PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 12" G3 into 14" G3 iBook

wullieb1
Dec 30, 2007, 11:35 PM
Does anyone know if i'm able to do this??

I've been watching a logicboard on eBay that is selling for peanuts with a warranty on it but i need to know if i can install it in a 14" chassis.

So are the logicboards interchangable between models??

Apologies if this has been said before. I did search but cam up with nothing (either that or i'm just dense)

Eidorian
Dec 30, 2007, 11:37 PM
Your money would be much better spent on a new computer.

wullieb1
Dec 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
Your money would be much better spent on a new computer.

Yep that i do know but i can get it cheap enough, less that $100.

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2007, 11:40 PM
Yep that i do know but i can get it cheap enough, less that $100.

Well if it doesn't fit, you could probably build a custom mount for it.

Eidorian
Dec 30, 2007, 11:42 PM
http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-ibook-g3-prices.html

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-ibook-g4-prices.html

Just a thought...

Surprisingly it will fit in at 14" one.

aquajet
Dec 30, 2007, 11:47 PM
They are not interchangeable.

Eidorian
Dec 30, 2007, 11:50 PM
They are not interchangeable.

14" iBook (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/51/images_large/64.jpg)

12" iBook (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/50/images_large/73.jpg)

I lack shop skills to overlay. *sobs*

wullieb1
Dec 30, 2007, 11:57 PM
14" iBook (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/51/images_large/64.jpg)

12" iBook (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/50/images_large/73.jpg)

I lack shop skills to overlay. *sobs*

They look identical.

I'm still confused.

I'm just using this iBook to start with and if i like it then i'll move onto something a little better.

I am handy at fixing PC's and know my way around a screwdriver.

Eidorian
Dec 30, 2007, 11:58 PM
They look identical.

I'm still confused.

I'm just using this iBook to start with and if i like it then i'll move onto something a little better.

I am handy at fixing PC's and know my way around a screwdriver.I've repaired PowerBooks and Mac minis.

There's no way I'm going to touch an iBook.

An iBook G3 is not a good place to start your OS X experience in this age.

aquajet
Dec 31, 2007, 12:01 AM
They are not interchangable due to differences in the battery connector. If you are good with micro soldering, maybe you could get it to work...

Eidorian
Dec 31, 2007, 12:04 AM
They are not interchangable due to differences in the battery connector. If you are good with micro soldering, maybe you could get it to work...I was hoping that the extension on the 14" model would be simple...

SkyBell
Dec 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
iBook G3's aren't bad for OS X, mine runs 10.4.10 really well on 256 Mb of RAM (3 apps at a time only, though)

aquajet
Dec 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
I was hoping that the extension on the 14" model would be simple...

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Remember, these are iBooks we're talking about. Nothing is particularly easy working inside one, as you know I'm sure. :)

Eidorian
Dec 31, 2007, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Remember, these are iBooks we're talking about. Nothing is particularly easy working inside one, as you know I'm sure. :)I opened an iBook up with a dead logicboard to salvage the hard drive.

I'm not sure what the owner did with the remains after I placed the hard drive in an enclosure. :D

iBook G3's aren't bad for OS X, mine runs 10.4.10 really well on 256 Mb of RAM (3 apps at a time only, though)Got Quartz Extreme?

wullieb1
Dec 31, 2007, 12:20 AM
They are not interchangable due to differences in the battery connector. If you are good with micro soldering, maybe you could get it to work...

I am quite handy with a soldering iron but to be honest if it going to be that much hassle i won't bother. I'll get one eventually i suppose.

I might just go and buy a 2nd hand G4 Powerbook. Are these any better?? Is there anything i need to look out for??

Eidorian
Dec 31, 2007, 12:20 AM
Is there any specific reason to get a laptop?

ktbubster
Dec 31, 2007, 12:47 AM
you know, i've gotten about 3 functioning ibook g3s on here for 95-150 shipped. You can find them fairly easily for a decent amount.

Also, what about a g4 ibook? (g4 powerbooks you mentioned, but you skipped the g4 powerbook?)

If you don't need a laptop, i'd start with a g4 mini. you can find those fairly cheap... heck.. a g4 tower can be had for 150. That's not a horrible place to start.

wullieb1
Dec 31, 2007, 09:38 PM
you know, i've gotten about 3 functioning ibook g3s on here for 95-150 shipped. You can find them fairly easily for a decent amount.

Also, what about a g4 ibook? (g4 powerbooks you mentioned, but you skipped the g4 powerbook?)

If you don't need a laptop, i'd start with a g4 mini. you can find those fairly cheap... heck.. a g4 tower can be had for 150. That's not a horrible place to start.

Space constraints herald the need for a notebook unfortunately.

I'll keep a look on the forums and see if any come up.

Eidorian
Jan 1, 2008, 12:55 AM
Space constraints herald the need for a notebook unfortunately.

I'll keep a look on the forums and see if any come up.A Mac mini might be a good option then.

wullieb1
Jan 1, 2008, 02:48 AM
A Mac mini might be a good option then.

I ain't got the space for a desk and monitor thats why i need a laptop.

I already have my main PC locked in a cupboard until such time as i get a bigger house where i can fit a desk in.

iMpathetic
Jan 1, 2008, 08:34 AM
I think that snagging an 800MHz iBook G4 might be your best bet. With a RAM upgrade, they are plenty fast, and you can find them for around $275 on eBay.

Eidorian
Jan 1, 2008, 10:12 AM
I think that snagging an 800MHz iBook G4 might be your best bet. With a RAM upgrade, they are plenty fast, and you can find them for around $275 on eBay.This would be a much better option. It'd be great with Tiger and more RAM.

Surely
Jan 1, 2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Cassie
iBook G3's aren't bad for OS X, mine runs 10.4.10 really well on 256 Mb of RAM (3 apps at a time only, though)

Got Quartz Extreme?

What does Quartz Extreme do? Would it improve the iBook's performance?
I would let my sister know if that's the case, who I gave my iBook G3 to.

Eidorian
Jan 1, 2008, 10:47 AM
What does Quartz Extreme do? Would it improve the iBook's performance?
I would let my sister know if that's the case, who I gave my iBook G3 to.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Compositor

Mac OS X v10.2 introduced Quartz Extreme: graphics processor (GPU) acceleration for the Quartz Compositor. With Quartz Extreme, no central processor (CPU) cycles are utilized for scene composition. Quartz Compositor runs using the graphics processor (GPU) by encapsulating each rendered backing store in an OpenGL texture map or surface. The GPU then composes the surfaces and maps to provide the final image, which is delivered to its frame buffer.

Surely
Jan 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Compositor

Yeah, I'm lazy... so what of it??? :D

Thanks Eidorian.

Is it something that is just downloaded, installed, and then just runs in the background? My sister is a very basic user: email, iTunes, iPhoto, Safari
If there is complicated stuff to do, she won't be able to do it.

Eidorian
Jan 1, 2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'm lazy... so what of it??? :D

Thanks Eidorian.

Is it something that is just downloaded, installed, and then just runs in the background? My sister is a very basic user: email, iTunes, iPhoto, Safari
If there is complicated stuff to do, she won't be able to do it.Either the hardware supports it or it doesn't.

What did you have to read? I did all the work for you. :confused:

Surely
Jan 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
Either the hardware supports it or it doesn't.

What did you have to read? I did all the work for you. :confused:

I know you did. That's what the 'Thanks' was for. Thanks again.

Eidorian
Jan 1, 2008, 11:07 AM
I know you did. That's what the 'Thanks' was for. Thanks again.Oh sorry about that.

Quartz Extreme makes a world of a difference in OS X.

Surely
Jan 1, 2008, 11:27 AM
Oh sorry about that.

Quartz Extreme makes a world of a difference in OS X.

I was previously unaware of what it is. Thanks for the edumication. ;)

I'm curious to find out if my sister's iBook G3 supports it.

aquajet
Jan 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm curious to find out if my sister's iBook G3 supports it.

All iBooks with a 700 mhz or faster processor (and some 600 mhz models) include the necessary graphics chip for QE.

Surely
Jan 1, 2008, 07:05 PM
All iBooks with a 700 mhz or faster processor (and some 600 mhz models) include the necessary graphics chip for QE.

Thanks, aquajet. :cool:

wullieb1
Jan 2, 2008, 04:05 AM
Well i picked up the iBook today and decided to strip out the logic board for potential replacment in the future.

I had an idea where i would test the iBook at certain stages to see if the system would boot normally.

Stripped it all the way back to removing both the inside metal covers and it miraculously started working again. Don't know why but it did.

Built it back up again and it is working for the moment, lets hope it stays that way till i can get a new board for it.

I've managed to get the OS installed and updated today so i'm running OSX on a tiddly 6gb drive, don't worry i have a 160GB drive at work that i'm possibly going to use.

I'm now using the iBook to hopefully learn a little about macs so be prepared for some questions lol.