PDA

View Full Version : Taking apart my iPT

imgonephishin
Dec 30, 2007, 10:07 PM
I explained this in a different thread, but long story short I spilled a drink on my iPT and now it just keeps restarting every few seconds. If it hasn't come to life soon and Apple's support can't help me, I might resort to opening the Touch up and trying to clean some of the contacts with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol. Has anyone seen any info online about how the open the Touch and get inside? I couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
Get into it ASAP. DISCONNECT the battery or power source if it's seriously drenched. (if soldered - cut one of the wires or desolder it - to remove power from the battery)

In the interim - throw it into a plastic bag with dry rice or desiccant.

The more moisture you get out now - the better the likelihood it'll survive.

They have a water "sensor" that changes color - so warranty is now void.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/15/ipod_touch_tear_down_with_high_quality_internal_photos.html

Good luck, and DRY it out. And BE PATIENT - it may take some days depending on your success in opening - if you power it up prematurely - it could cause further damage.
if in a sticky substance - clean / wash with de ionized or distilled water, and dry.

imgonephishin
Dec 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, it may be too late for some of those suggestions now. Part of the problem is that I didn't realize the extent of the damage until too late. I spilled a cocktail on my desk (grapefruit juice and gin) and only a little got on the Touch. Honestly, it didn't look like much at all to me. A few drops got down near the connector. I powered it up and the thing ran just fine. Pleased with averting a near disaster, I dried it off and went to bed. The next morning, I plugged it into my iMac and it said it was damaged and needed to restore firmware. After doing that, though, it wouldn't boot up fully (keeps restarting every 5 seconds or so). And yes, the water damage indicator in the headphone jack changed color.

I'm taking your advice and I put it in a zip-lock bag with some rice but it's likely too little, too late. The damage may well be done already and I may have fragged it booting it up and plugging it into the iMac. I hope I'm never dumb/clumsy enough to do this again down the road, but if I do, I'll remember your tips.

If all else fails, though, I'm still interested to hear from anyone who has a suggestion about opening the case.

P.S. I love your Thaddeus Venture avatar

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 31, 2007, 01:16 AM
I can't wait for Venture Brothers season 3. :)

On your ipod - I've had many ipods open in the past - no iphones or touches (yet) - but most of the newer batch seem to open in the same way.

Here is a photo of one that is already open - and I see the same attachment method used.

Using a plastic wedge(s) (or "ipod tool" - which can be found on many websites selling battery kits, but you can improvise or make one just as easy).

And a flat-tip exacto, or "beaver blade".

Couple of paper towels, or something to give you a semi-padded work surface so you don't scratch things up.

Try to bear with my 10 second drawing here. But with the red "a" arrows - show the sides where it is snapped into place. Following the green "b" arrows - insert the beaver blade between the metal back and front plate (where the metal back plate STOPS there should be a small "seam" - insert the blade at the same angle the red arrows are pointing. (in from the side, then pointing into the back of the ipod touch) - Gently, but firmly, push the blade in and bulge out the side enough to get an old credit card, or license - something plastic but fairly rigid yet flexible. Be careful not to pierce the battery (you can get an idea where it is from the pic) Use the plastic "tool" (not the metal blade) and move up and down, gradually working it further in, so you can go from the top to the bottom on the side, and it will "click" and pop out. Do the same for the other side. (which should be a lot easier) It appears that the top and bottom do NOT have this - so only the sides should need to be done.

Re-assembly is just carefully lining the two pieces up, and "snapping" them together. (use a flat surface, and don't push on the LCD - push from the back metal panel, near the edges - put it on even, not one side at a time)

Now - as for the cleanup - should you open it up successfully - if it's sticky, use deionized or distilled water (will not harm things) don't try to dry it off using a paper towel or anything - the components can be torn off the PCB this way. (unless you *dab* carefully - don't rub) Otherwise, Blow it off with compressed air, and let it dry out completely before re-assembling. The plastic bag and dry rice should do the trick after a couple of days.

Good luck - be careful - and don't get mad at me if things go balls-up. :D

synth3tik
Dec 31, 2007, 01:23 AM
I spilled a cocktail on my desk (grapefruit juice and gin)

That is not a cocktail, it's a "purple drank" The "syzrup".

Anyway I hope you are able to save the iPod. Since it was not just water and it was not just now I am afraid I have no ideas for you.

imgonephishin
Dec 31, 2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the detailed instructions, Big-TDI-Guy. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I'm only going to try that if it doesn't start working on its own after a few more days or if Apple Support wants to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it ($200+).

I'll let you know if I crack it open. I can document the process and maybe it will help someone else and some good will come of the accident!

And yeah, I was so bummed when Venture Bros Season 3 got delayed until at least June. Funniest show currently on the air (at least, since Futurama and Arrested Development got canned).