PDA

View Full Version : How would you improve the Ipod?

brettlz74
Dec 30, 2007, 01:04 AM
What would the perfect Ipod be to you?

Personally, I think it needs a volume rocker on the side of it, It's really frustrating having to go back to the song playing to adjust the volume when you are in other parts of the menu like looking at photos ect....

A customizable graphic equalizer setting alongside all the preset ones.

I would also include Wi-Fi or bluetooth for transfer of data from PC to Ipods.

And the ability to add songs from the Ipod into Itunes.

Otherwise it's a fantastic device.

What do the rest of you think?

(Oh, by the way, please keep this topic on the iPod NOT the iPhone.)

Scarlet Fever
Dec 30, 2007, 01:14 AM
I think bluetooth would be nice, but it'd be a huge leap backwards in terms of transfer speeds. Bluetooth transfers at, what, 100 kilobytes per second? USB 2.0 transfers at a few megabytes per second. It'd take a minute or two to transfer one song; I can't imagine transferring an album, let alone a library.

And Apple are playing it safe by not allowing transfers of music from the iPod to iTunes, because that'd make it dead easy to transfer songs to someone else's library. But I do agree with you, it would be nice to be able to do that.

I'd love to see the clickwheel integrated into the body of the iPod, so the front case is one big piece (with a hole for the display, obviously). I'll do a mockup and post it here :)

mcarnes
Dec 30, 2007, 02:48 AM
Basically, a customizable iPhone without the phone. And more flash storage, which will come later.

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 30, 2007, 02:52 AM
Make it better? For starters, let's put the physical buttons back on them.

And bring back the previous gen nano. The new one is too stumpy, and feels iphone-esque when it comes to grip (or lack thereof)

Consultant
Dec 30, 2007, 04:58 AM
Basically, a customizable iPhone without the phone. And more flash storage, which will come later.

That is available, it's an "iPod touch"

Make it better? For starters, let's put the physical buttons back on them.

And bring back the previous gen nano. The new one is too stumpy, and feels iphone-esque when it comes to grip (or lack thereof)

There are physical buttons on iPod and iPod classic.

Previous gen nano can still be purchased.

You can set so that hitting the home button twice on iPod touch or iPhone will bring up the music playing interface. iPhone has that very tiny click on headphone that allows you to skip songs so mostly no need to use the interface.

psychofreak
Dec 30, 2007, 05:03 AM
I still prefer the 3G's buttons to the clickwheel, and I think the Classic should have an inbuilt FM radio, but its not gonna happen...

thejadedmonkey
Dec 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
I'd like the following, in no order.

1) Buttons that light up. Totally useless, but it'd look really cool to see the little play/pause icon glow like the 3G does!

2) FM tuner

3) Bluetooth for headphones and data transfer (then I'd never need to take my iPod out of my car!

I think in the past few years Apple has been too stagnant with updates, and really needs to do something to the "classic" iPod to keep it current with todays standards.

student_trap
Dec 30, 2007, 02:54 PM
And bring back the previous gen nano. The new one is too stumpy

I totally agree with this, however I would improve the new ipods in one way:

I'd make the interface as smooth as it was before the ipods gained video playback. scrolling through a large number of artists is really clunky now; to me, ipods have lost sight of steves original desire for an mp3 player which was wonderful to use

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2007, 03:12 PM
Bring back the 4G iPod (monochrome) for $64.99! I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

But realistically, put in an AM/FM tuner (or just FM)

bartelby
Dec 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
2 things:

1) A better DAC

2) A better amp

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
I totally agree with this, however I would improve the new ipods in one way:

I'd make the interface as smooth as it was before the ipods gained video playback. scrolling through a large number of artists is really clunky now; to me, ipods have lost sight of steves original desire for an mp3 player which was wonderful to use

Are you a distant relative or something? Seriously - I noticed the same thing when the video ipods came out - which is EXACTLY what prompted me to return mine.

I agree with you, to say the least.

mmfy
Dec 30, 2007, 07:20 PM
For the Touch:

integrated FM tuner, copy & paste, open SDK, more codecs, more bundled mobile OS X apps :D

Edit: Oh yeah and a flippin volume rocker/button so I can use it w/o looking!

Kashchei
Dec 30, 2007, 07:24 PM
I'm sure someone has already mentioned this in another thread, but for both iTunes and iPods, I'd like the equalizer to adjust automatically depending on the style of the music currently playing.

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
While it's not automatic - I thought you could set the EQ and volume level in itunes for a particular song - and it would go to that setting once the song was played?

Or are the mushrooms affecting me again?

wallaby
Dec 30, 2007, 07:31 PM
The only real thing I'd ask for is improved battery life, which they've been doing with each successive update. Charging less for accessories would be nice, too ($40 for a dock?!)

eRondeau
Dec 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
I want a super-bright LED video projector on the edge of it, so I can set it down and point it at a white screen and watch a video with all my friends.

Other than that, it already is The Perfect Thing. :apple:

Nadav
Dec 30, 2007, 07:58 PM
For the iPod Classic, I think they should make the click wheel the size of the circle thing they use on the remotes for macs. They would move the tiny click wheel to the very bottom, and extend the screen all the way down until the click wheel, making it a wide screen when turned to the side. They should also give the option for live podcasts, so instead of having an fm tuner when you can tune in whenever you want to whatever station, you could only tune into the podcasts you subscribed to, that way Apple wouldn't lose money in the music store.

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2007, 10:50 PM
For the iPod Classic, I think they should make the click wheel the size of the circle thing they use on the remotes for macs. They would move the tiny click wheel to the very bottom, and extend the screen all the way down until the click wheel, making it a wide screen when turned to the side. They should also give the option for live podcasts, so instead of having an fm tuner when you can tune in whenever you want to whatever station, you could only tune into the podcasts you subscribed to, that way Apple wouldn't lose money in the music store.

I can't stand the small click wheel on the nano, they should make the iPod Classic's wheel that small.