PDA

View Full Version : Apple’s hits and misses for 2007

MacBytes
Dec 31, 2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple’s hits and misses for 2007 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071231094425)
Description:: Overall, 2007 was a great year for Apple, especially money-wise. But let’s not talk about the finances. Let’s look at the hits and misses among its product introductions.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

liberty4all
Dec 31, 2007, 10:41 AM
For me the biggest miss is the iPhone not being able to fully do video out, i.e. I cannot display Safari and other apps over the video out cable -- anyone find a hack to output ALL video out via the cable to TV?

TIA

Mykbibby
Dec 31, 2007, 11:49 AM
For me the biggest miss is the iPhone not being able to fully do video out, i.e. I cannot display Safari and other apps over the video out cable -- anyone find a hack to output ALL video out via the cable to TV?

TIA

Wow, so because the iPhone doesn't do ALL video out, it was the biggest miss of 2007? Forget the revolutionary UI, forget the unprecedented Mobile Internet, forget having all your music in your pocket, that's useless, but ALL video out? How did they miss that?

mainstreetmark
Dec 31, 2007, 12:27 PM
Wow, so because the iPhone doesn't do ALL video out, it was the biggest miss of 2007? Forget the revolutionary UI, forget the unprecedented Mobile Internet, forget having all your music in your pocket, that's useless, but ALL video out? How did they miss that?

It's his opinion, but yeah, it seems like a strange request. Most people crap about the lack of Flash support, which would make application development go a long way. Many others seem to complain about not being able to send pictures to people. I just wish there was a "mark all [email] read" button.

But, of course, I can't even figure out what the AppleTV is even for, so I'm all on board with that being a "Miss". You can't use it as a media server- it's just a client, so you have to have some other location with a fixed large harddrive. It doesn't even do Airtunes, which is astounding.

Now, if I might postulate on some future features of that little turd, it'd be:
- Take on the role of being the interface to all your devices, rather than just another device. Why can't we use the AppleTV as the channel selector, rather than the clunky default one from the cable company? Surely if you plugged the cable signal in, a smart, internet-savvy device could introduce a much better way to find shows, especially with future BT keyboard integration. Then, of course, since it knows the channels, and has a harddrive, it's Tivo time, and whether it becomes a DVR, or simply "drives" Tivo silently in the background is up to the engineers over there.

But, so far, I just don't get the purpose of the AppleTV.

Cloudane
Dec 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hit: Everything :D Except their screens

Miss: Their screens (negative blacks, gradients, lack of non-glossy options, lack of new ACDs etc)

Leopard deserves it own:

Hit: Time Machine, performance increase on equal hardware (never happened with Windows ever BTW), much better Finder, much more reliable networking with Windows, Screen Sharing, Stacks concept in general, and their cheeky little dig at Windows (see shared PC icons)

Miss: Gratuitous and controversial UI changes contrary to their usual standard of usability / following HCI guidelines. Compatibility problems to almost rival Vista, including "blue screen" syndrome. Issues such as Spotlight re-indexing every time you reboot. System Preferences panel is getting cramped.

Overall - HIT :D

MacsRgr8
Dec 31, 2007, 02:00 PM
Biggest *miss* seems to be obvious:

No new Mac Pro.

noriyori
Dec 31, 2007, 03:31 PM

TIA

That's a great option I never thought of... but now that I think of it, if they were to do a tablet ALL video out from iPhone would probably hurt sales. Especially with the iPhone SDK coming out soon. For them to sell a tablet connectivity to a cinema display/HDTV would be a huge seller for mobile workers.

I'm still not too sure of what features they intend(ed) for the phone. It seems they had to rush to get the thing out there and couldn't nail down all the things they wanted to include... Flash, full document editing, connection of apple Bluetooth keyboard, etc.

As far as the whole MMS messaging, I think they realize that MMS will soon be obsolete as more mobile devices have full email capabilities.

BlakTornado
Dec 31, 2007, 07:08 PM
Final Cut Express could be a miss due to the way Sound Track was dropped...

BUT they did have a £70 price drop and increased other areas.

Mustafa
Jan 2, 2008, 05:31 AM
As far as the whole MMS messaging, I think they realize that MMS will soon be obsolete as more mobile devices have full email capabilities.

Who's going to tell 8m British schoolkids that they can't use MMS anymore?

pamon
Jan 2, 2008, 08:14 PM
the iphone was a hit, the apple tv had its pluses and minuses, but i'm in the opinion that leopard was the biggest hit. It was a huge plus to my systems, albeit the 99 updates since the release