PDA

View Full Version : Apple Sub Notebook Hints: External Optical Drive, MultiTouch Trackpad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Dec 31, 2007, 11:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacRumors has heard reliable confirmation about some features in upcoming Apple notebook releases due at Macworld San Francisco 2008.

A Mac sub-notebook is indeed expected to be coming at the Macworld and, as rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/10/apple-ultra-portable-macbook-rumor-roundup/), will not come with an internal optical drive. This omission is presumably due to Apple's ongoing efforts to reduce the size of their laptops. Instead, Apple is said to be offering an external optical drive with the sub-notebook. This detachable external drive would allow customers to read/write from CDs or DVDs as usual, but would allow users to leave this extra bulk at home when on the road.

Apple is also said to be introducing more than one notebook revision at Macworld. What combination of Sub-Notebook, MacBook or MacBook Pro remains unknown, but we've heard that at least one of these new notebooks will incorporate a multi-touch trackpad. The possibility of a multi-touch trackpad has been suggested by both rumors and published patent applications but has not previously been explicitly confirmed.

Macworld Expo kicks off on January 15th, 2008 with Steve Jobs' keynote address.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/)

PruneTracy
Dec 31, 2007, 11:52 PM
hm. sounds like an interesting set up that will have a lot of people whining.

devilot
Dec 31, 2007, 11:54 PM
hm. sounds like an interesting set up that will have a lot of people whining.And others rejoicing. ;)

As much as I don't need an ultra-portable, it'd be horrifically tempting.

kevindosi
Dec 31, 2007, 11:55 PM

i'll be the first whiner. sounds impractical to me. buuuut i won't be buying one, anyway.

MarlboroLite
Dec 31, 2007, 11:56 PM
what about the processor of this thing? is it gonna be underpowered?

mrkramer
hm. Maybe it will be time to replace my 12" powerbook. No word on what the price will be yet though?

Adokimus
Um, made a pit stop while the gf is changing to go out, and the dork (me) checks macrumors... Happy New Year! Hope 2008 is the year of the Apple Subnotebook, but Happy New Year is more important! Back to the celebrations...

flopticalcube
Dec 31, 2007, 11:59 PM
That's the way to do it. External optical drive.

notjustjay
Jan 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
As always I take this with a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude, but if true, my 12" PB is about ready to be retired.

New laptop, or plasma TV? Decisions, decisions.

rockthecasbah
Jan 1, 2008, 12:04 AM
If it is powerful, has sufficient storage capacity, good battery life (PLEASE), and is physically something I would be able to use size wise for college I will be picking one up. My disc drive on my current computer is only used when I rip CDs these days, so I welcome the external optical drive. Sounds great to me, as long as you don't have to pay a boat load of money extra for it (which I unfortunately could see Apple doing... :() MacWorld Expo '08 cannot come soon enough!

tkidBOSTON
Jan 1, 2008, 12:07 AM
I would love to replace my 12" pb. If this thing isnt super expensive sounds like something I'd be interested in.

KindredMAC
Jan 1, 2008, 12:10 AM
An external Optical Drive makes more sense in today's world of "multi-computered" lifestyles.

In my house, I have the last gen PM G5 as my "headquarters" and then a MacBook and an old G3 900mhz iBook. Do you know how many times I have used the slot drive in that MacBook in the last year? Twice. Once to check out what some unmarked DVDs/CDs were and then just 2 days ago to upgrade it to Leopard.

If ditching the Optical Drive could make my laptop smaller and lighter and possibly make more room for heat sinks then I am all for it.

Oh, and on a completely different tangent.... I would like to see the next update to Leopard incorporate my iPhone's text correction feature while typing. I miss it after I have been typing on my iPhone all day and come home and try to type a simple email on my PMG5.

xparaparafreakx
Jan 1, 2008, 12:14 AM
Guess that means I will be ordering three Macs instead of two now.

Come on sub notebook. I need a new laptop for personal use, no more using company MBP. :D

Wayfarer
Jan 1, 2008, 12:16 AM
I just bought a brand new 2.2ghz SR Macbook last week. Just waiting for it to deliver right now.

Is it likely Apple would refresh the regular Macbook line so soon? :confused:

Otherwise I'd be feeling severe buyers remorse, having last year's Macbook model. :(

airjuggernaut
Jan 1, 2008, 12:16 AM
Damn it, I just got a Macbook 4 days ago -_-

I thought it would be a MBP only update :(

luminosity
Jan 1, 2008, 12:21 AM
Could someone explain for us lesser folk just what a multi-touch trackpad would likely involve?

Novaoblivion
Jan 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
And others rejoicing. ;)

Same here I have a MBP and love it but a small light laptop would be really tempting!

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 12:30 AM
Apple is said to be including an external optical drive

This is GREAT news! Thin is in.

KurtangleTN
Jan 1, 2008, 12:31 AM
An external Optical Drive makes more sense in today's world of "multi-computered" lifestyles.

In my house, I have the last gen PM G5 as my "headquarters" and then a MacBook and an old G3 900mhz iBook. Do you know how many times I have used the slot drive in that MacBook in the last year? Twice. Once to check out what some unmarked DVDs/CDs were and then just 2 days ago to upgrade it to Leopard.

If ditching the Optical Drive could make my laptop smaller and lighter and possibly make more room for heat sinks then I am all for it.

Oh, and on a completely different tangent.... I would like to see the next update to Leopard incorporate my iPhone's text correction feature while typing. I miss it after I have been typing on my iPhone all day and come home and try to type a simple email on my PMG5.

Agreed on all counts. Can't really remember the last time I used my laptops optical drive, probably under 5-10 times a year. Mostly to transfer files because transferring on the network is slow.

I'd love a nice, small notebook. Not sure I'd buy it right off the bat, little low on cash but I'd be interested in it if the price is less then the current MBs.

nslyax
Jan 1, 2008, 12:31 AM
My question is on the processor it will have as well. I use the optical drive in my iBook about once a month to burn a backup, and whenever I need to install software (once a year, maybe?) so having an external drive wouldn't be a big deal. If it is limited to a 1.8 or 2.0 GHz processor would be the real deal breaker.

Multitouch trackpad could be cool. Resizing images in Preview by pinching, and scrolling through pages in Safari or pics in iPhoto by just "throwing" them could be cool. Like two finger scrolling on steroids.

If I don't like what's new, I can just get a MacBook instead. Either way, I am ordering something on the 15th.

BWhaler
Jan 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
And others rejoicing. ;)

I am in the same boat.

I travel the world with my 17". Having that screen for work or presentations is great.

But ow and then, portability is nice.

Time will tell...

Iroganai
Jan 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
I want to know how Apple will connect the external drive to the main machine.
You need to plug a firewire or USB2 cable ?
It's too un-:apple: and too 1990-ish. They must have a nicer way.

Stella
Jan 1, 2008, 12:39 AM
I hope Apple update the Macbook PRo with the new processor and track pad. Apple also better ship better quality displays too ( re: yellow screens ).

I'd be horrified if Mac Pro's went untouched.

It would be great if the MBP screen could be detached and thus turn itself into a mobile device.... however, you'd need ( lots of ) solid state ram or a hard disc somewhere for storage.

How many people would miss an integrated DVD drive inside a laptop these days? What percentage of people use their DVD drive on a regular basis ( measured in days )? Personally, I don't see an external CD player as a big issue.

arn
Jan 1, 2008, 12:50 AM

Chances of a MB update are still very slim. MBP and Subnotebook seems likely.

arn

wakka092
Jan 1, 2008, 12:53 AM
A Bluetooth optical drive with a on/off switch and a Li-ion poly battery would be amazing.

Chadder
Jan 1, 2008, 12:57 AM
I think that the the sub-notebook (Macbook Mini) Should have an open bay on the bottom so that different accessories can be inserted in and taken out when needed, such as:

An optical drive can be put in when needed

Another hard drive for maybe TimeMachine

A second battery for the long trips

or anything else a person wants.

beg_ne
4 minutes until the new year and here I am checking out Apple rumors. ^_^ I'm such a geek. I hope these rumors do come true I was looking forward to upgrading my 1st gen MacBook the last go around in October(November?) but so little was changed I couldn't justify a purchase, and put off a purchase for my SO also. Hopefully after MacWorld i can get her a laptop and maybe me a new one too. Although I was thinking about waiting until mid next year when something is running the Nehalem stuff from Intel.

Happy New Years everyone!

BornAgainMac
People won't whine about the external drive. People will whine because it will just be a combo drive and it will be 2008.

gcmexico
Jan 1, 2008, 12:58 AM
I just broke my old dell laptop...so I want to finally get my macbook, but I know in 2 weeks Apple is coming out with something big...I CAN'T WAIT!!! I can't wait for the new laptop!

Christian H
Jan 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
Notice how quietly the Macbooks got updated...Apple didn't even grant the notable santa rosa chipset change a public announcement. While the update didn't dramatically change performance, I think the way Apple treated this update has something to do with the new laptops. I don't know how it's going to affect Macbook sales, but I'm sure Steve is going to either put emphasis on a new Mac Pro update and/or these new laptops. The pro's need updates badly, and I doubt that they will go overlooked at Macworld.

zub3qin
Jan 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
1) I think the iTunes Disney fox movie rental deal makes more sense now. People use the optical drives for very little on the road except for movies while sitting in airplanes. Now there is an easy way to get movies for the DVD-less ultraportable.

2) current macbooks have a multitouch trackpad. At least it is capable of sensing two touches. Wouldn't it be a 10.5 feature rather than a hardware feature to have multitouch a and if so why cant all macbooks get this feature as a leopard update? If a new hardware multitouch pad is coming out wouldn't we know about it because of some hidden code in leopard right now?

Agent Smith
Jan 1, 2008, 01:01 AM
I hope Apple update the Macbook PRo with the new processor and track pad. Apple also better ship better quality displays too ( re: yellow screens ).

It would be great if the MBP screen could be detached and thus turn itself into a mobile device.... however, you'd need ( lots of ) solid state ram or a hard disc somewhere for storage.

How many people would miss an integrated DVD drive inside a laptop these days? What percentage of people use their DVD drive on a regular basis ( measured in days )? Personally, I don't see an external CD player as a big issue.

I agree that the MBP line could use a bit of refreshment, outside of the standard processor bump, and it would be lunacy to not re-vamp the Mac Pro line. That said, I'd expect to see those most likely being announced in February or at the very least at the end of January, given the traditional consumer orientation of MacWorld. Centre stage on the 15th is going to be the iPhone (probably with a 3G [4G?] model being announced along with rev. 1.1.3) and the new thin portable. I only say this to alleviate any disappointment when the pro line is not mentioned. :p

Scarlet Fever
Jan 1, 2008, 01:01 AM
It's gonna be slow. Every true ultraportable (11.1" or smaller) has an ultralow voltage chip in them.

For example, this (http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22104) notebook by Sony is $3,599 AUD, and it has a 1.2GHz chip.

If you're looking for power, get a MacBook.

samh004
Jan 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
what about the processor of this thing? is it gonna be underpowered?

It's Apple... of course !!

New laptop, or plasma TV? Decisions, decisions.

You mean LCD or Laser right ?

Heat sinks, haha... this is Apple not Dell. In the quest for the thinnest laptops, heat sinks were discarded long ago :p

I just bought a brand new 2.2ghz SR Macbook last week. Just waiting for it to deliver right now.

Is it likely Apple would refresh the regular Macbook line so soon? :confused:

Otherwise I'd be feeling severe buyers remorse, having last year's Macbook model. :(

You should never feel bad over your purchase, if you'd bought a MB the day it was released, it'd still be replaced 6 months later. However you bought it because it works for you... so it'll still work for you, it just wont be the new product.

Besides, Rev. A always has bugs, you don't want that.

It'll likely be a new product, not really bridging the gap, but taking aspects of both existing lines and leaving them the same.

Not me, I rarely use my optical drive, usually just downloading my music (legally) and software. There are occasions where I rip a CD or install some CD-bound software, but those occasions are few and far between now, so using that space (I know not likely) for battery or storage or cooling would be much better.

A Bluetooth optical drive with a on/off switch and a Li-ion poly battery would be amazing.

Would that have enough bandwidth for DVD movies and such ? What about when they include Blu-ray, would it have the bandwidth then ?

I think that the the sub-notebook (Macbook Mini) Should have an open bay on the bottom so that different accessories can be inserted in and taken out when needed, such as:

An optical drive can be put in when needed

Another hard drive for maybe TimeMachine

A second battery for the long trips

or anything else a person wants.

It wouldn't really be a sub-notebook then would it, as it'd be exactly the same size with a huge hole in it screwing up the balance most of the time.

I just broke my old dell laptop...so I want to finally get my macbook, but I know in 2 weeks Apple is coming out with something big...I CAN'T WAIT!!! I can't wait for the new laptop!

Prepare to be disappointed then.

2) current macbooks have a multitouch trackpad. At least it is capable of sensing two touches. Wouldn't it be a 10.5 feature rather than a hardware feature to have multitouch a and if so why cant all macbooks get this feature as a leopard update? If a new hardware multitouch pad is coming out wouldn't we know about it because of some hidden code in leopard right now?

Well 10.5.2 hasn't been released yet, quite possible they kept the code out of everything else for a change.

The reason current trackpads can't have an update, because it's Apple, and they sell new hardware, not upgrade the features of old hardware.

Anyone recall the recent patent for collapsing usb and firewire ports? This thing could be really, really thin...

I'll definitely be waiting out revision A then ;)

mrkramer
Jan 1, 2008, 01:03 AM

Isn't bluetooth slower than USB though, I just think that while that would be good if it worked at all it would be painfully slow.

ImAlwaysRight
Jan 1, 2008, 01:07 AM
Damn it, I just got a Macbook 4 days ago

Tip for the newbies: Never, EVER buy a Mac just prior to MacWorld. You either get a better offering for the same price, or you get a chance to save hundreds on what you just ordered yesterday.

ricksbrain
Jan 1, 2008, 01:10 AM
Anyone recall the recent patent for collapsing usb and firewire ports? This thing could be really, really thin...

Osprey
Jan 1, 2008, 01:17 AM
Even though I won't be buying, it is always exciting to see what Apple comes up with.

telegix
Jan 1, 2008, 01:20 AM
Guys, it's not going to have an external optical drive.. Reason being is as follows.. Apple hates attached accessories, etc. Just think about the iMac with a wireless mouse and keyboard.. You have nothing except power.. They even criticize others for doing stuff like that.. Second, don't you remember that weird patent which showed a optical drive on the bottom of the notebook? Of course the picture was stupid, but patent pics usually are.. I think they are going to do something innovative with the optical drive no one has ever done before.. Having said that.. I wouldn't mind if the drive was external since you don't use it much anyway..

FCA
Jan 1, 2008, 01:20 AM
this is so exciting!!! this seems so accurate/cool to me! here's hoping and praying for all the notebook line to be updated!!!
peace

-FCA

elgruga
Jan 1, 2008, 01:27 AM
Presumably there will be a top line model that has 100gb of RAM 'hard drive', or whatever it is they are calling it now.

With no optical and no hard drive it should have 6 hours battery life - maybe more.
Plus its going to be light and maybe have a 12" screen.

Its going to be $3k - aaaargh! I HAVE to have one.

BUT - if they bring out a 16 gb iPhone - what am I going to do?

Probably the iPhone - wait until Rev. 2 for the laptop.

January 15th 2008 - another exciting Apple day!

mhouse
Jan 1, 2008, 01:28 AM
1)

Maybe Arn or someone else could provide some clarification on that. What is meant by "multitouch" trackpad in terms of functionality?

Since Mac portables have had multitouch for a while now, we must be talking about some new functionality or utilization and I have never been able to get a clear picture of what it means.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 01:28 AM
People won't whine about the external drive. People will whine because it will just be a combo drive and it will be 2008.

That's the truth right there brother. :D

Seriously though I use my optical drive WAY too much to even consider leaving it off. If Apple does take the drive out of this ultra portable then the book had better do something wonderful to make it better than the VAIOs that already have what everyone wants and still manages to keep a full working DL DVD burner on board. It would have been a nice machine to go with my 17" MBP with multi-touch trackpad and dual HDD and 512MB GFX card.

That and the new Mac Pro had better be the other topics this coming
Mac World. I am tired of seeing new kiddy toys being introduced by Apple. Time for the heavy duty professional stuff that can actually make my job easier and my bag a little lighter.

Sbrocket
Jan 1, 2008, 01:29 AM
Guys, it's not going to have an external optical drive.. Reason being is as follows.. Apple hates attached accessories, etc. Just think about the iMac with a wireless mouse and keyboard.. You have nothing except power.. They even criticize others for doing stuff like that.. Second, don't you remember that weird patent which showed a optical drive on the bottom of the notebook? Of course the picture was stupid, but patent pics usually are.. I think they are going to do something innovative with the optical drive no one has ever done before.. Having said that.. I wouldn't mind if the drive was external since you don't use it much anyway..

Removing the optical drive completely is one of the steps to making a completely thin sub-notebook, and Apple is known for trying to set standards when it comes to computer thickness. Apple patents tons of technologies that never get used or possibly don't get used for a while, so the patent itself means little. Not to mention that the little flap thingy looks pretty lame for an Apple design.

Other than that, I trust MacRumors' sources more than guessing. Obviously they don't just post every little tip that's sent in or this site wouldn't be what it is right now.

michaelsaxon
Jan 1, 2008, 01:31 AM
External optical drive is actually blu-ray and also plugs into the AppleTV.

Now that'd be something...

kainjow
Jan 1, 2008, 01:34 AM
My guess is it won't include the external drive, but you'll be able to buy it for $150 as an optional accessory. They'll rip you off with it just like they rip off people who want the modem attachment.

MikeTheC
Jan 1, 2008, 01:38 AM
This detachable external drive would allow customers to read/write from CDs or DVDs as usual, but would allow users to leave this extra bulk at home when on the road.

You left your optical drive at home and now you need to install a program?

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/srsigmon/B-9/images/Robot&Will-4WEB.jpg

DANGER, Will Robinson. DANGER!

yoak
Jan 1, 2008, 01:41 AM
This could be the time to replace my iBook (It has served me well for over 4 years now).
I´m all for an external optical drive as long as it´s portable enough to bring along of needed.

As another poster said, I´m inclined to belive they won´t release a notebook with an external though. It´s not very Apple like.
Then again, they could have made something clever as they tend to do.

Looking forward to Mac World 08

Peace
Jan 1, 2008, 01:42 AM
My guess is it won't include the external drive, but you'll be able to buy it for $150 as an optional accessory. They'll rip you off with it just like they rip off people who want the modem attachment.

It will be included as part of the package.It has to be if one expects to re-install Leopard or boot from the DVD for restore and diagnostics purposes.

Of course Leopard could come on a 5GB flash drive.

zioxide
Jan 1, 2008, 01:51 AM
Notice how quietly the Macbooks got updated...Apple didn't even grant the notable santa rosa chipset change a public announcement. While the update didn't dramatically change performance, I think the way Apple treated this update has something to do with the new laptops.

Doubt it. Apple did the same thing when they updated the MBP in June and the MB in May.

OriginalMacRat
Jan 1, 2008, 01:52 AM
Here's to hoping for a 22" laptop...

siurpeeman
Jan 1, 2008, 01:52 AM
And others rejoicing. ;)

my greatest fear is a laptop so great, i'll want one even though i don't need one. :o still, i want it to happen, but i want to be strong enough to resist the urge to buy.

samh004
Jan 1, 2008, 02:12 AM

Wouldn't it be great :D

OllyW
Jan 1, 2008, 02:23 AM
Could someone explain for us lesser folk just what a multi-touch trackpad would likely involve?

Perhaps you will be able to touch it a lot of times ;)

No idea really, but since the iPhone and iPod touch have multi-touch, some people seem convinced it has to be incorporated into every Apple product.

iTeen
Jan 1, 2008, 02:23 AM
Wouldn't it be great :D i suppose...more like 21 inches...sounds better:D
but anyway not going to happen unfortunately:(

bloodycape
Jan 1, 2008, 02:47 AM
Maybe we will finally see the 15in Macbook surface and 13.3in MBP surface.
I am also going to assume this ultra-portable will have some sorta of built in optical drive like how Panasonic and other have done it on their ultra-portables.

johny5
Jan 1, 2008, 02:49 AM

It's that old "need" line again, but i am in total agreement with you! :)
My Mac collection is growing at a stupendous rate of knots but they ya go.
My mates often say I have money to burn, so why not spend it on a new ultra-portable Mac instead of burning it :)

Love the idea of no internal Optical Drive as I only ever use mine to install the OS and the odd app. I think it will get to a time (which is not far off now) that you will only use the drive for burning disks, apps etc will be installed from images across a wifi network.
Fingers crossed for a HD burner ey!?

Sbrocket
Jan 1, 2008, 02:51 AM
I really don't think this post is meant to convey anything about availability of the external optical drive, but rather simply mention that it exists since it hasn't been the topic of much debate so far. In other words - maybe it comes with the subnotebook, maybe it doesn't, but this rumor doesn't say anything about it.

BRussell
Jan 1, 2008, 03:04 AM
I don't get "multitouch trackpad." It seems to me that multitouch has to be on a display, not a trackpad, to be interesting.

Furthermore, current laptops already have tap, double-tap, scroll, drag, right-click, and other features. Multitouch would add the pinch? OK fine, but not exactly revolutionary, given what already exists.

airjuggernaut
Jan 1, 2008, 03:09 AM
Tip for the newbies: Never, EVER buy a Mac just prior to MacWorld. You either get a better offering for the same price, or you get a chance to save hundreds on what you just ordered yesterday.
Yeah I kinda had to though, because of the Holiday Return Deadline. Well whatever my Macbook is pretty awsome, and I have to get used to the "Better product" being released 6 months after anyways :(

SeaFox
Jan 1, 2008, 03:11 AM
The Powerbook 2400 lives.

ajhill
Jan 1, 2008, 03:27 AM
Really,

As long as Apple supports Firewire target disk mode on this new laptop I'd rather see them leave it out. It would lower the cost and lighten the load.

Sceen, keyboard, touchpad, cpu & memory. That's about all we need. Oh, and wireless, of course...

Happy New Year!!! Will this be the year AAPL goes to $300?

Just wait for the iPhone revenue sharing dollars to hit the bottom line...

thegman1234
Jan 1, 2008, 03:51 AM
If this is true, my mom finally be able to get a mac. But I'm more concerned with iPhone news lol.

Lmao @ that.

And this lol.

The Powerbook 2400 lives.

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 1, 2008, 04:05 AM
Apple is also said to be introducing more than one notebook revision at Macworld. What combination of Sub-Notebook, MacBook or MacBook Pro remains unknown, but we've heard that at least one of these new notebooks will incorporate a multi-touch trackpad. The possibility of a multi-touch trackpad has been suggested by both rumors and published patent applications but has not previously been explicitly confirmed.

Damn another notebook revision, I know they sell well but what ever happened to the Mac Pro? It's like the eldest son that grew up and moved out, no one really talks about him anymore.

And will it be possible to get this trackpad externally to use with other Macs?

THX1139
Jan 1, 2008, 04:23 AM
Not having an optical drive built in is a really bad idea. It's going to cut out a lot of potential buyers in the business world. If you travel a lot, you won't want to deal with having to plug in an external device to read CD/DVD's, especially if you're on an airplane. What if you want to watch a movie that you buy on a whim during a layover at the airport? It would suck to hookup another device just to watch a DVD!

When I'm at a clients office and they want to transfer files, they usually hand me a CD. It's going to be a hassle to carry around an optical drive, and it will be embarrassing to say you have no way to read their CD.

However, if this is a sub notebook that is not much bigger than a Palm or Newton, then that's a different story.

InkMaster
Jan 1, 2008, 04:29 AM
Maybe Arn or someone else could provide some clarification on that. What is meant by "multitouch" trackpad in terms of functionality?

Just of top of my head I'm guessing all the iPhone-like pinching and whatnot on images... maybe some gesture based actions? "draw" an 'O' and Safari is launched? - if its a screen as w/ the iphone display maybe some app specific features/buttons? - maybe some tools for final cut for instance... :/

thoughts?

ThinkGeek
Jan 1, 2008, 04:33 AM
Would this subnotebook be the tablet we are all expecting. By tablet I mean:
-full multitouch keyboard
-stylus input
-two OSs - Standard Leopard when in 2 screen mode, Touch Leopard when in 1 screen mode.
-two 9" screens
-foldable display

what would you think Apple will surprise us with this year...?

Brianstorm91
Jan 1, 2008, 05:07 AM
If Apple doesn't update the MacBook Pro's I will not be happy.

InkMaster
Jan 1, 2008, 05:09 AM
wow, this is pathetic - all the "normal" people are long sleeping and here we are discussing damn apple rumors on new year :p

siurpeeman
Jan 1, 2008, 05:14 AM
wow, this is pathetic - all the "normal" people are long sleeping and here we are discussing damn apple rumors on new year :p

well, you have to realize that a lot of people posting right now are in their normal waking hour time zones. ;)

thegman1234
Jan 1, 2008, 05:21 AM
Not having an optical drive built in is a really bad idea. It's going to cut out a lot of potential buyers in the business world. If you travel a lot, you won't want to deal with having to plug in an external device to read CD/DVD's, especially if you're on an airplane. What if you want to watch a movie that you buy on a whim during a layover at the airport? It would suck to hookup another device just to watch a DVD!

When I'm at a clients office and they want to transfer files, they usually hand me a CD. It's going to be a hassle to carry around an optical drive, and it will be embarrassing to say you have no way to read their CD.

However, if this is a sub notebook that is not much bigger than a Palm or Newton, then that's a different story.

I feel like this notebook would be a cheaper, more consumer oriented model. Which would leave the MacBook and the MacBook Pro(fessional) for the professionals.

well, you have to realize that a lot of people posting right now are in their normal waking hour time zones. ;)

Uhh yeah not me lol. It's 6:21 in the morning on Long Island.

shacklebolt3
Jan 1, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'm not saying the chances are high but...

...what if the multi-touch trackpad has a OLED screen behind it that acts as a shortcut menu that is specific and customizable for each application? Essentially an iPhone screen that acts as a trackpad.

For example: When activated by a certain action (i.e. triple tap) the shortcuts are activated. Also when no applications are active, the dock is displayed on the trackpad screen.

Anyway, just a lingering desire of mine... Tell me what you think, maybe there are other applications of this idea, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it!

island
Jan 1, 2008, 05:41 AM
Obviously this "future" notebook isn't for them now, is it? I'm pretty sure there is enough laptops out there for people who need them with optical drives...

:)

Marx55
Jan 1, 2008, 05:48 AM
Whatever Mac sub-notebook, what we need is a 5-inch or so device that runs the full native and original Mac OS X 10.5.1. The ultimate wired and wireless presentation remote for NATIVE full Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. Full quality video out (as the one found now on Apple MacBook Pro).

Now it is possible with the new Intel 45 nm chips (Silverthorne, etc).

tjcampbell
Jan 1, 2008, 06:14 AM
My iPhone is my sub notebook for the moment. I love this damn thing.

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 06:25 AM
Well this is sounding very promising.

I hope the external drive is FW and FW bus powered. The LaCie Portable DVD±RW with LightScribe, Design by Sam Hecht http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10985 would work well for me.

I really hope the ultraportable gets the multitouch... I would be a bit torn if it didnt

notsofatjames
Jan 1, 2008, 07:08 AM
SNIP

I was thinking the exact same thing. The current trackpads recognize more than one touch, which is the definition of multitouch. It just needs the software to process it.

You left your optical drive at home and now you need to install a program?

1) Download it instead. Even if you torrent it, you've got a valid license for the software, making it totally legal.
2) Put the disk in another mac on a network, then copy the app over the network since most mac apps only contain one 'file'

I hope the external drive is FW and FW bus powered. The LaCie Portable DVD±RW with LightScribe, Design by Sam Hecht http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10985 would work well for me.

I do agree, FW Bus powered would be the easiest way to save cabling and keep it portable. I just hope its not brown like in your link! :eek:

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 1, 2008, 07:09 AM
But...

how do you play games when you're on the road then? Most games it seems require the CD to be in the drive when you play (because the companies just don't think you deserve their trust. A few people try to cheat or steal and so everyone suffers... :()

And... what port does this thing plug into?

Say... what if it's like a modual computer? Like... there are a bunch of spaces you can attach different components too... and one of them in a CD drive?

notsofatjames
Jan 1, 2008, 07:13 AM
But...

how do you play games when you're on the road then? Most games it seems require the CD to be in the drive when you play (because the companies just don't think you deserve their trust. A few people try to cheat or steal and so everyone suffers... :()

And... what port does this thing plug into?

Say... what if it's like a modual computer? Like... there are a bunch of spaces you can attach different components too... and one of them in a CD drive?

Have you ever tried to play a game on a macbook? I doubt this sub-notebook will have the power for gaming.

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 1, 2008, 07:18 AM
Have you ever tried to play a game on a macbook? I doubt this sub-notebook will have the power for gaming.

What about old games? I still play WarCraft III...

elppa
Jan 1, 2008, 07:18 AM
Well this is sounding very promising.

I really hope the ultraportable gets the multitouch... I would be a bit torn if it didnt

I did actually predict Apple would go down the external bus powered optical drive route a while back (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4483032&postcount=141), so if this information is true then I will feel rather smug (for five minutes at least).

you buy the matching ultra slim FW 800 super drive.

Ask not what your Macbook Nano does for you, ask what you can buy for your Macbook Nano…

Apple don't "do" cables, it will be bus powered. Alos Johnny Ive will design a nicer one than the LaCie.

As I am doing predictions:
[1] The drive will be a FW800 Super Drive. And you will pay for it, it won't be included in the box because:
[i] Some may have existing external burners they would rather use.
[ii] It would make the box bigger. Bigger, heavier boxes means more expensive shipping.
[iii] Apple will get to make even more money on each sale from people buying the matching optical drive.

[2] The ultra portable will retail for < $1600 (£1400/€1800) and be called the MacBook Nano.
[3] The MBP will get a facelift and a new keyboard to match the MacBook/new Apple Keyboard.

jackc
Jan 1, 2008, 07:25 AM
Sweet, "You Can't Be Too Thin"!

Well, maybe you don't want it paper-thin

greenrabbit
Jan 1, 2008, 07:28 AM
http://image.bayimg.com/maifjaabk.jpg

notsofatjames
Jan 1, 2008, 07:32 AM
nice, i had too look for a while to see what you had done.

zub3qin
Jan 1, 2008, 07:37 AM

This is why Apple will be announcing the Fox/Disney/iTunes movie rental deal at Macworld also.... no DVD needed.

cbrain
Jan 1, 2008, 07:44 AM
nice, i had too look for a while to see what you had done.

What have they done?

Stike
Jan 1, 2008, 07:49 AM
Indeed! What is this?? :eek:

Is this the rumored laptop? Of course I notice the very broad touchpad... is this the real deal? Why is it posted by a MR newcomer? Why am I not seeing any elevator?

Questions, questions... Having fun with Photoshop or is that thing a modded PB12" ??

notsofatjames
Jan 1, 2008, 07:52 AM
What have they done?

Look at the laptop on the right. Its a tad thin, and its got a superwide trackpad

jSunbeam
Jan 1, 2008, 08:19 AM

Horrified? Good god...

;):D

CoreForce
Jan 1, 2008, 08:22 AM
I've been very happy with the PowerBook Duo 210, once upon a time. It was an extremely practical thing. Having the disk drive optional (an FD at that time :) ) was not a big deal at all. Weight was just a fraction and it was running on battery for much longer than any model from the competition. I was traveling quite a lot and this thing became my best friend.

Looks like Apple is re-introducing this concept and will make me happy once again.

Grimace
Jan 1, 2008, 08:29 AM
Sounds like Arn has the skinny on the new products. Care to share any more with us? :D

ribbonthecat
Jan 1, 2008, 08:39 AM
I would like to know if this "Multi-Touch Trackpad" is built into the laptop, or whether it will be a stand-alone product that can be used with any Mac. It would be cool if one could use an iPhone or iPod Touch as a trackpad while it is plugged into the computer and charging.

sushi
Jan 1, 2008, 08:41 AM
Starting to get excited thinking about the possibilities.

T-14 and counting! :)

bigandy
Jan 1, 2008, 08:44 AM
if it's not GMA based, and can handle aperture/fcp/motion/shake etc*, i'd be tempted. that and a desktop mac. that's my ideal.

* yeah i know it'd be on a tiny screen, but hell, i used to cope with 1280x854 on a 15" PowerBook, and it'd be as backup to a better machine. ideal compliment :D

sushi
Jan 1, 2008, 08:51 AM
if it's not GMA based, and can handle aperture/fcp/motion/shake etc*, i'd be tempted. that and a desktop mac. that's my ideal.

* yeah i know it'd be on a tiny screen, but hell, i used to cope with 1280x854 on a 15" PowerBook, and it'd be as backup to a better machine. ideal compliment :D
I am hoping the ultra-portable will have some teeth.

Regarding screen space. I think that Spaces provides a convenient way of extending your physical space so a smaller screen may not be as much of an issue.

viperguy
Jan 1, 2008, 08:57 AM
Question: Price rumors?

Ptpiz
Jan 1, 2008, 09:07 AM
I was about to buy a Macbook Pro the other day, but obviously I am going to hold off. I always feel that if you want to buy an Apple product, whatever it is... never do it within 30 days of a Macworld or some kind of conference. That is just begging for the buyer's remorse.

rhyndu
Jan 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacRumors has heard reliable confirmation about some features in upcoming Apple notebook releases due at Macworld San Francisco 2008.

A Mac sub-notebook is indeed expected to be coming at the Macworld and, as rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/10/apple-ultra-portable-macbook-rumor-roundup/), will not coming with an internal optical drive. This omission is presumably due to Apple's ongoing efforts to reduce the size of their laptops. Instead, Apple is said to be offering an external optical drive with the sub-notebook. This detachable external drive would allow customers to read/write from CDs or DVDs as usual, but would allow users to leave this extra bulk at home when on the road.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/31/apple-sub-notebook-hints-external-optical-drive-multitouch-trackpad/)

Apple, PLEASE make this subnotebook in the same price range on the MacBook.... PLEASE!

maclovin
Jan 1, 2008, 09:13 AM

how did you do this?!?!?

awesome!!

notjustjay
Jan 1, 2008, 09:27 AM
how did you do this?!?!?

awesome!!

That is some big trackpad button! :eek:

mergatroidal
Jan 1, 2008, 09:27 AM

I'm of the opinion the better spy has pictures to back up their claims, or at least a reproduction from their superb photographic memory. :mad:

Then again, I remember General Lee acting on the unsubstantiated reports of Union troop movement from a mere theatrical actor, a spy named Harrison and employed by General Longstreet, just before the battle at Gettysburg began. I suppose then, one should not be too cautious. :apple::apple:

!!!!!!!! I went back and read more posts and ...!!!!?

greenrabbit, my imaginary General Longstreet now hands you a cigar. Please, accept it.

(I refer and make mention of a scene to Ted Turner's excellent documentary movie, Gettysburg.

torn80
Jan 1, 2008, 09:32 AM
That is some big trackpad button! :eek:

...and yet, only one mouse button still!

2A Batterie
Jan 1, 2008, 09:46 AM
I don't buy into the photo at all. Still, Christmas is coming for me on January 15th.

ThinkGeek
Jan 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
If this MacBook Slim/Nano is the only new product announced at Macworld I will be deeply saddened. It does not seem to be revolutionary enough. Also with all the rumors of a Touch Mac Tablet/Laptop..

bjett92
Jan 1, 2008, 09:52 AM

I like the one mouse button on my macbook. I hardly ever need to right click, and if i do, i just tap with two fingers.

gifford
Jan 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
"apple would never drop the optical drive" I recollect people saying to me when I mentioned this before!

This is great news.

tMac85
Jan 1, 2008, 09:56 AM

then go buy a PC

i never think the one button is a problem.
it takes less time to put two fingers on the pad and click.

swagi
Jan 1, 2008, 10:02 AM

Excuse me, but optical media is so old-fashioned. I mean, come on, gimme a break. Handing over a CD or DVD for data transfer in 2008 is like using a floppy disk in 2000!

Any of you ever heard of USB-Flash sticks? And given the amount of data, your clients transfer, they or you should consider setting up a VPN-connection with your laptop anyway.

Bottom-Line: By the time, the Lead-In on your optical media is written, you should have the most data on your laptop depending on transfer method.

I wouldn't mind leaving behind the optical drive. I barely use it. And to the nay-sayers: Apple could very well include a USB-stick for software restore. That'd be freakin' cool.

And on another note: We are talking about a sub-notebook, aren't we? In my mind a sub-notebook is a very nice and neat travel companion to access and modify data fast. But the real work is done on the office desktop, which is perfectly synced with the sub-notebook. Am I wrong here?

If you have your synced dektop Mac at the office, especially combined with Leopards Mac sharing features, then you even don't need optical media to access your media files anyway!:cool:

Gee...I'd love to have that nice little fellow, if it has enough power to do the basic work on the road!

mrgreen4242
Jan 1, 2008, 10:04 AM
Would this subnotebook be the tablet we are all expecting. By tablet I mean:
-full multitouch keyboard
-stylus input
-two OSs - Standard Leopard when in 2 screen mode, Touch Leopard when in 1 screen mode.
-two 9" screens
-foldable display

what would you think Apple will surprise us with this year...?

I want to see a tablet from Apple, but not that. A touch screen keyboard would be a horrible waste of space and money. Tablets have really failed to catch on, and I think it's because they've (almost) all been more or less laptop sized and weight. They're not particularly handy to carry around and use standing up, but if you're going to sit down and use it, mind as well get a regular laptop.

I'd love to see a super thin 7-8" tablet that's a cross between a sub-notbook and an iPhone/touch, though. Small enough to carry around with you and use comfortably, but powerful enough to be more computer than PDA. But, it's not going to happen. I don't think there would be enough market demand for it to make it worthwhile.

The multitouch trackpad is a neat idea, though. I can see pinching to resize windows, or of course zoom photos and other documents, being handy. Mac laptops already know the difference between a one and two finger drag/swipe, though right?

I think they'd have to make the trackpad a bit bigger than standard to make it work right, and I'm wondering if it'll have it's own little LCD (or LED, I suppose) display under it.

steve jr.
Jan 1, 2008, 10:05 AM
A Mac sub-notebook will not coming with an internal optical drive. This omission is presumably due to Apple's ongoing efforts to reduce the size of their laptops.

This is GREAT news! Thin is in.

I think this is the beginning of the next data storage shift. First Apple cut out floppy's and went to Combo/Superdrive. Now they are doing this because flash drives (jump drives) are becoming so affordable and are even smaller, and external. I think Apple started this with iTunes, and making music digital rather than on CD, and I think this is somehow in their plans.

DesignerOnMac
Jan 1, 2008, 10:11 AM
I want to know how Apple will connect the external drive to the main machine.
You need to plug a firewire or USB2 cable ?
It's too un-:apple: and too 1990-ish. They must have a nicer way.

Apples Lombard Laptop, had choices for drives. All were the same size and they slide into the compartment. The Compartment had a protective door to cover it. Since this new thin laptop is going to be thin, I am assuming it might have a similar arrangement??

Manatee
Jan 1, 2008, 10:13 AM
Great news!

The last time I put anything in the optical drive on my MacBook Pro was when I installed Leopard.

I hope I can have this subnote in hand by the end of January.

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think this is the beginning of the next data storage shift. First Apple cut out floppy's and went to Combo/Superdrive. Now they are doing this because flash drives (jump drives) are becoming so affordable and are even smaller, and external. I think Apple started this with iTunes, and making music digital rather than on CD, and I think this is somehow in their plans.

I agree. They may be a little ahead of the curve. (although I would say it is the right time.) but death to opticals that make things thick and are not used MOST of the time by MOST people.

(yes. some people use them all the time. but they are a small minority of overall users.)

swagi
Jan 1, 2008, 10:21 AM

So me, as a non-photography expert, has to say: FAKE! This is with my barren understanding of picture setup, but:

- note the absolute linear gradient on the wide trackpad
- the exact linear gradient on the trackpad doesn't correspond with the obliquie linear gradient on the keyboard
- on the left side of the notebook it rather looks like an old-school female power-connector, not MagSafe
- note the distorted pixels in both Leopard screens, the are perfectly the same despite leading you to believe, that they show differing desktops
- note the screen on the 'ptototype' looks that oblique, that it nearly hides behind the latch in the lower left corner

So, as long as I don't see an elevator, I don't believe it. :cool:

Real question: Will Safari be snappier on this one?

mrgreen4242
Jan 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
Haha. That has been my biggest Apple complaint for years now - even beating out the GPU selection.

don't you remember that weird patent which showed a optical drive on the bottom of the notebook? Of course the picture was stupid, but patent pics usually are.. I think they are going to do something innovative with the optical drive no one has ever done before.. Having said that.. I wouldn't mind if the drive was external since you don't use it much anyway..

That's an interesting idea. I think they might try something like that for a 12" MBP and leave the drive external for an ultraportable.

External optical drive is actually blu-ray and also plugs into the AppleTV.

Now that'd be something...

Now THAT is an idea. The ATV has been waiting for an upgrade for a long time, so announcing new models at the same time could be a pretty big deal. If the Apple TV was a bit better priced at the 160gb+ range, had (or at least supported a USB) HD tuner/hardware h264 realtime compressor, and had an optional BluRay drive (I'm a fan of HDDVD, but I'd jump ship for this) it would literally replace everything connected to my TV (except my XBox, which is on a different TV anyways). If they could swing it for, say, $300 for the ATV, $100 for the tuner/encoder dongle, and another $150-200 for the optical drive I would bite. I'd find the cash somewhere and buy it.

Mickinator
Jan 1, 2008, 10:28 AM

Look under the little laptop. What's that black card sitting there, with an Apple logo? Could that be a business card? Is that a clue for us?

(my first post here!)

gotohamish
Jan 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
It's gonna be slow. Every true ultraportable (11.1" or smaller) has an ultralow voltage chip in them.

For example, this (http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22104) notebook by Sony is $3,599 AUD, and it has a 1.2GHz chip.

If you're looking for power, get a MacBook.

But what is FAST for? If you're in the field and you need the fastest laptop, you're likely doing video or audio, and for that you're likely quite grounded, so a regular macbook or macbook pro would suffice. If, like me, you want a machine to have in your bag every day for little 10 minute updates and email/web/organization, then this laptop would be gold.

Plus, the external drive would allow for either a format-friendly combo, or leave that up to the end user with an OS update for HD-DVD and BRD burning. But that's another discussion.

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
I thought the pic was uploaded in jest.

I mean it is a total fake. Why the doubt?

(The person did do a great job though.)

Mekgek
Jan 1, 2008, 10:32 AM

Wow, I want one even if it's fake :D

Honestly can't tell for sure if its fake or not.

DaBrain
Jan 1, 2008, 10:32 AM

OR a lot of people whining about all the people that are whining!--))) :rolleyes:

gotohamish
Jan 1, 2008, 10:35 AM
Excuse me, but optical media is so old-fashioned. I mean, come on, gimme a break. Handing over a CD or DVD for data transfer in 2008 is like using a floppy disk in 2000!

Any of you ever heard of USB-Flash sticks? And given the amount of data, your clients transfer, they or you should consider setting up a VPN-connection with your laptop anyway.

Bottom-Line: By the time, the Lead-In on your optical media is written, you should have the most data on your laptop depending on transfer method.

I wouldn't mind leaving behind the optical drive. I barely use it. And to the nay-sayers: Apple could very well include a USB-stick for software restore. That'd be freakin' cool.

And on another note: We are talking about a sub-notebook, aren't we? In my mind a sub-notebook is a very nice and neat travel companion to access and modify data fast. But the real work is done on the office desktop, which is perfectly synced with the sub-notebook. Am I wrong here?

If you have your synced dektop Mac at the office, especially combined with Leopards Mac sharing features, then you even don't need optical media to access your media files anyway!:cool:

Gee...I'd love to have that nice little fellow, if it has enough power to do the basic work on the road!

I agree. Apple is seriously trying to ditch media.

With iTunes, and the rumored movie rentals, coupled with general web services (be that iDisk or the—honestly—better alternatives) or flash drives, what do you need the disks for.

Better education in web services alone would eliminate the need for the drive over time.

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 10:36 AM

Why would apple release a notebook where the button would be in the same place as the palm rest? The long button is the obvious give away.

Mekgek
Jan 1, 2008, 10:41 AM
Why would apple release a notebook where the button would be in the same place as the palm rest? The long button is the obvious give away.

Hmm indeed, the long button doesn't make sense

Jan 1, 2008, 10:43 AM
I am not a fan of flash usb sticks for permanent storage.

1. The life span is still not that long. We seem to kill at least one or 2 a year.
2. They are not large enough for permanent storage (ie 4.7 gig DVD's are pretty cheap (100 for $17), but a 2 gig USB stick still costs about $50.
3. How do you label a USB stick?
4. CD/DVD's are thin to store in a notebook, where as USB sticks are still thicker making storing them a little bulkier.

If CD/DVD are on the way out, then we need better ways for permanent storage. I am a big user of documents, pictures, videos, etc.

I am also not a fan of external drives either. With all that said, a sub-notebook is ok for taking to school or to meetings, but for everyday use, I like having things built in and power. I really do not like being tied to a desk, I want the freedom to use my laptop where-ever.

However I do agree with one thing - the smaller and light-weight the better.
Laptops lately are the size of small desktops (look at the monsters from Dell and Toshiba).

I am excited to see what Steve Jobs shows us.... Steve usually has some innovative announcements that just blows away our expectations.....

Teh Don Ditty
Jan 1, 2008, 10:49 AM
You're not a fan of external drives but you have a lot of photos, documents, video and audio..... :confused:

Jupitjes
Jan 1, 2008, 10:49 AM
1) In 2000 I bought the Pismo which has two expension bays. For 7 years I had two batteries in both bays. No optical drives needed. It worked perfect.

2) Optical drives only needed because of manufacturers media:
A) The DVD-drive at home I only needed when installing new software from CD.
B) When renting movies I connected an external DVD-drive.

3) Removing the optical drive is the single best step next to skipping the 3,5"-drive when introducing the first iMac. Who works still with those 3,5" disks? Optical drives are history. Think RAID and have a proper backup system in place.

Cheers, Joop :apple:

Grimace
Jan 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
seems that green rabbit (follow the white rabbit?....) is a one post kind of guy/gal. Looking for buzz, be it from a true or rumored product. S/he registered this morning and has a profile that looks like:

MacBook Pro 15", iPhone, iPod Nano and one more thing...
:cool:

BigJohno
Jan 1, 2008, 10:56 AM
Would they honestly keep the same body as the current MBP. I thought they where going to redesign the case????

Edit.. I think they should get rid of the optical drive. Everything should be available for download. Also if the this so called little mbp can run a 23" or a 30" screen im all for it.

guzhogi
Jan 1, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm the computer tech in an elementary school and I could see this as a good tool in a school setting as a student laptop. Each class in grades 1-3 have a cart of 5 iBooks (some combination of G3s & G4s) while all the 4th & 5th grades share a big cart of 25. The iBooks (which are REALLY slow) are used for writing essays, online research or games and don't ever use the optical drive. If we ever need to reinstall the OS, we just use NetBoot/NetRestore from the network or an external Firewire drive. And since Macs since the G3 days can start up from Firewire, external optical/hard drives is a non-issue. Only thing is it'll have to be cheap. MacBooks are already $1099, or $999 through education. Not sure what the bulk education rate is (my district usually buys new computers for all 9 schools in the district @ the same time), but this new subnotebook should be cheaper. Maybe $899 or $999 for the general public & $100 less for education. Only problem with these (and any Intel Mac for that matter) is that we have a lot of great software that's classic-only so it won't run on Intel Macs.

I'd like to see what a multi-touch trackpad would be like. W/ my MBP, I can scroll using two fingers so we have very rudimentary multitouch already. I'll wait and hold judgement until I see it.

akadmon
Jan 1, 2008, 10:58 AM

I was waiting for someone say this. My sentiments exactly. My daughter is turning 18 in two days and a new MBP is supposed to be her bd present. It will really suck if a MBP update is not at least announced at MWSF :mad: I've been delaying this purchase for months, and in the meantime her old PC POS has bitten the dust.

Jan 1, 2008, 11:01 AM
[snip]

I am under the impression that this could be fake also....

1. that is an awefully big mouse button. If they are going to be innovative with touch, then why have a mouse button so big? a bigger track pad, ok but a huge mouse-button? come on...

2. given the style of the keyboard still resembles the macbook pro, I don't think it is real. Look at the keyboard styles on the macbook and the new imac keyboard. Do you really think Apple would use an "old-style" keyboard when they went through all the innovation to come up with a new style?

Still. This is an impressive picture (oh, but next time do not show it with what appears to be an error box, that is bad publicity - makes me think a new computer with problems...)

sushi
Jan 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
but a 2 gig USB stick still costs about $50.
Huh?

Where are you buying your 2GB USB memory?

Many places sell 2GB at sub $20 prices, and 4GB at sub $50 prices.

Would they honestly keep the same body as the current MBP. I thought they where going to redesign the case????
A similar case as the MBPs currently have, with a matte 12 or 13 inch widescreen display, but thinner without the optical drive, would be nice.

torn80
Jan 1, 2008, 11:06 AM
then go buy a PC

i never think the one button is a problem.
it takes less time to put two fingers on the pad and click.

I never said one button was a problem... I just made an observation, plus if I did want two buttons, you then have to go buy a PC? God forbid if a Mac person likes two buttons on their mice or trackpad. Man, the children on these boards, it's no wonder I rarely post.

Warbrain
Jan 1, 2008, 11:11 AM
1) In 2000 I bought the Pismo which has two expension bays. For 7 years I had two batteries in both bays. No optical drives needed. It worked perfect.

2) Optical drives only needed because of manufacturers media:
A) The DVD-drive at home I only needed when installing new software from CD.
B) When renting movies I connected an external DVD-drive.

3) Removing the optical drive is the single best step next to skipping the 3,5"-drive when introducing the first iMac. Who works still with those 3,5" disks? Optical drives are history. Think RAID and have a proper backup system in place.

Cheers, Joop :apple:

Unfortunately, optical media is going to be around for a long time. Sure, make the ultraportable, but I know that I won't be purchasing one ever because an optical drive doesn't add all that much bulk to the current portables. Many more people than you think live off what is installed in their laptop and don't want external devices to carry around.

Fourbin
Jan 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
I thought to myself - with an ultraportable computer that I'm taking everywhere (including trains, planes, etc.) I'm going to want an optical drive because I'm always watching DVDs. But then it struck me: Apple doesn't want you to have an optical drive so you buy/rent movies from iTunes! Brilliant.

guzhogi
Jan 1, 2008, 11:14 AM

Huh?

Where are you buying your 2GB USB memory?

Many places sell 2GB at sub $20 prices, and 4GB at sub $50 prices.

A similar case as the MBPs currently have, with a matte 12 or 13 inch widescreen display, but thinner without the optical drive, would be nice.

And I bought a 32 GB flash drive for $235 @ dealram.com. Would've gone w/ the 64 GB one, but too rich for my blood ($5,000+).

Don't know about the picture. And I don't care. Don't like the big button or big trackpad. The trackpad on my MBP is roughly the same size as my iPhone's screen so the pinching motion shouldn't be too bad on it. I'd like to see maybe a two button trackpad on it though. Something like the mouse where it's one large button but pressing the left & right would be left/right clicking or something.

rtdunham
Jan 1, 2008, 11:15 AM
I don't get "multitouch trackpad." It seems to me that multitouch has to be on a display, not a trackpad, to be interesting....

I've always assumed the multitouch keypad WOULD be a display too. Maybe it would only display icons for context-sensitive choices like that new $1,000+ keyboard with shifting, mappable keys; maybe it would (when appropriate) show a mini version of what's on the screen, for manipulation, whether sizing a window or photo, whatever. Maybe...

But I think that's the way it'll go: your macbook mutlitouch trackpad won't be a black (or white) pad any more, it'll be a display. I can't give better examples yet because a) i haven't spent that much time noodling it and b) i'm not as smart or imaginative as the apple guys/gals who would come up with these new working tools.

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
Apple doesn't want you to have an optical drive so you buy/rent movies from iTunes! Brilliant.

Although that is a plus for them, I would bet it did not play a major role.

The goal of this subnotebook is thinness.

I think it came down to this:

Steve looked at the current MacBook(& pro) and said.

"It's too thick. Hardly anyone uses the optical any more. Lose it."...

Lepton
Jan 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
A multiTouch trackpad, eh? Here is what I am interested in.. There is a user interface conflict there:

On current trackpads, to scroll further down a page, you drag your fingers down, like you were sliding a scrollbar thumb down. On a multitouch screen like the iPhone, you drag your finger up, like you were sliding the text itself up.

I wonder how they will solve this?

[I myself have been predicting a new line of displays - multitouch, and the ability to lie them flat or nearly flat (up at a 20 degree angle). Possibly wireless WiFi. Possibly with the ability to connect to any computer ala Apple Remote Desktop. In fact that's what I'd call this line of displays - remote desktops.]

DisturbedLen
Jan 1, 2008, 11:21 AM
Whatever they release, it should have an ExpressCard. It annoys me that the MacBook doesn't have it like my MBP.

guzhogi
Jan 1, 2008, 11:25 AM
I thought to myself - with an ultraportable computer that I'm taking everywhere (including trains, planes, etc.) I'm going to want an optical drive because I'm always watching DVDs. But then it struck me: Apple doesn't want you to have an optical drive so you buy/rent movies from iTunes! Brilliant.

I have quite a few TV shows/movies that I bought from iTunes. Pretty handy. But I don't want the lack of an optical drive to be only because Apple wants increased iTunes sales. That's just greedy.

I also think the optical drive still has a few years left in it. With Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and then a holographic disc/protein disc (wikipedia them) later, we'll probably see optical drives for several years more. I'd like to see holographic cards which work like flash drives are something. Flash drives are already at 64 GB though are still fairly expensive. HVDs, according to Wikipedia, can have a capacity of 3.9 TB (about 1000 single layer DVDs) w/ a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s (or 128 MB/s). Holographic cards can hold 30 GB, are fairly cheap ($1 per card), but the readers are expensive. Wikipedia says a reader/writer can be $9000 or something, but no moving parts.

guzhogi
Jan 1, 2008, 11:27 AM
A multiTouch trackpad, eh? Here is what I am interested in.. There is a user interface conflict there:

On current trackpads, to scroll further down a page, you drag your fingers down, like you were sliding a scrollbar thumb down. On a multitouch screen like the iPhone, you drag your finger up, like you were sliding the text itself up.

I wonder how they will solve this?

[I myself have been predicting a new line of displays - multitouch, and the ability to lie them flat or nearly flat (up at a 20 degree angle). Possibly wireless WiFi. Possibly with the ability to connect to any computer ala Apple Remote Desktop. In fact that's what I'd call this line of displays - remote desktops.]

Maybe 1 finger to move the cursor, 2 for scrolling like on current trackpads. Or integrate the trackpad & screen.

Digitalclips
Jan 1, 2008, 11:29 AM
i'll be the first whiner. sounds impractical to me. buuuut i won't be buying one, anyway.

Well I assume by impractical you refer to the external CD / DVD drive? I reply not to you specifically, just thinking out loud about the idea of no internal CD / DVD.

I use several high end Macs for work and games but my trusty iBook G4 12" is in use 24/7 as my e-mail and web reading companion and never leaves my side.

I was trying to recall the last time I ever had a CD or DVD in it ... ah yes when I installed Leopard from the family pack. Before that ...? Let me think ... ah yes, when I installed Tiger.

To be honest with the speed of the net these days (we have FiOS 25/5) I install everything except OS X via Wi-Fi often using Remote DeskTop while working on a G5 or an Intel Mac. I haven't but could use Target Mode to do a major install.

If Apple offered the external drive as an optional feature I wouldn't even bother getting one. Better spend the money on more RAM if possible. I just do not need CD or DVD for the most part so long as one machine on the network has one. I can't help feeling they are headed the same was as the floppy disk ...

Oh, Happy New Year everyone :)

MezicanGangxtah
Jan 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
i Shure hope apple doesnt release a notebook with external optical drive that would be so whack! IM sure apple will pull something off tho so that somehow an optical drive willl fit.After all its soooo not like them to release something that is not all in one.

Mickinator
Jan 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have quite a few TV shows/movies that I bought from iTunes. Pretty handy. But I don't want the lack of an optical drive to be only because Apple wants increased iTunes sales. That's just greedy.

I don't see the lack of a drive being anything important at all. Just hook up a FireWire drive when needed. I have an external FireWire burner hooked up to my iMac, which DOES have an internal optical drive. I use the external one to use LightScribe discs.

Apple should NOT include it on this new one, to keep the size, and cost, down.

zedsdead
Jan 1, 2008, 11:33 AM
Although that is a plus for them, I would bet it did not play a major role.

The goal of this subnotebook is thinness.

I think it came down to this:

Steve looked at the current MacBook(& pro) and said.

"It's too thick. Hardly anyone uses the optical any more. Lose it."...

I agree with you...the goal of the Ultra-portable is going to be just that, portability. Most people only use the optical drive to either rip Cd's or install programs, and that can be done at you home setting. When on the road, you just work off of the flash memory. As for watching DVD's, Apple would rather you buy from iTunes anyway.

Anyone think Apple might set this up as a Sync device through iTunes. Ie. you sync everything my iTunes, to App's, and Documents all through USB. Although, this model would require people to have a Mac already, thus would cut out first time Mac sales. Could be very interesting though.

snipersix
Jan 1, 2008, 11:34 AM
I am currently in a delema now. Wether to wait or not to wait for the upcoming macbook pro, or just get the current 2.4 macbook pro version. With these rumors, I don't think I like the new macbook pro. I dont like the idea of getting rid of the HDD and replacing it with flash disk. It makes it impossible to install other programs in, and keep songs and videos. And the external HDD issue, makes defeats the whole purpose of being portable. What are your opinions on this?

timmillwood
Jan 1, 2008, 11:35 AM
I cant wait for this new machine, i am starting a new job next week and have been looking to downsize from my 17" macbook pro.

I would love to see a +2ghz machine with a **** load of ram (as upgrade I bet), but as small and as light as possible so i can take it everywhere.

Dont need a CD drive apart from now and again when i can even use the computer in work to transfer it to a USB stick if needs be.

Really excited for macworld as I am every year.

Jan 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
You're not a fan of external drives but you have a lot of photos, documents, video and audio..... :confused:

yep. Permanent storage is on DVD. I have about 20 DVD-R's currently, and about 10 cd's. I have a large hard-drive on my desk top (250 gig) and my Dell XPS has a 110 gig hard-drive (still a way to small for my needs). My problem with external drives, is I take my laptop to church on Saturdays to work on the worship media. The area in the sound booth is small (big enough for the screen and keyboard - for the computer that is there). Sometimes I have to put my laptop on a chair next to me to use software I have, that they don't. Having to use an external drive would make it harder when needing to rip video or photos from one of their CD's/DVD's to my laptop for editing.

I do most of my editing for the church at home, but there are always those last minute changes.

I had an external hard drive once for my older desktop. The problem is another device taking up desk space. I have a small desk in a small room, so space is minimal (then you got the issue of more wires).

The only use I found with an external drive, was a case enclosure, when I had to pop-out a hard drive and place it in an enclosure to rescue the data on someone's dead desktop or laptop (with Window's PC's you would be surprized how many times a critical OS file get missing and you can't boot it up - or in the case of a friend of mine, his laptop was burned beyond recognition in a house fire - the hard drive was the only part that did not get damaged).

The other reason I am not a fan of external drives (especially DVD/CD) is all the under-write errors. Maybe they are better than they used to be, but we had a lot of problems with them at work. the data would not transfer to the drive fast enough for the drive to write properly. Reading from the external drive was ok, though slower than a built in one.

The other problem with external drives.... They take up one of your USB ports. I have an HP desktop with 6 USB ports. They are all in use (2 printers, web cam, ipod, scanner, and of course HP's media Center infra-red for the remote takes up a USB). All the USB hub's I tried never really worked properly.

I also had an IBM laptop about 10 years ago with an external floppy. Took a special cable that I would not get replaced when one of the pins bent.

Just speaking from experience. But I know Steve will wow us. I was going to use my tax-refund last year to buy a macbook, but with all the speculation of what is coming out, wanting to wait for leopard, and not being impressed with Vista - I temporarily opted for a cheaper Dell running XP (only because I needed it for work, my pentium III celeron I had for 5 years would not run the software I needed).

Right now I am glad I waited, because of the updates to iwork, ilife, and the initial problems with the macbook (plus they made small updates to make them almost as poweful as the macbook pro). This year I think I will get my mac.

MarlboroLite
Jan 1, 2008, 11:40 AM
13 inches is NOT ultraportable, no matter how thin or light it is.

Why do people keep calling it that?! If indeed it is 13 inches, my guess is that it is either a 13 inch MBP or a completely new revision of the MB line, not an entirely new line of MB "nano"....why would they even call it that when the computer has the same footprint as the MB and when people see them side by side in a store, it will sound ridiculous to call it a mini version unless it's an actual mini computer, which this would not be!!! :mad:

SheriffParker
Jan 1, 2008, 11:42 AM

Where's the external optical drive?????

.:R2theT
Jan 1, 2008, 11:46 AM
The thing that strikes me is that Apple's overall line-up does not have it's usual flow. The new Aluminum iMacs look nothing like their consumer intended counterpart, the white/black MacBooks. They actually look more like the Pro-line products.

I see the entire Pro-line moving to a completely different form factor(Black Aluminum?) and away from the brushed, which will become the new consumer-line look.

I don't really see where an ultra-portable fits in. But I personally don't see any reason against an external optical drive. Then Apple could sell many types of drives(combo, Blu-ray or whatever is around the corner) in an elegant Apple enclosure. I actually see this a terrific step towards more customizable portables!

In any case, I think we will see some major changes announced on the 15th. The Pro-line needs something more than another anemic speed bump!

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 11:46 AM
It's not there because the pic is FAKE.

twoodcc
Jan 1, 2008, 11:48 AM
can't wait til Macworld!

zub3qin
Jan 1, 2008, 11:49 AM
Anyone think this is a good idea?

Take a black Macbook.
Where the touchpad is, make a recessed docking station for your iphone/ipod touch.

Now the iphone itself is the multitouch trackpad. Now imagine the possibilities. You could mirror your main screen right on the trackpad/iphone itself and interact via multitouch with whatever you wanted to (without the fatigue of reaching up to a multitouch main LCD)

You could have hot keys pop up on the iphone trackpad. Contextual buttons for various programs you may use frequently. New skins for Apple to sell you. Extra characters. Etc. The dock itself could live on the pad. One button to launch an app. Switch songs on itunes easily while running another app. Millions of possibilities.

It also is constantly syncing the iphone to the mac.

Any thoughts?

.:R2theT
Jan 1, 2008, 11:50 AM
I am currently in a delema now. Wether to wait or not to wait for the upcoming macbook pro, or just get the current 2.4 macbook pro version. With these rumors, I don't think I like the new macbook pro. I dont like the idea of getting rid of the HDD and replacing it with flash disk. It makes it impossible to install other programs in, and keep songs and videos. And the external HDD issue, makes defeats the whole purpose of being portable. What are your opinions on this?

You should wait. Either way you will still have access to current line-up for months after any new release is announces, more than likely with better pricing. It is much safer to wait, then you go into your purchase with your eyes wide open.

Jan 1, 2008, 11:51 AM
Whatever they release, it should have an ExpressCard. It annoys me that the MacBook doesn't have it like my MBP.

You must be one of those with Cellular Wireless. Most laptop's have wireless (Wifi), blue tooth, etc built in. I really do not see much use for those. A card reader for the little storage cards that go in camera's ok. But I do not pop my card out of the camera. Most manufactures agree that the connectors wearing out and risk of static when sliding those cards in and out is not work taking them in and out.

barijazz
Jan 1, 2008, 11:52 AM
Am I the only person who sees something wrong with a multi-touch trackpad. MULTI-TOUCH IS A TOUCHABLE SCREEN. Why would apple trade the trackpad for multi touch? Apple might make a touch screen on the SCREEN not on the trackpad though.:eek:

snipersix
Jan 1, 2008, 11:54 AM
ok I will wait till feb then. Thanks for your opinions.

barijazz
Jan 1, 2008, 11:55 AM

If that pic is fake. Great job. Even got the shading where the light hits the mac.:cool:

rtdunham
Jan 1, 2008, 11:56 AM

check this:

http://66.226.75.96/pig/

it's clear that the fella who retouched the "monster pig" photos 'shopped this computer image, too. From a spot on the grassy knoll...

FJ218700
Jan 1, 2008, 11:58 AM

it was obviously disconnected (improperly) for the picture. See the error message :cool:

Jan 1, 2008, 12:09 PM

Why do people keep calling it that?! If indeed it is 13 inches, my guess is that it is either a 13 inch MBP or a completely new revision of the MB line, not an entirely new line of MB "nano"....why would they even call it that when the computer has the same footprint as the MB and when people see them side by side in a store, it will sound ridiculous to call it a mini version unless it's an actual mini computer, which this would not be!!! :mad:

I think the idea behind ultra-portable is the weight and thickness. think of the college student lugging around all the text books, or walking a large campus between classes. My dell XPS is small, but still weighs. I would not want to be lugging it around all day between classes. Nor if I was a travelling sales/business person would I want something heavy to lug around between meetings/presentations.

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Jan 1, 2008, 12:10 PM
Apple could easily abandon the optical drive (in the ultra-portable) much like they did the floppy.

Sure, you need it to install software occasionally, but Jobs won't let occasional use of something stand in the way of a fantastic new product design. Nor would they include a bulky, inconvenient external drive for said occasional use. Not today's Apple.

What are the options? Assuming the ultra-portable is announced, would Apple even provide a software install option, even as an accessory? Possible. I doubt it would be included. Apple loves to "tell" people to buy extra hardware to meet their needs (indirectly, of course) beyond the ideal application of the product. Less likely would be a "docking station" of some kind, although some people might like that.

One thing certain is it will not be low-cost, but rather a premium product. Don't expect it to be cheap.

gkarris
Jan 1, 2008, 12:10 PM
Apple needs to loose the "white" - they got rid of the white iPod...

The new Macbooks will match the colors of the iPod Classic - Black or silver.

petercooper
Jan 1, 2008, 12:11 PM
There's been a lot of questioning along the lines of.. "if it doesn't come with a drive, then how will you use CDs / install software / etc." If I were Apple, the most obvious way I could see is to make it ultra simple to use other Macs as the CD drive. Most of us have more than one Mac, and Leopard makes it ridiculously easy to use stuff on other machines, so why not have some way to use your desktop Mac's drive as the CD drive on the sub-notebook too? Sure, an external drive will be required for those who don't have any existing computers, but could still be a paid option as most of us don't need it if they get cross-computer sharing working.

fuziwuzi
Jan 1, 2008, 12:12 PM
Chances of a MB update are still very slim. MBP and Subnotebook seems likely.

arn

i have been thinking that tat new mbp will come out, with penryn and possibly multitouch. bit by bit looks like my dream might come true ^__^

NYCMacFan
Jan 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
Not having an optical drive built in is a really bad idea. It's going to cut out a lot of potential buyers in the business world.

If you travel a lot, you won't want to deal with having to plug in an external device to read CD/DVD's, especially if you're on an airplane. What if you want to watch a movie that you buy on a whim during a layover at the airport? It would suck to hookup another device just to watch a DVD!

If this post accurately describes you, then it is not the product for you. Buy any of there other products. However, as you can see from the posts or any casual survey of people, a large percentage of people hardly ever use their optical drive. Apple needs to design a product to create a maximum market and to compromise the entire design a laptop to accommodate a handful of users (or people that think they need an optical drive but don't) just does not make sense.

I always get files on USB keys by the way as they are not common at 4gb and 8gb sizes.

P.S. Everyone will be downloading movies within the next year or so and so the DVD point is less relevant. Spinning an optical drive to watch films is a horribly waste of energy on a laptop.

NYCMacFan
Jan 1, 2008, 12:19 PM
There's been a lot of questioning along the lines of.. "if it doesn't come with a drive, then how will you use CDs / install software / etc." If I were Apple, the most obvious way I could see is to make it ultra simple to use other Macs as the CD drive.

Please note that there have been numerous laptops without optical drives over the years and that manufacturers (Apple, Dell, whomever) have lots of experience dealing with these kind of issues.

AidenShaw
Jan 1, 2008, 12:21 PM
...I take my laptop to church on Saturdays to work on the worship media. The area in the sound booth is small (big enough for the screen and keyboard - for the computer that is there). Sometimes I have to put my laptop on a chair next to me to use software I have, that they don't. Having to use an external drive would make it harder when needing to rip video or photos from one of their CD's/DVD's to my laptop for editing...

Sounds like you should get a MacBook or an MBP - you're not the target customer for the thin and light....

Peace
Jan 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
If that pic were real it would have 10.5.2 on it..

I have 10.5.2

The pic is fake ;)

Tattoo
Jan 1, 2008, 12:25 PM

I would have to agree with this post. Think about it - My iPhone is the smallest sub-notebook you can buy. I have NO CD/DVD/Superdrive - yet I have all the Movies, Videos, Music, Appointments, Documents, Photos, and access to the Internet!!

Who in the world needs a CD/DVD Drive built in? The future is already here and the iPhone started the revolution! :D

NYCMacFan
Jan 1, 2008, 12:28 PM

It is for me. Bring it in around .5 inch thick, 2.5 lbs and I'd consider it ultraportable. Moreover, the larger screen and full size keyboard will reduce eyestrain and make typing easier. I'd greatly prefer this to anything smaller. I always think people greatly overestimate how little usable space is on a 12 inch letterbox screen let alone a 10 or 11 inch one. I own ultraportables (non-Apple obviously) in those sizes as well and find them a bit tough for everyday use.

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
If that pic were real it would have 10.5.2 on it..

I have 10.5.2

The pic is fake ;)

No it is running 10.5.3 with the new 7 inch long SUPER MOUSE button that gets depressed whenever you put your palms on the subnotebook to type.

It's not a bug! It's a feature!

Tattoo
Jan 1, 2008, 12:32 PM

I was just emailed this Spy Photo from Apple HQ.....:p

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/macbook-mini-070214-0.gif

Tattoo
Jan 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
It is for me. Bring it in around .5 inch thick, 2.5 lbs and I'd consider it ultraportable. Moreover, the larger screen and full size keyboard will reduce eyestrain and make typing easier. I'd greatly prefer this to anything smaller. I always think people greatly overestimate how little usable space is on a 12 inch letterbox screen let alone a 10 or 11 inch one. I own ultraportables (non-Apple obviously) in those sizes as well and find them a bit tough for everyday use.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/sams_q40.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/14615.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/200610170020_01.jpg

happydude
Jan 1, 2008, 12:38 PM
opening wallet . . .

dornbirn2000
Jan 1, 2008, 12:38 PM

Hi,

I have found a page 2 rumor that has a little chance apple make use of this patent. Macrumors Page 2 Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/25/thin-macbook-with-bottom-mounted-optical-drive/)

This sounds very interesting to me.

Virgil-TB2
Jan 1, 2008, 12:41 PM
http://image.bayimg.com/maifjaabk.jpgWithout running it through PhotoShop, this seems to be a believably real picture to me. There are certainly no obvious flaws that jump out and most of the people crying "fake" have only pointed out what they wish they could see in the picture, not what's actually there.

That being said, it can't be the ultra-portable because it's a 13" screen.

If it is a real picture, it could be a picture of the new aluminium MacBooks instead of the ultra-portable.

MarlboroLite
Jan 1, 2008, 12:41 PM
I love the thickness of it!! So sturdy! I bet I could drop it 10 times without a dent...and at only 12 pounds it's as light as a feather!

CWallace
Jan 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
A USB stick will not replace optical media for either software installation purposes or for long-term data backup at this time because of the huge cost differential.

That being said, there is no real reason against moving to an external optical drive for the "MacSubBook". Data transfer can be handled via USB stick or the network.

There are a new generation of optical drives that are 9.5mm tall (versus 12.7mm for the previous generation), including Blu-Ray (Panasonic). Coupled with the new 1.3" HDD units, it might allow Apple to put both in the "MacSubBook" and still keep it small and light.

Tattoo
Jan 1, 2008, 12:46 PM
Without running it through PhotoShop, this seems to be a believably real picture to me. There are certainly no obvious flaws that jump out and most of the people crying "fake" have only pointed out what they wish they could see in the picture, not what's actually there.

If it is a real picture, it could be a picture of the new aluminium MacBooks instead of the ultra-portable.

Its FAKE!!! I swear :apple: is going "green"

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/olpc-money_300x233.jpg

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 12:46 PM
people crying "fake" have only pointed out what they wish they could see in the picture, not what's actually there.

Oh I don't know, that full length mouse button on the palm rest , you know, the one that would depress the mouse button everytime you put your palms down on the subnotebook to type was kinda the obvious give away to me.

aethelbert
Jan 1, 2008, 12:52 PM

Yes! Exactly what I've been waiting for!

Peace
Jan 1, 2008, 12:54 PM
Here ya go. Please note the linear difference of shade in the middle of the trackpad.

iTeen
Jan 1, 2008, 12:54 PM
Yes! Exactly what I've been waiting for! me too...i can't wait to buy one!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 12:55 PM
Here ya go. Please not the linear difference of shade in the middle of the trackpad.

I was just going to post that.

You can see the seam.

NYCMacFan
Jan 1, 2008, 12:55 PM
Oh I don't know, that full length mouse button on the palm rest , you know, the one that would depress the mouse button everytime you put your palms down on the subnotebook to type was kinda the obvious give away to me.

I was just kind of surprised that the metal external case would be completely unchanged after what 2-3 years... Also, did it seem that thin?

Curiously dark as well...

Tattoo
Jan 1, 2008, 12:56 PM
There are a new generation of optical drives that are 9.5mm tall (versus 12.7mm for the previous generation), including Blu-Ray (Panasonic). Coupled with the new 1.3" HDD units, it might allow Apple to put both in the "MacSubBook" and still keep it small and light.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/3338-450x-sony_laptop_1.jpg

CWallace
Jan 1, 2008, 01:00 PM

Now those would be slick. I don't need a sub-notebook, but I'd be darn tempted to buy one of those just for the "cool" factor.

plumbingandtech
Jan 1, 2008, 01:00 PM
I was just kind of surprised that the metal external case would be completely unchanged after what 2-3 years... Also, did it seem that thin?

Curiously dark as well...

Yah, and the bezel around the screen, and heck the screen itself, it simply looks like they shrunk down a macbook pro 15" or he combined a 15" with a 12" body (Powerbook g4).

Nothing about it looks "new" except for that faker then heck 7 inch mouse button and the obviously two shaded wider trackpad.

Padraig
Jan 1, 2008, 01:04 PM
Without running it through PhotoShop, this seems to be a believably real picture to me. There are certainly no obvious flaws that jump out and most of the people crying "fake" have only pointed out what they wish they could see in the picture, not what's actually there.

No need to run it through Photoshop, just use some common-sense. Take a look at that laptop, imagine typing on it and you'll come to the same conclussion.

Tattoo
Jan 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/pict07_macbooklite_070822a.jpg

cbrain
Jan 1, 2008, 01:07 PM

Those look amazing...

If you did those in Photoshop, good job! Please keep up the good work! :)

easy4lif
Jan 1, 2008, 01:10 PM
in a side note, if apple Offers a optical drive option from the sub notbook, I wonder if an update to the Apple TV will allow that same optical drive to plug in to the empty USB port?

If they do, Bye Bye, my DVD Player hello full time Apple TV.

macpluslaptop
Jan 1, 2008, 01:21 PM

Whoever made or took this has a lot of other Apple stuff in the pic - a Nano, what looks like an iphone, etc....

rtdunham
Jan 1, 2008, 01:21 PM
Anyone think this is a good idea?

Take a black Macbook.
Where the touchpad is, make a recessed docking station for your iphone/ipod touch.

Now the iphone itself is the multitouch trackpad. Now imagine the possibilities. You could mirror your main screen right on the trackpad/iphone itself and interact via multitouch with whatever you wanted to (without the fatigue of reaching up to a multitouch main LCD)

You could have hot keys pop up on the iphone trackpad. Contextual buttons for various programs you may use frequently. New skins for Apple to sell you. Extra characters. Etc. The dock itself could live on the pad. One button to launch an app. Switch songs on itunes easily while running another app. Millions of possibilities.

It also is constantly syncing the iphone to the mac.

Any thoughts?

i think your idea has lots of merit.

NAG
Jan 1, 2008, 01:23 PM
I think it isn't likely that Apple would require an additional product like that.

swagi
Jan 1, 2008, 01:26 PM

This laptop looks sooooo freakin sexy! Me wantz it, Me neeeedz it!

Precious!

Grimace
Jan 1, 2008, 01:56 PM
Here ya go. Please note the linear difference of shade in the middle of the trackpad.

Maybe half is a track pad and half is multi-touch.

In any event, I don't believe anything I see until MacWorld or Apple legal takes it down!! ;)

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 01:57 PM

Yeah. *sigh*

flir67
Jan 1, 2008, 01:59 PM
This laptop looks sooooo freakin sexy! Me wantz it, Me neeeedz it!

Precious!

geez, drooling.... now when your done with your laptop just put it back into the picture frame mode in the living room,that would blend right in.

as for the first photoshopped picture notice the background white light gradient stopping on the right mac as for a icon should be right there.

Chris Bangle
Jan 1, 2008, 02:11 PM
I might be a bit too late but i think the spy shots of it are FAKE because of the keyboard, it is an old style ala MBP keyboard not the alumnium imac/macbook type. Which it would be. Why would a new product have an old keyboard...

Oh but it would be amazing if it was real because it looks awesome

matthemercyless
Hey guys,

I was bored so i've posted a picture of my PowerBook's guts, to give you an idea of how much space is taken up by each component.

Top left = fan, speaker, light sensor, PC card slot
Top right = fan, speaker
Bottom left>Bottom right = battery, Hard Drive, Optical Drive & PRam battery.

Enjoy

luminosity
Maybe half is a track pad and half is multi-touch.

In any event, I don't believe anything I see until MacWorld or Apple legal takes it down!! ;)

Not seeing is believing ;).

surferfromuk
Jan 1, 2008, 02:15 PM

Damn that's gorgeous.
its clear to me that leopard is already prepared for multi-touch:
1)coverflow file browsing
2)stacks and spring loaded folders seem explicitly built for a finger
3)itunes,iPhoto,iMovie -all seem 'finger friendly'
4)OSX variant on iPhone/iPod already capable of multi-touch input.

Anyway, if Apple come up with something as mind blowing as iPhone then they will have me again dipping into my wallet.

Stella
Jan 1, 2008, 02:25 PM

If only.... very, very, cool!

MacFly123
Jan 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
Damn that's gorgeous.

Anyway, if Apple come up with something as mind blowing as iPhone then they will have me again dipping into my wallet.

I've said ever since the iPhone was announced that Leopard would have Multi-Touch in it because the iPhone runs Leopard. I have been mocked, but looks like I will finally be proven right :)

P.S. I have seen that design online before and it was a conceptual design by some random guy from like 2 years ago.

Stridder44
Jan 1, 2008, 02:43 PM

That makes 2 of us.

swagi
Jan 1, 2008, 02:48 PM
Those look amazing...

If you did those in Photoshop, good job! Please keep up the good work! :)

After some research on the web, I want to point out, that these are concept designs for an imaginary Sony Vaio Zoom. You should check out the site, all the other sites link to primarily:

http://www.yankodesign.com/index.php/2007/09/18/futuristic-vaio-zoom/

This site also has some other nice designs to offer. So today I'm off from Macrumors and start looking at this page :cool:

DaBrain
Jan 1, 2008, 02:51 PM
If only.... very, very, cool!

I wish that the persons that create these awesome photo mock ups, worked for Apple!

Great job! ;)

MacFly123
Jan 1, 2008, 02:53 PM

Looks pretty convincing to me, but where are the speakers??? :rolleyes:

MrCrowbar
Jan 1, 2008, 02:54 PM

Interesing but that trackpad button would be kinda depressed constantly when using the trackpad. I'm not gonna go into the oddities because you can't really tell for sure with that bad picture quality. I would like to have one of those nevertheless :)

appleface
Jan 1, 2008, 02:58 PM
Mock up:

Chris Bangle
Jan 1, 2008, 02:59 PM
Interesing but that trackpad button would be kinda depressed constantly when using the trackpad. I'm not gonna go into the oddities because you can't really tell for sure with that bad picture quality. I would like to have one of those nevertheless :)

The keyboard is also very very wrong, its an old style one, i.e mbp style not MB and imac aluminium stlye.

airjuggernaut
Jan 1, 2008, 03:01 PM
What about the Video card people? If it's going to be ULTRA thin, would it be able to fit a card like the 8600?

mdriftmeyer
Jan 1, 2008, 03:04 PM
Damn that's gorgeous.

Durability nightmare and a lawsuit waiting to happen. The entire surface would be scratched upon regular use and no, putting a sleeve around it isn't part of a laptop/subnotebook.

currentinterest
Jan 1, 2008, 03:04 PM
The ultra-portable will have integrated graphics. This is not a game machine.

appleface
Jan 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
I am not a fan of flash usb sticks for permanent storage.

i think you're supposed to use your .mac account for permanent storage.

the last time that apple tried to get rid of the disk drive was with the first imacs. that didn't go over well. apple's pitch was that you can use the internet to send documents everywhere, and a disk drive was not needed. like apple does sometimes, their forward thinking was a little too forward. now, internet bandwidth for the masses, flash memory size and prices, and online storage are all improved; and apple may be able to successfully eliminate the built-in optical drive.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:19 PM
Why do mockup artists put the big button underneath the trackpad and give it multi touch? WHY not just make the button disappear and extend the trackpad in it's place, allowing the user to just touch the space the button would be in or double tap or gesture the large trackpad.

This is why I still say mockup artists haven't learned to think out of the box just yet.

I like the slim computer with the transparent monitor because it answers the question of how Apple may do the Tablet and the ultraportable with the same machine.

iTeen
Jan 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
i can't wait for the 15th....
maybe i will even stay home from school to watch the keynote:D

surferfromuk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
Durability nightmare and a lawsuit waiting to happen. The entire surface would be scratched upon regular use and no, putting a sleeve around it isn't part of a laptop/subnotebook.

don't see why?The optical glass on my touch is well used and currently not scratched. If anyone can make it work Apple can, plus they have raised the expectations of people so high that anything less would be a serious dissapointment.
furthermore, the design with the full width trackpad won't work since your wrists would be resting over it when typing.
Personally I would imagine a twin screen 'nintendo ds' type of implentation with a partially 'mirrored' optical glass touch surface on the horizontal typing plane dedicated to the dock and input control elements.
The main problem is that the keyboard is not permenently retractable like it is on the touch. Apple are going to have to think very different to solve that problem.
One thing is sure OSX has demonstrated a completely separate evolutionary direction inthe iPhone/touch version that some kind of convergence of functionality must occur.
Whoever cracks it will steal the next decade of tech sales.
I must say, having used the touch as a 'couch computer' for a few months now that a big screen version would be a nice pieces of kit.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:41 PM

I was just going to post that.

You can see the seam.

Yeah. and the track pad is leaning to the left side very noticeably. Besides. The button on that thing is disgustingly huge.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/TATTOO_WOW/pict07_macbooklite_070822a.jpg

** Runs to bathroom to barf up lunch **

okay.... okay.... I am better now. I think I can hold in the rest of it.

If anyone can make it work Apple can, plus they have raised the expectations of people so high that anything less would be a serious disappointment.

I don't understand how "if anyone can do it Apple can" is a justified statement. And yes... the second of the statement is exactly what may happen this january. It's what happened in 2007, the entire year of 2007, lots of disappointment.

goldenlotus
Jan 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
i can't wait for the 15th....
maybe i will even stay home from school to watch the keynote:D

Yeah I usually do. Macworld and a 6 pack is a great combo!

surferfromuk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
Mock up:

do this again with a complete glass input area where the keyboard is and I think your onto something. I think the entire horizontal surface will be a touch display.
the reason I think there will be dual displays is that the way a laptop is used requires you to interact on the horizontal and while viewing the vertical plane. Touch and iPhone dogde this by being both by virtue of the fact that you can hold the device and reach all the keys with your thumbs. You will not be able to hold and type on a single surface device - so mirrored display is the only way forward

MacBuzz
Jan 1, 2008, 03:52 PM
I've been using a Panasonic Let's Note CF-R3 as my portable PC since 2004. 2.2 lbs with battery, battery life 9 hours, XGA 10.4 inch display. Of course it does not have an internal optical drive, but never really needed it on the go. If it's going to be described as an "ultraportable", it has to be at least comparable to the Pana R series. Come on Jobs, you can do it!!

pubwvj
Jan 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
Removing the optical drive is an excellent choice. The only reasons I use the drive is for loading software. I would much rather buy downloadable software and avoid buying software on disk if possible. The optical drive has been the number one device failure in all the computers we've had in the last ten years. Removing it will make the computer more reliable as well as lighter and less expensive.

Now what I want to see is a touch screen and the computer reduced to a pocket size that folds out like a booklet - the iPal.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
do this again with a complete glass input area where the keyboard is and I think your onto something. I think the entire horizontal surface will be a touch display.
the reason I think there will be dual displays is that the way a laptop is used requires you to interact on the horizontal and while viewing the vertical plane. Touch and iPhone dogde this by being both by virtue of the fact that you can hold the device and reach all the keys with your thumbs. You will not be able to hold and type on a single surface device - so mirrored display is the only way forward

Not gonna happen. People need tactile feed back in order to type correctly and efficiently. It's a nice idea, but somethings just can't happen in certain ways. If Apple did make the MAC BOOK PRO without a real keyboard I would have to buy a Dell and suck it up with Vista.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:57 PM
Removing the optical drive is an excellent choice. The only reasons I use the drive is for loading software. I would much rather buy downloadable software and avoid buying software on disk if possible. The optical drive has been the number one device failure in all the computers we've had in the last ten years. Removing it will make the computer more reliable as well as lighter and less expensive.

Now what I want to see is a touch screen and the computer reduced to a pocket size that folds out like a booklet - the iPal.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

Not really. The optical drive isn't that expensive to begin with and it doesn't add that much weight either. When looking at other ultra portable machines you will find that they all have their optical drives internal and they are still light, durable, have superior battery life, and full features.

And not everyone lives without the optical drive.

If they want to take it out, they should at least make it an option to leave it in.

zub3qin
Jan 1, 2008, 03:58 PM
I can't believe that people seriously think that you could type on a virtual touch keyboard for major apps. It works barely ok on an iphone.

But just try and type quickly or accurately on a flat piece of glass without looking at the keys. Try it at home. "Type" on your desk as if it was a keyboard. Your fingers will start hurting in a couple of minutes. Now imagine if you had to type without looking at the keys. Without tactile markers defining the key boundaries, it is impossible to do accurately.

As cool as it would be to have a full size display on the base, the reality is that a full keyboard is the only workable solution.

zub3qin
Jan 1, 2008, 03:58 PM
Not gonna happen. People need tactile feed back in order to type correctly and efficiently. It's a nice idea, but somethings just can't happen in certain ways. If Apple did make the MAC BOOK PRO without a real keyboard I would have to buy a Dell and suck it up with Vista.

Heh- I just posted the same thing!

surferfromuk
Jan 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah. and the track pad is leaning to the left side very noticeably. Besides. The button on that thing is disgustingly huge.

** Runs to bathroom to barf up lunch **

okay.... okay.... I am better now. I think I can hold in the rest of it.

I don't understand how "if anyone can do it Apple can" is a justified statement. And yes... the second of the statement is exactly what may happen this january. It's what happened in 2007, the entire year of 2007, lots of disappointment.
because apple are operating at a speed other companies have demonstrated they have been unable to match and because in 2007 the delivered an incredible multi-touch product range that has blown every other manufacturer out of the water. OSX has such untapped potential that
we are only just beginning to see the fruits it is capableof bearing.
indeed show me any other tech company doing what apple is doing- either equivelantly or better

surferfromuk
Jan 1, 2008, 04:06 PM

agreed, but if I recall there was a patent filed by apple a while ago relating to 'a new kind of touch surface' which gives (simulates?) tactile feedback - if that can be sandwiched between the glass and the display your there. I must say that if the keys were bigger on the touch I would be typing as fast and as accurately as I do with a full keyboard and that the actual 'push' really isn't the confirmtion of a press - I actually don't think I'd miss push keys one little bit.

FCPnewbie
Jan 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
Remember when apple dropped the floppy drive before almost everyone else and we all thought they were nuts? Remember that?
I'd venture to say that they're ahead of the game again. But that's just me.

proximity
Jan 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
Removing the optical drive makes perfect sense. Apple was met with the same reactions when they removed the floppydrive. Most people don't use their optical drive daily, removing it to save space is a logical choice which would work well both with an external alternative or with the Leopard install software provided on a USB memory stick.

zub3qin
Jan 1, 2008, 04:12 PM
Is Multitouch on a mac something that would simply be "cool" or would it in some way boost productivity? Mouse, dragging, clicking, seems to be a very very quick way to do things.

What would Multitouch let us do better on a Mac laptop?

In some ways this reminds me of someone trying to invent a replacement for a fork.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
because apple are operating at a speed other companies have demonstrated they have been unable to match and because in 2007 the delivered an incredible multi-touch product range that has blown every other manufacturer out of the water. OSX has such untapped potential that
we are only just beginning to see the fruits it is capableof bearing.
indeed show me any other tech company doing what apple is doing- either equivelantly or better

Oh man...

Let's see.... in 2007 Apple brought us the iPhone whose only advantage in the phone industry is the UI. And Leopard, which like every new OS is buggy. It will get fixed and the iPhone will be better, especially when it's off of the AT&T network, but that's about it.

NOW. HP worked with ATI and Nvidia to get us Crossfire and SLI in one machine. Dell improved their industrial design and gave us a good looking laptop in 13" and 15" models that offer configurations that the MBP can't offer. Intel is.... well we all know about Intel and what they are doing.

Sprint is introducing WiMax into cities and will offer speeds that are much faster than anything EDGE can match, and do so with less power than 3G.

Nikon offers a full frame DSLR that blows away the competitions and a cropped sensor model that sets a new standard for cameras in it's class.

And in the meantime... Apple has an 18 month old Mac Pro that they are still charging full price for. And outdated MacBook Pro with a very limiting design, iMacs with screen issues, no mini tower, and the Apple TV and Mac Mini which many are still wondering if they are relevant anymore.

So... we have the UI of the iPhone and Touch, and Leopard ( or the possibility of what Leopard could be)

Not that Apple hasn't been working hard... just that they haven't been doing that much. Other than the toys, they haven't been doing anything at all. So I am hoping this MacWorld will show us what they have been doing. There had better be some breakthrough stuff there, at least a Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, and iTunes Rental Store and Leopard update.

NAG
Jan 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
Wait wait. So Dell gets props for making a good looking laptop with features others can't match but the iPhone gets dumped on because it is a phone? You're hardly being objective with your statement there.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
agreed, but if I recall there was a patent filed by apple a while ago relating to 'a new kind of touch surface' which gives (simulates?) tactile feedback - if that can be sandwiched between the glass and the display your there. I must say that if the keys were bigger on the touch I would be typing as fast and as accurately as I do with a full keyboard and that the actual 'push' really isn't the confirmtion of a press - I actually don't think I'd miss push keys one little bit.

But you have to look at the iPhone still since the screen is only but so big. When you are typing quickly, and on a desktop or laptop you're not supposed to look at the keyboard.

It would be nice to have a keyboard like that, but actual buttons are still needed. OR if they made the Aluminum keyboard's keys little LED displays like that God awful Russian piece of crap Optimus keyboard but made it better and cheaper than we could talk.

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 04:19 PM
Not really. The optical drive isn't that expensive to begin with and it doesn't add that much weight either. When looking at other ultra portable machines you will find that they all have their optical drives internal and they are still light, durable, have superior battery life, and full features.

And not everyone lives without the optical drive.

If they want to take it out, they should at least make it an option to leave it in.

I disagree. Apple tend to be leaders in change and its not something they do lightly.

To me removing the optical drive means one big piece of hardware (relatively) gone for size and weight. It also means less moving parts - and when they go flash as well (soon?) that will be do the same again. Also removing the optical drive opens up the possibility of additional ports or at least not the loss of ports for usb/fw/video.

I use my drive for software loading (a pretty occasional thing) - backups (although the last 2 years I have just used external HDDs mostly, and now we have time machine as well) - loading music into iTunes (something that I haven't done since I got my Alu iMac which is now the multimedia machine) - DVD watching (which I cant say I have done for over a year because there are better ways to do that). So for me I loose almost no real day to day functionality if they make it an external thats nice and portable, and preferably powered over firewire.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 04:20 PM
Wait wait. So Dell gets props for making a good looking laptop with features others can't match but the iPhone gets dumped on because it is a phone? You're hardly being objective with your statement there.

iPhone is missing a lot of features that are SUPPOSED to be in a phone.
- Phone as modem
- Flash support
- MMS/SMS
- Stupid features that are missing like deleting single Mail messages.

The Dell 1330 adds options that the Mac Book doesn't currently have.
- Dedicated GFX cards
- LED display
- you get the picture

And it does it in a design that is pretty close to looking as good as the Mac. The only thing holding a lot of PCs down is Vista.

Not arguing with Apple's progress, it's just not as fast and as dedicated as it should be.

Digital Skunk
Jan 1, 2008, 04:21 PM
I disagree. Apple tend to be leaders in change and its not something they do lightly.

To me removing the optical drive means one big piece of hardware (relatively) gone for size and weight. It also means less moving parts - and when they go flash as well (soon?) that will be do the same again. Also removing the optical drive opens up the possibility of additional ports or at least not the loss of ports for usb/fw/video.

I use my drive for software loading (a pretty occasional thing) - backups (although the last 2 years I have just used external HDDs mostly, and now we have time machine as well) - loading music into iTunes (something that I haven't done since I got my Alu iMac which is now the multimedia machine) - DVD watching (which I cant say I have done for over a year because there are better ways to do that). So for me I loose almost no real day to day functionality if they make it an external thats nice and portable, and preferably powered over firewire.

Agreed, but i am saying that removing the optical isn't needed, that isn't holding Apple back from making an ultra portable. They just haven't done it.

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah I usually do. Macworld and a 6 pack is a great combo!

4am is to early for beer for me. Good coffee and multiple machines and screens to be as vicariously there as I can be.

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 04:25 PM
Agreed, but i am saying that removing the optical isn't needed, that isn't holding Apple back from making an ultra portable. They just haven't done it.

No, I guess its not "needed" but personally I think its going to be a better machine for me if its a bit smaller/thinner and lighter because they chose to drop the optical drive (and no ports loss I hope). Also one less thing to go wrong with the machine having had issues with discs stuck in drives a few times in the past.

messedkid
Jan 1, 2008, 04:26 PM
i hope it can be used/bought seperately as well. im sick of not having a dvd burner in my macbook.:(

aswitcher
Jan 1, 2008, 04:28 PM
i hope it can be used/bought seperately as well. im sick of not having a dvd burner in my macbook.:(

If it cant be then I suggest you check out the LaCie Firewire lightscribe external DVD drive they recently released. Comes with Toast 8 for a pretty good price and specs wise looks very good.

iW00t
Jan 1, 2008, 04:30 PM

With an amazing transfer rate of 1mb/s?

I certainly can watch a 2 hour movie in 20 years...

I have an even better idea. A wireless battery that beams power directly into your MBP. Way cooler, and evades TSA regulations!

blashphemy
Jan 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
If they have a multi-touch touchpad, I doubt that it will be used for anything more interesting than what a touchpad is currently used for or even be listed as a major feature. Think about it - what are you going to do with a multi-touch touchpad? Already you can have 1 finger to move the mouse around and 2 fingers in the same direction scrolls, so you already have "multi-touch" in a way. So, I think they'll just say, "oh and by the way the touchpad is multi-touch" and then move on since that's good marketing, if they say anything about it at all.

Other than that, rather predictable, really only thing to do now is wait until the keynote and see what comes true *cue the magic*

Stella
Jan 1, 2008, 04:44 PM
With an amazing transfer rate of 1mb/s?

I certainly can watch a 2 hour movie in 20 years...

I have an even better idea. A wireless battery that beams power directly into your MBP. Way cooler, and evades TSA regulations!

In the future: Highspeed Bluetooth / Bluetooth 3 is your answer... up to 480 Mbit/s.

Not sure on its anticipated release dates tho.

MattInOz
Jan 1, 2008, 04:51 PM

You always have one accessory, the power brick so why not build a optical drive into the power brick, since your then adding some form of data connection either to a magsafe or wireless, add a usb2 hub for the other devices. It's going to be smaller than the two separate.