PDA

View Full Version : Second Video Card for Dual G5?

BicyclePunk
Oct 6, 2003, 09:18 AM
Got the new dualie...finally...and I went out and bought two NEC MultiSync LCD1700v monitors. I have both of them running through the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card that comes with the machine. But the monitors look crappy. Is it the grade of monitors (kind of cheap ones [17" for $380 each]) or would a second video card help. I'll probably just need better monitors, but any insight will help. The text just looks like hell on the new monitors. Thanks.

yamabushi
Oct 6, 2003, 10:01 AM
I think the ati 9800 pro should be more than capable of handling both of those. Make sure both are set at their native (or reccomended) resolution. Lower resolutions often make the screen image a bit fuzzy on LCDs.

NicoMan
Oct 6, 2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by yamabushi
I think the ati 9800 pro should be more than capable of handling both of those. Make sure both are set at their native (or reccomended) resolution. Lower resolutions often make the screen image a bit fuzzy on LCDs.
I would guess that it's more than likely that the monitors are the problem. You definitely don't need those graphics cards to power 2 17" LCDs. At my office, we use the stock Radeon 9000 Pro (that came with MDDs) to power 2 1600*1200 Iiyama LCDs (model 5131, if you must know) without a problem.

Again, make sure that you are running them in their native resolution. Probably 1280*1024. And then, because you are likely to use a analog interface (correct here if I'm wrong), there have to be menus on the monitors to correct things like focus and geometry. Most modern monitors come with a AUTO button that does it all for you.

aphexist
Oct 6, 2003, 10:27 AM
If you have the option to connect one LCDs to the DVI interface and the other to the ADC port (ADC->DVI adapter), I would go that route. If you have one digital and one analog, there are going to be some noticible, but acceptable color differences between the two.

Right now it just sounds like you don't have those puppies set to 1280x1024.

baby duck monge
Oct 6, 2003, 09:48 PM
easiest way to see if you would need another video card would be trying to run only one monitor. even if these were the hottest monitors you could get (and they're not), you would be able to run at least one.

if it still looks funny (which it should), either the resolution is off, or it's just not a great monitor to begin with.

BicyclePunk
Oct 7, 2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks, everyone! Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that it is crappy monitors. I have three different flat panels here that I am trying. When I decide I like one, I will go out and buy a second. We'll see...(pun intended). Thanks!