Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saranac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Hello,
I have a mirror-drive G4, with a Radeon 8500 graphics card.
At some point last year, the fan noise got beyond unbearably loud.
In a strange way. So i oppened up my machine, and noticed the Radeon's fan wasn't spinning properly.
Because i use my computer for music production exclusively, i reckoned i cold probably do without a fan on my graphics card, and reduce the noise level by unscrewing it.
I did that, and my computer carried on fine.
Then i got myself an iBook for travel, and my MDD stayed unused for several months.
A few days ago, i decided to get back to using it (as it is that little bit more powerful than my Ibook, in theory anyway) but after the startup tone, nothing came up onscreen.
I figure my Radeon has died.
But i'd like to check things out.
But it's not easy without a screen.

My questions :
-did i really need the fan (i play no games) ?
-could my card have "suddenly" died like that ? (surely there'd be some sort of warning signal ?)
-can i fix my Radeon ? (i took it out, it doesn't show any outside traces of overheating or anything)
-how could i investigate into my MDD's health-state ? (using it in FW target mode with my iBook ?)
-is there a cheapo card i can purchase that'll function instead ? (i'd rather not invest in this G4)
-could it be something else causing loss of display ?

I'm not very competent with computers, hence the silly questions. Thanks ahead for your help.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The fan was there to cool the card. You can pick up basic replacement Mac PCI video cards on eBay for $20-30, and they won't have any fans. :)

If you're running Leopard on your iBook, you can network straight to your machine by ethernet cable and when the G4 turns up on the network, can use screen-sharing to view what the Mac is doing, like having its desktop within a window.

Saranac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Thanks (And a pleasant new year to everyone)
So you reckon my card is busted ?
I'm using Tiger for now, as i can't really afford the upgrade to Leopard.
Will any PCI graphics card do the job ?
Or are there compatibility issues i should be aware of ?
Because i might have an old something from my 1997 peecee.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
i'd actually sell you the one that i bought off blue velvet but there's already others waiting in line. but yeah you can find a cheap agp card on ebay for 15-25 shipped for a decent one.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Video cards for PCs will not work with your Mac. On ebay you can just look under the Apple section for video cards. For the most part they should let you if they will work in a MDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.