PDA

View Full Version : screwy Powerbook Screen: Fading and streaking

Jopling
Jan 2, 2008, 11:27 AM
For a while I have been experiencing this weird freezing and then the screen fades to white, to black and syan colors . This could usually be fixed by shaking the screen, but now it has come to the point where i need to hold my hand on the top right of the screen to keep the screen from freezing like this. Is this a common issue on old powerbooks? Is there any way I can crack this thing open and fix the problem? i opened the comp last night and on the motherboard no cables seemed to be loose. I think its inbside the screen and or around the hinges. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 17 inch powerbook.

stylistik
Jan 2, 2008, 11:54 AM
I too been having the same problem on my 17in powerbook. I have search for an answer with no luck. for me i been having to smack the side of the screen to get rid the lines but it'll reappear. I hope someone on here has some suggestion...

Built
Jan 3, 2008, 02:41 AM
I am a new Macbook owner but wanted to chime in here.

My previous laptop was a Dell Inspiron 600m. I had it for almost 4 years, and twice the video card fried. The first time, the screen just never came back on. Dell's At Home service came over and replaced the video card.

In October, the video card fried again and I got the fading and streaking you describe. You might want to check your video card.

Jopling
Feb 4, 2008, 10:57 PM
I took the computer apart and there were no loose cables. I noticed that when i hold the screen down its useable and also if the screen brightness is lower it is less likely to streak. This makes me thing that the graphics card is fried and that keeping the temperature down is the best solution.

JWest
Feb 4, 2008, 11:39 PM
It sounds like a grounding issue to me. Is it still under warranty? You could always just go have it repaired professionally.

schneman
Feb 8, 2008, 04:48 PM
My G4 17in Powerbook display has a very similar issue. It works fine as long as it is at a right angle to the keyboard. When I tilt it back the colors fade and dark areas appear at the bottom of the screen.

Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks

Jopling
Feb 22, 2008, 04:48 PM
I've determined that its some sort of heat/circulation issue. When the brightness is down low the computer is less likely to streak. Also when I push down on the screen I assume its allowing a little more are to flow in or *something*. I've been told that this is a fairly common problem and that the video cards fry over time. You'd have to get a new mobo to fix it. At this point they go for $500-1000 from what I've seen, so you might be better off getting a new computer.

n0otro
Feb 22, 2008, 05:10 PM
Does it look anything like this?
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/n0otro/monitor.jpg

That is a picture of my G4 1.5ghz 15" powerbook.
Sometimes the lines across the screen are multicolored, sometimes they are black and white, sometimes its all white, it really varies. Generally it happens when I open up my powerbook. I have to play with the bezel and wiggle my monitor around to get it to "catch". I've also found that putting pressure directly on the left side of the screen next to the left side alleviates the problem. I usually try to wedge a piece of cardboard in between the bezel and the screen and that temporarily fixes the problem.

This appears to be a very common problem among powerbook owners over at the apple discussion forums, unfortunately apple won't recognize the problem and nobody seems to have a real fix.

If you go into system prefs --> displays --> select "Color LCD" and choose "open profile" --> scroll down until you find the 'mmod' tag
what information does it show?
Mine has:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C20
Serial: 00000000
Manufacture date: B87B8F78

It seems like alot of the people that are having these problems have the same model # so it seems to be a poorly manufactured piece of hardware.

Hope this sheds a little light

Jopling
Mar 27, 2008, 12:09 AM
Does it look anything like this?
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/n0otro/monitor.jpg

That is a picture of my G4 1.5ghz 15" powerbook.
Sometimes the lines across the screen are multicolored, sometimes they are black and white, sometimes its all white, it really varies. Generally it happens when I open up my powerbook. I have to play with the bezel and wiggle my monitor around to get it to "catch". I've also found that putting pressure directly on the left side of the screen next to the left side alleviates the problem. I usually try to wedge a piece of cardboard in between the bezel and the screen and that temporarily fixes the problem.

This appears to be a very common problem among powerbook owners over at the apple discussion forums, unfortunately apple won't recognize the problem and nobody seems to have a real fix.

If you go into system prefs --> displays --> select "Color LCD" and choose "open profile" --> scroll down until you find the 'mmod' tag
what information does it show?
Mine has:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C20
Serial: 00000000
Manufacture date: B87B8F78

It seems like alot of the people that are having these problems have the same model # so it seems to be a poorly manufactured piece of hardware.

Hope this sheds a little light

Sorry to take so long to reply. I rarely use the PB anymore unless I am on the road for more than a week. It basically looks like that, always a slightly different effect, sometimes the colors get inverted.

Ras-x
May 28, 2008, 03:12 AM
Ok, well I'm experiencing for the first time a similar problem. I have a 15" G4 Powerbook, 10.4.11. Out of the blue today the screen suddenly inverted it's colours. I ran Techtool Pro, Disk Utility - nothing came up as a problem. After reading about some similar issues I went into Universal Access expecting that the Black on White switch may have been accidentally activated. Unfortunately, this was not the case, it was still on Black on White (the correct default setting). I then switched to White on Black and now have a very close approximation to the correct colours - however, this should not be the case.

I would be grateful for any clues on how to deal with this issue (hoping that it's not the video card).

e12a
May 28, 2008, 03:19 AM
easy way to see if it's the GPU is to plug it into an external monitor. If it replicates the issue on the external, then for sure its the GPU. If not, it is either the LVDS cable or panel itself. Ideally you want to replace the cheaper first, so try the cable first.

my bet is on the LVDS/LCD panel, rather than a video card/GPU issue, at least for this (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/n0otro/monitor.jpg)

Ras-x
May 28, 2008, 06:54 AM
easy way to see if it's the GPU is to plug it into an external monitor. If it replicates the issue on the external, then for sure its the GPU. If not, it is either the LVDS cable or panel itself. Ideally you want to replace the cheaper first, so try the cable first.

my bet is on the LVDS/LCD panel, rather than a video card/GPU issue, at least for this (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/n0otro/monitor.jpg)

Thanks e12a - No, using an external monitor does not replicate the problem, therefore I think you are close to the answer - just hoping it's the cable. Cheers,
rob

Jopling
Jul 29, 2008, 01:55 PM
I ordered a replacement LVDS cable. I had popped open the computer before and it didn't look damaged, but you never know. The computer has always worked when I plug in an external display. Holding the screen down could also be putting pressure on the cable and making the loose connection/spliced part reconnect and restore picture. I'll keep you guys posted.

heidimom
May 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
This sounds like the same problem mine is having, it seems to be getting worse. Finding the right angle to put the screen at, no longer works.
I now have to pinch the left side of the screen just to see what I'm doing.
I can actually let go and type away, and the typing all registers, I just can't see as I type beneath the frozen screen, until I pinch the left side of the screen. (then I see all my typos... it's weird how when you can't see it, how many more mistakes you make)

someone wrote:
... it is either the LVDS cable or panel itself. Ideally you want to replace the cheaper first, so try the cable first.
my bet is on the LVDS/LCD panel, rather than a video card/GPU issue, at least for this....

I'm hoping this is it.
Does anyone know how and where to buy this part, and to be sure I have the right one. Mac store just wants me to bring in, and If it's just a cable switch, I'm hoping I can do it myself to save money. I've found that my new imovie won't work on this G4 anymore and don't want to invest too much if it's on the way out.
~thanks

Ras-x
May 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
Well, in my case it did turn out to be the screen, and I located a new screen on ebay at less than 1/3rd the new price Apple wanted to sell it to me for. Next Byte in Melbourne did a great job at a great price replacing it. It actually worked out cheaper than a card, but dearer than cables. Have a Tech check it, it's the only safe way to make a decision about what to do.

mikes70mustang
May 11, 2009, 07:38 PM
its trying to kill itself, it wants to be replaced lol

chhello
Dec 23, 2009, 06:56 AM
me too!!!
ive got a pb 15"
also intermittently the screen goes screwy. only on mine its the whole screen, different colors
for now tapping it and changing the angle works, but it seems to get worse
any help?
also if it is (i hope) to be that lsvd (?) cable, where can i get one?
thanks
c

GenesisTruth
Feb 6, 2013, 08:28 PM
My faithful MacBookPro 17" has survived 3 falls and another big fall, still works, but is really ragged looking. Lately the same symptoms as described at root of this thread started. My solution is to get a very strong rubber band (the thick kind) and stretch it horizontally at very top of screen. Then I take apart a small Bull Clip and use the black part to slip it (tall-wise) under the rubber band and move it around to stop the symptoms. Works like a charm! Just make sure you remove the clip part before closing the cover. Save money and donate it to your local animal shelter.

g4manimac
Feb 7, 2013, 12:33 AM
Dang over 3 years later FINALLY a solution to this problem!:confused: