Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Per a MacMinute blurb... This Austin American-Statesman article reports that students entering the University of Texas teacher preparation programs are required to purchase an Apple laptop (iBook or PowerBook) running Mac OS X.

Of course, there's some criticism from some of the students, but Apple is apparently providing steep discounts for this program... specifics aren't clear as to which laptop is to be provided, but according to the guide at the bottom of the article, a laptop would be $2,500 retail and $1,000 for qualifying students.

This sort of aggressive push back into education is very welcome.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
I wish my high school had something like that. They make us carry around cheap compaq laptops :( Our teachers ask for Apples but the school gets their computers from stores that have point and junk. Ex. Safeway untill the consumer knows nothing will change :( I want to see what happens when all the teenages my age go out into the working world. An Apple is like shoes now a days :D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Hook 'em Horns!

My brother goes to The Univeristy of Texas at Austin, but he's not involved in teaching schools. He is in the Red McCombs School of Business, where they force everyone to use dells. Did you know that michael the poopoo head dell built his first computer in a closet in his dorm at UT? (at least from what i've heard...)

UT is a very Mac dominant campus, although dell's have quite a stronghold. Their campus computer stores have tons of productivity stuff for Mac, and feature Macs more than pee-cees.

Here are some clips from the UT site...

"The faculty and administration of the teacher preparation program have decided that the only feasible way to implement this requirement is to start with a single platform. This will greatly facilitate the faculty development and curriculum modification required (which must happen efficiently and rapidly to make this exciting new development successful). This decision will also facilitate technical support for students and faculty. This decision is similar to that of instructors who specify a single textbook, a certain calculator, or a specific set of drafting tools for a class. Teaching and learning is more successful if all students have comparable resources."

"...The Austin Independent School District, with which our teacher preparation program partners to provide field experiences, has a significant number of Apple computers and is planning to purchase thousands more next year."

I won't say more, because I'll get into a big rant, and then contradict myself, but I will say this: dell sucks!

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
my school has a bunch of gateways with 400mhz celerons
its sucks so much and they expect my woodwork class to do CAD on em
I don't think so

Phaedrus

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Ohio
Hook 'em Horns!

I did my graduate work at UT; bought my second Apple portable through the campus computer store--a Lombard. I have good friends that work for Apple in Austin. I'm in the midwest now--boy do I miss Tejas.

Oh yeah, with all of the debates about Motorolla lagging behind, here's an inventory of the human costs of Intel's way of doing business:

http://www.faceintel.com/

It's not all about chip and bus speeds, compadres.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I just realized something...

This is a huge blow to dell. According to their FAQ, the Austin Independent School District plans to buy thousands of Macs, in dell's home town! I wonder what poor old dell is going to say about this.

Imagine this... A school district buys computers based on features, and plans ahead for the future of their students...

just remember, 1 down, 49 to go...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by G4scott
According to their FAQ, the Austin Independent School District plans to buy thousands of Macs, in dell's home town!

Apple's push to get users while they're young hopefully will pay off. Don't forget the State Maine got all those iBooks recently aswell. I see a trend here.

Go Apple!

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
I just realized something...

This is a huge blow to dell. According to their FAQ, the Austin Independent School District plans to buy thousands of Macs, in dell's home town! I wonder what poor old dell is going to say about this.

Imagine this... A school district buys computers based on features, and plans ahead for the future of their students...

just remember, 1 down, 49 to go...

This isn't over yet. Not until the Mac's are actually bought and on-hand.

Dell/Microsoft has a funny way of sneaking in the back door, offering some sort of deal "You can't refuse", and stealing the carpet out from underneath competitors.

TL

rensak

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2002
I am currently a student at the University of Texas and my girlfriend is in the Education program. She recieved notice last week that this would be a requirement starting in fall '02. We were both happy (being mac faithful ourselves) to see a large number of people being required to switch to mac. Hopefully the University will extend this to all undergraduates (approx 38,000) and those who are whining will realize how much better a mac is. FYI: the computer they are offering is an ibook. Here are the specs 600Mhz G3, 128 Ram, 15GB hardrive, combo-drive, airport card, apple care protection, 12.1" screen.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: States

Originally posted by Macmaniac
2 down 48 to go!
Good to see this agressiveniss from Apple!

It won't be like that until my school gets Macs, and I doubt it will anytime soon. Our superintendant has been endited (is that how you spell it?), or whatever. he's in trouble with his last job in San Angelo. That, and out school never plans ahead for anything. Oh Apple, please help...

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
If apple would not have done it M$ would certainly have.
Better apple than M$.:D

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Apple's Move into Education...

Originally posted by arn
Apple is apparently providing steep discounts for this program... specifics aren't clear as to which laptop is to be provided, but according to the guide at the bottom of the article, a laptop would be $2,500 retail and $1,000 for qualifying students.

So, to the students out there who already have a mac, who's going into business selling off their friends deeply discounted new macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.