PDA

View Full Version : External HD question

markjones05
Oct 7, 2003, 12:45 PM
I have a 120 gb LaCie external firewire HD. Can I install OSX on it? what would be the advantages/ disadvantages of doing so. I already use it to backup my G4 and to store my editing projects on. If i install OSX on it will i be able to boot up on other computers that only have 9 installed? Will installing it on my extrnal effect any of the files i already have saved on it? How would i boot up using it? would i be able to run it ona windows machine? Sorry for the excess of questions especially the last one which i asume the answer is no, but i was just thinking about whether having it installed on my external and bootable from my external was possible and all of these other questions starting popping into my head. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Mark

Gokhan
Oct 7, 2003, 06:01 PM
you may be able to run it on a windows machine if you use pc 6 which lets you run windows on a mac, and you can select what you want to boot from if you hold alt down during start up and then just choose the external drive shown to boot from it.