Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
http://kotaku.com/339226/man-uses-live-to-stalk-threatens-rape

A New York man was arrested Friday after allegedly stalking and threatening to rape two Spokane girls he met while playing a Halo game on Xbox Live, KHQ reports.

Joshua R. Stetar was arrested Friday in Spokane, Washington after the man drove 40 hours straight to the city and started texting and driving by the house of the 15-year-old girl and her sister, police said.

Police say Stetar met the girl in 2006 in "Halo" using Live and that he had sent packages and flowers to the parent's home, but they were always returned. He also allegedly text messaged the girl hundreds of times and finally drove to the town.

Around 9:30 p.m. Friday night the suspect sent a text message to the victim saying he was driving by her house at that moment. In the message he even described his vehicle, a Gray Oldsmobile. The girl's parents were outside the home and in fact saw the car driving past.

At 9:36 p.m. the victim received another text message from the suspect saying, "Tell the cops that I'm gonna rape you and your sister."

The suspect had also mentioned that he was staying at a Days Inn in Spokane.

Police ended up picking up the suspect at a nearby Econolodge.

I work downtown in Spokane and live up North...know where some of these hotels are.

Stupid rapist for telling her in advance, and stupid girl for giving out her address over XBox Live.

Sigh.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
This wouldn't have happened if they'd all been playing COD 4. No one talks in that game...

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I saw my first ever crack-head in Spokane.

True story.

That stuff smells horrible. Why would anyone even get near someone smoking it - let alone smoke it. ???

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Actually Spokane's big drug is meth. All over the place. A lot of kids grow up around there without any parental supervision so having kids getting stalked online isn't all that difficult to believe.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A little OT but why isn't meth big in the UK? I see pills everywhere and LSD (at least in Manchester) but nothing like meth. At first I thought it was meth as in the cleaning alcohol.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Methanol isn't just a cleaning product. It is used for lots of things (don't drink it).

Methamphetamine is a drug that you can read up on at wikipedia or some other place, I guess.

Anyway, this happened in the Logan neighborhood, right?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I saw my first ever crack-head in Spokane.

True story.

That stuff smells horrible. Why would anyone even get near someone smoking it - let alone smoke it. ???

Spokane has a severe hobo problem. They're everywhere downtown. Caught one with some white powder in a bathroom once. The extremities of Spokane are actually pretty nice (like I said, I live in the more northern part) but the further downtown you get the more hobos and juvenile delinquents you find.

Though our biggest problem is meth.

My father was actually head of DEA down here for a while before retiring; they transferred him down from California.

I'm surprised by the amount of people here who've been to/know of Spokane, however :)

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I lived in Kent for a year – I'm pretty familiar with Spokane myself. :)

Anyhow, that's just... sick. And disgusting. And it makes me want to throw up.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Spokane has a severe hobo problem. They're everywhere downtown. Caught one with some white powder in a bathroom once.

Was it one of them noose traps that gets them by the leg, or was the powder under a box which you then dropped on the hobo? :D

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Well I was in Coeur D' Alene, ID at the time, but Spokane was a rocks-throw away. (so I went there quite a bit)

In spite of some of the "classy" people there - the area was beautiful. At least, I thought it was.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
First things first, a girl playing Halo? Since the day Halo 2 came out till now, I have played with 2 girls.

Second, Spokane is a poor mans Seattle. Spokane to me has no personality, besides the meth heads. I find the more and more I go up there, the more I realize there is little to do. Clinkerdaggers though is great.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I pity girls who play online games with voice chat. Every time I see girls online, some jerk comes around and starts obsessing over them. There's such a ridiculous amount of sexism online. Most of them are either 12 years old or 40, either one living with their mother ;)

I even see it with people who play female characters with female names on games without voice chat- for all they know, it could be a man playing on the other end, too!

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I used to live in Spokane and this doesn't surprise me. The place is just barely better than Boise.

Pssh.

Boise is SO much better than Spokane. I was up in Spokane back in November for training. Stayed at the Lusso downtown. One of the nights I decided I would take a late November stroll around downtown and was overwhelmed with stench and hobos. I stayed in and ordered take-out the other five days.

Boise doesn't have nearly the meth or homeless problem Spokane does. Although the meth problem is growing, but that seems to be a Pacific Northwest thing from what I've read. Pretty heavy use in Seattle and Portland as well. :(

But back on topic. That is absolutely ridiculous that this guy would come all the way from New York to stalk these girls. Scary stuff. Imagine if the parents were gone at the time or something. Yikes.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
He almost did one of my life plans too! Drive across the US, damn.

A little off topic but my Caroline is a bit annoyed that there are no female characters in TF2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.