PDA

View Full Version : Linksys wireless router slowness...

evil
Oct 6, 2003, 07:19 PM
i just bought a linksys wireless G router the other day.

it was a breeze to set up with my 12 PB, but my internet is way slower now. it is seriously in the dial up modem range of slowness. This happens even if i am literally sitting right next to the router.

any suggestions?
also, could people be using my wireless signal? is there any way to password protect it or anything?

tomf87
Oct 6, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by evil
i just bought a linksys wireless G router the other day.

it was a breeze to set up with my 12 PB, but my internet is way slower now. it is seriously in the dial up modem range of slowness. This happens even if i am literally sitting right next to the router.

any suggestions?
also, could people be using my wireless signal? is there any way to password protect it or anything?

Not necessarily password protected, but you can do a couple of things to help out.

Make sure your router only lets your Airport card connect. You can do this by only allowing certain MAC addresses. Get your MAC address from Applications -> Utilities ->Network Utility. On the Info tab, select your Airport card. Jot down the hardware address. Next configure your router with only that MAC address as authorized. Sometimes they are referred to as a MAC filter.

You can also implement WEP. You will want to do this while connected via an ethernet cable, because as soon as you enable WEP, you'll drop your wireless connection. So, in the Linksys config, select WEP as mandatory and hit the WEP Key Setting button. Check to make sure WEP is set to 128-bit, and punch in a passphrase. I usually just hit a bunch of keys so I generate something random. Now hit Generate. Copy that new WEP key. Enter that into your Airport configuration and you're connected again!