PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading PB 17" HDD

sparky76
Oct 7, 2003, 07:45 AM
With the new 17" PB's shipping with 80 GB drives, I was wondering what the largest capacity you can get for this machine is. My 60GB drive is very nearly full. Any suggestions? It doesn't seem worth upgrading to 80GB but I might take the risk if we can get 120GB in there.

Powerbook G5
Oct 7, 2003, 08:09 AM
I don't think you can get a 120, if so, I am sure it'd be pretty expensive. I know it isn't as portable, but a FW HD would be a decent price, give you just about any option as far as space, and it'd be incredibly faster than the internal drive ever could be. It's at least something to consider.

sparky76
Oct 7, 2003, 12:06 PM
I already have a FW 160GB drive, but really want the portability of a large drive. My iTunes library alone is 30GB, not leaving a lot.

Powerbook G5
Oct 7, 2003, 12:22 PM
Is there any way you could swap files between your internal and external drive? Like, have stuff you don't immediately need when moving around on your FW drive and keeping the essentials on your HD, so that you could both stay portable and have best of both worlds. I know it'd be great to have larger internal drives, but 80 gig is about as big as I can remember finding internal laptop drives since the average today seems to be 60-80 for most higher end configs.

sparky76
Oct 7, 2003, 02:20 PM
If 80GB is here today, 120GB will be here tomorrow. Maybe I'll just swap the files in the meantime and upgrade later. Or just buy the 160GB G5 PB by then.

Kwyjibo
Oct 7, 2003, 02:28 PM
not exactly its tough to increase laptop drive sizes i'm not sure but 80Gb used to be the max for a single drive at that size hoepfully someone whos familiar with that kidn of development can chime in