Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To round-out the 2007 year of rumoring, here is a wrap up of some of the biggest leaks from 2007.

iPod "Fat" Nano Images

9to5Mac first posted a mockup of the shorter/wider iPod nano on July 17th which was met with skepticism:
There's not even a tiny chance that Apple would release something that daft. - emotion
Later, 9to5mac released actual "spy photos" (mirror) of the new iPods in a number of different colors. Apple responded with Cease and Desist letters and the images were pulled from various websites.

This "fat" 3rd Generation iPod Nano was indeed released on September 5th, 2007 at Apple's 'Beat Goes On' media event.
The Nano seemed squat in the photos I had seen, In person it was much more attractive and pretty cool. Apple will sell a boat load of these this holiday season! - Sandfleaz

6th Generation iPod Interface Video

Videos of the 6th Generation iPod Classic and 3rd Generation iPod Nano videos were briefly posted on MacRumors.com on July 21st, well before they were finally released on September 5th. Within 5 hours of their posting, Apple Legal requested that the videos were removed. A mirror remains available on YouTube. Many also believed that these interface videos were Fake.

Slim iMac Keyboard Images

The iMac slim keyboard images that were leaked on July 27th were notable for a number of reasons. The original leak came from a mac.hk forum thread in which the seller was trying to sell the unreleased Apple keyboard. Full resolution images were also posted to the seller's Flickr account but subsequently removed. The images were reposted by Engadget.

Unlike practically every other legitimate Apple leak, Apple Legal did not try to have these images removed, causing many to doubt their authenticity. The images were accurate, however, and Steve Jobs even acknowledged the leak when the keyboard was introduced.

iPhone Waiter and Sightings

In June, a reader submitted information about hands-on use with the then-unreleased iPhone. The submitter was a Wine Director at a prominent restaurant, and was able to use the iPhone of (presumably) an Apple employee. The description revealed a few unknown features of the iPhone at the time which were later confirmed to be true.

A few other iPhone sightings that were widely reported: Airport and Train, were also later confirmed to be real by MacRumors.com.

iPod Touch, Steve Jobs Email

In October, MacRumors Forum user, DavidJearly emailed Steve Jobs about various issues, including iPod game incompatibilities and why the iPod Touch didn't include Calendar functionality. Jobs responded:
David,

Nothing can be done about the games. The new iPod touch is a completely different animal inside than the old iPods and the games just don't translate. The inability to edit and add calendar events is a bug that will be fixed in a future software update.

Best,
Steve

A subsequent iPod Touch update confirmed the authenticity of David's email from Jobs.

Note: the iPhone 1.1.3 video/images might have made the list, but has not yet been officially confirmed.

Article Link

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I will admit, I was totally fooled with the iPod interface videos... Although they must have been done in flash or something as a "mockup" because they are clearly not the final release.

The biggest piece that I felt gave it away was the sweeping second hand (not the ticking one that Apple uses) in the world clocks section, and the fact that two clocks were not synchronized to the second.

I see arn even used one of my comments in his blog "Fake or Real?"

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
I remember when the fatboy nano was leaked, I did not believe those could be real...it looked so ugly in pictures, and the colors in that photo are not flattering....but then when they were released I loved them and got one 2 days later!

I love my fat nano! :)

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
I was kinda disappointed at how accurate these rumors were. It took the surprise out of the product introduction. As long as I know approximately when their computers will be updated, I'm happy.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I was kinda disappointed at how accurate these rumors were. It took the surprise out of the product introduction. As long as I know approximately when their computers will be updated, I'm happy.

True, but didnt it excite you when you saw them, and when you found out they were real?!?!

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
An Amazing Year!!! Looking forward to 2008!!!

Wow!

What a great year for rumors and new products. I can't think of any other company on the planet that had a product line that evolved and sold as well as Apple's Macs, iPods and iPhones.

Can't wait to find out how many iPhones they sold in 2007. I'm seeing them everywhere. It was nice being the only guy around who had one. Now everyone around seems to have taken to the iPhone.

Could that be why Research in Motion stock has been headed lower from it's recent top, while Apple stock is right at it's all-time high? Ummm Could be...

Happy New Year everyone... Let's hope 2:):)8 is even better!!!

Al

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The nano reaction was my favorite: the SHAPE of the RECTANGLE was somehow so obviously "wrong" that people were SURE Apple could never design a rectangle of those dimensions :p It was "different = bad" gone wild. And of course people love them once the initial "shock" of a different rectangle was absorbed, with the help of crisis counselors :)

I should admit that I did think the nano "flower" image was fake: the shallow bevel on the front looked very Photoshopped to me, plus the old iMac-style flower arrangement seemed like something a faker would do. But those were real!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Part of the negative reaction to the fatty was because some people thought it was going to be the next full sized iPod, and were hoping for something that would include a larger wider screen for videos, which of course eventually did appear in the iPod touch.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So most of the leaked info was about iPods or iPhones. Hmm.

Here's hoping 2008 is a year full of shiny new Mac products :)

(Although, I really am enjoying my 20" aluminum iMac)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Nice summary.

Another way of doing this that would work well for me would be a 20/20 hindsight on every Apple release for the year and what rumours foreshadowed them.

Like the Alu iMac, iPod touch etc, so we could get an idea of everyone that was accurate, lead up times, and how much was missed.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
The leaking of the 3G nano was by far the biggest rumor of the year, I think, and one of the few rumors that turned out to be true. The recent leaking of 1.1.3 is quite big, too.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
nahh

i'd frame it too.... then one day meet him and have him sign in... then get my restraining order signed by his attorney. i kid... ha

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Although I don't remember any leaked pictures, there were rumors of aluminum iMacs months before they were released. There was some skepticism as Apple associated metal casings with professional products.

I am waiting for rumors of non-glossy screen option. :)

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
I must agree with the previous poster who mentioned the Nanos and the keyboard.

I was sure both were fakes! Not just fakes but bad designs.

I have both now and only like the Nano, the old candybar Nano feels clunky to me now.

The keyboard on the other hand... are they prepping us for multi-touch keyboards or something? Something with no kinetic feedback? I hate the feel of it under my fingers, but I'm hoping it's training me for a completely flat multi-touch-user-programmable interface pad.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Nice summary.

Another way of doing this that would work well for me would be a 20/20 hindsight on every Apple release for the year and what rumours foreshadowed them.

Like the Alu iMac, iPod touch etc, so we could get an idea of everyone that was accurate, lead up times, and how much was missed.

We do that individually after major events

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/rumor-wrapup-imac-keyboard-iwork-ilife-ipod-details/
https://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/07/the-beat-goes-on-rumor-wrapup-winners/
https://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/16/macworld-san-francisco-2007-rumor-wrapup-winners-and-losers/

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My own rumor radar wasn't very accurate this year. I tend not to believe photos taken in elevators, tips from wine directors, and reported email exchanges with Steve Jobs. Sometimes that's wise, but I'm often proven wrong. Either way, taking our best guesses, without knowing for sure, is what makes it fun to predict where Apple is going, and fun to discuss rumors in the forums.

Apple may have ignored the iMac keyboard leak because it was "only a keyboard."

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Although I don't remember any leaked pictures, there were rumors of aluminum iMacs months before they were released. There was some skepticism as Apple associated metal casings with professional products.

I am waiting for rumors of non-glossy screen option. :)

You will be waiting awhile... You realize it isn't a "glossy screen" but it is glass on the front of the screen, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.