Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I have been sifting through all the threads posted and don't seem to find a solution to the problem I have.

I have a Sony HDR-SR1 Handycam and cant seem to get my mac to register the AVCHD movie clips I have made. In a slight stroke of genius i reduced the camera definition from HD to SD. When recording in SD I am able to import the movies but there seems to be a problem with the HD.

Anyone have some ideas for me?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Are you using an Intel Mac with iMovie'08 and OS X 10.5?

If not, you might never get it to work. You might not need the 10.5 upgrade, but you'll definately need iMovie'08 and an Intel Mac to work with AVCHD.

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I have had a look at the link you sent me, how do I see the AVCHD movies, do I have to open my iMovie to actually see the movies. How do I go about seeing /viewing the movies I have made.

Thanks for all your help so far...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have had a look at the link you sent me, how do I see the AVCHD movies, do I have to open my iMovie to actually see the movies. How do I go about seeing /viewing the movies I have made.

Thanks for all your help so far...

I've had a look at the tutorials for iMovie'08 (at Apple's site). Looks like your camcorder should just show up on the desktop and you can drag/drop your files where ever you like. Quicktime Player may be able to play these files.

If that doesn't work, you'll likely have to use iMoive to import the files.

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I think I have found the problem, but dont know the fix. When I try to import the movies they have a file extension of .MTS and not the extension for MPEG-4. Do you know the fix for this prob.....

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I think I have found the problem, but dont know the fix. When I try to import the movies they have a file extension of .MTS and not the extension for MPEG-4. Do you know the fix for this prob.....

Just to add, I have connected the Handycam to my PS3 and can watch the movies there, so there is no problem with the movies. It seems to be the transfer to iMovie08

Vapor

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
WHen you say clips you have made please explain. If it is raw avchd video it must be converted to the AIC codec. If it is to be recognized by Imovie or FCE 4. I assume you are connecting it to the mack by usb and then using the import from camera command. It should bring up the camera contents and ask you to select the clips you want imported/converted. Is this what you are doing?

gavinrsa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Okay, I have managed to get clips off my camera now, thanks guys.

The next problem I have is moving the clips from my PS3 onto my mac/iMovie to view and edit them, any suggestions......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.