Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cworsley4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I got Call of Duty 2 for Christmas and it has been very laggy. i do not have the setting all that high but they are higher than the default, and they graphics are still not that great .is there any alternitave to have to lowering the graphics, like i said the game already does not look that great and i would hate to lower them any more. give me some tips guys.

Cecil

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz
2 gig ram and 256mb of VRAM
It is on leopard running a external screen at 1920x1600 (the res might be to much ???)
( The game sould be running fine with these specs, right?) :apple:
P.S. - I had the demo running before i got the real version and i ran much smoother

skeley69

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
England, UK
hey cworsley4,

i got a new 2.2 black macbook for xmas 2GB ram. i too got call of duty 2 and it runs really smooth on mine. i left the settings on optimal performance; most settings on medium and resolution at 800x600. havnt had any problems yet love the game.

1. u running tiger or leopard?
2. have you downloaded the updates for COD 2?

- ali

cworsley4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Os

I am running the leopard os with all of the updates and i have not cheacked for COD 2 updates are there any????:apple:

skeley69

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
England, UK
yes theres an update for COD 2 to version 1.3 you can find it here

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=19290

i never played it before hand as once i installed the game for the first time i downloaded the update straight away. i cant see why you should be having problems under a macbook pro. i would definitely lower the resolution from 1920x1600 to 1024x768 maybe?

this should help

- ali

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
There have been many posts with this problem, sadly the udpate will not fix it. The problem is with an udpate to the MBP back in august which "fixed" graphics problems. This however made them worse and apple did release an update to fix this however it never fixed it properly for cod 2. I have found a temporary fix for it until apple fixes it which i doubt they will. However, if you set the max fps in the game to 45 or 55 the stuttering will stop and the game will run smoothly. too bad you cant experience the true MBP speed since apple messed up. the games run perfectly on windows (but this temporary fix will work i have done it myself, look online for how to se max fps).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There have been many posts with this problem, sadly the udpate will not fix it. The problem is with an udpate to the MBP back in august which "fixed" graphics problems. This however made them worse and apple did release an update to fix this however it never fixed it properly for cod 2. I have found a temporary fix for it until apple fixes it which i doubt they will. However, if you set the max fps in the game to 45 or 55 the stuttering will stop and the game will run smoothly. too bad you cant experience the true MBP speed since apple messed up. the games run perfectly on windows (but this temporary fix will work i have done it myself, look online for how to se max fps).

Good to hear you have a solution, but you have to keep in mind Apple did not made COD2. There are plenty of games that runs great on MBP. So the problem with COD2 is unlikely to be caused by Apple, but more by the company that made the port.

edonetampa

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
I had the same issue with COD2 on the mac, back when it came out. Single player was so horrible that I never made it to multi-player and online play.

I am currently running this game, and COD4, under bootcamp in XP. You can pick up COD2 for windows pretty cheap, probably less than $20. And if you have issues on windows side, no matter which version you upgrade to, try going into options, under graphics, and change your directX setting to version 7, as opposed to 8. This will generally help. Did this on my old pc (currently being used by 3rd graders at a local elementary school) with an older card, and did the same on my iMac running bootcamp. Helps out tremendously. The choppiness and lag are gone almost instantly.

Good luck!

Humanlike

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
I've been googlin around and it seems that limiting the fps is currently the best option to play Call Of Duty 2 in Leopard. i could just get the windows version, but i just do not want to install windows on my MBP. For me all the problems related to computers arise with windows and i just dont have the will or time to go to that frustrating place.

If anyone has come up with a new solution how to get Call Of Duty 2 to run smooth in Leopard, then please let me know. the fps limit is not so fun.

thanks,

MichalM.Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2006
damn it

2 weaks ago i got reply from Aspyr. "After updating to 10.5.2 and Leopard graphic update problem is fixed" Sadly.. problem wasn't fixed and this going nowhere. Plese anyone with this problem, send mail to Aspyr, that they should do something about it.

sven-

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
I know this an old topic, but it might still be useful for people who like to play the Mac version of Call of Duty 2.

I've dug into this whole Call of Duty 2 lag on newer Macs problem, and from what i've tried and found out, it comes down to this:

First of all, the problem has nothing to do with Tiger or Leopard. The problem is caused by nVidia GeForce graphic cards. All the Macs with graphic cards from the 8xxx or 9xxx series from nVidia won't be able to run the Mac version Call of Duty 2 properly. Ofcourse, under Windows it works fine, but under Mac OS X there is something causing an always existing lag (even in the main menu it's visible when moving the mouse). As far as i know this is a nVidia only problem. ATI cards are not affected and run the game like it's supposed to.

The following cards work fine:
- Intel X3100 and GMA950
- ATI HD2xxx series (3xxx and 4xxx series not tested yet, next week i'll test the 4870 card in my Mac Pro)
- ATI X1600

I haven't tested each system, but i believe the older nVidia 7xxx series work fine as well.

So, i hope this information clarifies some things.

sven-

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
Today i tested the ATI HD 4870 (finally received this upgrade for my Mac Pro early 2008 today) and the results are very good. Call of Duty 2 plays really smooth, i've maxed out the settings at 1680x1050 and i can play without lag again. YEAH!

So, I guess that the ATI HD 4850 in the new iMac should be capable of playing Cod2 without lag as well.

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
Cod2 Lag Solved!!!!

I have been following this problem since i got my 2.4 MBP...i love COD2 and have been using bootcamp to use it but with every OSX update, GFX card update, or frickin' keyboard update, i've checked to see if it solved the COD2-8600gt MBP lag......

AND FINALLY, APPLE HAS HEARD US!!!!!! or something....

the latest MBP smc update (1.3) FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!

seriously....i might cry...

nepolean77

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
Ram settings

It may be a Ram issue or screen size it should say on the back of the game cover what the requirements are,your computer stats should play the game fine,you could try going into the game options and lowering a few things to see if it runs better.

sven-

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
I have been following this problem since i got my 2.4 MBP...i love COD2 and have been using bootcamp to use it but with every OSX update, GFX card update, or frickin' keyboard update, i've checked to see if it solved the COD2-8600gt MBP lag......

seriously....i might cry...
Damn, seriously? That would be awesome! My friend has the MBP with 8600M GT, so i'll call him up and ask him to try again. I'll keep you posted.

It may be a Ram issue or screen size it should say on the back of the game cover what the requirements are,your computer stats should play the game fine,you could try going into the game options and lowering a few things to see if it runs better.
As i explained earlier, it has NOTHING to do with used settings.

Brad Oliver

macrumors regular
May 14, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
All the Macs with graphic cards from the 8xxx or 9xxx series from nVidia won't be able to run the Mac version Call of Duty 2 properly.

Yes, that's correct. The problem is specific to the Nvidia G80/G90-class cards. It should be "better" in 10.5.7, but it's not yet perfect. We're investigating a patch to try and work around it once and for all.

sven-

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
Yes, that's correct. The problem is specific to the Nvidia G80/G90-class cards. It should be "better" in 10.5.7, but it's not yet perfect. We're investigating a patch to try and work around it once and for all.
That's fantastic news to hear. So i take it that you're working for Aspyr since you're able to tell us about the development of a patch?

robegian

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2005
Trieste, Italy
with every OSX update, GFX card update, or frickin' keyboard update, i've checked to see if it solved the COD2-8600gt MBP lag......

Damn — I still have the problem with COD2 on my 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.5, 512M GeForce 8600M GT equipped MacBook Pro, and although it features SMC version 1.27f3 I can't find a way to upgrade it to version 1.3 or 1.4 (when I try to upgrade, the installer warns me that I don't need this upgrade...).

Does anybody know a workaround?

P.S. In this page my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008) with model identifier "MacBookPro4,1" is listed as eligible for the SMC upgrade.

Last edited:

barbararhea

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
I like to play aggressive, but when others have a better connection I always stand by, because they only kill the rush. Basically, a good strategy is to change your style of play around what is your connection while playing.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Damn — I still have the problem with COD2 on my 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.5, 512M GeForce 8600M GT equipped MacBook Pro, and although it features SMC version 1.27f3 I can't find a way to upgrade it to version 1.3 or 1.4 (when I try to upgrade, the installer warns me that I don't need this upgrade...).

Does anybody know a workaround?

P.S. In this page my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008) with model identifier "MacBookPro4,1" is listed as eligible for the SMC upgrade.

COD2 is famously NOT supported on certain graphics cards, and Aspyr did little or nothing to fix that, based on the excuse that the game is "old".

SIMPLE fix: select the main app icon, do a "get info" on it and check the box "Open using Rosetta".

The problem should be gone now. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.