Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
I got an order in for a 1.25GHz 15" PB today, and was told that it would ship 7-10 days (Oct. 21 was the date). Any idea if that's actually going to be that late, or if they're just being conservative in their estimates? I'm replacing my TiBook with this (the TiBook has a housing issue and the white spots on the screen), and it's going to be awfully tough being without a computer at college for 2 weeks. Any thoughts on lead times? I know it was same-day when they came out, so... Just looking for a little hopeful reassurance I guess.

Thoughts?

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Er, I guess I should have specified that Apple was replacing it for me. It's all boxed up and ready to go back tomorrow.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
I placed my order for a 15" PB on the 26th September. The online store said it would be 10-15 days. I have been checking the status online and it has just sat at being assembled since.

I called apple today to see if they had any idea when I would get it. I was told it should ship on the 17th from the Far East, and would be 7-10 working days to deliver, meaning month end if I'm lucky.

Very excited, and frustrated.

foolsday

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
Eugene, Oregon
I purchased a 15" PB on 27 Sept and it 'shipped' on 4 Oct (the day after Apple notified me that it was extending the lead time by two weeks). Unfortunately, Airborn Express is showing itself to be quite incompetent and can not confirm even the most basic details about my order. They seem content to simply blame their inability on Apple by saying "with Apple...." [it's hard to say when you'll get it], [it's difficult to tell where it shipped from], [it's difficult to say where it is], etc.
A friend of mine ordered the 15" a few days before I ordered mine and we were given remarkably different lead times (hers was shorter) but they ended up shipping on the same day (a saturday, oddly enough).

Don't hold your breath.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by DaUlf
Er, I guess I should have specified that Apple was replacing it for me. It's all boxed up and ready to go back tomorrow.

Not to be rude but I have to ask.. Apple is replacing your Ti with an Alumibook do to housing issues and some speckles on your screen? That's a goldmine right there... I'm hoping my Alumibook develops housing problems so I can get a silicon carbide g5 powerbook next fall for free. :D

How much trouble did you have getting apple to do this for you?

hamfist

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2003
SE Michigan
ordered mine on oct 3 and picked it up from airborn this morning. they actually attempted a delivery yesterday. i ordered a 15" with backlit board. that's only a week. when i ordered it, the lead time was 5-7 days by the online apple store; i got a shipment notification 2 days later. i had it shipped 2 day. its in my trunk now, can't wait to get home.

hamfist

Panopticon

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Toronto, ON, Canada
I just ordered mine (again - cancelled order on me... dang!) on Monday. The Order status page says it's going to come on or before Oct. 21st.

Hopefully, they'll deliver the AiBook as fast as they delivered my APP and the extra iPod cable - Ordered on Monday, shipped Tuesday from Sacramento, and arrived Wednesday (north of Toronto, Canada) shortly after lunch... all for an extra $22 CDN (for whole order, including Powerbook).

The original order was last week — lead time then was 5 or so days (I believe) for standard jobs. Mine is a custom order 'cause I can't afford that fancy Super Drive. ;-) Instead, its coming with the Combo Drive, but with the 5400RPM HDD @ 80GB. Supposedly, its access time is 15% more with larger files (?). Either way, I'm freakin' out for the day I get that apple email! Right now, the order queue is 7-10 days for both standard and custom orders.

15" Powerbook, Combo Drive, 80GB 5400 HDD, blah blah blah...

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by cr2sh
Not to be rude but I have to ask.. Apple is replacing your Ti with an Alumibook do to housing issues and some speckles on your screen? That's a goldmine right there... I'm hoping my Alumibook develops housing problems so I can get a silicon carbide g5 powerbook next fall for free. :D

How much trouble did you have getting apple to do this for you?

I was mildly shocked, to tell you the truth. I called once and they told me to take it to my nearest friendly apple dealer and have them look at it. When I realized that walking 2 hours with the laptop on my back wasn't my idea of a fun saturday afternoon and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get a ride, I called again and explained the problem again. Silence for a bit and then... he.. uh.. asked me if I'd like to have it repaired or replaced.

I asked for a replacement, and I called back as instructed Monday morning to set it up. I asked the (very friendly) guy what I would be getting, as the TiBooks had been discontinued. "Oh, you'll be getting a brand new one.... 1.25GHz processor, totally updated housing..."

Me: "Oooh! Okay, that sounds cool."

*tappity tappity*

Him: "This also comes with a backlit keyboard. Should be a lot of fun."

Me: "Cool!"

Basically I'm getting the stock 1.25GHz SD AlBook with a 60GB HD instead of the stock 80. It was very cool and suprising to get this, I was just expecting a TiBook from some warehouse. The not cool thing was the fact that I'm going to be without a computer at college for a couple weeks (I'm just kind of mooching friends' computer time). But yeah, that's how it happened.

Still on or before Oct. 21.

The real question is... will I be able to pull off the Panther Up-to-Date with the replacement order? ;-)

foolsday

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
Eugene, Oregon
My 15" took 6 days to ship and 5 working days to get to my house on the west coast. It's perfect, the latch is one of my favorite parts about it.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
When I realized that walking 2 hours with the laptop on my back wasn't my idea of a fun saturday afternoon and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get a ride, I called again and explained the problem again. Silence for a bit and then... he.. uh.. asked me if I'd like to have it repaired or replaced.

Wow.. this is like the holy grail to Apple. I'm amazed as well.. can you describe further the problems you were having? And this was replaced under apple care?

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by cr2sh
Wow.. this is like the holy grail to Apple. I'm amazed as well.. can you describe further the problems you were having? And this was replaced under apple care?

I think it qualified as a DOA (?), just judging from their policies on returns that they post on their page. It was under the 30 day deadline for DOAs, and it seems like they only do repairs past that deadline. I'm not quite sure. I don't have AppleCare, this was just standard "I need tech support" call.

The problem(s):

I had two bright spots, similar in description to some of the AlBook issues people have been having. They weren't bad at all on a dark/varied background, but on anything with a light background they were totally annoying- webpages and iChat convos, for example. One of them was a little to the upper left of center, and the larger up and to the left of the left end of the dock. I ignored them for a while, but they were just driving me nuts, so I called.

The other issue was the light colored housing with the CD slot in it on that corner wasn't fully attached to the bottom, and there was some play/flexure whenever you put your hand on the right handrest. Not at all worth sending back for on its own, but I mentioned it when I called about the spots.

I'm still amazed they offered to replace it, and very much looking forward to the AlBook (although it darn well better not have white spots!). And hopefully it'll ship earlier than Oct. 21...

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Just get it from the Apple stores or Compusa

I had an order with the lieing bastards at CDW who claimed 1-2 business days on an item that they didn't have nor know when they would have them in stock.

MacMall was at least honest enough to say 1.5 to 2 weeks.

I called down to the AppleStore in Lennox in Georgia and the Compusa at Lennox in GA and both had them in stock and in quantity so I just went to the store and picked them up and cancelled my MacMall order.

MacMall was somewhat distressed about people cancelling their orders though. Maybe next time they'll actually know where their units are instead of saying 'we don't know when the units are coming in nor where they are'. They also wouldn't change the order I placed on 10-4 to a purchase date after 10-8 even though they didn't have the units in stock... oops :)

But to sum it up, call around locally... you may be able to drive to a Compusa or Apple store and just pick it up instead of waiting.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
A week ago (3 Oct), I walked into an Apple Store and asked for a 15" superDrive alumaBook. "Don't have it in stock," came the answer, with a hold order put in for me. "Might be a week," the salesguy said.

I went in the back to stare at software when someone I was with suggested, "The 17" is only $400 more -- get this?"

So... I did.

"Cancel the hold," I said, and they did.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Ordered my 15"PB on 29th, told 10-15 days. Called earlier this week as online order staus still said 'being assembled' and the very nice Apple guy said it was due to ship on or after the 17th, and would take 5-7 working days to get to me. Disappointed but ok with that.

Checked online order status again last night only to see it was picked up from Taiwan on the 10th! Not long now!

Just ordered myself a Palm T3 to 'look nice' along side the PB, and my new Sony Ericsson T610 was delivered this morning. I am ready to Bluetooth them all together - just call me gadget man!

Now all I need is the cheap upgrade to Panther, and I will be a very very happy man.

Blackstealth

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Bradford, UK
Originally posted by Blackstealth
Ordered on the 17th, still waiting for it to ship - supposedly they're gonna ship it by the end of this week - i.e. on or before 2moro...

Update: got the shipping confirmation today. Should arrive by the end of next week with any luck

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Update

I called Apple and just asked them if they could provide any more concrete info. All he could tell me that it was still on or before Oct. 21, but that as a replacement order, I was first in the queue ahead of regular orders. Anyone know if that's accurate? I find it kind of hard to believe that they've got a 2 week backlog on replacement orders alone.

Still waiting... less patiently than before...

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore

The problem(s):

The other issue was the light colored housing with the CD slot in it on that corner wasn't fully attached to the bottom, and there was some play/flexure whenever you put your hand on the right handrest. Not at all worth sending back for on its own, but I mentioned it when I called about the spots.

I'm still amazed they offered to replace it, and very much looking forward to the AlBook (although it darn well better not have white spots!). And hopefully it'll ship earlier than Oct. 21...

My TiBook has similar housing issuese, though the flew is only a millimeter and I didn't notice it until I read your post, so I doubt Apple will have much sympathy for me. Maybe if I just accidentally slip a screwdriver under the cd drive....

DaUlf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by beefcake
My TiBook has similar housing issuese, though the flew is only a millimeter and I didn't notice it until I read your post, so I doubt Apple will have much sympathy for me. Maybe if I just accidentally slip a screwdriver under the cd drive....

Heh. I think it was the screen issue that made them take it back- that's the reason I called for it, too.

peterL

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
Ohio
I don't know if the 12 and 15 are at all the same, but I ordered a 12" with a superdrive on the 8th, and it shipped yesterday :) Should be here Friday.

Manimac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2003
Houston, TX
DaUlf - I think that ship time is very optimistic. Based on my experience and a few posts I have seen the lead time is weeks not days. These could be the exception, but I keep waiting for mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.