PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for earbuds

S600MBUSA
Jan 1, 2008, 09:41 PM
I'd like to buy some nice headphones/earbuds for my iPod. Here are my criteria:

-Prefer $110 and under, willing to go up to about $130 if necessary
-Good for listening to mostly rock and pop, no rap/hip-hop
-Suitable for listening to a mix of Apple Lossless, 192k and up bit rate AAC, along with a few 128k AAC/MP3 files
-Sturdy and strong enough for on the go use
-Not too much exaggerated bass

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Edited to add: In-ear models/canalphones are acceptable. I'd like to have a set which block out most external noise; some of the environments I'll be listening in won't always be quiet.

baby duck monge
Jan 2, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have not listened to any of these, but I was just looking at purchasing some so I found a few. I ended up with the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro which are a bit out of your price range (Amazon.com $140), but didn't think I would be truly happy with any of the less expensive models. That being said, here are some that are fairly well regarded in the IEM world:

Etymotic ER6i (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=nosim/?tag=dealnewscom744-20) $75
Ulitimate Ears Super.fi 3 (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206233143) were $50, but are now sold out and linked to a site selling for $80
You can also pick up Shure E2c or SE110 for around $100 just about anywhere. Looking around may find you a lower price.

Surely
Jan 2, 2008, 09:36 AM
I've heard and read excellent things about the v-moda vibes/vibe duos. Great quality for the price (between $100 and $130), and they're stylish. I also like how they fit in your ears, and the wires hang down- as opposed to having to wrap them behind your ears like some (or all?) of the Shure buds.

I'm picking up a pair of the Vibe Duos as soon as I get an iPhone, and I'll be using them for my iPhone and my nano.:cool:

Techguy172
Jan 2, 2008, 10:43 AM
I've heard and read excellent things about the v-moda vibes/vibe duos. Great quality for the price (between $100 and $130), and they're stylish. I also like how they fit in your ears, and the wires hang down- as opposed to having to wrap them behind your ears like some (or all?) of the Shure buds.

I'm picking up a pair of the Vibe Duos as soon as I get an iPhone, and I'll be using them for my iPhone and my nano.:cool:

I second The Vibes although I think they are In-ear.

ergdegdeg
Jan 2, 2008, 10:50 AM
I strongly recommend any of the AKG headphones / earbuds. I am currently using K 324 P in-ears and am extremely happy with them. I've used 2 other models before and I'm definitely going to get AKGs the next time.

Surely
Jan 2, 2008, 10:53 AM
I second The Vibes although I think they are In-ear.

Yeah, you're right, they are in-ear. He asked about earbuds, so I thought of the v-modas. Even so, I'd rather have them than regular earbuds. I find that earbuds always tend to slip out a little, and I'm always readjusting them to tighten the fit. It really annoying when I'm on the eliptical...

SpookTheHamster
Jan 2, 2008, 12:04 PM
I whole-heartedly recommend Jays dJays. They cost $99 and if you get some triple-flanges the sound beats pretty much anything under $500.

Super.fi 3s aren't worth looking at as they really can't compare to other phones in or out of Ultimate Ears' range. ER-6s sound very 'clinical', there's very little bass or feeling in them. Shure e2s are too bass heavy and muddy.

My last headphones were a set of Shure e3s, which I loved. But when I got my (cheaper) dJays I was blown away by them.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Headphones_Earphones/product/Jays_d-JAYS_Micro_Armature_Earphones.html

The reviews say it all, 10 reviews all with 5/5.

SneakerFreak
Jan 2, 2008, 12:52 PM
I would also vote for the Ultimate Ears 5 Pro - excellent and means you do not have to worry about the new lower maximum volume imposed on EU models

mrwizardno2
Jan 2, 2008, 12:56 PM
Last I saw, you could get the Super 5 fi's for less than 150. They may be in your range, if you look online you can find them super cheap. Try google products.

bloodycape
Jan 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
Mylar one X3.

S600MBUSA
Jan 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
Keep the recommendations coming please. Nice stuff so far. I had done some preliminary research before asking this question and I'm seeing some familiar names and models.

My initial post has been edited with additional information.

Killyp
Jan 2, 2008, 04:14 PM
How about the Bang & Olufsen A8s?

I'm always surprised how good mine sound. Compared to my Sennheiser cans (which should sound better for what they are), the A8s always have much more natural mids and highs, and whilst the bass is a little rolled off, it's still present and 'there', just not pronounced. Always better to have too little bass than too much methinks...

The only issue is they might be a *bit* beyond your pricerange. You might be able to stretch though, I believe they're something like $150.

macbattle
Jan 2, 2008, 05:04 PM
Sennheiser CX500 they provide what you are looking for.

S600MBUSA
Jan 3, 2008, 06:46 PM
Btt

iSaint
Jan 3, 2008, 07:00 PM
The low-end Shure headphones are great headphones. You can find good prices on eBay. There are good deals on the discontinued e2c's, and the new lines as well. You may even be able to step up a level or two by shopping around.

Great bass, good in-ear fit with several sizes and types of ear buds. I'm surprised there hasn't been another Shure mention yet!

Canerican
Jan 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm a drummer and I have used IEMs alot. The differences between IEMs are ultimately not that great as they are usually quite evenly spec'd. For under $150 you can probably only afford single driver models, which are pretty good anyway. Going up from there you get into fancy duel or triple driver models. There are other differences, but it starts to get complicated if I get into them.

I would go with Shure IEMs, they come with a good mix of accessories, and they can be easily repaired. They also have a good warrantee and great custom customer service.

I picked up a pair of Skull Candy headphones for my iPod from Target for $15 they look great and really sound amazing.