Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
I have decided that the best thing for my wife would be an iMac, it just makes sense: she'll use it may be once or twice a month to do some work from home and that is check emails, review documents (Word) - she is a lawyer!! - and possibly some web surfing (very little I would think).

Anyway the iMac seems good as it takes minimal amount of place, no cluttering etc. Now however the only undecision I have (and it may sound stupid given her usage) is whether I should consider the 17". Normally the 1Ghz, 15" would be perfect, the only doubt I have is for the graphic card which seems to be an old piece of c***p on the 15". You know, even surfing the web nowdays requires some graphic performance ! Anyhow, the graphic card would be the only reason for me to get the 17". No need for larger screen and no need for the unsignificant .25Mhz faster processor. Sure my son would probably use it a little for games (I prefer not to install that stuff on my powermac) but he is 2.5yo so I doubt he'll play any demanding games graphic wise.

What would you guys think ? am I overthinking about this ?

BTW: where would you get it ? it'd nice to avoid Apple just to save taxes, I mean, not major but hey....

thx

MightyB

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
I guess then it really comes down to budget, and how much you want to spend.

I think the extra bucks are worth the upgrades, so it is a smart decision either way.

If the funds allow, go for the 17".

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
with a child around i think the highend emac would be a good choice,in fact mac addict mag had it edging out the imac at 1 gig in almost every category. also the emac is a very durable thing where the imac might not do so good with a child near it. just a thought plus you could save some bucks and ramp up the memory and get a few games for the wife and some more gadgets or whatever. did something similar with my wife & kid but had the original crt imac.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
thx guys.
As I was writing my post earlier today it did occur to me that the eMac might be the answer. So, I have decided I am definetely going to ask her if she likes it: if she does I will get that. If not, I am not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.