PDA

View Full Version : selling ibook--how can i restore Tiger without a DVD drive?

ardavis324
Dec 29, 2007, 06:07 PM
My superdrive does not work, therefore I cannot just do the normal erase and restore. I dont have access to any other external drives.

I don't neccessarily need a fresh install, in fact i'd like to sell it with some of the current applications remaining on it, however I would like all of my personal data to be erased. I dont have financial records or things of that nature on it, but I dont want any passwords or logs of emails and things to remain. Is there a way to restore or delete all personal info and files so that the ibook will be safe to sell?

(i used the search function and could not find an answer to this specific question, all replies are much appreciated)

ardavis324
Dec 30, 2007, 02:46 PM
i didnt imagine this too be too difficult, perhaps it is? any reply would be appreciated.

Patrickool93
Dec 30, 2007, 03:35 PM
Do you have another mac capable of booting off a Tiger DVD? If you do, take a 6 pin to 6 pin FireWire cable and connect it between the macs. Boot the iBook holding down "T" until a FireWire logo begins bouncing around the screen. The iBooks hard drive should mount on the other computers desktop. Put the Tiger in the other computers DVD drive and boot off it, and select the iBooks HD, then select the type of install you want. Maybe Archive and Install would e best? Then you could install it.