Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jess212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Hello :) I tried searching to see if there were any previously answered posts that could help me but I didn't come across any that answered my question. But I deeply apologize if I'm re-asking something....

I have an iBook, had it for awhile, almost 3 years. So no warranties or Apple Care or anything like that so I can't just take it and let them look at it and figure out the problem for free. But here's the problem - Last week I go to turn it on and nothing happens. No noise, no fan, no screen, nothing. And I'm not sure if its the battery or my power cord is broke. I don't want to buy one and it end up being the other that's broke. Here's a couple details...

1) I haven't replaced my battery since I bought it, so that makes me think maybe the battery is dead, but there's still no power when I plug the power cord in.
2) When I turn it over and press that button on the battery it doesn't light up at all. BUT that could be b/c the power cord isn't charging it...
3) I've been pretty rough on my power cord over the last three years, its been yanked, bent, etc. When I plug it in to the computer the light around the tip turns green. But the computer doesn't turn on. When I looked at the cord it looks like the prong in the center might be broken off, I'm pretty sure it used to be a rounded tip and now it looks flat, kinda like the tip has been broke off or something. So that led me to believe that maybe it wasn't connecting with the comp. But why would the light be green? And I read online that you can power your iBook just with the power cord if your battery is dead, so wouldn't it still get power from the cord if the battery needed replacing? This all leads me to think the power cord has just bit the dust. But that green light coming on like its working makes me weary and makes me question the battery.

I'm so throughly confused by all this, anyone who could offer advice would be so greatly appreicated. Thanks so much in advance. :eek:

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
The same thing happened to my 3 year old iBook about a month ago. I ended up taking it to the Apple store and begged them to let me plug it into one of their iBook power cords. Theirs worked fine so I bought a new power cord. Problem solved. Hopefully your situation won't be more complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.