PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where one can hunt down a iBook Clamshell?

Ilovemygeek
Dec 29, 2007, 04:43 PM
I have a Blackbook Santa Rosa and yet, I'm still really itching to get a clamshell for traveling (I fear damaging my brand new Macbook flying as the last time I did the TSA dumped a guy behind me's laptop upside down in security and I'd like something a wee bit more durable) any ideas if those are able to be found anywhere?

heatmiser
Dec 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-ibook-g3-prices.html

mad jew
Dec 29, 2007, 04:45 PM
This thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=406297) has some good ideas for places to buy older laptops.

mrkramer
Dec 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
craiglist, the marketplace forum here, or ebay are your best chances.

Ilovemygeek
Dec 29, 2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks, sadly I've tried most of those places, but they don't have clamshells. The clamshells are proving to be harder to track down then I anticipated. I'm amenable to just about anywhere but Ebay, I just don't trust Ebay. I did find a couple on one site but they were the CD roms and had non-tested batteries. I'm ideally trying to hunt down a DVDRom one if that isn't a possibility, I say the most important thing would be for it to be Airport ready and to have a tested battery.

Bummer, none in my state on Craig's list. Le sigh

CalBoy
Dec 29, 2007, 04:57 PM
Just why do you want a clamshell exactly?

Since you have a blackbook already, I suggest a much cheaper alternative. Accidentally scratch your macbook and you'll get over that fear real fast. ;) :p

As for the actual worry about durability, I think the macbook is surprisingly durable. The plastic is pretty tough and you can be sure to tell them to handle your notebook carefully (I'd be watching their every move, and if they do damage it, get their information and inform them that you will be compensated).

heatmiser
Dec 29, 2007, 04:57 PM
Did you try the sites in the link I posted? Because there are clamshells available in dozens of places there.

Ilovemygeek
Dec 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
LOL the blackbook is ok, but honestly its just not as cute as the Clamshells were, they disapeared right before I was looking for my first laptop back in the day and I've wanted one ever since. I almost got the Clamshell a couple months ago when I found tons, but opted for the hot mess of a MBP and after several loops of bad screens, I got the Macbook and while its great to use at home, I have no intention of letting it get scratched. I'm anal with my gadgets and to this day my 5.5 generation iPod doesn't have a single scratch on it. I fly a lot and honestly the TSA is a bunch of neanderthals, they literally laughed when this guy's laptop flipped and when I mentioned how glad I was that it wasn't mine the TSA guy laughed at me and said "They computer is like twice as much as yours" :eek: I tried that link, maybe I missed one of them, I'll go back and double check :c)

heatmiser
Dec 29, 2007, 05:13 PM
If you scroll down in the link, you see this:

Best Clamshell iBook Prices

* HOT 300, $100, Custom Macs
* 366 graphite, $200, PowerBook Guy

If you go to those sites, you see this: http://www.custommacs.com/store.html

and this: http://www.powerbookguy.com/xcart/catalog/Systems-price0-p-1-c-348.html

Ilovemygeek
Dec 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
OMG, how funny, the second link I had checked out the other day and they now have more stock. LOL thanks!

Ilovemygeek
Dec 30, 2007, 10:32 AM
sweet, I just bought a Blueberry clamshell for 75.00. My next stop once I get it is attempt to fit in a bigger hardrive, max out the RAM and see if its possible to swap out the CD drive for a DVD ROM. I'm excited to have a new project.

skyrider007
Dec 30, 2007, 10:39 AM
sweet, I just bought a Blueberry clamshell for 75.00. My next stop once I get it is attempt to fit in a bigger hardrive, max out the RAM and see if its possible to swap out the CD drive for a DVD ROM. I'm excited to have a new project.

Enjoy. Can the thing run Leopard and does it have AirPort WiFi?

Ilovemygeek
Dec 30, 2007, 10:43 AM
it has OS 9.2 and I don't know if it has the card, but it is Airport compatible. I have a Blackbook Santa Rosa Macbook that is my main laptop. (Along with a Mac Mini and a PC Tower for Gaming) this one is going to be my travel toy. As soon as I upgrade a few things and (hopefully get DVD Rom in it, if not I have an external) test the battery it will be perfect for my business trips where all I really need is internet and the ability to watch movies on it. Plus its freaking Blue, I'm amused.