PDA

View Full Version : A Year Later: iPhone Loves and Wants

MacRumors
Dec 31, 2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

It has been nearly a year since Apple CEO Steve Jobs took to the stage at Macworld San Francisco (http://guides.macrumors.com/Macworld_San_Francisco#Macworld_SF_2007) and devoted nearly his entire speech to the introduction of the iPhone. Since then, it has become a favorite addition to our MacRumors Editors', as well as 5 million other users' pockets. Looking back, what are some of our favorite things about the iPhone? What are some things that we still hope are coming?

iPhone Loves
One of the things that sets the iPhone apart from every other phone is its multi-touch interface, which makes using the iPhone so intuitive. I still impress friends with the ability to pinch photos, and still think its fun to to do myself. Of course, getting those photos, movies, and music onto the phone is a snap... All you have to do is plug it into its dock and it syncs. The ease of which this happens really can't be understated.

Bringing a full-featured web browser onto a mobile device was a smart move by Apple. Safari is by far the best mobile internet experience I've had. Mind you, it has its limitations, but it's the best out there.

Of course, what Apple hasn't done, the development community has done in the way of hacking the iPhone into allowing native 3rd party development. I now can't live without my "jailbroken" iPhone and its assortment of games and utilities.

iPhone Wants: Software
What the development community has done through hacks, Apple has promised to provide via an SDK this coming year. However, I officially make my plea to Apple to make this SDK free to developers so that we can continue to see the kind of viral development that the iPhone has seen.

While I love the iPhone's OS, Apple does have some refining to do. For one, the lack of copy and paste ability continues to be a very real hindrance towards the productivity of the device. Also, voice dialing remains absent, a feature which is key to using the iPhone safely while driving.

iPhone Wants: Hardware
Any hardware upgrades would require replacing the current iPhone or perhaps the development of a 3rd party dongle, but some of the more sought-after hardware revisions include the inclusion of GPS (3rd party dongle in development? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/15/real-iphone-gps-module-in-development/)), 3G, and the elimination of the recessed headphone jack.

Of course, any (partial) list like this is completely subjective. What do you want to see out of the iPhone in this next year? The forums await...

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/29/a-year-later-iphone-loves-and-wants/)

graymccarty
Dec 31, 2007, 03:42 PM
What do I want most from the iPhone this year? FOR IT TO COME TO CANADA

bmarker
Dec 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
I know it's a little item but the lack of album shuffle on an unhacked iPhone bugs me. Sure, there are bigger issues. Apparently the option exists in the configuration file but there is no way to get to it unless you have a hacked iPhone. My old nano does album shuffle!

(In my searches on the subject, some people seem really confused about what album shuffle means. The nano, and I believe iTunes and other iPods, have an option to play songs within an album in order but to go to a random album when the album completes. Shuffling all your songs at random does work on the iPhone.)

It should be a simple software fix to expose this setting. If this happens or not is a different question.

plumbingandtech
Dec 31, 2007, 03:54 PM
Beyond just liking it because it "just works", I love this thing simply because it is what I always wanted a phone to be like. A radical new interface that just make mobile things intuitive.

I've had Sony Erriconsons and BLackberrys and to me these things are a different device all together then the iPhone.

Cleverboy
Dec 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
After the 1.1.3 stuff, I'd like Coverflow-Quicklook/Spotlight/Disk-Mode/Web-Download to come in hand-in-hand, all at the same time. Being able to use my iPhone as a PDF reader would be huge, whether its reading a manual, a reference guide, or a tutorial.

~ CB

plumbingandtech
Dec 31, 2007, 03:56 PM
iPhone as a PDF reader

Me too. So badly I want this. That and todos that sync to the mac are the only dissapointments I have found.

In Feb. I expect those problems to go away.

sellitman
Dec 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have 2400 names and addresses in my book. I need a search function and I need to be able to search by name, 1st & Last and especially by company.

bmarker
Dec 31, 2007, 04:11 PM
I have 2400 names and addresses in my book. I need a search function and I need to be able to search by name, 1st & Last and especially by company.

Oh yes. The address book. I also wish there were filters for only-addresses-with-phone-numbers or only-addresses-with-street-addresses for the various apps that let you pull up the contacts.

aswitcher
Dec 31, 2007, 04:16 PM
Love to come to Aus at a decent price.

Wants: Software
C&P

Pages/Numbers/Keynote integration

iDisk on my iPhone/touch

Voice calling - for my BT headset (see below)

Offline webpages - so I can download a bunch either via the mac or wifi and it will cache the lot and allow me to look at them when I am "offline"

Delicious Monsters Library on my touch/iphone with synching to my home machine

Copy of all my home macs itunes library searchable by artist/album/year of release so I can have it handy when I go shopping - syncs automatically

Mactracker on my touch/iphone that syncs with my home mac

A shopping webclips/camera program for bigger ticket items and geek toys that works a little like DM Library so I can keep info and pics of items I am shopping around for and ability to add new images right from my iphone camera taken at stores when I see something I want to do some research on or price elsewhere. Keeps item name, model number, colour, quantity available, shop name (with suburb for chains), address, website, google map address, sales person(s) name, rrp, discounted rrp, date of quote, date sale/quote ends, freehand notes, warranty, delivery cost, images of items/shops/even sales people. Allows several items to be made an item of interest so they can be seen together quickly or even on one page, and auto tabulates and highlights best price, highlights deadline dates and outs them in iCal with 2 day or so warning. Allows me to look at suburbs and see what shops I have quotes from there so if I unexpectedly end up somewhere I can see if there is anything I wanted to follow up on. Allows me to indicate I have purchased and the price(s) and extras, then archives so that its available to me if I need that info later - that is all info in case I want to tell others as well as the summary of what I ended up getting. Export function. Possible web integration so that I can contribute to a "Digg" like shopping experience for latest bargains etc maintained for free by whomever writes this badboy.

Wants: Hardware
3G

GPS BT shuffle like clip on so I dont need my phone out all the time and can have a second one mounted in the car. Easy ability to download maps for area not over the air so I can always have the city maps handy etc.

Nice audio recorder with stereo mike and audio input

Turn my iPhone into a 1.3+ MP video camera with 30fps

Stereo BT headphones with controls

Nice cradle that allows touch/phone to slip into it with audio/data connections in portrait mode, and then turns to landscape mode easily so I can watch stuff. Same cradle might be car mountable for GPS. Stand should be nice and stable because I am going to be touching it, not too plasticy or bizzy. Maybe even use the space behind it to hold accessories like the cover/case, earphones etc whilst it is docked. Ability to use whilst ihone/touch still in a slim case would be excellent.

ccheile
Dec 31, 2007, 04:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

how about the ability to use the iPhone as a remote for iTunes on my home computer over my home network. This should be a simple software fix

Deanster
Dec 31, 2007, 04:26 PM
I have three, and they seem sooooo simple.

1) Copy and Paste. It's just crazy-making to have useful data, like a phone number, e-mail address, or a reservation number in one part of the phone, and not be able to move it to another. It's the most-limiting aspect of the device, for me. If I want to copy a number from, say, an e-mail to a calendar event, I need to write it down, and re-enter it... copy&paste is one of the fundamental functions of a device, IMHO.

2) I want voice mail to play through my BT headset. It's ridiculous to have to hold the handset to my head to listen to voice mail, when the headset is live.

3) Address Book Search - finding anything in the address book is just frustrating beyond belief. It took me 15 minutes the other day to find someone in my own address book. I tried it on my old Treo when I got home - 2 seconds, including typing in the name... A similar aspect is 'Global Search' - the ability to search for a word anywhere in the iPhone, whether it's an event, note, e-mail, or whatever.

Finally, it's not one of my big wishes, because it doesn't happen much, but the current system for handling MMS messages, which requires me to go to a website, and enter two random-alphanumeric strings to see my message, is equally nutty, and made doubly bad by the lack of copy&paste. I get an MMS about once a quarter, but it absolutely shatters the sense of 'ease-of-use' that the iPhone is supposed to create. Can't imagine what regular MMS'ers feel like.

Cleverboy
Dec 31, 2007, 04:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)
how about the ability to use the iPhone as a remote for iTunes on my home computer over my home network. This should be a simple software fixBut that's already done (http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/). That's really the only way it SHOULD be done too (aside from refining the authentication process into something more akin to "pairing"). Apple needs to add "key chain" to the iPhone to simplify auto-login (I've submitted this and they're aware of it), then allowing shortcuts on the homepage (like in 1.1.3) pretty much nails this functionality.

~ CB

synth3tik
Dec 31, 2007, 04:40 PM
I think that the 1.1.3 update will be a big step forward. I would love to have more to do with it. Running and creating apps w.o having to jailbreak it first. I would also like to see a big increases in storage space. I think for that though we will have wait for solid state drives to become cheaper.

autrefois
Dec 31, 2007, 04:53 PM
I agree with your wants, but "viral development" may be a poor choice of words...

I know this wasn't your intent, but one of the reasons they have the phone locked right now is to protect against the malware (viruses, etc.).

So Apple, please make the SDK free to allow for the abundant development of software to continue, while making sure it's safe enough to prevent any viral development. :)

fyrmedic
Dec 31, 2007, 04:55 PM
This is a California company and as of july. only hands free cell phone use in the car is allowed.

come on....NO voice dial.(make it over bluetooth) apple wants business people to use this phone, but I have to go to three menus just to dial a contact. and lets face it...in sales e-mail takes you only so far, you got to talk to people.

No week view in the calender??? not custimization of repeating events very weak.

not a huge deal breaker. but no picture messaging? other than the calender my wife got a free phone that does all of that:confused:

UMHurricanes34
Dec 31, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'd love to see some functionality and integration of the iPhone to the user's home network. I'm talking about being able to see the computer's shared iTunes library and being able to stream that content from anywhere on that network. For such a capable device and Apple's dedication to seamless integration, I'm actually surprised this functionality doesnt already exist. Especially considering Apple TV's ability to do just that, it seems like the iPhone (and the iTouch for that matter) would be the prime candidate for such functionality.

That's my biggest wish, my more reasonable wishes are for updates that make this rather expensive phone do everything a free phone can do.
- MMS
- Ability to delete individual SMS messages
- More storage space for SMS conversations (8GBs of space yet I have to clear my conversations so often? I owned a BlackJack for months before the iPhone and never had to delete a single SMS message.)
- Flash support in Safari
- Landscape modes for all applications.
- Mass deleting in Mail
- Simple, fun games such as the iPod standards breakout, solitaire, etc.
- Video recording abilities and zoom and brightness function settings for both video and still capturing. Imagine pinching the camera screen for the zoom function and flicking for brightness settings, etc.

All in all, the iPhone is perfect for me, but these are the things I really want to see, and they're all extremely reasonable so I'm looking forward to see what the future holds in the software updates.

aswitcher
Dec 31, 2007, 04:58 PM
But that's already done (http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/). That's really the only way it SHOULD be done too (aside from refining the authentication process into something more akin to "pairing"). Apple needs to add "key chain" to the iPhone to simplify auto-login (I've submitted this and they're aware of it), then allowing shortcuts on the homepage (like in 1.1.3) pretty much nails this functionality.

~ CB

Yeah .Mac synching and keychain is a must for this year.

Barham
Dec 31, 2007, 04:59 PM
Two words...

Copy-Paste

Seriously, why is it so hard?

ajhill
Dec 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
First, Apple will not make the SDK free. Never has been, never will be. Period.

Most likely the only apps that will go on an iPhone are those that are sanctioned and sold through the iTunes music store. Hey, Apple spend hundreds of millions of dollars to make this thing. If you are going to make a but off the iPhone, Apple is due their small cut. They are learning from Microsoft. They have to in order to save up enough cash to buy Microsoft and rid the world of windows!

My picks for iPhone features:

BT Headphones. The cable is always snagging on something. And make them of a quality worthy of iTunes+ recordings.

Cut and Paste, and Search.

In Safari allow be to go back to a page I just visited w/o loading a new copy of the page that I was just visiting. Cache it Apple!!! Especially on Edge!

Don't get me wrong, all those hard working Apple employees who worked on this elegant device deserve a standing ovation from us users (shareholders). They did a great job! Now take a day off and start planning that early retirement! :)

Al

sososowhat
Dec 31, 2007, 05:12 PM
Why can't the iPhone sync podcasts (or playlists for that matter, but I most care about podcasts which update daily) wirelessly when I'm connected to my home network?

plumbingandtech
Dec 31, 2007, 05:13 PM
This is a California company and as of Jan 1st. only hands free cell phone use in the car is allowed.

Wrong.

The new law, SB1613, will take effect July 1, 2008, giving the Department of Motor Vehicles time to update its manuals and drivers time to get used to the idea.

cheekybobcat
I would LOVE to see a Flash/Java plugin so watching videos from YouTube isn't your only option. A PDF reader would be AMAZING and I know that's been said over and over again. A 16GB model would be nice wuold be great too. I can't fit much of my music or videos on 8GB of space. Of course, a SDK allowing third-party applications to be downloaded. Finally, I want to be able to MANUALLY manage my music and videos like on the iPod Touch.

Cleverboy
First, Apple will not make the SDK free. Never has been, never will be. Period.Uh, huh. Why so opinionated on this point? We've got anywhere from 30-58 days to wait before we know for sure. :) It's completely off-topic, but I agree Apple is pushing for something. I just think what they're pushing for, are more Mac savvy developers and ADC members in the mix. At the end of the day, I believe we'll likely see a paid version of XCode "lite" for Windows or something of the sort ($30-$79). --We'll see though, no need to make a stink until then.

~ CB

aross99
Dec 31, 2007, 05:15 PM
Three things:

1. Receive MMS messages. Don't care if I can send them or not.
2. OPTIONAL Reminder sounds for missed calls/txt/voice mail
3. Video Recording...

chr1s60
Dec 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
I am excited for what seems to be a real 1.1.3 update, but after that I still want MMS, copy/paste, and flash.

longofest
Dec 31, 2007, 06:04 PM
Three things:

You can. Have someone send you an MMS message, and see what happens.

currentinterest
Dec 31, 2007, 06:12 PM
1. Horizontal keyboard across all applications.

2. Cut, Copy, & Paste

3. pictures in messages

As for voice, don't all iPhone users drive bluetooth equipped cars?

aswitcher
Dec 31, 2007, 06:16 PM

Yeah thats a good one.

And album art mode reflects the current list not the total library.

And podcasts that are video play video not audio if you want from the podcast directory - some sort of settings to enable this to save me stuffing around. And a symbol to indicate its video.

Marzzz
Dec 31, 2007, 07:35 PM
What about more memory? I need at least 15 GB!!

Lose the AT&T tie-in.

3rd party apps, Epocrates here I come!

Everything else, +1....

kcroy
Dec 31, 2007, 08:35 PM
I need to email the same message to more than one person easily. I am part of several committees and I need to send the same message to everyone at once. On Mail I simply create a group. I can email everyone in that group at once. I can do this from my computer, but it cannot be done from an iPhone. Hard to believe but true. Surely this would be an easy fix. I know some of you won't believe me, so try it out.

liberty4all
Dec 31, 2007, 08:53 PM
So will the new iPhone also have GPS integral & able to be turned off at will? Rotatable or dual cameras for video conferencing AND pictures? 3 or 3.5G? 802.11N? A2DP? Wireless sync? Video out for applications, not just iPod features? A better antenna? Better ear volume and speakerphone? USB Mass Storage Profile? Better grip-able case? WiMax? Flash & Java? Remote A/V streaming and ability to be used as a remote control to Macs, Windows & Apple TVs? Will any of these features be SW updates to existing iPhones?

Yes, this is my growing wishlist! ;)

Digital Skunk
Dec 31, 2007, 09:23 PM
To make my long list of loves and wants quick:

I love the entire device so far except for its limitations and missing features.

I want a better service provider and a real smartphone with real smartphone features.

Cleverboy
Dec 31, 2007, 09:31 PM
To make my long list of loves and wants quick:
I love the entire device so far except for its limitations and missing features.
I want a better service provider and a real smartphone with real smartphone features.I don't know how well that works, but its an admirable effort at Apple-like simplicity. ;) It's the second line where it falls apart completely. "better service provider" is extremely subjective, and a "real smartphone with real smartphone features" uses a lot of words to probably only say "3rd party development support", which is only 4 clear words compared to 6 ambiguous ones. Even now, if you use a web app like BeeJive or EditGrid, you'd be hard pressed not to call these excellent programs unless you're just being biased. Even a thin client deserves some love, and a JS interpreter still runs locally despite all the gnashing and moaning. :D

~ CB

fyrmedic
Dec 31, 2007, 09:36 PM
Wrong.

ok I am off a coupe of months...point is NO voice dial:mad:

skeen
Dec 31, 2007, 09:51 PM
I cannot wait for the SDK. We're seriously lacking software for the iPhone, unless you're willing to jailbreak (which I did, but then reverted, as I didn't like the odd behaviour it caused).

1.1.3 will at least be something, and I hope we'll get that real soon!

devilot
Dec 31, 2007, 10:06 PM
- Ability to delete individual SMS messages
- More storage space for SMS conversations (8GBs of space yet I have to clear my conversations so often? I owned a BlackJack for months before the iPhone and never had to delete a single SMS message.)Yes! Thank you!

I read people who say, "I want such and such simple feature."

But honestly, what can be more simple than deleting a SINGLE DARNED SMS?! Why must I delete the whole "conversation?" Similarly, why can't I delete SINGLE CALL entries? I want to be able to do what cell phones from the 90s can do-- delete a single call from the log. ARGH!

Come on, peas, Apple?

And as an aside, more storage space for SMS would also be welcome-- I have v little audio and no video on my phone. I'm so willing to delegate GBs to SMS storage.

Digital Skunk
Dec 31, 2007, 10:26 PM
I don't know how well that works, but its an admirable effort at Apple-like simplicity. ;) It's the second line where it falls apart completely. "better service provider" is extremely subjective, and a "real smartphone with real smartphone features" uses a lot of words to probably only say "3rd party development support", which is only 4 clear words compared to 6 ambiguous ones. Even now, if you use a web app like BeeJive or EditGrid, you'd be hard pressed not to call these excellent programs unless you're just being biased. Even a thin client deserves some love, and a JS interpreter still runs locally despite all the gnashing and moaning. :D

~ CB

I agree with you, but let me make it more specific for more understanding.

1. A service provider that offer insurance for the device.
2. A service provider that will be using WiMax and not EDGE.
3. Phone as modem capability. I don't think that can be done via software.
4. iWork Mobile, something Apple should have included from the get go.
5. A real keyboard of some kind. I know the touch keypad is wonderful and all but I just haven't been able to use it as efficiently as a Treo's of Blackberries.

6. Disk mode.
7. There are more.

I love the UI, and I love th size of the device although i would take a thicker phone if there was a keyboard somewhere on it.

brandon6684
Dec 31, 2007, 10:48 PM
My biggest want is related to the reason I don't have an iPhone: I want to use the iPhone without switching to AT&T. Though an iPhone would useless on sprint where I live with kick ass EVDO coverage.

While an SDK is coming, if it's a DRM'd lock in type of thing, which looks likely, that's not going to do much for me.

Overall, at the moment, I'm looking forward more to the next generation PalmOS, if it ever arrives.

Cleverboy
Dec 31, 2007, 11:34 PM
I agree with you, but let me make it more specific for more understanding.

1. A service provider that offer insurance for the device.
2. A service provider that will be using WiMax and not EDGE.
3. Phone as modem capability. I don't think that can be done via software.
4. iWork Mobile, something Apple should have included from the get go.
5. A real keyboard of some kind. I know the touch keypad is wonderful and all but I just haven't been able to use it as efficiently as a Treo's of Blackberries.

6. Disk mode.
7. There are more.

I love the UI, and I love th size of the device although i would take a thicker phone if there was a keyboard somewhere on it.Cool beans. :)

I feel stupid for predicting that Apple would support Bluetooth keyboards. For me, between full-size and credit card sized Bluetooth keyboards, I think most people would be more than satisfied. I think Apple will be leery to let that happen though (because the phone is so powerful, it will IMMEDIATELY eliminate the need for a laptop for many people). Apple really needs to support vcard OBEX profiles and wireless vcalendar entries. I'm happy they're clearly realizing issues like this, by their addition of "vcard" handling as an email attachment.

Regarding iPhone as modem... I think its perfectly fine to setup a proxy server on the iPhone and tether it wirelessly that way. That's what most people mean when they praise their jailbreak tethering (at least I think).

There are two things that I don't think Apple will touch. --A replacement policy for damage, and a "new phone" policy for keeping people up-to-date. Ironically, if you purchase it through Best Buy I think you can get "exactly" those two things... they'll probably even offer it to you. Not sure if Apple's rolled out to Best Buy yet, but I remember some notes being made about it.

~ CB

KindredMAC
Dec 31, 2007, 11:48 PM
After owning my iPhone since early Sept and the BT handsfree since Christmas, here are my wants:

- Flash (Make it a setting in Prefs for Safari so that you can leave it off if you are burning too much battery.)
- Multi delete in Mail
- Ability to listen to music through my BT HandsFree earbud. (Really wanted it the other day as I stood in line at the Pharmacy....)
- Voice dialing through BT HandsFree.
- GPS iTrip-esque dock connector add on with integration into Google Maps.
- Radar option in Weather to be able to see a local radar animation.

guet
Jan 1, 2008, 04:06 AM

Xcode is free
Basic ADC membership is free
Apple SDKs are free

You can currently develop full featured desktop apps for free on OS X. So I'd expect the Apple iPhone SDK to be free, probably requiring an ADC membership to tie it to a specific developer for signing etc.

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 04:09 AM

Xcode is free
Basic ADC membership is free
Apple SDKs are free

You can currently develop full featured desktop apps for free on OS X. So I'd expect the Apple iPhone SDK to be free, probably requiring an ADC membership to tie it to a specific developer for signing etc.

With Android now stomping its way forward I think Apple would want to foster as much development and innovation for the iPhone as possible to stay in the game.

madfresh
Jan 1, 2008, 06:10 AM

2. Cut, Copy, & Paste

3. pictures in messages

As for voice, don't all iPhone users drive bluetooth equipped cars?
We also need video recording.

Abraxx
Jan 1, 2008, 08:05 AM
Missing mostly:

- copy&paste
- BCC in Mail !
- better IMAP support (Deletions still create duplicate Emails)
- receipt confirmation toggle for SMS, multiple SMS recipients
- more sound options to toggle for several functions
- more sounds to choose from

- for Hardware: only a stronger battery :)

Cheers :)

Al Feldzamen
Jan 1, 2008, 08:29 AM
Seems to me it should be obvious that, containing a microphone, operating system, and storage, the true KILLER APP for the iPhone would be DICTATION SOFTWARE. This of course, in addition to permitting the needed voice dialing, would let a user dictate an outgoing Email, the text of which could later be retrieved on a home computer or laptop, then to be filed, printed, whatever.

Now THAT would truly set the iPhone apart from all the other "advanced" cell phones, no?

Al Feldzamen

Lionheart
Jan 1, 2008, 11:42 AM
Voice dialing is NOT optional IMHO, especially on a touch-screen phone, since it is impossible to dial a number without taking your eyes off the road. Yeah...we're not supposed to do it, but most of us do.

C'mon Apple...this can't be that tough. Make the world a safer place and give us intelligent voice dialing, and maybe throw in voice control too. HTC does this very well.

nolo81
Jan 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
I would like to see it open for any network, that would make more since to me since Jobs wants to sell so many. Why not set it up for every carrier?. im not getting it for the simple fact its on at&t. Thats my choice, i dont want to go back with them for so many reasons but want an iphone badly. oh well.

gvegastiger
Jan 1, 2008, 01:40 PM
How about the ability to handle more complex forms of encryption on wi-fi like LEAP?

David Crellen
Jan 1, 2008, 01:48 PM
Being able to annotate photos would address several issues such as photographing store items and noting the item's price, specs, etc. and names +phone numbers of photographed persons. This should also apply to iPhoto.

X38
Jan 1, 2008, 02:02 PM
After the 1.1.3 stuff, I'd like Coverflow-Quicklook/Spotlight/Disk-Mode/Web-Download to come in hand-in-hand, all at the same time. Being able to use my iPhone as a PDF reader would be huge, whether its reading a manual, a reference guide, or a tutorial.

~ CB

An iPhone PDF viewer already exists. You can find it here, along with lots of other useful stuff:
http://iphone.natetrue.com/

You can easily get it with installer.app.

That's why the only thing that Apple really needs to do is get that SDK out and give it full access to all features of the iPhone.

X38
Jan 1, 2008, 02:03 PM
How about the ability to handle more complex forms of encryption on wi-fi like LEAP?

Amen brother! Aside from the SDK, that is the one thing I REALLY want.

X38
Jan 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
Seems to me it should be obvious that, containing a microphone, operating system, and storage, the true KILLER APP for the iPhone would be DICTATION SOFTWARE. This of course, in addition to permitting the needed voice dialing, would let a user dictate an outgoing Email, the text of which could later be retrieved on a home computer or laptop, then to be filed, printed, whatever.

Now THAT would truly set the iPhone apart from all the other "advanced" cell phones, no?

Al Feldzamen

There is already a very nice voice recorder application (VoiceNotes) available using installer.app. It can even import voice mail recordings and export to email messages. I've found that it even makes decent recording with the iPhone tucked in my pocket. Very handy.

X38
Jan 1, 2008, 02:11 PM

Yep, you guessed it, there is a very nice search application available using installer.app. Very nice for searching my address book.

X38
Jan 1, 2008, 02:17 PM
Three things:

[...]

Already have an MMS application on my iPhone too.

Reading this thread, it is abundantly clear that if Apple will just let third party developers onto the iPhone, most wish lists will be fulfilled in one stroke and with no other effort on Apple's part.

For now, no way am I giving up 1.0.2.

motomullet
Jan 1, 2008, 02:34 PM
software:
mulitple person text messages
MMS, which includes video

hardware:
GPS

Kevin83165
Jan 1, 2008, 05:08 PM
2nd the GPS

springerj
Jan 1, 2008, 06:15 PM
The biggest thing I want is syncing contacts and calendars over .mac.
I don't mind plugging my iphone into my mac to update music and photos, which I don't do often, but calendars and contacts can change every day.
All my other macs stay synced automatically. Why can't my iphone?

kgibbs
Jan 1, 2008, 06:29 PM
(1) Flash
(2) mail app to put all mail in a central window (going in and out and in and out is maddening), filtering at the phone level and search
(3) Actually, search functionality in all apps (safari, mail, notes)
(4) A PDF reader
(5) Cut/copy/paste
(6) Safari caching
(7) GPS
(8) Dictation (I use Jott...but it should a native app)
(9) A integrated (with your Contacts), syncable To Do app (nested items, check boxes)
(10) Mobile iWork
(11) a new long-lasting replacement battery
11) all of the stuff in 1.1.3

JGIGS
Jan 1, 2008, 06:45 PM
can't believe nobody has mentioned the ringer and alert volume on the iphone. I have a hard time hearing it ring in my pocket or in a busy place or in the car listening to music. My old sony ericsson was nice and loud no problem at all.

Other simple things that should have been available when it was released and most other smart phones/phones have:

flash for the camera
video ability for the camera
dedicated camera button (its near impossible to take a self potrait because you can't find the picture button, not to mention how easy it is to shake the camera)
better image stabilization
mms messaging

I find it odd that apple who is so all about how they are so great and friendly compared to pc's left these functions off the iphone.

multiple contact sms's
ability to edit specific sounds for voicemail alert. sms alert etc
cut and paste
disk use in exploere or finder
bluetooth connectivity to other handsets to send contacts, pictures, ringtones, (obvisouly they wouldn't allow the ringtone part as that affects profits but contacts and pics? why not?)
voice dialing
third party apps
3G
voice memo (not that I use it really but some people do)
some games

More complex things

java
flash
to do list that can sync with mac

To sum up I think the iphone is missing a lot basic features which I simply don't understand how something so revolutionary and advanced in certain aspects drops the ball on basic things that have existed on other phones for quite some time now.

josephmoore
Jan 1, 2008, 08:03 PM
Here's what I would like to see in no particular order.

On current hardware:
tap and hold right click
make notes text editor compatible with txt and rtf
remove double tap zoom in/out
text highlight - double tap selects word, triple tap selects section
cut/copy/paste
press and hold backspace clears field
landscape mode for every app - esp text and email
consistent keyboard between apps
option to turn off zoom effect on keyboard
vibrate feedback option on keyboard
tasks sync
documents sync
.mac integration
exchange integration
entourage and third party mail/contact/calendar/task compatibility
mount to desktop like ipod - drag and drop to folders
ipod playlist performance in itunes
adobe flash support in browser
java support
wifi and/or bluetooth tether and sync
custom sounds for new voicemail, etc
search address book
numeric speed dial
voice recognition/voice dialing - mic and bluetooth
instant messenger services
custom check for new email timeframe on iphone
video camera app
audio recorder app
keychain
send mms (picture/video messaging)
delete single sms (text messaging)
search entire phone
send email to entire contact group
create contact groups on phone
bcc in mail app
multiple recipient text messages

Next hardware revision:
3g
gps
no recessed headphone jack
sd card slot for memory expansion
easy battery replacement
lose the chrome bezel and make the back one color

harper101
Jan 1, 2008, 09:38 PM
This is a California company and as of Jan 1st. only hands free cell phone use in the car is allowed.

come on....NO voice dial.(make it over bluetooth) apple wants business people to use this phone, but I have to go to three menus just to dial a contact. and lets face it...in sales e-mail takes you only so far, you got to talk to people.

No week view in the calender??? not custimization of repeating events very weak.

not a huge deal breaker. but no picture messaging? other than the calender my wife got a free phone that does all of that:confused:

ummm, actually, it goes into affect on July1, 2008.

hookem92
Jan 1, 2008, 09:47 PM

1)blue tooth data transfer for photos and email attachments
2)blue tooth stereo headphone interface for wireless music and phone calls

ssennott
Jan 1, 2008, 10:05 PM
Bluetooth connectivity with an awesome portable Apple keyboard. Gosh, a few people mentioned a slimmed down version of iWork. Think about how powerful those two things would make the iPhone!

It would be terrific to have it be a router for the new subcompact, but in time that stuff probably won't matter as much.

SilvorX
Jan 1, 2008, 10:52 PM

Seconded! I wish Rogers would stop being an arse and freaking play by Apple's rules and release the iPhone already.

I'll buy one when it reaches 3G.
I'd love to see a micro SD slot, sure I could just email everything I need from another device to the iPhone, but ability to have additional storage when you run low is a great idea. 8GB isn't that much storage.

mmulin
Jan 2, 2008, 05:36 AM
I know it's a little item but the lack of album shuffle on an unhacked iPhone bugs me. Sure, there are bigger issues. Apparently the option exists in the configuration file but there is no way to get to it unless you have a hacked iPhone. My old nano does album shuffle!

..cut..

It should be a simple software fix to expose this setting. If this happens or not is a different question.

I totally agree. it is annoying not to have this feature.

I have one question though. Can you link me or instruct me how to enable the feature on a hacked unit? Can't find a reference on the inet.

Btw, hacking your phone is incredibly easy by now and you should give it a try ;)

lshaner
Jan 2, 2008, 10:27 AM
0) cut-n-paste, 3G network, 2x/4x the memory, stickies sync, to-do's (all commonly requested/anticipated)

1) Support for wireless headphone/headset integrated devices with Bluetooth 2.x Stereo headphone + remote control + handsfree calling + voice dialing + caller ID announce

2) Flash player in Safari

3) Java

4) iTunes playlist and meta-data editor

bc008
Jan 2, 2008, 10:55 AM
my short list (as of now i am talking about my iPt, but it looks like iphones have service in my area now so only the future can tell!

1. able to put sites on the homescreen (looks like ill get this w/ 1.1.3)
2. video recording w/ camera

bmarker
Jan 2, 2008, 11:51 AM
Btw, hacking your phone is incredibly easy by now and you should give it a try ;)

I only recently got my iPhone so I figured I'd wait till the SDK comes out to decide to jailbreak it or not. If we can choose to install apps not approved by Apple, I'll be OK with that. If we can only install apps approved by Apple, then I shall be jailbreaking it.

Album shuffle related links:
Extended settings app (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/18/tuaw-hack-mess-with-your-iphone-settings-screens/)
More on unexposed settings (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/27/a-half-dozen-fun-undocumented-iphone-preferences/)
Discussion of the settings involved (http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18867)

tex092287
Jan 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
Adding the ability to Foward SMS, and to send SMS to multiple Contacts.

Copy & Paste is a must

and Voice-Dial!!

Voice recording ability

Video Recording ability

Digital Skunk
Jan 2, 2008, 12:43 PM
Bluetooth connectivity with an awesome portable Apple keyboard. Gosh, a few people mentioned a slimmed down version of iWork. Think about how powerful those two things would make the iPhone!

It would be terrific to have it be a router for the new subcompact, but in time that stuff probably won't matter as much.

The sad part is that most users that didn't choose the iPhone are getting that now, and those that have the iPhone consider it a good idea to add it on. The Palm Treo had bluetooth keyboards, mobile office apps, and can be used as a modem/router already. These are just some of the things that should have been in the first revision of the iPhone, and I don't see them coming into the next model anytime soon.

Is sad to say that by the time Apple puts those features in the next iPhone, the competition would have improved their UI and have surpassed the iPhone in regards to features yet again.

TitoC
Jan 2, 2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

iPhone Wants: Hardware
Any hardware upgrades would require replacing the current iPhone or perhaps the development of a 3rd party dongle, but some of the more sought-after hardware revisions include the inclusion of GPS (3rd party dongle in development? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/15/real-iphone-gps-module-in-development/)), 3G, and the elimination of the recessed headphone jack.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/29/a-year-later-iphone-loves-and-wants/)

When are people going to realize that to get the FULL functionality of the iPhone WITH a call/pause/skip/mic button, you NEED the four-pin jack (1/8 in./3.5 mm)? A regular MP3 jack ain't going to cut it. If they went ahead and made the iPhone with a traditional 1/4 in plug jack, you wouldn't have all the functionality that the iPhone headset has now. It's that simple.

YoungCreative
Jan 2, 2008, 03:09 PM
One word:

FLASH!

peterlobl
Jan 2, 2008, 03:35 PM
I love the iPhone (well I guess thats duhly obvious...)

BUT

please give email functions that work well - at least as well as my Treo 700 - I loathe that thing (how fickle !) - but it's email POP capabilities are..

much better than the iPhone!

I understand Exchange and other Server support requiring time, etc - BUT how much extra programming can making the email delete, search, speed, etc work "normally".. at least up to previous smartphone standards??

I have lost emails due to bugs, shifting ones between folders I dare not attempt anymore - and deleting emails often times does NOT delete them off the various POP servers I use... also weird slowness creeps in, rare lockup, etc---- it would be so much easier, I feel, to blast by Blackberry and of course TREO if email just worked...

as it is, well- it's like a girlfriend who u wish lost 5 pounds, or who told just a little better jokes

PS Secure browsing of bank/stock trade sites is sooooo close to working (even without JAVA) but again.. bugs (like crashes during movements in periods of slow screen refreshes, or refusing to submit certain buttons... and lethargy in certain https sites) hurts the heart as much as the head

(of course next update will help, yes?)

byt0r
Jan 2, 2008, 05:51 PM
I dont understand what you people are clammoring about a PDF reader. Its already native to the phone, built in to safari. Email yourself a PDF and viola, you can open it and read it on your phone. I do it all the time.

On another note, I find it interesting all of the thing people want their phone to do. This phone does far more than any other phone I have ever posessed. I am not interested in writing a novel or making a documentary using my phone. While some of that functionality might be nice, its really not necessary. I would like to see greater storage flexibility, being able to send SMS to multiple recipients (forthcoming), MMS support, a to do list and perhaps a better calculator (HP12C comes to mind) however, with all of the web apps available, I find myself able to play some games, look up movies, get stock quotes, check weather and some other cool stuff without a jailbreak of any sort.

Prior to the iPhone, I was a Treo user. While the ability to install apps on the phone was a cool feature, it contributed to a tremendously unstable Treo that was plagued with lockups and such. I for one would forego a bunch of bells and whistles for stability any day.

So, in summary, while the ability to add applications might be fun, perhaps beefing up the existing applications would prove useful. At any rate, here is my laundry list of stuff.

Multiple SMS recipients
MMS Support (And I dont mean logging onto some website. Native support)
Cut & Paste
Support for Flash in Safari
A ToDo list
Note Syncing (probably forthcoming)
Flight tracking application
Better Calculator (Financial/Scientific)
Native Solitair app and maybe 1 or 2 other games

Gregg

Roller
Jan 2, 2008, 08:42 PM
Although I'd like most of the improvements people are asking for, voice dialing would be my #1 pick. I don't think we'll see this with the next update, though.

McGiord
Jan 2, 2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with most of the posted lists. Now reading the recent posted rumors for 1.1.3 we may see the cut & paste function.

In addition to those I would like to have this:
- Ability to lock the iPhone screen in landscape mode (when resting on my couch or laying on my bed its annoying to have my iPhone screen switching betwen landscape and portrait).
- SDK to easy also the integration with 3rd party hardware add ons: GPS, gamepad controller.
________
buy vapolution (http://www.**************/vapolution-vaporizer.html)

spotlight07
Jan 2, 2008, 11:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

video recording would be fun, photobooth effects for camera would be too. Better delete for mail and a spam button. Flash for online video besides youtube. A password keychain for safari. I use the iphone so much I love it and could never go back I'd sell my kidney before I'd give up the iPhone. The third party apps and games are great esp MobileCast and ToDo and photo surface

klimegreen
Jan 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
I want cut and paste and FLASH. Simple.

-
iPhone 8GB (http://personafile.com/iPhone-apps.html)

thegman1234
Jan 3, 2008, 05:37 AM
I haven't seen anyone mention this. How about accessing your shared iTunes library from the iPhone. That would be really sweet.

iDAQ
Jan 3, 2008, 05:51 AM
I will admit that I'm stuck on 1.0.2 because I AnySimmed my iPhone and couldn't manage to get it upgraded, but I would like to see the following:

- Date, Time and duration of all calls made/received
- Indication if call was received or made (incoming or outgoing)
- mass delete of e-mails

Plus the obvious everyone else has already mentioned (copy/paste, search, etc.)...

thefourthpope
Jan 3, 2008, 10:22 AM
the 3rd party apps don't fuss me much. I used installer.app for a while buttave it up.
My main wish is for the "desktop quality apps" touted way back in June, namely iCal with a to do list and iTunes with playlist editing. Then of course Safari would need Flash and the whole interface a Spotlight. But please please please: a dang to do list!!

skeen
Jan 3, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'd really like better syncing with the Safari. It should sync history as well as bookmarks, and keychain. Copy & Paste is a must, and overall just better stability.

The Flash omission isn't as bad as I thought - I've never needed to use it. People give the YouTube app a lot of *****, and I don't understand why - it's great.

All I'd ever want Flash for is videos - but perhaps they could develop technology to extract the video from flash files? That way we don't get the overall bloat of Flash, and lower performance.

skeep5
Jan 3, 2008, 09:59 PM

how about the ability to use the iPhone as a remote for iTunes on my home computer over my home network. This should be a simple software fix

I haven't tried it, but this looks cool: http://www.apple.com/webapps/entertainment/remotebuddy.html

DMEnfield
Jan 3, 2008, 10:03 PM
Copy-Paste feature
Full Bluetooth functionality
Ability to delete all email messages, rather than one-by-one
Ability to disable all auto polling for email w/o disabling email account
Greater volume, especially with speakerphone function

Digital Skunk
Jan 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
I want Apple to buy Palm Inc. and make the Treo into the iPhone. just put the UI into the Treo so it can run on Sprints network, and Apple can copy how Palm made a real phone and fix all the problems.

Best of both worlds.

toml1959
Jan 4, 2008, 07:03 AM
I wish for full BT support - I could use my old Moto 557 as a bluetooth modem for my PB in a pinch, and could sync using BT.

backdraft
Jan 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
Not asking for much here... I'd rather not have to send out my iPhone to replace the battery. Is it really that difficult to add a removable battery? The case can slide out with no visible latches! Simple. Clean. Effective.

Oh and real password protection... 4 character pin... embarrassing

emotion
Jan 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
Ability to disable all auto polling for email w/o disabling email account

This can already be done. Set Autocheck to 'Manual'.

I'd like the usual wants. Copy/paste, maybe better camera software and video recording, notes and todo support.
I'd also like to see better BT support and A2DP stereo headphone support. I think these are fairly realistic wants really.

I'd also like a system wide keychain and full search facility in all apps (especially iPod).

ddd269
Jan 4, 2008, 05:48 PM

Please!!! I want this more than cut and paste!
there should be a general search feature that will search all apps (phone book, mail, calendar, notes, etc. Uh... Kind of like Windows Mobile x.x

Mike Teezie
Jan 5, 2008, 10:57 AM
I haven't seen anyone mention this. How about accessing your shared iTunes library from the iPhone. That would be really sweet.

I was thinking this as well. How cool would that be?

Over the last week, I've been using my iPhone as Mr. Jobs intended. I've been leaving my 5G 30 gig iPod in my car, and using the iPhone everywhere I go. I was listening to Coldplay in the grocery store, a call came in, I answered it, hung up, back to Coldplay. Then, I browsed to a recipe on the 'net, to make sure I had all my ingredients. A few minutes later, I got a new email from a potential new client. Everything was so seamless and nice.

Kind of funny - such a small chain of events made me really fall in love with the thing after three and a half months. And that's just with the crappy included earphones. When my new stuff comes in next week, it's sure to get even more use as an iPod, and I'll love it even more.

I have my small gripes with it - copy/paste, etc, etc - but everything from here on out seems like more icing on the cake.

I'm looking forward to what the SDK will bring!

mendicant2
Jan 5, 2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.michaelhyatt.com/fromwhereisit/2007/11/second-thoughts.html

dwsolberg
Jan 5, 2008, 06:24 PM
As a consumer who doesn't have the business needs of a blackberry, I think the iPhone is the best device I've ever used. Even more exciting is that it has so much room to improve. I think a LOT of improvement will come after the SDK.

Here the additions I thought Apple would have delivered by now:
Wirelessly sync my iCal and Address Book using .Mac.
A real to-do application that syncs with .Mac
Cut and paste, at least in email

However, I really don't want ANY new features unless they can work perfectly. I don't want some device that has a bunch of half-implement features that are frustrating to use.

Here are the hardware changes I hope for over time:
1. 3G (when it's more available)
2. Faster processor to run complex applications.
3. Better battery life.
4. Any change to make the device smaller while keeping the screen at least as big.
5. GPS
6. Better camera
7. MUCH louder ringer and speakerphone (this is a big one)
8. Headphone jack that is usable with a dongle

aswitcher
Jan 5, 2008, 07:57 PM
As a consumer who doesn't have the business needs of a blackberry, I think the iPhone is the best device I've ever used. Even more exciting is that it has so much room to improve. I think a LOT of improvement will come after the SDK.

Here the additions I thought Apple would have delivered by now:
Wirelessly sync my iCal and Address Book using .Mac.
A real to-do application that syncs with .Mac
Cut and paste, at least in email

However, I really don't want ANY new features unless they can work perfectly. I don't want some device that has a bunch of half-implement features that are frustrating to use.

Here are the hardware changes I hope for over time:
1. 3G (when it's more available)
2. Faster processor to run complex applications.
3. Better battery life.
4. Any change to make the device smaller while keeping the screen at least as big.
5. GPS
6. Better camera
7. MUCH louder ringer and speakerphone (this is a big one)
8. Headphone jack that is usable with a dongle

Vibrate would be nice as well.

weeniewawa?
Jan 5, 2008, 11:23 PM
I received a PDF the other day and could read it. I could not edit it tho.
I would like to be able to print an email or anything for that matter.
also would like to work with documents, even just a text file or email from the notes program

rottenaapl
Jan 6, 2008, 01:37 AM
new to the forum ;)

a birdie told me that m68a and n45a (hardware updated versions of the iphone and ipod touch, respectively) will be announced at the macworld expo. storage capacity will double for both, although i dont know about whether the price will change or not.

also, printing directly from the phone will not work because of something to do with the type of processor it uses (i dont understand it, but that is the reason)

jonny
Jan 6, 2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

emotion
Jan 6, 2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Not that controversial really. Stands to reason. You could say this about watching films at home on most TVs too.

jonny
Jan 6, 2008, 11:04 AM
Not that controversial really. Stands to reason. You could say this about watching films at home on most TVs too.

or on airplanes, or on computers... i never thought it was controversial. Funny? YES.

thegman1234
Jan 6, 2008, 12:41 PM

So I guess we should all buy portable power generators and bring our TVs with us on airplanes and to wait rooms. Unless he's cool with portable DVD players.

:sigh:

BTW I don't think he was specifically talking about the iPhone, I just think that people ignorantly called this an iPhone attack as their own sort of ignorant iPhone attack.

emotion
Jan 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
So I guess we should all buy portable power generators and bring our TVs with us on airplanes and to wait rooms. Unless he's cool with portable DVD players.

Nope. You should only ever watch films at the cinema.

Most film makers adopt this unrealistic view. Admittedly I can understand the view but it's still unrealistic.

However, I'm not saying there's owt wrong with watching video on a phone. It would be like a musician saying it's horrific that anyone would listen to his/her music with the nasty standard earbuds (even though, in this case, I'd tend to agree).

carlivar
Jan 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
Two things, both bluetooth:

A2DP
Bluetooth keyboard input

The lack of A2DP is really mind-boggling.

thegman1234
Jan 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
Nope. You should only ever watch films at the cinema....

I hate going to the movies lol.

Apple should try to add A2DP to the phone, I would definitely pay for bluetooth headphones with a mic and button.

neutrino23
Jan 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
•Salling Clicker support
•BT or WiFi syncing
•Voice dialing
•Cut and Paste
•Safari caching
•Safari : open link in a new page and cache the old page
•iPod: display full length of long song titles
•iPod: find a way to scrub back and forth just a few seconds or tens of seconds at a time in long songs. Now when I listen to an hour long podcast I can only jump back about 90 seconds at the minimum if I'm very careful. It should be like scrolling titles. Move your finger slowly and scrub a few seconds. Move it fast and scrub several minutes. Point into the timeline to jump long distances.
•Make the iPhone work as a modem for my MacBook Pro

MBX
Jan 6, 2008, 04:55 PM
Flash support in safari goddamnit. It's not baby-internet, or is it stevie?

obeygiant
Jan 7, 2008, 08:13 AM
After reading this thread, i don't think i want an iPhone any longer. It sounds as if there are too many features I take for granted on my treo 650 that the iPhone would never include on this next update. I may be better off with and new two year contract with my phone company and getting an iPhone later. Unless the update at this year's Macworld is going to be huge.

PowerPhone
Jan 7, 2008, 11:27 AM
Needs "Search-able" CONTACTS, plus CUT+PASTE.

Like with Palm Software, you should be able to type in a name and SEARCH the whole phone (CONTACTS, CALENDAR, EMAIL) to track people, #'s, events.

This was marketed as the ULTIMATE SMARTPHONE. Without these functions, this is a complete over-promise (and MIS-LEAD).

Hopefully remedied with a software update SOON!!

PupnTaco
Jan 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
Love:
Most everything

Want:
• The ability to delete multiple e-mails at once
• A home screen icon for Contacts/Address Book
• Flash support in Safari
• Better battery life

londonlad
Jan 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
Two words...

Copy-Paste

2 more words:

video capture

ugp
Jan 7, 2008, 08:54 PM
I didn't see it scanning through the thread but I would love to see .Mac Syncing. Like when I enter my work schedule at work I would love to see it automatically sync at home. Just like your Macs do. That goes for anything .Mac Syncs between Macs.

I would also myself love to see Java and Flash support but I think there is a reason Apple left this out. Probably security issues and Java tends to be a piece of crap and eats resources.

Abraxx
Jan 8, 2008, 04:16 AM
I would like too add to my list:

- forwarding SMS
- receiving MMS (I don't need to send them)
- delete multiple emails at once

cheers :)

Missing mostly:

- copy&paste
- BCC in Mail !
- better IMAP support (Deletions still create duplicate Emails)
- receipt confirmation toggle for SMS, multiple SMS recipients
- more sound options to toggle for several functions
- more sounds to choose from

- for Hardware: only a stronger battery :)

Cheers :)

SRSound
Jan 8, 2008, 05:12 AM
After reading this thread, i don't think i want an iPhone any longer. It sounds as if there are too many features I take for granted on my treo 650 that the iPhone would never include on this next update. I may be better off with and new two year contract with my phone company and getting an iPhone later. Unless the update at this year's Macworld is going to be huge.

Everyone I know (who likes technology) has a Treo or Blackberry or MotoQ or Blackjack; not a single one doesnt ask me to play with my iphone every time I take it out. Yes, there are missing features (which will be fixed via software update or 3rd party apps) but what it does do, it does infinitely better than anything out there.

ugp
Jan 8, 2008, 06:02 AM
I would like too add to my list:

- forwarding SMS
- receiving MMS (I don't need to send them)
- delete multiple emails at once

cheers :)

Yeah the email got annoying. Especially when I was using a POP account and there was one time I had to delete over 200 messages...that was real fun.

As far as MMS you can receive them but you just have to log into a site to view them. I assume you mean view them right inside the message.

datafusion
Jan 8, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm with obeygiant - I had no idea so many things that i take for granted on my Treo 650 are missing.

Two other things I want/need:
- Something like Pocket Quicken - I track time & expenses on my phone.
And no, I don't want to pay $15/month to Intuit for QuickBooks Online
(outrageous!)

- Bluetooth modem. On the road, I need to take my computer online (not
just my phone), and there's not always a (free) wireless access point
around.

duncan77
Jan 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'd second Cut-n-Paste and A2DP.

I'd also like to see better gmail and gcal integration. Gmail over IMAP isn't the same (I'd like to see and/or sync to the contacts there, for instance) and I don't see why the calendar in my phone can't grab info off my shared gCal calendars without using a desktop as intermediary.

Handling of podcasts could be better, too. Auto-syncing of subscribed feeds over WiFi would be nice, as would the ability to automagically play all of the unheard episodes on the device. (Unless I'm missing something) It seems brain-dead to have to unlock the phone and manually advance to the next episode of a daily podcast.

spaz8
Jan 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
Iphone in Canada! I think RIM (blackberry people) helped slow things down by firing off patent lawsuits etc to stall things and buy them time to make improvments to the blackberry.

Plus with only Rogers supporting the current tech of the iphone (pre 3G) there was no bidding war or company taht would quickly cave to apple's terms to have the product.

I sure hope I hear Canada and iphone in the same sentence at macworld.

Seconded! I wish Rogers would stop being an arse and freaking play by Apple's rules and release the iPhone already.

I'll buy one when it reaches 3G.
I'd love to see a micro SD slot, sure I could just email everything I need from another device to the iPhone, but ability to have additional storage when you run low is a great idea. 8GB isn't that much storage.

ugp
Jan 8, 2008, 09:43 PM
I wanna see Bluetooth connection with Address Book on the Mac for Bluetooth caller id. That was something I always wanted but never had a phone that supported it and I thought for sure the iPhone would do it but it doesn't. I was really sad.

njhaley
Jan 9, 2008, 09:59 AM
negative to the video capturing i say.

positive to more apps, and serious overhaul of SMS app.

- delete a single SMS from a conversation
- send to many (surely on the way)

and nobody seems to have seen this as a problem, maybe it just annoys me?..

- have a message counter whilst you type so you dont use up like 2 messages for one slightly too long message,
(all other phones have like 160/160 which decreases as you type more? )

anyone miss this feature?

ekalfwons
Jan 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
yeah, so i'm just off the phone to o2 and was talking to one of their call centre personnel about me getting an iphone. he told me that it is an 18month contract and if i could wait there will be an upgraded version of the iphone hitting the stores in the UK in an unknown month in 2009... he said the only main difference will be it is 3G enabled and 'a few other software tweaks' ...
that is not all, i was also told the price for this lovely little device will be an outstanding £500 :eek:

wooft!

ekalfwons
Jan 9, 2008, 11:37 AM
Everyone I know (who likes technology) has a Treo or Blackberry or MotoQ or Blackjack; not a single one doesnt ask me to play with my iphone every time I take it out. Yes, there are missing features (which will be fixed via software update or 3rd party apps) but what it does do, it does infinitely better than anything out there.

not being funny but minus the touch screen... N95 phone does the same minus the cool look...

SRSound
Jan 9, 2008, 06:28 PM
not being funny but minus the touch screen... N95 phone does the same minus the cool look...

I agree, infact I would say the N95 does a whole lot more. What I was saying, though, is that for some of the general purpose functions (and especially syncing with the iLife suite), it couldnt be simpler or more elegant.

ekalfwons
Jan 10, 2008, 01:12 PM
I agree, infact I would say the N95 does a whole lot more. What I was saying, though, is that for some of the general purpose functions (and especially syncing with the iLife suite), it couldnt be simpler or more elegant.

and i agree as i read in thee macworld [magazine] review of it that it doesn't play well with a mac... shame on nokia!!!

xx

adamtehbadam
Jan 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
This is a list I compiled about a week ago, actually tried sending it to el jobs, but his .mac is apparantly flooded :p

anywho,

@ native IM client, iChat bonjour/jabber "auto recognition" of devices
- file transfers, could evolve into short range "PSP, nintendo DS style"
multiplayer games

@ iPhone downloadable games (iPod)

@ Drag and drop dock (customize the 4 icons on the home screen dock)

@ Multiple email attachments (photos)
-attach files from email app, not just specific files

@ Safari- right click feature (link press and hold context menu),
image select feature (press&hold > download image), animated GIF
support, Flash/FLV plugin

@ video cap & sound cap (voicenotes) app
-dongle for sound if need be

@ doodle app, native and or "facebook grafitti style"

@ safari - advanced options> enable HTML tag inserter GUI (pop up
keyboard style), "keychain" plugin - choose from a list of saved
logins and passwords and 1-click insert

@ Screensavers (galaxy, rss feed, vacation, flurry, etc..for the wow factor!)

@ Photobooth-style effects to camera app :)

@ Undo key/"Panic button", or possibly triple-tap the physical Home button to undo last action

@ RSS reader and/or Live bookmarks in safari

Johnner1999
Jan 10, 2008, 08:16 PM
I agree with many folks here -- and I'll 2nd with the ability to:

- move around the stand apps (ala laked 1.1.3)
- record video clips

and I'm hoping we can attach more then one photo on e-mails :-)

Corvillus
Jan 12, 2008, 05:22 AM

I completely agree. And I already have one here (in Windsor with an jailbroken and unlocked iPhone on Fido). Even for people that don't care about the iPhone and have no intention of buying, it will be good to see it come here because it will force data rates to floor, and introduce true flat rate data plans. Seriously, it's not uncommon for people to pay over a dollar a megabyte here ($5 for 10MB is a "good deal" in Canada). Whereas just about anywhere else is the world you pay $10-50 for unlimited data. So it coming here will benefit everybody indirectly due to the wireless data competition it will force.

avincent52
Jan 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
What do I want on an Iphone: A real phone network.

I live in northern New Jersey 12 miles outside of Manhattan, a place where six year olds have cell phones.

I use Verizon, not because I love their crippled phones, obnoxious employees, or blood-from-a-stone pricing.

I use it because I get good coverage and few dropped calls both locally and on the road.

Not so with AT&T.

Right now my choice is:
A great phone with a lousy network
A lousy phone with a great network

and since my phone is a business tool first and foremost I've gotta go with B) and there's no end in sight. Frustrating though it is, I'll keep my Razr and think about the next gen Ipod Touch.

Allen

Scott4551
Jan 12, 2008, 08:15 PM
I want picture messaging with some type of video messaging playback...If it had MMS capabilities I could get rid of my other phone.

cokeboy@mac.com
Jan 13, 2008, 07:42 AM
The only gripe I have with the iPhone after having it for over 4 months now is that you cant assign custom message tones :(

tenmiler
Jan 14, 2008, 12:23 AM
You can. Have someone send you an MMS message, and see what happens.

Yes, please, I LOVE "viewmymessage.com", a brilliant AT&T invention: Intuitive, easy to view, and useful. Let's keep it!

I pretty much agree with all the 'wants' here, as they are all pretty basic.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention for VOICE DIALING. This phone is nearly impossible to use with fat fingers and no ability for tactile feedback on the buttons. This phone WILL cause accidents. (yeah, spare me the lecture, you know you use it in the car)

But overall, I don't want to be over 6 months out of a product introduction and only having TWO dot dot releases. The release cycle absolutely stinks.

artmiks
Jan 14, 2008, 06:00 AM
Guys,

The next iPhone should have a cam next to the display side and iChat ... :)

mikeyg00
Jan 14, 2008, 02:25 PM

Al Feldzamen

Why hasn't voice recognition become more prevalent in general society? They've had it built into word processing software for a long time now, but I rarely see it used.

I had Dragon Naturally Speaking back nearly 10 years ago, and it was pretty accurate.

I have it in my car, and it works reasonably well, but I have to click something with my hand to activate it, then say the command, and for common functions, this takes longer than it would for me to do so manually.

I agree, that would be a killer app ... I'm thinking of canning my 8525 to get an iPhone, just for more convenient calling options (my 8525 has voice dial, but I need to pull out the stylus, click start, Voice Dial, and then speak the name. Not exactly quick.)

AJsAWiz
Jan 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, I'm extremely pleased with my iPhone BUT if I did have to select an area for improvement it would be a speedier alternative to EDGE ;)

kevinjames
Jan 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
The headphone/input jack needs to be universal for all headphones and all accessories (especially apple) like the bose system, ipod jacks etc.

This phone needs to be able to send and receive picture messages without having to go to the att picture page. The current system makes me feel like im using prodigy again.

The camera should be able to zoom.

Some speed would be nice. Get rid of edge.

but it's still the best phone out there...just make it perfect now!

kevin

thegman1234
Jan 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
...The camera should be able to zoom....

All a zoom feature does on a cell phone camera is enlarge the image. It's digital not optical zoom, so all it really does is enlarge and pixellate the image. I understand where zoom could come in handy, but really it's nothing more than what you can already do with pinching.

tady
Jan 15, 2008, 06:59 PM

Spare a thought for us here in Europe, especially Ireland... We have one of the highest numbers of phones per capita in Europe (2:1) and yet still no sign of the iPhone. The primary reason is there's no 3G support and there's few networks over here that are willing to or can cater to the current requirements of the iPhone...

That's my main disappointment of today's Keynote, no hardware upgrade to help promote the iPhone throughout the rest of Europe... actually screw Europe, I want it in Ireland... I'm reliably informed (by a blonde lady who's not smarter than a 10 year old) that they all speak French. Thank God I speak Irish... and French. And Danish. And Italian. And Islandic. And Montenegrin. Oh yeah, and English...

I gotta stop watching Family Guy... :o

rcossebo
Jan 15, 2008, 10:08 PM
Being a newbie to the forum as well as the the "new" generation of Apple, I would like to have an iPhone that is 3G, GPS, 32GB, in addition to all the great things it already has.
I think with the 3G, GPS and 32GB the phone would be the single most effective business tool and toy for everyone on the go. Plenty of room for tunes and vids as well as numbers and addresses! GPS for accurate location of sights in other towns when on business trips or vacations; and in case one is lost in the mountains while skiing or hiking, being able to be located by the rescue team.
Just my wants before I spring for an iPhone; currently I have a BlackBerry 8800 and a 16GB iPod touch; still wishing for an "all-in-one" instrument that will complete me! :D Ron

overanalyzer
Jan 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
All a zoom feature does on a cell phone camera is enlarge the image. It's digital not optical zoom, so all it really does is enlarge and pixellate the image. I understand where zoom could come in handy, but really it's nothing more than what you can already do with pinching.

Actually, several phones have cameras with optical zoom as well at this point. And liquid lenses can offer autofocus and optical zoom while being ultra compact and very energy efficient, so I suspect it's going to become increasingly standard along with higher resolution on phone cams.

applemax369
Jan 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
First let me say I love my phone. The visual voicemail is absolutely amazing--very, very useful--no more dialing up and pressing every number combination to get my messages. Awesome. Google maps has been incredible and the new drop pin and locate me feature is exactly what I needed. The size is great, love the look and feel of the device.

Now for the wishes...

Cut and Paste: Selection features--double tap a word to select the whole word, 1.5 taps, then drag to select multiple words, two finger tap to bring up Edit menu bubble, select function for selected text.

Email: Unbelievable to me that you can have multiple email accounts on the iPhone but only ONE signature? I have work and personal on mine and need the accounts to have separate signatures. At first I thought this was an oversight. But a few updates later and no fix for this. I'm completely baffled by this.

Search: I miss the ability to search. Sometimes I need to call someone, but can only remember the company, not the sales rep's name. Would really help if I could search for the company.

Calendar: I miss the colored group views of iCal and being able to view the calendars I want to view (ie work or personal or Colts season schedule at a glance)

Exchange support: Right now I use Synchronica service but it doesn't add calendar invites. This would be extremely helpful. What is taking Apple so long to incorporate this? I'm not talking about the IMAP. I want native Exchange support!

Alarm: I really don't like the scrolling wheel to select a number--give me the option to use a number pad please.

Alerts: Why am I limited to the reminder alert times iPhone gives me. Why can't I enter a custom reminder alert time?

Speakerphone and microphone sucks: Everyone complains when I use it. Hardware or software issue?

Bluetooth headset: I'm not sure if this is a Jawbone issue or an iPhone issue, but when I receive a call and don't want to use my Jawbone, I click the audio select button and select iPhone, but it will click over in a few seconds back to the Jawbone. This happens twice before the iPhone finally stays on iPhone and not on Jawbone. Very annoying.

Home: I would LOVE if half the home screen was dedicated to showing me a list view of my activities/appointments for the day just like my Palm Treo did on its main screen.

iPod: I wish I could tap and hold on a song (then it blinks) to add it to my On-the-go playlist just like other iPods do.

Calculator: I really, really, miss the multiple calculators that were available on my Treo. I had a financial, weights and measures, and a conversion calculator. I miss this. Seems very easy to incorporate.

Database program: Would love to see Filemaker Mobile on the iPhone.

To do list: I loved my Treo To Do list. I need one badly.

Syncing: Slight annoyance--If I put a new video in iTunes, I can't check it to sync to my iPhone until I connect and Sync the iPhone first, then sync again after the available option to check the video to sync it. Follow?

Games: I'm no game junky, but a couple of games would be nice, Solitaire, Mastermind. What about a racing game where you hold the iPhone like a steering wheel and utilize the accelerometer to steer. That would be cool.

External flash drive: Would like to use my iPhone as a flash drive to carry some files.

Safari: Flash support.

I think that's all for now. It seems to me that Apple is busy paving a new road with very innovative stuff, but some of us rely on simple applications we've been using forever that Apple has overlooked.

rcossebo
Jan 19, 2008, 04:40 AM
I like your thinking and trust the people at iPhone programming and marketing do too! Ron

First let me say I love my phone. The visual voicemail is absolutely amazing--very, very useful--no more dialing up and pressing every number combination to get my messages. Awesome. Google maps has been incredible and the new drop pin and locate me feature is exactly what I needed. The size is great, love the look and feel of the device.

Now for the wishes...

Cut and Paste: Selection features--double tap a word to select the whole word, 1.5 taps, then drag to select multiple words, two finger tap to bring up Edit menu bubble, select function for selected text.

Email: Unbelievable to me that you can have multiple email accounts on the iPhone but only ONE signature? I have work and personal on mine and need the accounts to have separate signatures. At first I thought this was an oversight. But a few updates later and no fix for this. I'm completely baffled by this.

Search: I miss the ability to search. Sometimes I need to call someone, but can only remember the company, not the sales rep's name. Would really help if I could search for the company.

Calendar: I miss the colored group views of iCal and being able to view the calendars I want to view (ie work or personal or Colts season schedule at a glance)

Exchange support: Right now I use Synchronica service but it doesn't add calendar invites. This would be extremely helpful. What is taking Apple so long to incorporate this? I'm not talking about the IMAP. I want native Exchange support!

Alarm: I really don't like the scrolling wheel to select a number--give me the option to use a number pad please.

Alerts: Why am I limited to the reminder alert times iPhone gives me. Why can't I enter a custom reminder alert time?

Speakerphone and microphone sucks: Everyone complains when I use it. Hardware or software issue?

Bluetooth headset: I'm not sure if this is a Jawbone issue or an iPhone issue, but when I receive a call and don't want to use my Jawbone, I click the audio select button and select iPhone, but it will click over in a few seconds back to the Jawbone. This happens twice before the iPhone finally stays on iPhone and not on Jawbone. Very annoying.

Home: I would LOVE if half the home screen was dedicated to showing me a list view of my activities/appointments for the day just like my Palm Treo did on its main screen.

iPod: I wish I could tap and hold on a song (then it blinks) to add it to my On-the-go playlist just like other iPods do.

Calculator: I really, really, miss the multiple calculators that were available on my Treo. I had a financial, weights and measures, and a conversion calculator. I miss this. Seems very easy to incorporate.

Database program: Would love to see Filemaker Mobile on the iPhone.

To do list: I loved my Treo To Do list. I need one badly.

Syncing: Slight annoyance--If I put a new video in iTunes, I can't check it to sync to my iPhone until I connect and Sync the iPhone first, then sync again after the available option to check the video to sync it. Follow?

Games: I'm no game junky, but a couple of games would be nice, Solitaire, Mastermind. What about a racing game where you hold the iPhone like a steering wheel and utilize the accelerometer to steer. That would be cool.

External flash drive: Would like to use my iPhone as a flash drive to carry some files.

Safari: Flash support.

I think that's all for now. It seems to me that Apple is busy paving a new road with very innovative stuff, but some of us rely on simple applications we've been using forever that Apple has overlooked.

overanalyzer
Jan 19, 2008, 12:24 PM

The interface for adding songs is different, since you have to go to the On-the-Go playlist and hit the plus button to add songs, but that seems faster to me than tap and hold. I assume your reasoning is to be able to add songs while they're playing or you're browsing another playlist, in addition to the current method?

This is somewhat simplified in 1.1.3, since you can now drag and drop music/videos to the iPhone for syncing instead of having to use the playlist/movie/show options.

warmseth
Jan 19, 2008, 10:23 PM
I have three, and they seem sooooo simple.

1) Copy and Paste. It's just crazy-making to have useful data, like a phone number, e-mail address, or a reservation number in one part of the phone, and not be able to move it to another. It's the most-limiting aspect of the device, for me. If I want to copy a number from, say, an e-mail to a calendar event, I need to write it down, and re-enter it... copy&paste is one of the fundamental functions of a device, IMHO.

2) I want voice mail to play through my BT headset. It's ridiculous to have to hold the handset to my head to listen to voice mail, when the headset is live.

3) Address Book Search - finding anything in the address book is just frustrating beyond belief. It took me 15 minutes the other day to find someone in my own address book. I tried it on my old Treo when I got home - 2 seconds, including typing in the name... A similar aspect is 'Global Search' - the ability to search for a word anywhere in the iPhone, whether it's an event, note, e-mail, or whatever.

Finally, it's not one of my big wishes, because it doesn't happen much, but the current system for handling MMS messages, which requires me to go to a website, and enter two random-alphanumeric strings to see my message, is equally nutty, and made doubly bad by the lack of copy&paste. I get an MMS about once a quarter, but it absolutely shatters the sense of 'ease-of-use' that the iPhone is supposed to create. Can't imagine what regular MMS'ers feel like.

add flash support and that is my list exactly..and has been since day 1!

lilsteviebaumer
Jan 23, 2008, 05:16 PM

(In my searches on the subject, some people seem really confused about what album shuffle means. The nano, and I believe iTunes and other iPods, have an option to play songs within an album in order but to go to a random album when the album completes. Shuffling all your songs at random does work on the iPhone.)

This is something that Apple seems to do since the introduction of OS X. Remove small useful features quietly.

I believe they are doing it to "simplify" the design or use of a product. Problem is, people really like some of these features. Like album shuffle is great! I didn't know til just now that they removed that.

Also, why did apple cripple the calendar app for iphone??? It is about time they added functionality into that app. Why does it not sync up and handle multiple calendars better? Why not sync the colors of calendars from iCal? Why no WEEK VIEW!!!???

This is very annoying and it seems that it takes one of 2 things to prod apple into adding these features back in:

1. enough time goes by, and enough customers complain that they re-release these features and tout them as "new features" at a much later date. (ie: Labels in OS X)

or

2. Third party developers make workarounds, Apple sees their popularity and responds by adding them back in. This route may be quicker than customer feedback alone.

How is this for a request for apple: MAKE THE NIKE SPORTS KIT WORK WITH IPHONE! I don't care what fanboys have to say in defense of Apple on this one. This is clearly just creating a market for people to need to own 2 different ipod devices. Disgusting market creation by deliberately crippling certain features on their products to create tiers. Just like when they initially had the calendar app on the iPod Touch able to read events, but not create them. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

lilsteviebaumer
Jan 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
I like your thinking and trust the people at iPhone programming and marketing do too! Ron

I think all of these features are desperately neede to up the acceptance of iPhone by businesses and other smart phone owners considering switching.

thegman1234
Jan 24, 2008, 01:08 PM
Actually, several phones have cameras with optical zoom as well at this point. And liquid lenses can offer autofocus and optical zoom while being ultra compact and very energy efficient, so I suspect it's going to become increasingly standard along with higher resolution on phone cams.

Really? That I was unaware of. That's pretty interesting, and pretty cool. However, this camera obviously isn't built like that, so if they added zoom all it would be was digital.

...Games: I'm no game junky, but a couple of games would be nice, Solitaire, Mastermind. What about a racing game where you hold the iPhone like a steering wheel and utilize the accelerometer to steer. That would be cool....

That is by probably by far the coolest suggestion for the iPhone, that I have ever heard. If you're having syncing troubles, use manual sync, I swear by it. It may take longer, but it's the best.

jsetliffe
Jan 25, 2008, 11:19 PM
Wishes for me would be:

1) 3G
2) Copy/Paste
3) Search functionality for addy book
4) Better integration with Exchange, especially the calender part
5) With baseball season right around the corner, support for Slingbox.

thegman1234
Jan 25, 2008, 11:20 PM
You know, I hate to be picky, but I kinda hate when I type "lol", and it puts it in all capitals, lol.

dsl4c
Jan 28, 2008, 07:11 PM
I would love a "cancel" button while sending an SMS, sometimes auto correct makes mistakes and hate looking like an idiot when sending an incorrect message, then having to sending another message to correct the auto correct..

infamous
Jan 30, 2008, 08:42 PM
wish we could press the home button to take a shot... i always move the phone/cam just a tad every time i try to take a pic of myself somewhere.

obeygiant
Jan 30, 2008, 11:14 PM
I just got and iphone, when earlier I'd said I'd wait. But I love it. I miss MMS a little bit and I'm a little annoyed that I can't plug in my own headphones into it.

But over all its a terrific gadget. I can't wait until there is installable apps for it.

imwoblin
Jan 30, 2008, 11:37 PM
I love my iPhone, but...... this new Garmin Nuviphone looks like the shizzle!
Linky:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/30/garmin-gets-official-with-its-nuvifone/

Michael CM1
Feb 5, 2008, 01:02 AM
I've been close to buying one a bazillion times since they dropped to $399, but since it's missing a few things I *need*, I have waited:

3G: People knock EDGE as if it's the worst thing ever. I live outside Atlanta, and once I move farther east, I won't live in the 3G coverage area. Therefore, kudos to Apple for understanding the benefit of coverage area AND battery life. Alas, the 3G option is a must. It will obviously keep spreading, especially if the No. 2 smartphone picks it up (as have a lot of other phones recently).

More flash: I'd like to think I could survive with 16GB, but I barely get by on the 30GB iPod. I like to chuck all my music on the sucker, which takes up 13GB. I can deal with swapping video & photos on and off since I don't use them as much. With the ever-dropping price of flash, give us 32GB! I might even pay $499 for that (plus, does anybody really believe a 16GB of flash costs $100 more than 8GB right now, as the iPod Touch makes us think?).

Expansion slot: I don't care what the format is, but add a memory expansion slot. My first MP3 player had one back in the day of MMC. I know you can buy 8GB SD cards, and they will keep getting larger. Maybe it won't be as fast, but slower extra storage is better than none.

GPS: Would be nice, but not necessary. If Magellan, Garmin, or someone were to come out with an accessory that does this, that may be better than embedding it.

Call quality: I've read in a lot of reviews that the call quality isn't too great. It had better at least be as good as the Motorola RAZR V3 (the one that was da bomb about 4 years ago). I'm replacing a newer RAZR with the iPhone, so I don't want to downgrade in call quality. On the same note, a better vibrating mode than what I have read about.

Voice dial: The RAZR I have has smart voice dial. I don't have to train it like I did the older one. Once again, I don't want to really downgrade any! Luckily, this could be a software update at some point.

Cut and paste: Everybody else says it, so I'm adding it.

Bluetooth stereo: Ditto

Flash: Duh. Add in other popular Web plug-ins.

Ability to read DVD-quality video: Who else hates ripping DVDs with Handbrake in less-than-DVD quality? I know it saves space, but I'd love the option of the full 720x480 rez from a DVD so the picture isn't as bad when I watch it on my computer. (I'll save my "play 1920x1080" request for a year or two in the future!).
If not this, have iTunes convert full-DVD-quality videos for iPod/iPhone like it does with massive photos. One reason I don't buy movies from iTunes is they're not DVD quality.

A normal headphone jack: If the iPod Touch can do it, the iPhone can do it

Blu-ray Disc drive: Sorry, forgot this wasn't the MacBook forum. :)

AJsAWiz
Feb 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
I LOVE my iPhone however it would be nice to be able to install apps (without jailbreaking) on my iPhone. I don't particularly like having to use web based apps.

DaveLG526
Feb 5, 2008, 10:45 AM
Gee I didn't realize the iPhone would not allow me to read PDF files!

maestro55
Feb 5, 2008, 02:36 PM
The iPhone hasn't been out for a year yet, but okay. I bought mine in October and I have loved pretty much everything about it. I hate that mine did have a defective screen and I am not having to get it taken care of, but that happens with anything electronic. 3rd party apps are coming, and I am sure iPhone 2 will have all the added features that we are begging for (GPS, 3G, better camera and the ability to shoot video).

Aries326
Feb 5, 2008, 03:55 PM
Gee I didn't realize the iPhone would not allow me to read PDF files!

You can read pdf files but only through email. Let's say you send yourself some pdf files, you can open them up in the email program. But at the moment, you can't save the pdf files, copy pdf files to your iPhone for storage and then view them with Acrobat reader.

I hope Apple fixes this.

joejoejoe
Feb 6, 2008, 02:04 AM
Dear Apple,

Please let us sync our Notes and To-Do's.

Thank you,

A proud fan and iPhone owner.

andyvp
Feb 7, 2008, 08:37 AM
Dynamic icons would be cool!
There is one..the calendar.
It would be cool if the clock face was moving and on the right time.
The Weather could be correct temp and snow for me today.
One of my photos instead of the sunflower.

Those would be nice touches IMHO
Andyvp

kevd00d
Feb 8, 2008, 03:00 PM
i'd like to enable disk use so i can put some important documents in there

UMHurricanes34
Feb 8, 2008, 05:02 PM
MMS, MMS, MMS, MMS, MMS, MMS, MMS, MMS, MMS.

There is NO reason why such an expensive and cool piece of technology should not have a feature that free phones have.

That and camera and video recording options. I dont get it.

filmbuffy24
Feb 8, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yep. I agree with it all.

I love my phone ( I am on my 3rd one, since I bought mine the first month it came out.)

But I would like the 3G network and when I was in England it sounds like they want that too.

I have what I call the "classic" Iphone since I bought a 4 gig that doesn't exist.

Emerson Biggins
Feb 9, 2008, 10:17 PM
Is there any chance that 1 of the features will be the ability to voice dial??

pullman
Feb 11, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm a longtime mobile phone user (mid-1990s) and also an early adopter in terms of new technology. I am also a Switcher, soon to break free from the shackles of the PC world when I buy my first Mac. I offer this as a perspective from the European end of the world.

In my humble opinion, Apple made a mistake to lock the iPhone in terms of software and of networks it runs on. This monopolisation will in the long run be detrimental to Apple. I read recently on Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/02/securitymatters_0207) that an analyst claims “there are over a million unlocked iPhones, costing Apple between $300 million and $400 million in revenue”. This was described on Bloomberg.com as an “astounding” number. I’m not surprised at all; of course this is going to happen when the availability is restricted. Same thing happened with DVD region coding. Where I live in Europe I have several friends who - using the strong Euro - went to the US and bought iPhones which were subsequently "unlocked" to be used in European mobile nets. Apple has brought this loss upon itself.

The software limitations will hopefully soon be resolved with the SDK. However, imagine how much momentum Apple has lost by virtue of this shortsightedness. I currently use the Nokia E51, a beautiful phone though of course not without flaws. Apart from its hardware features (more of that below), its strongest point is the open Symbian/Series 60 operating system. My phone would simply not be the same if I could not personalise it just like I want it to be.

Here I see a contradiction in Apple's approach. Personality and individuality are heralded by Apple as the most important aspects of both its users and its products. It's that "strike a pose" thing, that Madonna sang of, be yourself etc. You're not the PC (read: Microsoft), you are Unique and special and destined to create beautiful things with iMovie etc. But Apple will not let us be such when it comes to the iPhone. And "us" should not only be read to mean "us overseas" but also "us in the US". Apple is actively restricting - using the same tactics that were once applied behind the Iron Curtain (forgive the polemics) - individual freedom. And what is perhaps the most surprising is that most iPhone and Apple users are ok with this. Sure there has been some rebellion but the massive outcry seems not to have happened. That it happens in the Land of the Free is equally surprising.

Those two limitations are serious for the users. But more importantly, they are serious in that they risk impeding Apple's market dominance on the worldwide market for smartphones. And this is most important. As other phone manufacturers catch up in terms of ingenuity (read: copy Apple's ideas like Sony has just done with the Xperia), Apple will wish that it had moved faster. And that would require providing a platform which its huge and fiercly loyal user base could have improved even further. Just because we still haven’t found that extraterrestrial life the SETI project is looking for doesn’t mean we’re not further ahead today as a result of all the connected computers using the SETI @home screensaver than we would have been without them. Quite likely we are. It’s hive thinking, networking. And best of all, these benefits would to a large extent have been of no cost at all to Apple.

It’s popular to talk of feature wish lists for future developments of popular products. Clearly the biggest drawback of the iPhone is lack of 3G with the HSDPA (3,5G) variety. EDGE is so 20th century. As I mentioned I use the Nokia E51 which has this feature and it is a true blessing. Downloads are fast. To watch, download and save a 5-minute YouTube clips using the freeware emTube takes a minute or so. Internet access, especially in cities in Europe without solid coverage of wifi hotspots (which are most cities, actually, as such coverage tends to exist mainly in the very large cities), is universally available. Such access will change the behaviour of users and make the internet truly portable. Of course, this does not mean that the iPhone should not have wifi. It must have wifi, and it should also be open such that software like Fring will work and allow users to ring for free from all over the world. When I go to Japan on Friday I plan to use Fring to call my girlfriend in Europe over the Skype network. Roaming 3G/3,5G from Japan would just not make sense in view of the fossilised approach to international calling taken by mobile operators.

The iPhone excels at music and video and that need not be much improved, except to enable playing of also other multimedia filetypes, say WMA (the horror, the horror!), DivX etc. Then again this can be addressed by the developer community once the platform is open. What does need to be addressed are the business functions. Apple seems to be oblivious of the trend which has taken place the last several years in terms of merging business and pleasure in handsets. In 2004 I bought the Nokia 6230. It had an MMC card of 512MB which I used as music player. It worked like a charm, though the interface of the player itself was not ideal. At this time, Sony Ericsson was only beginning to contemplate the “Walkman” phones and the portability of music in a handset. But the 6230, which was a business phone, did it well to the envy of my friends. The E51 is a superb business phone with unlimited calendar, contact and call management features. The iPhone needs this. Plus it needs the copy and paste function incorporated in the Series 60 Nokia phones. Perhaps Apple could include this by extending the functionality of the multi-touch interface. That would be cool and innovative. A PDF reader is of course a must, as is Quick Office for Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. And if must be possible to edit them, a function which the E51 sadly lacks.

Battery life is fundamental to successful mobile platforms as cable requirements should be kept at a minimum. The battery much sustain extended and varied use of the phone’s functions. The E51 is ok but not good and I typically have to charge it every or every other day. The iPhone should incorporate a battery (which is easily replaceable of course, just as other mobile phones’ batteries are) which supports at least 3-5 days. This may seem like wishful thinking (it is) or as something which current technology doesn’t allow. But I beg to differ. The iPhone’s size comes in handy here (and in the last comment I will make, see below). In view of the amount of technology that Nokia has managed to cram into the E51, which is almost two centimetres less wide than the iPhone, it should be possible to fit a competent battery in the iPhone.

Lastly, screen size. Here Apple has done everything right with the iPhone, though it appears not to have noticed it. The future is, as Microsoft recently put it, “surfaces”. Keyboards and buttons are outdated, at least on mobile devices. Of course, it doesn’t make sense to let buttons and screen compete for space within a limited surface. This is the true innovation of the iPhone and it is, as the HTC Touch shows, being copied by other manufacturers. Apple has a magnificent lead here and should use it fully. With a full screen, in the proper meaning of the word, the iPhone will allow full web browsing (just as on a desktop), great video/image watching capabilities, and superb use of the business functions.

Apple has created a good platform with the iPhone – in fact, great in several respects. But it seems Apple is not clear on where to take it. Let’s hope that Apple realises this soon before the iPhone becomes just another phone out there with some cool functions and a snazzy interface, rather than the market dominator it appears destined to become.

biecacka
Feb 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
i would like to be able to plug my iphone into my laptop and use it as a connection to the internet. In the case that i might be somewhere with no WI-FI it would be nice to use the phone to connect to the web.

taibien86
Feb 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
I Want To Be Able To Search Contacts And Mail!!!

osxmiggsosx
Feb 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
:rolleyes:

I'd like a faster way to shut down/shut off iPhone before i got to sleep at night i shut it off cause, of that "whole battery scare" it saves more i think cause i charge my phone way less.

:apple:
<(0.0)> ALL MOBILE
Black MacBook
iPhone 8gb *speak case

happydude
Feb 13, 2008, 12:07 PM
hey, i'm just dropping by to say "hey" and that i'm getting my iphone tomorrow. couldn't be happier. just a little excited note amidst all the wishing. and what is better is that my wife will wait to get one until iphone 2 comes out. then i get that and she gets mine. seriously, best wife out there. so . . . until tomorrow!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

iMouseHD
Feb 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
Congrats and enjoy. I am under the same trade in plan with my wife :)

batlag
Feb 14, 2008, 09:58 AM
Ok, how about including an option to record video and then send/receive them as MMS messages, or store them on your computer or email them?? It seems like the most advanced phone in the world could have included some of these basic options that have been around since 1998!

macnicol
Feb 14, 2008, 05:06 PM
I second the REAL GPS detachable BT option. I am waiting for the BT HW GPS option before putting out $500 for just a phone/MP3 player. For the iPhone to be competitive with either the new 3rd Qtr Garmin Nuviphone or Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, it will have to have full WORLDWIDE downloadable maps with detail and POIs at least equivalent to the Microsoft Streets & Trip/Autoroute programs. I have these maps now on my iPaq PDA and with a BT GPS receiver it is better than almost all of the current expensive dumbed-down GPS hand helds with their cartoonish map displays. Also it should have full GPS details display configurability including continuously displayed elevation. For an example of the display configurability look at the User Manual for the Garmin StreetPilot 2620 series. I would expect that Apple could do at least as well as my old iPaq with an updated HW iPhone with detachable BT GPS.

Love to come to Aus at a decent price.

Wants: Software
C&P

Pages/Numbers/Keynote integration

iDisk on my iPhone/touch

Voice calling - for my BT headset (see below)

Offline webpages - so I can download a bunch either via the mac or wifi and it will cache the lot and allow me to look at them when I am "offline"

Delicious Monsters Library on my touch/iphone with synching to my home machine

Copy of all my home macs itunes library searchable by artist/album/year of release so I can have it handy when I go shopping - syncs automatically

Mactracker on my touch/iphone that syncs with my home mac

A shopping webclips/camera program for bigger ticket items and geek toys that works a little like DM Library so I can keep info and pics of items I am shopping around for and ability to add new images right from my iphone camera taken at stores when I see something I want to do some research on or price elsewhere. Keeps item name, model number, colour, quantity available, shop name (with suburb for chains), address, website, google map address, sales person(s) name, rrp, discounted rrp, date of quote, date sale/quote ends, freehand notes, warranty, delivery cost, images of items/shops/even sales people. Allows several items to be made an item of interest so they can be seen together quickly or even on one page, and auto tabulates and highlights best price, highlights deadline dates and outs them in iCal with 2 day or so warning. Allows me to look at suburbs and see what shops I have quotes from there so if I unexpectedly end up somewhere I can see if there is anything I wanted to follow up on. Allows me to indicate I have purchased and the price(s) and extras, then archives so that its available to me if I need that info later - that is all info in case I want to tell others as well as the summary of what I ended up getting. Export function. Possible web integration so that I can contribute to a "Digg" like shopping experience for latest bargains etc maintained for free by whomever writes this badboy.

Wants: Hardware
3G

GPS BT shuffle like clip on so I dont need my phone out all the time and can have a second one mounted in the car. Easy ability to download maps for area not over the air so I can always have the city maps handy etc.

Nice audio recorder with stereo mike and audio input

Turn my iPhone into a 1.3+ MP video camera with 30fps

Stereo BT headphones with controls

Nice cradle that allows touch/phone to slip into it with audio/data connections in portrait mode, and then turns to landscape mode easily so I can watch stuff. Same cradle might be car mountable for GPS. Stand should be nice and stable because I am going to be touching it, not too plasticy or bizzy. Maybe even use the space behind it to hold accessories like the cover/case, earphones etc whilst it is docked. Ability to use whilst ihone/touch still in a slim case would be excellent.

obeygiant
Feb 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
MMS is something that apple can add via a software update isn't it?

shazammy
Feb 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
Here's my list of iPhone no-brainers, or the things that it should have, but I can't believe doesn't.

1. Cut and paste. Duh.
2. Ability to delete multiple emails at once.
3. Search. Duh.
4. The ability to set ANY SONG ON MY IPHONE AS AN ALARM.
5. Chat/IM
6. Picture messaging.
7. Video.
8. Dedicated Contacts app.
9. Folders.
10. Voice memos.

Fiumetevere
Feb 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Synch to multiple computers for address book
Make your own address book template
Non-scratch case
Address book search
Cut and paste
GPS worldwide (or at least US and Europe)
Ability to switch out for European prepaid SIM when in Europe (yeah, I'm holding my breath for that one; I'd be happy to keep paying AT&T)

Kwill
Feb 20, 2008, 02:27 PM
Here's my list of iPhone no-brainers, or the things that it should have, but I can't believe doesn't.

1. Cut and paste. Duh.
2. Ability to delete multiple emails at once.
3. Search. Duh.
4. The ability to set ANY SONG ON MY IPHONE AS AN ALARM.
5. Chat/IM
9. Folders.

A semi Spotlight search would be useful but also consume valuable space for indexing.

Copy and paste are coming.

Safari requires a Snapback option like the desktop version.

Calendar entries need category menu option.

Bluetooth needs easier toggle.

Ability to store and view PDF and other doc stored on the iphone is desired.

Landscape orientation for email would be helpful.

Macrumors needs iPhone friendly version of site like Macnn.

happydude
Feb 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
i agree with so many people with their lists, but just to add my 2 cents, after a week of exuberant iphone ownership, the needs/wants i would like to see in the near future are:

1. ichat
2. dedicated contacts app
3. gps
4. exchange (yeah, i know . . . )
5. email landscape view
6. copy and paste
7. document storage (disc mode) with ability to edit and save
8. search function
9. progress bar for songs/podcasts like movies do (especially with a 2 hour podcast, it would be nice to rewind easily vs. holding the back button for an estimated amount of time)
10. picture messaging
11. video capture (and messaging)
12. voice dialing
13. set song as alarm
14. BT internet to computer from iphone

that's a good wish list. i am absolutely smitten with the iphone the way it is, but obviously, any device can always be updated/improved. so, for what is worth, this is my list.

aceducy
Feb 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
MMS is something that apple can add via a software update isn't it?

Yes, but Apple doesn't do updates. Unless you prioritize downloadable ringtones

changb
Feb 23, 2008, 04:05 PM

And China

changb
Feb 23, 2008, 04:12 PM
like a car, the second hand value of a Honda is better than a most other cars. Check out the Iphone with others.

Changb

catfish743
Feb 24, 2008, 01:25 AM
My Wishlist:

1) Delete Multiple Emails
2) Copy and Paste
3) Multimedia Messaging
4) Games

I honestly can't think of anything else.

Flyer0815
Feb 24, 2008, 01:29 AM
My Wishlist:

1) Delete Multiple Emails
2) Copy and Paste
3) Multimedia Messaging
4) Games

I honestly can't think of anything else.

Lack of MMS is my biggest gripe. The AT&T website used to retrieve your MMS messages is buggy and slow at best. No excuse for lack of this feature from a 400-500 dollar phone.

catfish743
Feb 24, 2008, 02:03 AM
Lack of MMS is my biggest gripe. The AT&T website used to retrieve your MMS messages is buggy and slow at best. No excuse for lack of this feature from a 400-500 dollar phone.

I personally wouldn't use it much, but I know I would like to receive MMS messages from others. Of course, I come from a ghetto nokia phone to the iphone, so to me visual voicemail is standard :D

sal
Feb 24, 2008, 02:35 AM
The interface for adding songs is different, since you have to go to the On-the-Go playlist and hit the plus button to add songs, but that seems faster to me than tap and hold. I assume your reasoning is to be able to add songs while they're playing or you're browsing another playlist, in addition to the current method?
adding songs to the "on the go" playlist as you are listening to them is very useful.

While on the subject, why doesn't the "on the go" playlist appear on itunes? I know when I created these on the go playlists in previous ipods, they would appear in itunes.

netdog
Feb 24, 2008, 02:44 AM
Wish-list

robram
Feb 25, 2008, 09:31 AM
I really want to select and delete multiple emails at one time. I spend so much time doing the delets that I'm considering turning email off on my phone… and that's one of the big reasons I got it!

lilskaterpunk
Feb 25, 2008, 03:41 PM
Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) I would like to be able to use my Motorola s9 bluetooth stereo headset:D or is there a way without purchasing the adapter peice.....?

BOSS10L
Feb 25, 2008, 06:03 PM
Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) I would like to be able to use my Motorola s9 bluetooth stereo headset:D or is there a way without purchasing the adapter peice.....?

That's my biggest want.

performer
Feb 25, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have a question about a new iPhone 2G.
In the end of 2008 other countrys get the phone for example Austria or Italy
Is it possible that a new generation of iPhones become 32GB flash memory?!
Sorry for my bad english

mikeyg00
Feb 26, 2008, 09:23 AM
Seems like many of the posts indicate they'd like the phone to be more of a PDA .... the lack of true 'across the board' operating system seems to be the general theme here.

Right now, it seems to be a specialty function item, and is moving towards a true PDA.

SharkySharky
Feb 26, 2008, 11:25 AM
To be completely honest, I want some of these features like MMS and others already mentioned but the BIGGEST thing for me is this:

In 1.1.3 they change the Pop-up menu dialog for SMS to say "Done" and "Reply" or whatever it is. That is not my gripe. My gripe comes in the fact that sometimes I receive a text, but I am doing something else at the time (hence the beauty of texting) and so I would like to press the "Ignore" or "Done" key to hide the pop-up and continue what I am doing. The problem arises when I return to the homescreen and the message has been marked as "Read" even though I didn't and couldn't read the entire text in the little pop-up. Sometimes I will forget that I received a text at all and will fail to reply to someone.

This to me is more important than sending MMS. I mean just tell whoever it is that wants to send you a picture to send it to your email and check your email on your iPhone and then you have their cell phone's email address and you can send them pictures all you want.

Copy-Paste is pretty much a must because of MobileSafari. Many times I would like to copy a URL or a word to search for and open a new "tab" or "window."

I think one cool feature would be the ability to open a link in a new tab by double-tapping in MobileSafari. If not double tapping then some other way besides bookmarklets would be nice.

Wintrmte
Feb 26, 2008, 01:44 PM

+1 -- I couldn't agree more with this statement. No MMS has been a huge gripe of mine.

portesi
Mar 2, 2008, 10:16 AM
This is the best phone ever.

wwilson
Mar 2, 2008, 11:14 AM
I have read so many good things about the iPhone...everyone seems to like it good enough...however...my wish would be getting an iPhone through Verizon! Will Apple ever offer the phone to more than one carrier? AT&T's coverage is horrendous where I live (and I've tried them all). With Verizon I always get a great signal and would not leave them...even if it means not having the iPhone. Has anyone heard anything?

Vanilla
Mar 2, 2008, 11:25 AM
Here are my 12 key wants that I am holding out for, hopefully to appear in 2nd revision iPhone, which rumours have it will arrive mid-year (well, one can hope):

1. Copy/Paste
2. 3G
3. GPS
4. Flash support
5. PDF Reader
6. Camera Autofocus
7. Camera Flash
8. Record Video
9. Higher Resolution Camera
10. MMS Support
11. 32GB storage
12. Remove recessed headphone connector

Vanilla

jessez
Mar 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
Disk Mode... really its the only thing preventing me from making the leap

TravisReynolds
Mar 3, 2008, 08:48 PM
I totally agree with the headphone jack. It makes me so mad especially because i lose my headphones

dddonley
Mar 5, 2008, 07:58 AM
I have been reading these blogs pretty regularly for the past couple months since obtaining my iPhone. The one thing that I would want that I haven't read anyone else write about would be a missed call/text reminder. There are many times when I am not near my phone when I have a text, or simply don't hear it. I end up going a considerable length of time before I check my phone and find out I have a text. Anyone else feel the same?

itsnotme
Apr 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
How do we feel about the caller ID spoofing that is specifically for the iphone? I've tried it myself but I'm wondering if anyone has any likes or dislikes about it? I like that you don't have to call a 1-800# and it's simple.

The best part is when you change your voice and sound like a man. It cracks me up when people are like, who is this again?? :D

Is there another iphone ID spoofing out there? I like to compare. The one I use is
http://www.pntrac.com/t/QUlBQUdCSUVCRkJJSEVD?sid=fakephonenumber

sorry if I posted in the wrong area, I'm new to this forum

Jenny

itsnotme
Apr 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have read so many good things about the iPhone...everyone seems to like it good enough...however...my wish would be getting an iPhone through Verizon! Will Apple ever offer the phone to more than one carrier? AT&T's coverage is horrendous where I live (and I've tried them all). With Verizon I always get a great signal and would not leave them...even if it means not having the iPhone. Has anyone heard anything?

They have a 5 year contract, you can read that anywhere

vabigpoppa
Apr 26, 2008, 10:40 PM
mms and haptic feedback!!

serenaray
Apr 29, 2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/419503
Finally... and now we're going to be paying up the wazzoo for data!

ffolliottvere
May 1, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yes I want ad2p bluetooth so I can listen to music on my headphones through my jabra 3020s and then answer the phone. I want to leave my phone on my belt

I also want copy and paste as in another blog

I don't suppose many will read this as I will be on page 5 or 10

LizKat
May 1, 2008, 03:17 PM
How do we feel about the caller ID spoofing that is specifically for the iphone? <snip>

Why would anyone think that trying to spoof any sort of identifer in this day and age --all things and agencies considered-- would be a good idea?

queshy
May 1, 2008, 07:38 PM
Two words...

Copy-Paste

That's only one word! But seriously, copy paste is a huge function that is so simple to do. Even my RAZR has copy paste.

itsnotme
May 2, 2008, 09:49 AM
Why would anyone think that trying to spoof any sort of identifer in this day and age --all things and agencies considered-- would be a good idea?

For pure fun. I have my own personal reasons for spoofing my number :p

But for the most part, it's the only way I can call people and truly be anonymous.

http://www.pjtra.com/t/QUlBQUc_SUVCRkJJSEVD

Let's face, sometimes it's just something you need. :apple:

hammernaji
May 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
Here's what I would like to see in no particular order.

On current hardware:
tap and hold right click
make notes text editor compatible with txt and rtf
remove double tap zoom in/out
text highlight - double tap selects word, triple tap selects section
cut/copy/paste
press and hold backspace clears field
landscape mode for every app - esp text and email
consistent keyboard between apps
option to turn off zoom effect on keyboard
vibrate feedback option on keyboard
tasks sync
documents sync
.mac integration
exchange integration
entourage and third party mail/contact/calendar/task compatibility
mount to desktop like ipod - drag and drop to folders
ipod playlist performance in itunes
adobe flash support in browser
java support
wifi and/or bluetooth tether and sync
custom sounds for new voicemail, etc
search address book
numeric speed dial
voice recognition/voice dialing - mic and bluetooth
instant messenger services
custom check for new email timeframe on iphone
video camera app
audio recorder app
keychain
send mms (picture/video messaging)
delete single sms (text messaging)
search entire phone
send email to entire contact group
create contact groups on phone
bcc in mail app
multiple recipient text messages

Next hardware revision:
3g
gps
no recessed headphone jack
sd card slot for memory expansion
easy battery replacement
lose the chrome bezel and make the back one color

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I would also like to add:

1. autofocus and flash to the camera

2.GPS, with built in maps so you can access the GPS even if you don't have network connection.

And as for SD card slot, I don't know why but Apple doesn't put it in any of their computers...which is really surprising. But that would be great even with 16GB of storage its nice to be able to swap out different cards with different files on them.

hammernaji
May 2, 2008, 12:49 PM
Here is my greedy wishlist (hey, that's why it's called a WISH-list)

But at least the basic stuff should be granted...

Changes to be made:

Basic stuff all phones have:

1. MMS capability
2. Open ring tones (any mp3 file can be used as ring tone or SMS/Voicemail indicator)
3. SD or microSD slot
4. deleting single emails and sms
5. copy/cut and paste
6. Removable battery & improved battery life
7. voice recorder
8. For the Camera: LED flash, auto focus, image stabilization, & Video Capability (30 fps)
9. FM radio

More Advanced features:

10. Integrated Flash and Java support
11. PDF Reader
12. Playlist syncing
13. To-do list syncing
14. 32 GB of storage
15. camera upgrade to 5 MP
16. 2 MP front cam for video chat with auto focus and image stabilization
17. Stereo Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR and NFC
18. Sharing of files/ringtones/contacts through Bluetooth
19. Send contacts via SMS
20. GPS with integrated maps and software
21. Wireless N capability
22. AMOLED screens with Higher resolution
23. 3rd party apps allowed to run in the background

Form Factor:
24. 25 mm shorter in size while keeping same screen size
25. 2.5 mm thinner

for $500 with a 2 year contract we should be able to get most of these features added on.

excrewman
May 2, 2008, 03:39 PM
As well as the comprehensive lists above there is one simple thing which has bugged me from day one and must be extremely simple to fix... the ability to forward an sms

It so so frustrating to receive a message and have to re-write the whole thing in order to send the message to someone else!!

rumbletum
May 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
As well as the comprehensive lists above there is one simple thing which has bugged me from day one and must be extremely simple to fix... the ability to forward an sms

It so so frustrating to receive a message and have to re-write the whole thing in order to send the message to someone else!!

Thats what I miss about my BB, could forward texts as emails or texts & vice versa, was very useful at times

hammernaji
May 3, 2008, 12:58 AM

Yeah I agree with that...that would also be fixed with copy&paste. So either one of those features would be nice.

rhett7660
May 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
I would like to see maybe a battery that we can change out ourselves?

overanalyzer
May 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
I would like to see maybe a battery that we can change out ourselves?

It would be nice, but it seems unlikely, since none of the iPods has a self-service battery. In fact, the Mac Pro is really the only product Apple makes with any notable level of user-serviceable or upgradeable parts (at least as intended by Apple), so it doesn't seem to be a high priority in their designs.