PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on what to do with this PowerBook?

Dimwhit
Jan 2, 2008, 12:10 PM
I have a PowerBook G3/400 (Pismo, I believe). The clutch is gone, so the display is loose and flickers in and out (find a good position, and it works fine). I'm trying to get rid of it, but I'm not sure it's even worth the hassle. If it can be fixed (and the Mac store in the area said they can't get the parts), it would probably cost me more that the computer is worth. Not sure it's worth it for parts, either. Even the batteries for it are dead and won't hold a charge.

At the same time, I hate the thought of throwing it in the trash.

Any suggestions? It is worth putting on eBay? Any guesses as to what it might be worth?

livingfortoday
Jan 2, 2008, 12:15 PM
You could sell it on eBay, but I think you'd probably get $50-$100 for it. More parted out.

SuperCompu2
Jan 2, 2008, 12:22 PM
You could scrap the built in LCD and hook up an external monitor, and maybe make a sort of iMac G5ish media center gizmo pismo? Could be a fun project, maybe even a touch screen mod? who knows. the possibilities are endless.

also spare parts have a decent market, the LCD alone would probably bring in about 100 bucks if in good condition, granted the problems aren't in the panel itself.

Dimwhit
Jan 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hmm...the project sounds fun, but I'd have no place for it. But maybe I'll just sell it as-is. $50-$100 is all I was hoping to get.

Thanks!

ChrisA
Jan 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hmm...the project sounds fun, but I'd have no place for it. But maybe I'll just sell it as-is. $50-$100 is all I was hoping to get.

Thanks!

I'd have several uses for it

1) Connect it to my TV and use it for things like iPhoto slide shows

2) It is fast enough to be used at a home web server and the machine, unlike the new Intel Macs uses very little power so I could leave it on 24x7

I'll gladly Send you $50 for it. Send a PM.

uNext
Jan 2, 2008, 06:43 PM
CHRISA

Smart cookie
i would do the same thing.

Dimwhit
Jan 2, 2008, 07:17 PM
Interesting ideas. Never thought of those.

ickystay
Jan 3, 2008, 12:46 AM
I mostly use mine as a dvd player.