PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an iPod hard drive

prostuff1
Jan 2, 2008, 09:35 PM
My 4th Gen color screen iPod has died on me. I had the tech at the apple store confirm what I already knew was a problem with the hard drive.

If you have a hard drive for one of these iPods please let me know.

Thanks

MacBass
Jan 3, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have a 20 GB drive that I bought for a friend's 4G B&W iPod. I installed it, but the mobo for the iPod was bad.

mxpiazza
Jan 3, 2008, 02:57 PM
i have a 30GB HD pulled from an 5G iPod video. Last i tested it, it was in good working condition. make an offer, i really don't want to put it on eBay, I was just about to post it on here and saw your post.

It is a Toshiba MK3008GAL.

email/pm me if you are interested. thanks.

davedecay
Jan 3, 2008, 04:23 PM
a hard drive from a video iPod won't work in a 4G iPod.

zephead
Jan 3, 2008, 04:33 PM
iFixit.com (http://www.ifixit.com/Products/iPod-4th-Gen/93) has a lot of iPod parts. :)

bloodycape
Jan 3, 2008, 05:16 PM
If you really want to do something cool, and expand the life of your battery and ipod even more. How about going out and purchasing a 16gb cf card, which can be had for 80usd at newegg(around the same price for a 30gb hd), and you now you have something that will save battery and be more durable. If you want more space last newegg also has 32gb cf card for 180-190usd you can use that for your ipod also.

techlover828
Jan 3, 2008, 05:27 PM
If you really want to do something cool, and expand the life of your battery and ipod even more. How about going out and purchasing a 16gb cf card, which can be had for 80usd at newegg(around the same price for a 30gb hd), and you now you have something that will save battery and be more durable. If you want more space last newegg also has 32gb cf card for 180-190usd you can use that for your ipod also.

would that work?

Scarlet Fever
Jan 3, 2008, 05:34 PM
would that work?

it will, but you'll have to make your own adapter for it. it'll fit in the Mini, though.

techlover828
Jan 3, 2008, 05:39 PM
it will, but you'll have to make your own adapter for it. it'll fit in the Mini, though.

could you fit and connect two? 64gb of flash storage would be good stuff

bloodycape
Jan 3, 2008, 07:52 PM

Really I didn't know the regular ipod needed an adapted I have seen a few people do it to their 3g and 4g and I don't remember a mention of an adapter.

Well I am not sure if you can do two 64gb but you could do 1 x 64gb SSD HD but that is fairly expensive at the moment. As I said you can do one 32gb CF card for about 190 usd and there you go. And if you are really daring you could also do this once you add a CF card. http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-INTERNAL-Bluetooth-Capability-To-Your-iPod/ This site also says you can get a HD to CD adapter for 15 bucks of ebay.

prostuff1
Jan 3, 2008, 11:25 PM
I have a 20 GB drive that I bought for a friend's 4G B&W iPod. I installed it, but the mobo for the iPod was bad.

How much are you looking to get for it?

a hard drive from a video iPod won't work in a 4G iPod.

I kinda guessed that but just out of curiosity why?

bloodycape
Jan 4, 2008, 01:33 AM
How much are you looking to get for it?

I kinda guessed that but just out of curiosity why?

If I am not mistaken it has something to do with the connectors.

macbattle
Jan 4, 2008, 03:02 AM

That is the ********* idea I have read in a long time. If it was a good idea Apple would have done it in the first place.

Scarlet Fever
Jan 4, 2008, 03:48 AM
If I am not mistaken it has something to do with the connectors.

you're right. The older iPods used a pin connection, while the new ones use a ribbon cable. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the iPod Photo had ribbon connections as well.

davedecay
Jan 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
This is turning into a discussion, but up to the video iPod use the same pin connector type drives, including photo/color iPods.

I've sent a PM to the OP regarding where he can buy drives with a 1 year warranty at a reasonable price.