PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 keyboard swap

prvt.donut
Jan 2, 2008, 01:03 AM
I just bought a nice little G4 powerbook 1Ghz Alu model, and want to change the keyboard for a Japanese language one as I happened to get a powerbook that has a US keyboard. (I live in Tokyo, so typing in Japanese is useful for me).

As being as I am changing the keyboard, I wonder if it is possible to mount one of those newer backlit powerbook keyboards???

I'm sure most people have wondered this, must be physically possible as the keyboard is the same size isn't it???

Also, there is one scratch on the case (not really deep or bad, I just like it to be perfect), anyone know any good creams or techniques for polishing them out on these babies?

Hockeypuck
Jan 2, 2008, 04:58 AM
They are the same size, but the backlight is powered by circuitry on the top case (or may be contained in the top case, depending on your model). The backlight wouldn't work.

prvt.donut
Jan 2, 2008, 06:05 AM
Wouldn't work immediately, but perhaps with a bit of electronic persuasion it could be perhaps powered?

Although the brightness is adjustable, which implies direct motherboard type control connections to the power, so not just a power supply issue.

I guess people who wanted the backlit keyboard just got a newer powerbook!

At least now I know what can't be done!:(