PDA

View Full Version : Apple Panther Announcement... on Wed, the 8th?

MacRumors
Oct 6, 2003, 02:51 PM
With multiple reports of Panther reaching Gold Master and a release coming by the end of the month... everyone is still waiting for the official word from Apple.

One report claims that we will hear news from Apple on Wednesday, October 8th about Panther.

arn
Oct 6, 2003, 02:55 PM
an official announcement would be nice, as it would give answers to who is eligble for upgrade pricing etc...

arn

Freg3000
Oct 6, 2003, 03:15 PM
I hope it is this Wednesday, as I'd rather be anticipating actually getting Panther on a certain date, rather than waiting to find out when it even will be released.

Can't wait.....Panther will rock. :)

mateft
Oct 6, 2003, 03:16 PM
let the pre-orders commence !!!!!!!!!!

johnnyjibbs
Oct 6, 2003, 03:19 PM
Hopes of my "almost here" PB12 being eligible for free upgrade are fading fast...

NitzerX
Oct 6, 2003, 03:41 PM
:D ;)

tutubibi
Oct 6, 2003, 03:48 PM
What happened to Tuesdays as a day for announcements?
So far this year, only iMac was not announced on Tuesday. :D

Powerbook G5
Oct 6, 2003, 03:49 PM
I just want it to come soon before I run out of money to buy it...

synthetickittie
Oct 6, 2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by tutubibi
What happened to Tuesdays as a day for announcements?
So far this year, only iMac was not announced on Tuesday. :D

um no, this year a lot more things were announced on a tuesday. Remember at the beginning of this year when there went about 4 straight tuesdays with something being updated. The only thing I remember for sure was the powermac 1.42, because its what I have and i ordered it the day it came out.

tutubibi
Oct 6, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by synthetickittie
um no, this year a lot more things were announced on a tuesday. Remember at the beginning of this year when there went about 4 straight tuesdays with something being updated. The only thing I remember for sure was the powermac 1.42, because its what I have and i ordered it the day it came out.

That's what I said. Only the latest iMac was not announced on Tuesday.

I hope we will once again have 4 straight announcements, to kick off holiday season shopping. I think we can expect:

- Panther
- updated iBook
- updated eMac
- updated xServe

Maybe some iPod peripheral too :cool:

DreaminDirector
Oct 6, 2003, 04:27 PM
What I think Apple will do is release it on the 30th of October because we all know they love those cute release dates. Wasn't Jaguar release last year at 10:20 at night (or something like that....all I know was I was in line by 9)?

It wouldn't surprise me....

bennetsaysargh
Oct 6, 2003, 05:51 PM
maybe you people with the G5 cards can get the information before us regular people:)

hopefully it will start at 10:30 for the novelty effect;)

i can just imagine it now...
Be here at your local Apple Store on 10/30 at 10:30 pm for thew official release of Panther:)

ZildjianKX
Oct 6, 2003, 06:17 PM
I got money riding on G5 owners not gettng a free upgrade. My G5 shipped on Sept 22nd, and I'm positive I'm not getting a free upgrade (other than my ADC).

JoeRadar
Oct 6, 2003, 06:40 PM
As many people have pointed out, Apple missed the 10/3 release for 10.3, so maybe we should add another decimal in the release number to re-sychnronize the date:

10.3.0 on 10/30 :rolleyes:

No, it isn't as clean. And yes, it primarily only works in the US. Oh well...

GrannySmith_G5
Oct 6, 2003, 06:44 PM
will panther make my buttocks beefier?

rainman::|:|
Oct 6, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by GrannySmith_G5
will panther make my buttocks beefier?

Indeed. It's listed as one of the primary features. I'm quite excited about it, truth be told.

pnw

Powerbook G5
Oct 6, 2003, 07:33 PM
quote:
will panther make my buttocks beefier

Originally posted by paulwhannel
Indeed. It's listed as one of the primary features. I'm quite excited about it, truth be told.

pnw

Heh, I wonder if it'd make my...nevermind... :D

GrannySmith_G5
Oct 6, 2003, 08:03 PM
Is there any need to preorder once it's announced? I should be able to go to my local Apple store the day or day after it's released right? I also heard they only take Educational discounts on hardware in the Apple stores. I thought that was weird.

Powerbook G5
Oct 6, 2003, 08:07 PM
Is there any need to preorder once it's announced? I should be able to go to my local Apple store the day or day after it's released right? I also heard they only take Educational discounts on hardware in the Apple stores. I thought that was weird.

You can do the discounts online from Apple, too.

baby duck monge
Oct 6, 2003, 09:24 PM
this would be good news, indeed. of course, now that i am at school i would have to go to the mall of america store which, of course, will be closed for remodeling at that time. grrrr

coumerelli
Oct 6, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by baby duck monge
this would be good news, indeed. of course, now that i am at school i would have to go to the mall of america store which, of course, will be closed for remodeling at that time. grrrr

:o You're lucky enough to have ANOTHER Apple store about ten miles down the road to go to. Here in Madison, WI, I go to Milwaukee or Schaumburg, IL - at least 1 1/4 hours. :(

dongmin
Oct 6, 2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
maybe you people with the G5 cards can get the information before us regular people:)

hopefully it will start at 10:30 for the novelty effect;)

i can just imagine it now...
Be here at your local Apple Store on 10/30 at 10:30 pm for thew official release of Panther:)

personally I think this is a bad precedent to set. What will we do for 10.4.0? ;)

yujini
Oct 6, 2003, 11:18 PM
Probably 10/4 will be the release date for 10.4.0 :)

necrosmithx
Oct 7, 2003, 02:30 AM
Dammit..

Took delivery of my new 15" AluBook *TODAY*. Sure would be nice to get a free copy of panther since I just bought the computer.

Damn..these keys feel sexay...

bennetsaysargh
Oct 7, 2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by dongmin
What will we do for 10.4.0? ;)

october 40th of course!
hehe:p

RichP
Oct 7, 2003, 10:24 AM
october 40th of course!

Unfortuatly, I think only Bill Gates as control over time and space at this point :(

I dont care about cute dates, I just want the new OS!

Matrix9180
Oct 7, 2003, 01:12 PM
I thought it was a reply from George W. Bush.... sounds more like something he'd say....

And if Billy Gates had control over space time a bug in the software would make it kill his parents so he was never born...

RichP
Oct 7, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Matrix9180
I thought it was a reply from George W. Bush.... sounds more like something he'd say....

And if Billy Gates had control over space time a bug in the software would make it kill his parents so he was never born...

LOL!

Fat Tony
Oct 7, 2003, 02:51 PM
october 40th of course!

Microsoft owns the rights to October 40th.

nologo
Oct 7, 2003, 04:22 PM
october 40th of course!

How about October 4, 2004? :o

Phil Of Mac
Oct 7, 2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by JoeRadar
As many people have pointed out, Apple missed the 10/3 release for 10.3, so maybe we should add another decimal in the release number to re-sychnronize the date:

10.3.0 on 10/30 :rolleyes:

No, it isn't as clean. And yes, it primarily only works in the US. Oh well...

Apple is an American corporation :)

Makosuke
Oct 8, 2003, 01:57 PM
Looks like this rumor wins this round.