Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colbyord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
i can't figure out how to transfer files from my roommates win98 machine to my flat panel imac. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Don't you have a CD burner in the PC?

Find a usb ZIP drive.

You can use a Ethernet cable but that is a bit complicated to make the set up.

Those are th things that come to my mind.

the Ethernet cable if the firt solution but is the most messy. To find a zip drive or an external CD burner for the PC and burn the files from it would be the best solution.

colbyord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
unfortunately the pc does not have a burner. all i have at the moment is an ethernet cable.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
if both computers are hooked up thru a cable modem send it over the internet or through aim or something. If the files are small enough send an e-mail to yourself.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
Are they hooked up to a hub or router if so it isnt that painful to get the mac talking to the pc.... if you just have an ethernet cable it wont work to plug it into both machines, this requires a crossover cable, the wiring is different in these.

colbyord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
i would prefer to know how to do it by connecting the 2 computers with the ethernet cord. unless it is a huge undertaking.

colbyord

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
well you would have to buy a crossover cable, then you would make a new profile on the windows machine (log and pass) then go to the properties of your "c" drive and click the sharing tab... then click new share or group or something like that. Add that new user to the share group and give them all permissions (read write etc) Now are you using OS X or 9??

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Short answer: MacWindows.com

Long answer: Hook up both computers through an ethernet cable with either a cross-over cable (Mac may be able to auto-sense so you might be able to use a straight through) or use a hub or switch (ignore the internet for now).

On the iMac, in System Preference, in Sharing turn on Windows File Sharing. From your PC add a new network place and type in \\your.ip.address.here\username and then your password. Then copy all your files from the PC to your iMac. Time for cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.