PDA

View Full Version : Apple.com Order Status: Order Received?

Kalvin
Oct 7, 2003, 02:11 PM
I just ordered my first Mac, a 12" 1 Ghz Powerbook early Friday morning from Apple.com. My order status is still stuck on "Order Received". Is it typical to take this long to get to the Open stage? They've already charged/preauthorized my credit card, so I wish something would happen soon. I realize I'm a little late in the game to expect my powerbook in 7-10 business days though.

Yeah, I know...EASY SOLUTION: Call Apple! :D

Silver
Oct 7, 2003, 02:49 PM
I feel your pain.

I ordered my new 15" Al Powerbook over a while ago, and it spend 5 days in "Open", then "Shipped" 2 days after that.
That was Saturday.

Once I got my email saying it had shipped I went to Airborne to check its status, but it came back as not a valid tracking number. I figgured it was the weekend and wouldnt update till Monday. It updated monday saying the tracking number was valid but it could not be tracked. Panicked I called them, and it turns out Apple is so back ordered on them they are shipping them as they make them,... mine is comming from Singapore.
To add insult to injury, this morning it went back to being an invalid tracking number. :confused:

So much for 2 Day shipping.

Kalvin
Oct 7, 2003, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear that, Silver.

Maybe I'm just being a bit too impatient. My situation could be alot worse (and may, in fact, turn out that way). I've used Windows forever and I'm just so anxious for something different. I've never been good at waiting and right now I am agonizing over how many dead pixels I might get.

Hear's to our new powerbooks w/ pristine displays!

jelloshotsrule
Oct 7, 2003, 03:05 PM
don't feel too bad... my dual 2ghz has been "open" for well over a month. ;)

i think sometimes it just takes more time to process... if you catch it at a busy time or whatever....

waiting is "fun" eh? ;)

ps. checking on it 20 times a day doesn't seem to speed it up. hah

mrjamin
Oct 7, 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
checking on it 20 times a day doesn't seem to speed it up. hah

i went for that approach when i ordered my iBook. and no, it didn't work

LimeLite
Oct 7, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Kalvin
I just ordered my first Mac, a 12" 1 Ghz Powerbook early Friday morning from Apple.com. My order status is still stuck on "Order Received". Is it typical to take this long to get to the Open stage? They've already charged/preauthorized my credit card, so I wish something would happen soon. I realize I'm a little late in the game to expect my powerbook in 7-10 business days though.

Yeah, I know...EASY SOLUTION: Call Apple! :D
Just out of curiosity, did you get anything custom on it? A different hard drive, more RAM? Custom orders take longer, but I'm not sure if the delay would be in the order stage in that case.

Kalvin
Oct 7, 2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I ordered a completely "bone stock" 12" Powerbook. I thought about some of the BTO options, but in the end decided against them.

Kalvin
Oct 7, 2003, 10:07 PM
Haha! My order status is now open w/ an expected ship date of on/before 10/21. Sorry for the worthless thread though guys. :(

spinor
Oct 8, 2003, 10:33 AM
Take Apple's shipping claims with a grain of salt. A few days ago Apple emailed saying that my package had shipped, and Airborne still isn't tracking my package. So I called up Airborne, and this is evidently how it works:

The Apple Store gives you an expected shipping date. Now, contrary to reason, this is not the date when the computer will actually ship to you. Rather, this is when the manufacturer in Taiwan puts together a shipment and sends it to Apple in the US.

When this shipment happens to go out, Apple sends you an email telling you it has shipped, and gives you a tracking number -- which at this point is useless, because it hasn't actually shipped to you yet and the tracking number won't be good for anything until it does. The shipping is evidently done by some affiliate of Airborne, and as such Airborne makes no claims about how long it will take to reach its destination. In particular, at this point your choice of shipping method is irrelevant... it's still going to take a few days, maybe a week.

[Scouring the emails Apple sent you should turn up a second routing number, though it's not called that -- this is the tracking number for the shipment to Apple, and will at least give you an idea of when its moved through customs, etc.]

Eventually it will reach Apple in the US, where it will be sent out using whatever shipping method you chose. At this point, the tracking number is actually good for something (sort of... Airborne's tracking system doesn't really seem as on-the-ball as their competitors), and which method of shipping you selected has some effect.

As a point of reference, my powerbook evidently left Taiwan on Friday October 3rd. It still hasn't made it to Apple's distribution center in the US, but with 2-day delivery I'm hoping (perhaps irrationally) it will show up on October 13th.

Kalvin
Oct 8, 2003, 10:58 AM
Well, mine actually "shipped" yesterday from Taiwan with an expected arrival date of 8/13. I opted for the basic free shipping so I wont get my hopes up (I'm lying) that it will arrive anytime soon.

dr_lha
Oct 8, 2003, 02:48 PM
I got my confirmation that my 12" PB shipped today via Fedex. When I went on the Fedex tracking system it told me it's currently in a shipping center in Taiwan, so it looks like Apple are shipping them direct from the factory to my office, rather than routing through Apple headquarters.

Fedex estimate it'll turn up on Monday BTW. Fingers crossed.