PDA

View Full Version : Re-Ripping Songs into a higher bitrate...

Sean7512
Jan 1, 2008, 01:20 AM
I have quite a bunch of CDs that were ripped a long time ago (10 years) and the format I used then was 128, MP3.....I want to re-rip these CDs into iTunes using 256, AAC. My question is, is there anyway for iTunes to delete the original songs, BUT keep information such as play count? Or if I write down the play counts, is there a ID3 editor program that will allow me to add it to the new version?

Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sirus The Virus
Jan 1, 2008, 02:06 AM
If the CD's are tagged identically to the files in your library the play counts should stay there.

balamw
Jan 1, 2008, 02:32 AM
If not http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes has scripts to reset/copy play count info...

B

Sean7512
Jan 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
If the CD's are tagged identically to the files in your library the play counts should stay there.

So, if I just insert the CD into my computer, iTunes will tag the CD and the tags should be the same. Then I re-rip the song, and you're saying the old files should get overwritten instead of creating a duplicate? If thats the case, then that is awesome!

balamw
Jan 1, 2008, 11:26 AM
So, if I just insert the CD into my computer, iTunes will tag the CD and the tags should be the same. Then I re-rip the song, and you're saying the old files should get overwritten instead of creating a duplicate? If thats the case, then that is awesome!

FWIW iTunes generally prompts you if it sees you are re-ripping an album if you want to replace the old files (in which case the play count ratings etc... will me migrated over) or not. In either case, the one thing that does not seem to be taken from the old files is artwork, so if you have some embedded artwork that is hard to replace, extract it first.

B

Sean7512
Jan 1, 2008, 03:45 PM
FWIW iTunes generally prompts you if it sees you are re-ripping an album if you want to replace the old files (in which case the play count ratings etc... will me migrated over) or not. In either case, the one thing that does not seem to be taken from the old files is artwork, so if you have some embedded artwork that is hard to replace, extract it first.

B

Sweet, thanks soo much! The artwork isn't much of a concern, as I can tell iTunes to get them again from the store, no big deal. Thanks again, I'll edit this post once I do it just to confirm that it worked! :)

EDIT:
It worked perfectly! It moved the old files to the trash and imported the newer files in. I never knew iTunes had that ability built in, that is a pleasant surprise, as I have been wanting to re-rip tons of CDs but never did because I didn't know how to deal with the play counts, etc. Thanks all!