PDA

View Full Version : Stolen iPods

sorrycharlie
Dec 29, 2007, 06:05 AM
My girlfriend and I each had a 60 GB iPod Video 5G. Hers was white and mine was black. They were stolen out of my car about a week ago. I know there's no way to recover these but some questions arose. Do any of you know if Apple can brick these iPods through iTunes if anyone tries to connect with them? It seems to me that if there isn't a way to do this by giving Apple the serial numbers, then there should be. Then again, if that were the case, anyone could just write down the serial number of someone's iPod and just call Apple and have them mess up their iPod through iTunes just to play a joke or seek revenge on them. *sigh* I just wish there were a way I could go back in time and make sure they wouldn't get stolen, or a way I could receive $350 out of nowhere to go buy a new 160 GB iPod. Have any of you ever had your iPods stolen or lost? I'd like to read some of your stories, just so I don't feel so bad about mine being stolen. :(

psychofreak
Dec 29, 2007, 06:13 AM
If you know the serial give it to Apple so they can look out for it...

teleromeo
Dec 29, 2007, 06:42 AM
I engraved mine with my emailadress so it becomes almost unsellable when someone steals it. Also when he should get lost the honest finder can contact me.

wasimyaqoob
Dec 29, 2007, 07:05 AM
haha thats such a good idea, engraving your email address into the iPod!

hexonxonx
Dec 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
If you know the serial give it to Apple so they can look out for it...

Apple will not do anything. There was an NBC dateline show about this. They had left some iPods laying around and people stole them. When they contacted Apple about trying to recover the stolen iPods, they were told by Apple that they would do nothing. I think the main reason was due to the quantity of iPods out there in the world.

SLC Flyfishing
Dec 29, 2007, 10:41 AM
It's also a matter of proof, like someone mentioned before anyone could just give them a serial number and ask for it to be located. I'd think that Apple could find out who's library a certain serial number had been synced to. Then it would be easy to locate.

I asked a neighbor who is a joint MBA/Law Student and who wants to do something similar to this after he graduates about this. He said that basically no corporation wants to open up the proverbial can of worms that this would entail. There's the issue of the literally thousands of iPods that are stolen or go missing each week a huge expense in man power to have people to track these down. also there's nothing to stop someone from giving an iPod to someone else and then tracking them down and accusing them of stealing it. And then there's the lawsuits that would likely come when people realized that Apple had a way to access information about when and where they used their iPod. People are paranoid about stuff like this.

It's similar to the GPS system on your cellphone, the cell company can track it but they absolutely wont unless there is an emergency and it may save your life. There's too much percieved risk in it for them!

I also had an iPod stolen from my car, it sucks but that's life I suppose. Luckily for me, my wife got a new Macbook a few weeks later and we got an identical replacement free of cost as part of a promotion for college students.

SLC

Xeem
Dec 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
haha thats such a good idea, engraving your email address into the iPod!

...until the thief gets pissed and absolutely buries your address in spam...