Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendynj18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I have bought an iMac G3, 333MHz, 6GB HD, and 256MB RAM

I get an error message when starting it up

/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
Ethernet(BMac): Link down
IOKernelDebugger: Debugger attached
#

Is there anything i can do to get past this?

I also have the OS X 10.3 install disks but when i go to install them i get an error message but its really long should i post that too?

Oh and i am really sorry this might be in the wrong area please move if need be!

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I have a similar iMac G3 (600MHz/40GB) running Panther 10.3.9 and it's still very usable. I've upgraded a buddy's iMac G3 which was identical to yours and he still uses it daily. Your machine shipped with OS 9 and upgrading it to OS X is a pretty straightforward process, although there are several steps involved. You should realize however that Panther itself will take up a good portion of your HD space, so you won't have a lot left over for music, photos, or whatever else. And you really should upgrade the RAM to a minimum of 512MB (mine's running 640MB).

I'm not familiar with the errors you mentioned but this site might help you through it...

http://www.capecodgraphics.com/imac_firmware.htm

Normally there are four steps involved...

1) Upgrade original OS to 9.2.2.
2) Upgrade firmware
3) Install OS X from install discs ***
4) Update OS X to 10.3.9

*** Note that you'll need an original Panther install disc set; you cannot use the install discs that shipped with an iBook or PowerMac. Only the original install discs have the drivers etc. for all possible Mac combinations, including yours.

If you (or the previous owner) attempted to install OS X without doing the firmware upgrade first, you might have botched the whole thing. In that case you might need to go back to square one and re-install OS 9 first.

Good luck!

brendynj18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Thank you

Ok i have the firmware upgrade done i know that but i can not boot into any of my OS's I have OS 9.2.1, OS 9.2.2, and OS X 10.1... I can not get to any of them or any of my stuff... also this is a networked computer so i dont have to worry about space!

When i boot into OS X 10.3 CD i get this message after the apple screen!

panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "iMac".

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x000833B8 0x0008389C 0x0001ED8C 0x0026DA4C 00x0024DE04 0x0024DBDC 0x0024E658 0x0024ECCC
0x0023EE84 0x0023EE48
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x0048E780)
PC=0x00000000; MSR=0=0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; (And so on tell me if you need the rest)

Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 7.0.0:
Wed sep 24 15:48:39 PDT 2003; root:xun/xun-517.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

No debugger configured - dumping debug information
MSR=00001030
latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
(if you need numbers tell me)
Proceeding back bia exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x0048E780)
PC=0x00000000; (more numbers tell me if you need them)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 7.0.0:
Wed sep 24 15:48:39 PDT 2003; root:xun/xun-517.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

panic: We are hanging here...

Thats almost exactly what it says other than all the numbers that i dont think are needed!

What can i do? the only OS X/OS cds i have are the 3 for OS X 10.3!

I know i have the old versions installed though! what can i do because i can not even boot into any os... the error in my last post!

Thank you guys!

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "iMac".

As it can't find the driver for your iMac on the CD-ROM, I'm guessing that the install CD's you have are indeed for a different type of computer. Look at them closely, my iBook 10.3.2 install CD's are flat grey while the "official" $129 Panther install CD's have a screenprinted "X" logo on them. In fact (from memory) I think my iBook install CD's actually have "iBook G4" printed on them somewhere. Look closely.

panther_cd_black.jpg

5e25_1.JPG

It sounds like you're good to go, no fatal problems, except you don't have the proper Panther install CD's. Check with your local Mac dealers, or a users' group, or try to buy them online.

brendynj18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
so i have the wrong?

I do see that i have the wrong CD's Thank you!

I will have to call the guy that i bought it from to see what is going on and if he has the right ones...

Is there any way to get this to boot so i can use OS 9 again for tonight?

brendynj18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
A little more help

Ok... I cant get to the seller... no big deal though... i posted an ad on craigslist seeing if anyone had 10.3 and OS 9... someone just got back to me saying they had both and want $25 shipped! Is this a good deal? Will this work on my mac? I don't want to buy anything that will not work! Please get back to me soon so i can get back to this person saying if i will take the deal or not!

I also want to say that this is a really nice place... i got help really fast! I will keep coming back here and maybe after i learn some stuff i can contribute!

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
It's a good deal if they are the full install disc's. I'm surprised they want to ship though. You should check to see if you can pick them up locally. The main thing you want to look for are full retail install disc's like the posters have said. If they are, go ahead and get them.

Glad your having luck on the forums.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
$25 is a good deal, but as mentioned confirm in advance that they are the original CD's. My iBook's version of Panther included OS 9.2.2 as an optional install which it refers to as the "Classic" operating system, as well as a few OS 9 programs that require it. Good luck getting it running, my iMac G3 is still lots of fun to use. :apple:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Ok... I cant get to the seller... no big deal though... i posted an ad on craigslist seeing if anyone had 10.3 and OS 9... Will this work on my mac?

Almost certainly not. The iMac G3 never shipped with OS 10.3 and the seller is probably selling the bundled disks from a newer computer. This is back to the original problem - bundled disks only work on the model of Mac they came with.

The only way these will work is if they are the RETAIL disks of OS 10.3 and OS 9, which I doubt from the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.