PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need Tiger to use an iPod?

Doctor Q
Dec 29, 2007, 01:10 AM
Here, from the Apple Store, are the minimum requirements for iPod use on a Mac:iPod shuffle - Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
iPod nano - Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
iPod classic - Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
iPod touch - Mac OS X v10.4.10 or laterIn other words, you need Tiger or Leopard.

But why? These iPods can be used under Windows, so they aren't dependent on Mac OS X-only features. What do they require that is in only Tiger or later?

It's not an issue for me, but a Mac user I know discovered that he couldn't use his new iPod nano on his Mac mini with Panther, even though the iPod worked on his PC, and he challenged me to explain the technical reason why Apple didn't maintain compatibility with older OS software. And, he reasoned, if iPods work under Windows, how could it be harder to support Apple's own (older) operating systems?

Eidorian
Dec 29, 2007, 01:11 AM
Remember Windows 2000 support for iTunes?

EricNau
Dec 29, 2007, 01:13 AM
That's interesting because you don't need Tiger for iTunes:
iTunes 7.5 - Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later or Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later

...I would think an iPod should be compatible with any computer capable of running iTunes. :confused:

sushi
Dec 29, 2007, 01:14 AM
Good question.

Just guessing. Maybe with the rewrite of the Mac OS between the Panther and Tiger versions, Apple changed some of the sync'ing code and APIs to the extent that the iPods will only work with Tiger 10.8 or newer.

QuarterSwede
Dec 29, 2007, 01:14 AM
It's not technically impossible for Apple to support older versions of Tiger and Panther, they just choose not to.

Doctor Q
Dec 29, 2007, 01:21 AM
That's interesting because you don't need Tiger for iTunes:
iTunes 7.5 - Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later or Mac OS X 10.4.7 or laterExactly. That's why we found it so strange that he could install an updated iTunes yet his iPod still wouldn't work. He'll have to return the iPod or pay for a new O.S., which he wasn't eager to do.

It's not technically impossible for Apple to support older versions of Tiger and Panther, they just choose not to.It saves them on testing and customer service, I suppose, but the fact is that they lose sales like the one to the guy I talked to.

EricNau
Dec 29, 2007, 01:25 AM
It saves them on testing and customer service, I suppose, but the fact is that they lose sales like the one to the guy I talked to.
I wonder how many people will upgrade to Tiger/Leopard just for this reason, and how that compares to the money lost to people who simply won't buy an iPod. ...I'm sure Apple comes out ahead, otherwise they would support Panther.

motulist
Dec 29, 2007, 01:26 AM
OMG! Thank you for reminding me! I was about to go all the way into the city to the 24/7 Apple store in NY to finally buy myself my first pmp ever, and I would've gotten all the way back home with my shiny new toy and realized that I couldn't use it just because I'm running an old OS!

Thank you for reminding me and saving me a huge disappointment!!!

:D

I wonder how many people will upgrade to Tiger/Leopard just for this reason, and how that compares to the money lost to people who simply won't buy an iPod. ...I'm sure Apple comes out ahead, otherwise they would support Panther.

Apple know exactly what they're doing. I've been somewhat wanting to upgrade my OS for a long time, but even more I've really greatly wanted to get a pmp and for a much longer time. After a very long an arduous multi-year decision process waiting for the right device at the right time, now that I've finally decide that I want to buy an iPod classic, I don't want to wait any longer, and this is as good a reason as any to finally bite the bullet and upgrade my OS.

So at least in my case, tethering the new iPod to 10.4 and above has also lead to an OS upgrade purchase that otherwise may never have happened.

Darn you Apple! :p

riker1384
Jan 9, 2008, 04:20 PM
I got an Ipod Classic for Christmas and now I can't use it. I'm not going to buy a new computer just to use an Ipod, and I'm not going to buy a new OS for a computer that's getting old. This is ridiculous. I'm probably going to have to get it returned.

nslyax
Jan 9, 2008, 06:14 PM
The last time I checked, my iPod still works in OS 9, then again it is a 2nd gen 10 gig.

I presume it all comes down to whatever version of iTunes first supported that iPod and what Apple feels like providing support for.

thejadedmonkey
Jan 10, 2008, 02:21 PM
The last time I checked, my iPod still works in OS 9, then again it is a 2nd gen 10 gig.

I presume it all comes down to whatever version of iTunes first supported that iPod and what Apple feels like providing support for.

that iPod was the hay-day of Apple design.