PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new computer....help!!!

Wano
Oct 6, 2003, 02:28 PM
I just traded my 1ghz 17inch powerbook for a dual 1.25ghz g4 with 20inch cinema display. I backed up everything on my firewire hard drive including all my software. I just recieved the powermac this morning and I have been setting it up.

Instead of reinstalling all my software I just copied everything from my external hard drive to the main one cause it's faster. But, one question I have is: With Final Cut Pro with the settings automatically be optemized for the dual processors or do I need to reinstall it completely? Also, soundtrack and livetype wont start up at all..they start bouncing in the dock but they don't launch.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Freg3000
Oct 6, 2003, 02:45 PM
I dunno, I like reinstalling everything. When I get Panther I am going to spend a night reinstalling all of my Apps and transferring all of my music, pictures, and documents. But I am sadistic. :)

I'd just trash everything related to FCP 4, and reinstall. Reinstalling 1 app can't take you that long. That way you can get Soundtrack and LiveType to work, and won't even have to worry if it is optimized for your new machine (which I think it is-but just to be safe).

Good Luck.

Wano
Oct 6, 2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks!

Aight, I will do that as soon as I get my FCP4 discs back. They are with my dad, but it may be a while.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 6, 2003, 06:44 PM
i would reinstall and make shure you have latest updates. nice machine

Catfish_Man
Oct 6, 2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Wano
I just traded my 1ghz 17inch powerbook for a dual 1.25ghz g4 with 20inch cinema display. I backed up everything on my firewire hard drive including all my software. I just recieved the powermac this morning and I have been setting it up.

Instead of reinstalling all my software I just copied everything from my external hard drive to the main one cause it's faster. But, one question I have is: With Final Cut Pro with the settings automatically be optemized for the dual processors or do I need to reinstall it completely? Also, soundtrack and livetype wont start up at all..they start bouncing in the dock but they don't launch.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Final Cut is ALWAYS dual processor aware, even when you don't have dual processors. It would be tons and tons of work to make it switch back and forth, and would get you almost nothing. As for soundtrack and live type, check the crash logs.

Wano
Oct 6, 2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
Final Cut is ALWAYS dual processor aware, even when you don't have dual processors. It would be tons and tons of work to make it switch back and forth, and would get you almost nothing. As for soundtrack and live type, check the crash logs.

So, it doesn't matter if I reinstall it or not?
I just checked the log and it shows that it has crashed everytime i have tried to open it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

VegetaPunk
Oct 6, 2003, 09:14 PM
Did you just copy your apps folder... if so this is probably why you are crashing... many major apps require system resources that are installed in your library so just the app by itself may not run correctly if these things were not transfered as well.

I would re-install all of your major apps (ie FCP Photoshop etc) anything that says "to install drag to folder" is fine to just copy.

Wano
Oct 6, 2003, 09:38 PM
Thank you..will do!

G5orbust
Oct 6, 2003, 09:45 PM
well, Ive found that when you install major programs like Final Cut and Photoshop, the programs install many key things in many different places. I know that when I got my powerbook, I just copied photoshop right over. Now, it hardly runs well because all of the support modules (not the flters, but like the color prefs and things) are all screwy and missing.

Just reinstall. It will take half and hour and you'll be happy you did.