications can use Quartz anti-aliasing technology for high quality text display

"Updated" Carbon... so does that mean we'll have to wait for patches from the individual software authors? Or will this automatically mean AA in IE, etc?

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
nothing...

I got nothin... pardon the english but when I ran software update nothing happened. I'm up to date with 10.1.4 on all 3 of my machines. When I ran the updater it said that I was up to date...? I guess I'll try tomorrow.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: nothing...

Originally posted by theranch
I got nothin... pardon the english but when I ran software update nothing happened. I'm up to date with 10.1.4 on all 3 of my machines. When I ran the updater it said that I was up to date...? I guess I'll try tomorrow.

I'm sorry if I implied it was out...10.1.5 is only available in beta/underground circles

arn

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by arn

I'm certain that feature sets for (let's say) 10.1.4 is "frozen" at some point... where no _new_ features are to be added... simply stablizing and fixing the current features...

while they might continue on implementing new features in (let's say) 10.1.5.

Just conjecture...

arn

What OSX needs is support for PC ports so peecee users can upgrade without throwing away their peripherals and devices. Maybe a PCI card with parallel, ps2 and serial port on it. Under $100 andsome sort of provision for an extension that sends the proper commands to the port based on what DOS/Win might do.

Jerry

sergeantmudd

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2002
Carbon antialaising?

No way that Carbon anti-aliasing will make it into 10.1.x release. Something that complicated changes alot of underlying code, which will probably break support for a good deal of Carbon applications, and Apple is not going to piss developers off by not waiting for a 10.x release. Besides, something this big would make a good presentation at a keynote.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I went searching for it and its there
but I don't want to install it
It could be a dud and its nothin got mess with

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
ya spring loaded folders would be cool, but I want command-drap window scrolling (like in IE)

I use that a *LOT* in OS 9

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
This is really good news!!

If they are going to fix the NT server issues before 10.2 then this means that large segments will not have to purchase 10.2 just to get what they were promissed in 10.0

Thus side stepping many potential class action lawsuits.

I am looking forward to 10.1.5 since 10.1.4 only fixed some of the issues on NT with 3com hubs.

Newborn77

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
Sherlock

"Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock"

At last! Sherlock really needs to be fixed. The thing crashes every time after loading 3 or 4 ads. That's the only thing that keeps me from using it as my main search engine. After all... it is a VERY useful utility (sans the bugs).

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
I've got the 10.1.5 beta and it works great... it's realy great that mail doesn't crash all the time.

Originally posted by sergeantmudd
No way that Carbon anti-aliasing will make it into 10.1.x release. Something that complicated changes alot of underlying code, which will probably break support for a good deal of Carbon applications, and Apple is not going to piss developers off by not waiting for a 10.x release. Besides, something this big would make a good presentation at a keynote.

It's an update of the AA in carbon apps. I think they'll finish it in 10.2...

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: Sherlock

Originally posted by Newborn77
"Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock"

At last! Sherlock really needs to be fixed. The thing crashes every time after loading 3 or 4 ads. That's the only thing that keeps me from using it as my main search engine. After all... it is a VERY useful utility (sans the bugs).

Try Watson if you haven't yet, if you find sherlock still useful for the web.

I want Sherlocks functionality as a local file search engine returned.. I always searched by file type and creator in the custom field by dragging and dropping the file on the options dialog. I saw a third party OS X app providing exactly this function earlier today, so it is possible for that to work in Sherlock again, despite the differences in how OS X might see or noit see resource fork file info.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Two reactions about Quartz AA in Carbon apps:
1. Cool! It's about time...
2. Oh no! The worlds slowest build of IE just got that much slower! ;)

I am also surprised that they don't include the updated ATI drivers in with the OS updates. Not everyone checks Versiontracker daily, and it would go a ways to quell the "gui is slow" whining to have all the capable ATI chips out there with their 2d acceleration enabled again. If they update printer drivers through software update, they should update the video drivers too through the same mechanism either inside the OS update or separate release.

The pattern has been a 10.1.x update every two months, but I wouldn't be surprised if 10.1.5 comes in within just a month from now because 10.1.4 really didn't have much in it, and they probably don't want to release 10.1.5 too close to 10.2.. which most think ships in June at MacWorld..

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
On the subject of AA Text...

I remember the head of the MacBU at M$ saying that they're working 'Closely with apple on making AA text available in the entire Office Suite' on YML the other day... I assume that he was including IE in that... although we all know that IE is a completely inseperable part of Windows :D. Speaking of which, does anyone know when Bill testifies?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
hm... ok so 10.1.5 might come out soon, thats the best guess, but here are a couple other guesses:

1) the 10.1.5 build floating around is actually a branch of 10.2 not a real 10.1.5

2) 10.2 is a long way off and the 10.1.5 will come out in a few months in order to keep us satisfied until 10.2 comes out.

well like i said these are just alternative hypotheses, i still think the 10.1.5 soon hypothesis is most likely, but these other ideas are something to give consideration to.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
10.1.5 soon, 10.2 in the summer

I think we'll see 10.1.5 soon. If someone has a beta, and "it's working great", it should not be far away. Early system betas from Apple tent to not work great (like one of the early 10.2 betas I tried).

10.2 should be released this summer. Steve is not going to showcase a 10.1.x build at WWDC, and he's not going to showcase something that's six months or more away. Seybold at latest for 10.2, most likely MWNY this July!

My 2 ¢

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.