PDA

View Full Version : Netflix to Deliver Movies Directly to TV

WildCowboy
Jan 3, 2008, 12:58 AM
Look out Apple TV and iTunes movie rentals...Netflix and LG are partnering to launch a set-top box to deliver downloadable movie rentals.

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/02/financial/f180500S94.DTL)

Eidorian
Jan 3, 2008, 01:01 AM
Now this has my interest.

I'm not up to buying anime like I did back in college. :rolleyes:

EricNau
Jan 3, 2008, 01:07 AM
I wonder what it'll look like. ...No where near as nice as the Apple TV, I'm sure. ;)

This definitely supports the rumors of iTunes rentals and Apple TV updates at MacWorld.

MacBytes
Jan 3, 2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Netflix to Deliver Movies Directly to TV (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080103114407)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

spazzcat
Jan 3, 2008, 10:49 AM
This would make my year...getting tried of waiting to netflix to mail me movies. But only if they are in HD

longofest
Jan 3, 2008, 11:05 AM
This would make my year...getting tried of waiting to netflix to mail me movies. But only if they are in HD

Blockbuster Online is awesome, but it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out with iTunes rentals. They will still have to expand their catalog considerably for it to really matter.

kornyboy
Jan 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

HD is a must, but I think that Netflix has a good customer base to pull this off. It will be interesting to see how the competition with iTunes turns out.

balamw
Jan 3, 2008, 11:13 AM
Don't forget Amazon Unbox/TiVo!

B

evilyankeefan
Jan 3, 2008, 11:24 AM
Bummer that Apple and Netflix didn't partner. Would have been best of both worlds. But 2008 has just started. Who knows what it might bring.

jackc
Jan 3, 2008, 11:30 AM
Good competition for Apple, they've got their work cut out.

greendragon
Jan 3, 2008, 12:03 PM
i think apple is behind the 8 ball on this movie rental-apple tv thing... best to align with some company...

angelwatt
Jan 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
Downloads are definitely the future for movies, that's why I don't think there'll be a winner in the Blu-Ray/HD DVD format war. I see them both taking a dive. Apple is in a good place to take advantage of this download age for movies, but I'm glad they'll have competition. The competition will lead to innovation and a better user experience. I just hope downloads don't take a day to complete, that's the biggest hurdle I see, though streaming offers a partial solution to this.

howard
Jan 3, 2008, 12:08 PM
i just wish there watch instantly feature worked with mac.

I emailed them to ask for that feature for mac, if any of you want it I would encourage you to contact them as well.

as for the this... the idea sounds great, but lets see how it works in practice.

OhEsTen
Jan 3, 2008, 12:13 PM

Thats what I was thinking when reading the article. I love NetFlix, but that peeves me that they still don't support the Mac in terms of their "watch instantly" feature.

I wonder what the computer requirements will be for this set-top box.... will it use a web browser? Or will it be another Windows only deal?

OhEsTen
Jan 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
i think apple is behind the 8 ball on this movie rental-apple tv thing... best to align with some company...

I think you're right, but I don't think it's Apple's fault. It's very clear that the movie industry is reluctant to partner with Apple. They see their music dominance as a bad thing (which it's not for us customers), and they don't want to loose control of the pricing scheme.

This whole thing is unfortunate, because if the movie industry partners with everyone but Apple, then we'll be left out in the cold since these services will no doubt use some sort of Windows-centric format.

Currently, I think Apple's innovation is stellar. It always has been whether they've had competition or not. I just think they need to ramp up their QC.

blindzero
Jan 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
Netflix's movie streaming software be "mac compatible" but it currently doesn't work on a mac.

mainstreetmark
Jan 3, 2008, 12:22 PM

I emailed them to ask for that feature for mac, if any of you want it I would encourage you to contact them as well.

as for the this... the idea sounds great, but lets see how it works in practice.

Not having a reliable internet connection when I'm home, I'd be happy with a download+watch system. Instant-on might mean you could loose your movie feed right when Dr. Malcolm Crow noticed that his wife dropped his wedding ring, which suddenly wasn't on his finger. THEN what are you supposed to do?

Stampyhead
Jan 3, 2008, 12:32 PM
Woah, dang. Apple had better sign up a few mores studios than Fox and Disney if they want to compete with this.

runplaysleeprun
Jan 3, 2008, 12:32 PM
Competition spurs innovation. This is a good thing.

MarcelV
Jan 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
If it currently doesn't work with a Mac, how would they support the iPod. If you can't carry it with you on a plane or so, the market will be only limited. And of all portable players out there, the iPod is by far the most used. Not be able to support that is a huge issue.

And if they use Play For Sure, with all the current issues, how can they make it as seamless as Apple can do?

drewyboy
Jan 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
Downloads are definitely the future for movies, that's why I don't think there'll be a winner in the Blu-Ray/HD DVD format war. I see them both taking a dive. Apple is in a good place to take advantage of this download age for movies, but I'm glad they'll have competition. The competition will lead to innovation and a better user experience. I just hope downloads don't take a day to complete, that's the biggest hurdle I see, though streaming offers a partial solution to this.

I totally agree. I read an article written by Micheal Bay..the director of Transformers who said the only reason M$ took HD-DVD's side was so that none of them would win. He said that M$ wants both to fail so that they can succeed with digital downloads. Mr. Bay also went on to say that he wanted his movie to be released in both formats and had a preference towards Blu-Ray cuz they had to dumb down his movie to fit HD-DVD but M$ pushed it's way in to making sure it was only released HD-DVD. It makes sense too. M$ wants Sony to loose at anything and everything :(

slffl
Jan 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
How about they work on streaming movies to the Mac? I wouldn't need a STB if I could stream to a Mac.

bdkennedy1
Jan 3, 2008, 12:49 PM
If this new service sucks as bad as the quality of the disks when they arrive at my door, then I don't see this as being an issue to Apple.

ribbonthecat
Jan 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
Apple needs to hurry up and make their own damn TV.

F.D.
Jan 3, 2008, 12:56 PM
Oh joy, yet another ****ing box.

DeadEye686
Jan 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
If this new service sucks as bad as the quality of the disks when they arrive at my door, then I don't see this as being an issue to Apple.

Heh. I've had Netflix for going on 3 years now and I have had 1 disk (out of several hundred) that has arrived unplayable. Since I live in the same city as my depot, I also get my disks very fast. I've been using "Watch Instantly" more and more over the past few months using Fusion and enjoy it, although I wish the selection was broader. It does have a lot of documentaries (partly because of Netflix's publishing company, Red Envelope) which I don't mind watching on a computer rather than my HDTV. If the price is fair (it'd have to be pretty cheap unless they built in some more features than just streaming movies from Netflix), then I'd buy this in a second.

gugy
Jan 3, 2008, 12:59 PM
This is cool, but I'll wait and see what it turns out to be.

AppleTV needs to follow the same path. I wonder if that is what is going to be announce on MWSF. AppleTV 2.0 with the ability to buy or rent direct from iTunes without the need for a Mac. Plus 1080p and 5.1 audio.

Apple needs to step up the game. Their current lower than DVD quality downloads are not making the cut. Why would I purchase such a low quality movie to watch it on my high-quality HDTV. Doesn't make sense. It is cool on the iPhone or iPod but it is sucks on a real full res HDTV.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 3, 2008, 01:01 PM
Now's about the time for Apple to stop screwing around and unleash the full potential of iTunes and the Apple TV.

damacus
Jan 3, 2008, 01:01 PM
To those of you doing it, quit harping on Netflix Watch Instantly Mac Support:

"A key issue for delivering movies online is that the studios require use of DRM (Digital Rights Management) to protect titles. And that's our holdup for the Mac - there's not yet a studio-sanctioned, publicly-available Mac DRM solution (Apple doesn't license theirs). I can promise you that, when an approved solution becomes available for the Mac, we'll be there. I'll also say that Silverlight 1.1 looks like a promising candidate - but that its DRM isn't likely to be fully available until 2008." http://blog.netflix.com/2007/08/instant-watching-on-mac-firefox-and.html

Some people are demanding HD... however, the movies will probably not be HD. This is not really an issue, since iTMS movies and TV shows aren't HD either. However, from Netflix Watch Instantly, the quality seems at least somewhat similar to DVD if your connection is fast enough.

This isn't about the iPod, this is about home entertainment. I really wish Apple would partner with Netflix for the rental service. If you could tie iTunes, Apple TV and Netflix together, you'd have a killer setup. In the meantime, though, I'd seriously consider an LG box if the price were $150 or less.

sonictonic
Jan 3, 2008, 01:05 PM
Lame. It already sucked enough when I found out this service online wasn't MAc compatible. I then went through a little bit of hassle to load up Windows in bootcamp, fire up netlfix to look for the movie I wanted to instantly watch, only to find out the movie was not available for the instant download feature. Do people realize that even though Netflix has almost every DVD in existence, that it does NOT mean all of them can be watched instantly. It seems to me that there are very few available titles that even use this halfassed feature!

F.D.
Jan 3, 2008, 01:05 PM
I totally agree. I read an article written by Micheal Bay..the director of Transformers who said the only reason M$ took HD-DVD's side was so that none of them would win. He said that M$ wants both to fail so that they can succeed with digital downloads. Mr. Bay also went on to say that he wanted his movie to be released in both formats and had a preference towards Blu-Ray cuz they had to dumb down his movie to fit HD-DVD but M$ pushed it's way in to making sure it was only released HD-DVD. It makes sense too. M$ wants Sony to loose at anything and everything :(

"Dumb down his movie"- that would be Transformers, right- and he's saying that film is only dumb for being released on HD-DVD.

Now back to the real world.

The world needs a LOT more internet bandwidth, provided a LOT more reliably, for it to be more convenient for me to download a 1080p HiDef movie than to spend 30 minutes nipping into town to buy such a highbrow film as TRANSFORMERS in the shop.

hotzenplotz
Jan 3, 2008, 01:09 PM
"...Netflix Inc. will begin delivering movies and other programming directly to televisions later this year..." (emphasis added)

Someone is trying to freeze the market before the January 15th Macworld expo and potential iTunes movie rental announcement. If you ask me, the NFlix CEO is having bad dreams...

guru_ck
Jan 3, 2008, 01:11 PM
Vudu (http://www.vudu.com) is already doing this.

Timothy
Jan 3, 2008, 01:15 PM
What all these companies don't understand, including Apple, is that I already have too many boxes plugged into my TV. I don't want another standalone box that doesn't do more than 1 thing. And that includes the AppleTV.

I've started using Amazon Unbox with my Tivo. If Apple can't partner with someone significant like Tivo, then I think they should give this game up to someone else.

Several of my friends bought AppleTV only to report to me that they are now collecting dust. The use just isn't there.

Netflix will suffer this same fate. Few people want to add another box to their TV set up right now.

Random Ping
Jan 3, 2008, 01:17 PM
M$ wants Sony to loose at anything and everything :(

I believe that the number one reason M$ backed HD-DVD is to hurt Sony and their PS3 efforts. If all the studios backed Blu-Ray, it would make PS3 a better purchase.

Breckenridge
Jan 3, 2008, 01:18 PM
I just cannot believe that apple did not do that with the appleTV in the first place. I would have to say that it will be very nice to be able to view movies and other internet content from a device that doesn't require another device / computer to run the show.

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 01:29 PM
Will hopefully this will drive some improvements to the next :apple:tv release.

Doctor Q
Jan 3, 2008, 01:34 PM
What all these companies don't understand, including Apple, is that I already have too many boxes plugged into my TV. I don't want another standalone box that doesn't do more than 1 thing. And that includes the AppleTV.The Apple TV plays your music, shows your iTunes movies, displays slideshows from your photo library, and plays YouTube videos and movie trailers off the Internet. That's already more than one thing.

Are you saying that a movie rental feature would still not make it multipurpose enough? What if it included a DVD player? What else would you want it to do before you'd consider getting it?

whoami
Jan 3, 2008, 01:37 PM
it's too bad netflix's "watch instantly" doesn't have **** for movies...
i've occasionally hooked up my MBP to my hdtv and watched thru VMware, but that's not ideal by any means! You guys see why none of these rental services are working, right??? they aren't compatible with ipod/iphone... DUH!

Arcady
Jan 3, 2008, 01:39 PM
My TiVo can already do this with Amazon movie and TV downloads, plus it records HDTV off cable and antenna. And it plays my iTunes library of music.

Someone needs to provide HD content to win this war. The standard-def stuff on iTunes and Amazon looks like crap.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
Several of my friends bought AppleTV only to report to me that they are now collecting dust. The use just isn't there.

Perhaps they aren't the target market. I no longer watch DVDs or VHS tapes (or TV for that matter). I don't listen to CDs or the radio.

The Apple TV sends all video to the TV and all sound to the, uh, sound system. It is fed by a file server controlled by a Mac mini, with which I sync the iPods, iPhones, and all that other crap. The long and the short of it is that I can move the file server and Mac mini anywhere, and only have to have the Apple TV next to the TV.

I don't think the Apple TV is the next step for everyone... but I do think that if you aren't afraid to rip all your DVDs or buy all your shows from iTunes, and if you put a little work into an organizational scheme for all your media, it can replace a whole lot of gear.

I think the Apple TV is crippled in many ways, but it's very good at what it does. I believe Apple calls it a "hobby" because it demands a lot of conformity from the end user in order to make it a useful, sensible investment. It's not ready to replace a Media Center PC or even a stock Mac mini -- even with the software updates I'd like to see -- but if it fits your aesthetics and digital lifestyle like it does mine, I think it's a hell of a device :)

mrgreen4242
Jan 3, 2008, 01:49 PM

"Half-HD" would be a pretty good compromise in my opinion. That's 960*540, a commonly used format online to deliver high quality but decently sized video. Frequently used to take HD broadcasts and compress them for filesharing, and now Apple is "supporting" this size in iMovie as an option for importing 1080i HDV for editing. It looks really nice (better than DVD quality) and isn't insanely huge like a 1080p file is if given enough bandwidth.

If it had a built in DVR and a halfway decent interface (the Netdlix website is a pretty well thought out system, so I'm hopeful they would be able to do a decent job), and it has the same rates as the current "watch instantly" feature from Netflix (you get all your regular DVDs plus 1 hour of video streaming per dollar that your account costs per month) I'd drop my TiVo (and up my Netlfix plan) for it. I'd seriously consider it without the DVR if the box price is right, and I'd also consider paying extra in my monthly plan (up to say $5 or 6) for the DVR service.

Alternatively, it wouldn't need a traditional DVR if they could figure out someway to deliver TV shows within a week or two of their regular air date over the internet (like iTMS, but with an all you can watch package and more selection). It would still need a tuner along with that option, though.

Would be nice if they offered a model with LGs dual format HDDVD and BR player included. Would be double nice if they subsidized the box fee with a service contract and/or a lease program.

Klaxons2012
Jan 3, 2008, 01:50 PM

This is the most important comment in this thread. Who wants another set top box? I have my Home Theater reciever, tivo, xbox 360, wii and slingbox all on or near my tv now, why would I want yet another set top box on my tv? These services that offer streaming movies would have to address some serious issues if they want to be taken seriously in the market.

The most important being selection. If we're basing this set top box's selection from what Netflix has in their watch instantly library then they're going to shoot themselves in the foot. They have to add more films to that library if they're going to survive. First run movies, best sellers, classics, they need to be in that library. I believe Unbox has the leg up on iTunes and Netflix in this respect because they're attached to the TiVo device. That device is holy to loyal followers and with streaming movies and tv on demand along with Rhapsody's music on demand, you can't beat that.

mrgreen4242
Jan 3, 2008, 01:51 PM
My TiVo can already do this with Amazon movie and TV downloads, plus it records HDTV off cable and antenna. And it plays my iTunes library of music.

Someone needs to provide HD content to win this war. The standard-def stuff on iTunes and Amazon looks like crap.

As a TiVo user, I can say that the Amazon unboxed service sucks. The quality is ass, the downloads are slow, the prices suck, and the selection is worse. I had high hopes for that service, but I'm very disappointed. I have much more faith in Netflix to do MOVIES right (TiVo is very good at DVR interfaces, but so far has been pretty awful at everything else).

tothecore
Jan 3, 2008, 01:54 PM
Question: How/Can.... DSL/CABLE... stream a HD movie? Look how long it takes to DL the 1080P trailers... Im on 2 T1's seamed data/voice at work... a whole move?? even w/ progressive it must take a while.... Does the providers offer enough bandwidth for this @ our homes?

markayak
Jan 3, 2008, 01:56 PM

I did the same, and I backed it up by putting my NetFlix account on hold until they actually do make it Mac-compatible (or until they finally have a copy of Stargate Season 5 Disc 2 available for rental, whichever happens first). Been waiting about 6 months so far...

skellener
Jan 3, 2008, 01:57 PM
I love Netflix's DVD delivery service and I'm sure a VOD service will be good.

But am I the only one who finds it a bit ridiculous that everyone wants to sell you their own SET TOP BOX? I mean, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Most people want less boxes hooked to their TV not more. And shouldn't these boxes come free anyway since you still have to pay for the service?

My prediction for 2008 will be the year of the set top box as well as the crash of the set top box market.

mrrydogg
Jan 3, 2008, 02:00 PM
The best rumor around is the Mac Mini combing with Apple TV. Apple TV needs direct access to iTunes, not streaming. If Apple TV really brought the computer to my TV, I would be more than willing to shell out some dough.

Oh and I need some HD baby!

Say no to exclusive contracts with movie studios!!!

megatronbomb
Jan 3, 2008, 02:06 PM
Netflix's movie streaming software be "mac compatible" but it currently doesn't work on a mac.

I'd be satisfied if they "fixed" this.

aperture01
Jan 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
this movie rental thing is going to be the wave of the future. I agree I think this will supercede blu-ray and hd-dvd eventually. One will remain around but I think this will become the norm. Netflix has a ridculously huge library. And I heard that netflix is partnering with LG so they could introduce this feature directly into HD dvd players or their TVs and have it everywhere eliminating the need for yet "another box". Wheras with the apple solution you're going to have to purchase a specific device. They're going to have to find a way to make their version a bit nicer than LG's.

I'll watch way more movies if I can do it this way. If I could pay a monthly fee and just download the movies for a day and download another in my queue when done. Blah it'll be quicker than mailing.

I hope apple has something good in store for this. They might get lucky if they are first out the gate with this, and push the hell out of it. Because netflix is already ahead of them in so many other areas.

Westside guy
Jan 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
My TiVo can already do this with Amazon movie and TV downloads <snip>

I've tried using this, and quickly found out that a huge chunk of the Unbox content is NOT available to "TiVo Unbox". It's pretty pathetic.

Apple needs to have an "Apple TV" that will also play DVDs. As others have pointed out, we don't want or need another box - but I'd be open to replacing one of my existing boxes (e.g. my DVD player). I've been thinking about buying a Mac Mini and rolling my own; maybe getting one of the El Gato TV solutions and dumping my once-beloved, now-increasingly-crappy TiVo service.

CWallace
Jan 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
But am I the only one who finds it a bit ridiculous that everyone wants to sell you their own SET TOP BOX?

There's money in them thar boxes.

Also, controlling the box helps control the experience. I have been following the "Comcast Tivo" roll-out in MA and it is not looking pretty compared to the experience my TivoHD offers me.

plumbingandtech
Jan 3, 2008, 02:12 PM
Micheal Bay..the director of Transformers

That's all one needs to know.

Dumbest movie of 2007. By far IMO.

Insultingly dumb.

jpine
Jan 3, 2008, 02:41 PM

Potentially, yes. But not until very high speed internet is widely available. My sister, who lives just 19 miles outside of Kansas City, does not even have a ISP in her community. She has to pay for a KC line for dial-up or pay long distance charges. She pays just about what we pay for 15Mbps FIOS here in southern CA. Same dynamic for my wife's aunt in rural Michigan.

grappler
Jan 3, 2008, 02:43 PM
Wait, what?? You can stream netflix movies to a mac now??? I'm going to have to try this as soon as I get home. I was just about to quit their service because their streaming service was windows-only.

DaBrain
Jan 3, 2008, 02:44 PM
Lame. It already sucked enough when I found out this service online wasn't MAc compatible. I then went through a little bit of hassle to load up Windows in bootcamp, fire up netlfix to look for the movie I wanted to instantly watch, only to find out the movie was not available for the instant download feature. Do people realize that even though Netflix has almost every DVD in existence, that it does NOT mean all of them can be watched instantly. It seems to me that there are very few available titles that even use this halfassed feature!

That's the main problem I have with Netflix. Their selection of watch instantly movies are severely limited. BUT not through any fault of their own. It is the movie companies themselves that restrict what Netflix can offer on their Watch Instantly Service! Which just like in music, once again relentless restrictions screw up what could be good for all including themselves! Just Amazing!

I for one like the watch instantly. No D/L etc and on my DSL the movies play great. Might not be HD but to me it is just like viewing the DVD for the most part!

MrCrowbar
Jan 3, 2008, 02:46 PM
I've tried using this, and quickly found out that a huge chunk of the Unbox content is NOT available to "TiVo Unbox". It's pretty pathetic.

Apple needs to have an "Apple TV" that will also play DVDs. As others have pointed out, we don't want or need another box - but I'd be open to replacing one of my existing boxes (e.g. my DVD player). I've been thinking about buying a Mac Mini and rolling my own; maybe getting one of the El Gato TV solutions and dumping my once-beloved, now-increasingly-crappy TiVo service.

Get one. I love my Elgato Stick, records my shows nicely and I can easily cut, export, pause and rewind everything. It also has beautiful de-interlacing when you have a core duo or faster, looks great on every screen unlike every flat screen TV out there which looks terrible when you're playing anything else than HDDVD or Bluray. The HD version is a little pricey tho.

s0upb0ne
Jan 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
As an earlier poster mentioned .. Vudu is already doing this

I have a box and it rocks!!

Its hit or miss with the titles, but I have not had a problem finding something to watch old or new from the catalog..and the SD offerings are comparable to DVD.

That being said...I will probably pick an AppleTV(depending on how expansive the catalog) and a netflix box(when available) because I am an insatiable gadget junkie :o

jawporta
Jan 3, 2008, 02:49 PM
There's only one way Apple can compete, PUT THE iTUNES STORE IN THE APPLE TV!!!!!!

There's no reason why I need to sync my computer to watch a movie, I want to browse the iTunes movie/TV service on my TV, then rent a show or movie. They can fix this all in a software update and get a jump on the war with Newflix.

Look out Apple TV and iTunes movie rentals...Netflix and LG are partnering to launch a set-top box to deliver downloadable movie rentals.

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/02/financial/f180500S94.DTL)

DaBrain
Jan 3, 2008, 02:50 PM
What all these companies don't understand, including Apple, is that I already have too many boxes plugged into my TV. I don't want another standalone box that doesn't do more than 1 thing. And that includes the AppleTV.

I've started using Amazon Unbox with my Tivo. If Apple can't partner with someone significant like Tivo, then I think they should give this game up to someone else.

Netflix will suffer this same fate. Few people want to add another box to their TV set up right now.

I might think second IF and only IF, it eliminates my Satellite dish monthly bill and their ridiculous price for the crap they dish out and I have a decent selection of alternate program!

It's got so bad that on AMC they have been for months showing the same damn movies back to back! And to think we are paying for that--))) I want a competitive choice and channels ala carte! They do that, they win me over!

DaBrain
Jan 3, 2008, 02:51 PM
I just cannot believe that apple did not do that with the appleTV in the first place. I would have to say that it will be very nice to be able to view movies and other internet content from a device that doesn't require another device / computer to run the show.

BUT First they must have access to that content! Therein lies the rub!

bommai
Jan 3, 2008, 02:51 PM
I am just going to ramble a little bit - bear with me

PS3 and XBox360 are two systems most capable of online rentals including full HD.

a) Both have HDMI (newer 360s)
b) Both have networking (PS3 is better because all PS3's pretty much have wireless)
c) Both have enough horsepower to display pure 1080p at ridiculous bitrates
d) Both support several different codecs including Divx, Xvid, MPEG4-AVC, VC-1, etc.

XBox360 already has rentals (I think), PS3 does not yet do that. I have a PS3 and love it. It is my primary DVD/BD player.

However, the biggest problem with these two devices is the relatively narrow gamer market that they play in. Even though each of them have sold millions (there are more of them deployed around the world than Tivos), they are still limited to the gamer market (relatively speaking).

The only other box that can theoretically do the rental and is also widely deployed is the cable/satellite box. However, VOD and PPV are their version of rentals. So, I guess there is no other set top box that comes to mind, is there!!

I agree there should be some consolidation here. I wish there was a DVD version and a Bluray version of Apple TV (low end, high end) so that people can upgrade from their regular DVD player to this 21st century DVD player.

The pricing should be - $200 for DVD player version with 40GB HD and $400 for Bluray player with 40GB HD (sell the 160GB version for $500). Both should have HDMI and support SD-DVD upscaling. The high end should be a Profile 2.0 BD player. Make them OSX based just like the current AppleTV but get a better remote out! Still intuitive but 6 buttons isn't going to cut it.

s0upb0ne
Jan 3, 2008, 02:58 PM
The only other box that can theoretically do the rental and is also widely deployed is the cable/satellite box. However, VOD and PPV are their version of rentals. So, I guess there is no other set top box that comes to mind, is there!!

Again...not 'widely' deployed..but I think if you researched the vudu box ..it may pique your interest

Ha ze
Jan 3, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think a real lock would be if instead of this being another set top box, they somehow incorporated it into the set itself. Lg sells a decent amount of TV's I think, that way, each LG TV would already becoming with the unit built in, thus making the purchase of another item unnecessary.

mrgreen4242
Jan 3, 2008, 03:19 PM
I did the same, and I backed it up by putting my NetFlix account on hold until they actually do make it Mac-compatible (or until they finally have a copy of Stargate Season 5 Disc 2 available for rental, whichever happens first). Been waiting about 6 months so far...
ROFL. I just added Stargate S5 to my queue just to see if it was available and sure enough all the discs but 2 are available now, but 2 has a "very long wait". What's the deal with that?

Wait, what?? You can stream netflix movies to a mac now??? I'm going to have to try this as soon as I get home. I was just about to quit their service because their streaming service was windows-only.

That's how I read the post as well, but it's misleading. The backend technology Netflix uses is compatible with OSX but their DRM isn't, so no, you can't. The post should really should be rewritten as it's on the front page and all.

nagromme

According to AI, while Netflix has an amazing 90,000 titles on DVD, only 6,000 are available by Internet.

I'd love ANY service that delivered the actual 90,000--to my Mac, not my TV, please (my Mac IS my TV)--but this doesn't seem to be it. Still, I'm happy to see both Apple and Netflix (regrettably partnered with Microsoft) taking baby steps in the right direction.

No, you can't. There's hope for the future, but apparently in Microsoft's hands?

I did quit Netflix, but two things would bring me back:

1. Mac-compatible streaming.

and more importantly:

2. Per-title rental fees--so I pay for what I view, however little or much that is. I got real tired of their hidden limits on their "unlimited" plans.

If those two are answered, then I don't expect iTunes (or any download service) will keep me away from Netflix's DVD library: selection is everything.

If those are NOT answered, I will enjoy online rentals--probably from Apple--as long as the price/convenience make it more attractive than burning gas to get to the video store or library. Even if iTunes has poor selection at first... so does my Blockbuster. I'll find a few downloads to rent, and otherwise continue to enjoy my local library, EyeTV, and dollar theater.

gkarris
I love my :apple:TV.

My question is, if :apple:TV is such a FLOP, why is Netflix, Vudu, Tivo, and others striving to copy it??? :eek:

LethalWolfe
Jan 3, 2008, 03:20 PM
I believe that the number one reason M$ backed HD-DVD is to hurt Sony and their PS3 efforts. If all the studios backed Blu-Ray, it would make PS3 a better purchase.

MS trying to get into the home entertainment market goes back way farther than the PS3.

Lethal

slffl
Jan 3, 2008, 03:24 PM
2. Per-title rental fees--so I pay for what I view, however little or much that is. I got real tired of their hidden limits on their "unlimited" plans.

I just signed up with Netflix. They have limits on their unlimited plans?

Arcus
Jan 3, 2008, 03:25 PM

My thoughts exactly. I love netflix but this seems dumb to me.

rckstwrz
Jan 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
I currently open up VM Ware, and watch Netflix at home with that. Most of the movies are from the 80's though. Works for me.

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 3, 2008, 03:47 PM
I just signed up with Netflix. They have limits on their unlimited plans?

If you use Netflix efficiently, you won't make them any money (and will likely cost them money). Their business model depends on people being lazy/forgetful and not watching more than a couple movies a week.

When they notice your efficiency, they start kinda shuffling their feet and lacking t3h snappy.

JackAxe
Jan 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
Silverlight for streaming video. *vomits*

<]=)

whynot83706
Jan 3, 2008, 04:18 PM

I have TIVO and I love my TIVO, but at the same time TIVO has not been the hottest name on the street, dont get me wrong--people love it but they have not been so profitable and if you look at the numbers TIVO has been loosing value left and right. Last year (02/2007) TIVO - DirecTV contract ended and currently 2/3rds of 4 million subscribers are DirecTV subscribers. In 2010 DirecTV will stop supporting TIVO systems so till then TIVO will really have to push for the subscribers.

Now can Apple work things out with TIVO and will that be a great partnership? Answer is Yes, but Apple is too controling, and they only like to see their Logo on the Products so they will never do anything with the TIVO.

whynot83706
Jan 3, 2008, 04:20 PM

When it this happen?

marshalljones
Jan 3, 2008, 04:28 PM
"We want to see 100 Netflix-capable devices on the market," Hastings said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080102/netflix_tv.html?.v=1

Is there a reason AppleTV couldn't be one of these devices?

anthonyb
Jan 3, 2008, 04:40 PM

I could'nt agree with you more on this one. I have contacted them many times about this, and their response is to use something like parallels. Netflix is an awesome company and I love their huge selection.

Ha ze
Jan 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
"We want to see 100 Netflix-capable devices on the market," Hastings said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080102/netflix_tv.html?.v=1

Is there a reason AppleTV couldn't be one of these devices?

Yea, cause it's made by Apple, and they are doing they're own movie thing, so why would they allow competition on their own device?

lazyrighteye
Jan 3, 2008, 05:39 PM

I too, have written them. Several times. And know other Mac users who have done the same.
All have been met with the exact same silence from Netflix.

Neat.

Suffice to say, I'm very interested in what Apple has up their sleeve(s).

sanford
Jan 3, 2008, 05:58 PM
Silverlight may be Mac-compatible but Netflix's over-broadband service is not.

And what's all this cry for HD? Who cares if it's HD. If you want HD, get a BD deck, or if you must, an HD DVD deck. Feature-length HD delivered over the Internet is so stepped on by compression, the resolution hardly matters.

kagharaht
Jan 3, 2008, 06:00 PM
Silverlight for streaming video. *vomits*

<]=)

I agree. I think the last thing I want is to support another MS initiative to help them monopolize another market.

toml1959
Jan 3, 2008, 06:16 PM
Not only movies, but the ability to buy music from the iTunes music store from the AppleTV box would be a bonus not to be underestimated, especially if everything is more-or-less brainlessly synced with your computer, as with the iphone...

godslabrat
Jan 3, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have an open mind about using downloads as a substitute for Rental, but count me out of any scheme that aims to replace my disc collection with a "set top box". Non-physical distribution takes away too many advantages for people who like to *own* their media. I don't want any company deciding I have to pay extra to watch a new movie, or deciding to restrict my viewing options because the distribution contracts ran out. And if the company goes kaput, I'm left with a useless box and nothing to show for it.

No thanks, I'll take my physical disc anyday.

JGowan
Jan 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
To those of you doing it, quit harping on Netflix Watch Instantly Mac Support:

"A key issue for delivering movies online is that the studios require use of DRM (Digital Rights Management) to protect titles. And that's our holdup for the Mac - there's not yet a studio-sanctioned, publicly-available Mac DRM solution (Apple doesn't license theirs). I can promise you that, when an approved solution becomes available for the Mac, we'll be there. I'll also say that Silverlight 1.1 looks like a promising candidate - but that its DRM isn't likely to be fully available until 2008."Good find. I remember reading this back when the news came out about their streaming service began, disgusted that Macs weren't supported.

When you think about, it only makes sense that Apple didn't give into the DRM support that NetFlix wanted IF they wanted to someday offer a Rental service of their own. Obviously that's about to happen. I have a Mac Mini connected to my bedroom HDTV,... if I bought a copy of Windows and booted up in Boot Camp, would I be able to use WATCH INSTANTLY? Would it work with Parallels?

yg17
Jan 3, 2008, 07:37 PM
Until home broadband connections become fast enough to allow for full HD (1080p) plus multi-channel surround sound streaming, myself, and many others will have no use for online movie rental. A 1080p movie trailer from Apple is around 200 megs for less than 5 minutes of video. And I can't even stream them on my 5 mbit connection, I have to wait for almost the entire thing to download. I'm too lazy to do the math, but imagine how big a feature-length movie would be. It's just not practical, and I can drive out to Blockbuster and rent what I want and get back home before the movie is even close to being downloaded (or downloaded enough for me to begin streaming it). And people aren't spending thousands of dollars on HDTVs and home theater systems to watch some crappy low-def streamed video with 2 channel audio.

Maybe I could imagine using this when I'm snowed in and can't go anywhere and have nothing to do, but I would much rather be a bit more patient and wait for my Netflix movies to arrive in the mail.

Stella
Jan 3, 2008, 07:58 PM
This is good news. Apple should respond to this with their own service that does support the Mac.

No Mac Support for this service? Market forces I'm afraid, if I were a business I'd support 90% of the market, than support 100% ( i.e, 10% that weren't window users).

Another benefit of increasing Apple marketshare is that companies will take notice and support OSX from the start.

skellener
Jan 3, 2008, 08:14 PM
b) Both have networking (PS3 is better because all PS3's pretty much have wireless)
I don't know if I'd say better. Xbox 360 has a wireless add-on for $99 (too expensive, I know) but can easily hooked to any routing device with ethernet or wireless.

XBox360 already has rentals (I think), PS3 does not yet do that. I have a PS3 and love it. It is my primary DVD/BD player.
Yes, the 360 has HD movie and TV rentals now (1280x720p). Yes, it's sweet that both machines have regular DVD players as well as HD disc players (optional for the 360).

Using Connect 360 with my Mac I get much of the functionality of the AppleTV in my 360. Not quite as slick as AppleTV but it worked instantly (zero config) and I could see all my media (pics, music, videos). HD podcasts look fantastic. Once you see them, you'll realize how dead broadcast TV is.

I'd like to see the rumors of a Netflix blade come true for the 360. That would be awesome!

megfilmworks
Jan 3, 2008, 08:42 PM
This is the future. It doesn't matter if we agree or not. This is just the beginning. Physical media is essentially dead (except for boutique labels).
Apple, Netflix, Amazon, etc., etc., will ensure that we move into downloadable content.
As sung many years ago; "the times they are a changing" You can get on board or be left behind at the station.

Stella
Jan 3, 2008, 09:13 PM
If it currently doesn't work with a Mac, how would they support the iPod. If you can't carry it with you on a plane or so, the market will be only limited. And of all portable players out there, the iPod is by far the most used. Not be able to support that is a huge issue.

And if they use Play For Sure, with all the current issues, how can they make it as seamless as Apple can do?

Apple don't license out Fairplay, so this and other non Apple offerings won't be iPod compatible ( as long as DRM is involved ).

SthrnCmfrtr
Jan 3, 2008, 09:17 PM
This is the future. It doesn't matter if we agree or not. This is just the beginning. Physical media is essentially dead (except for boutique labels).
Apple, Netflix, Amazon, etc., etc., will ensure that we move into downloadable content.
As sung many years ago; "the times they are a changing" You can get on board or be left behind at the station.

I think physical media will soon become a luxury. After 1080p there's still room for expansion in terms of resolution, but most peoples' internet speeds aren't going to match 1080p for some time and 2160p is a painfully-distant dream.

Many of us don't care about the luxury. My Mom is as happy as a pig in **** with her Xbox Media Center and the iPod (high)-quality TV shows I put on it for t3h holidays. Hopefully the same with my sister.

Even me... I have better than 20-20/6-6 vision and a 720p HDTV, and I really haven't felt the burn to re-encode these videos for even the Apple TV settings, much less upgrading to true HD. That's not to say I can't see the problems with the picture, it's just that I don't care.

People tend to neglect that there are multiple kinds of tech nerds. Not everyone wants the latest and greatest -- there's a cost and efficiency loss at the high end, and for many of us the middle of the road works much better.

(Of course, saying that there are "camps" is oversimplifying... all my music is Apple Lossless, heh)

DaBrain
Jan 3, 2008, 09:43 PM
Good find. I remember reading this back when the news came out about their streaming service began, disgusted that Macs weren't supported.

When you think about, it only makes sense that Apple didn't give into the DRM support that NetFlix wanted IF they wanted to someday offer a Rental service of their own. Obviously that's about to happen. I have a Mac Mini connected to my bedroom HDTV,... if I bought a copy of Windows and booted up in Boot Camp, would I be able to use WATCH INSTANTLY? Would it work with Parallels?

I have it working but the quality is no where as good as it in on a straight windows platform sorry to say. I have emailed netflix numerous times asking them when we will have it for our MAC's?

Well were still waiting and waiting and waiting!

Peel
Jan 3, 2008, 10:44 PM

I've never had a problem with Netflix slowing down my account. Sure i get the odd "not available in your city, so we're sending it from across the country", but it's few and far between. I've had Netflix for just a year now (Jan 6th, 07), and have watched 402 movies in that time, or approximately 34/month. Or maybe you were going through them faster than that?

McGiord
Jan 3, 2008, 11:38 PM
Currently the Watch it Instantly service from Netflix cost $0 to people already subscribed to their service.
Yes, the catalog is not the best one available but they are starting to offer many TV series.
The price will be a good difference once we can Watch It Instantly on our Macs.

I did try it with Parallels hooking my MacBook to my LCD TV and the experience wasn't good, it didn't watch the movie, the video quality wasn't good enough to see it on my TV + the audio quality was really bad.

We still need to see good improvements and the competition will be nice to drive this faster.

I think we have different scenarios for this upcoming battle.

Hardware
:apple:TV vs Netflix vs Vudu vs Tivo vs On demand / pay per view

Online Service:
Mac supported vs Windows vs Both Worlds vs Own System
Free vs Paid

Some may say that best things in live are for free, but nowdays nothing is free and its really already included in what you pay with the service fee...

Good Dirty Competition to conquer this movie rental market is what we need.

What is the difference in the COMCAST HD ON DEMAND video streaming vs Internet Online Videos, why we can't have that kind of quality from other sources??

My Internet connection comes from the same cable that my cable TV:confused:
________
medical marijuana states (http://mmjp.org)

currentinterest
Jan 3, 2008, 11:44 PM
Watching movies on my iPhone is something I do frequently when traveling. Any solution that allows me to rent a movie for an iPhone and an HDTV (720p is enough) is the one I choose.

skinnylegs
Jan 4, 2008, 12:05 AM
And what's all this cry for HD? Who cares if it's HD. Spoken like someone who doesn't have HD. :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe
Jan 4, 2008, 12:11 AM
Spoken like someone who doesn't have HD. :rolleyes:
Which would be the vast majority of people. ;)

Lethal

neutrino23
Jan 4, 2008, 12:47 AM
Which would be the vast majority of people. ;)

Lethal

Actually, I heard that many people who get large screen TVs aren't sure if it is HD or not. Many who have an HD set don't upgrade their cable service so they are still watching standard definition. There is still considerable confusion about this in the public mind.

This is not uncommon. In my industry there is a new kind of detector entering the market that processes many more counts per second. A surprising fraction of the customers think they simply need to employ one of these detectors to get super high count rates without actually increasing the strength of the original signal.

People are focussed on their own lives and their own occupations. That is why things need to be extremely simple to gain wide acceptance.

I'm really puzzled about the business model for the rentals. It seems that Netflix gets a very small return on each DVD they rent out and a good chunk of that goes to the studio. How did they reach such a sweetheart deal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like Netflix grosses about $3 a DVD and perhaps half of that is shipping and handling. So maybe Netflix gets fifty cents and the content provider gets $1 or $0.75. This for a DVD quality picture.

It seems the movie companies would jump at on-line rentals. They could get $2 or $2.50 for the same movie and there would be no costs incurred manufacturing the disks in the first place.

And why do they care if Apple is successful renting or selling movies? If they don't give control to Apple then they give control to Netflix or someone else. I don't see the movie industry funding their own jointly owned online provider.

Baff
Jan 4, 2008, 01:32 AM
"Netflix has been expanding its services, and recently began streaming movies over the internet using Mac-compatible Microsoft Silverlight technology."

This is not at all true.

Netflix's Watch Now currently only works with Windows in Internet Explorer.

They are waiting for Silverlight 1.1 before they will start supporting Mac and browsers other than IE. Silverlight 1.1 is expected around March, so Mac support at Netflix likely won't happen until at least April.

Silverlight 1.1 only supports Intel Macs. Anyone with a PowerPC Mac will still be left out in the cold.

Oddly, Silverlight 1.0 supports PowerPC Macs, but with 1.1 Microsoft are dropping support for 2 year old macs and adding support for an 8 year old OS (Windows 2000). Go figure.

Dahl
Jan 4, 2008, 03:12 AM
Thats what I was thinking when reading the article. I love NetFlix, but that peeves me that they still don't support the Mac in terms of their "watch instantly" feature.

I wonder what the computer requirements will be for this set-top box.... will it use a web browser? Or will it be another Windows only deal?
Agreed.

There is no good reason why Mac users aren't treated as well as Windows users online anymore.

Bonte
Jan 4, 2008, 04:03 AM
Yea, cause it's made by Apple, and they are doing they're own movie thing, so why would they allow competition on their own device?

For extra content, more is better. That is why we can rip CD's to iTunes, import MP3 and subscribe to free podcast's. But i agree it won't happen, Apple doesn't want to be bothered with yet another DRM scheme that will only marginally help them.

AdeFowler
Jan 4, 2008, 04:37 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Satellite is pretty entrenched here in the UK, and from a personal point of view, there's more than enough good television to watch, especially when you add the ability to record using systems like Sky Plus (similar to Tivo I guess). Then of course there's the option of getting off the couch and going out. (to watch a movie maybe ;) ).

I'd rather buy or rent a DVD that I can copy or put on my iPod to watch whenever I like.

sebimeyer
Jan 4, 2008, 07:54 AM
What you people seem to be forgetting in your "Why aren't there selection of mov1ies b1gger !!!!1111!" rants is that the writers union is currently striking because the studios aren't willing to give them a fair share of INTERNET SALES.

The problem is, the writers are right but the studios don't want to admit it. It's completely asinine that a major studio like Disney sends their CEO to Macworlds to cheer along Apple's iTMS (Lost and Desperate Housewives almost single-handedly jumpstarted the iTMS tv-show model), then to report to shareholders of both Disney and AAPL that sales are awesome, only to then tell the writers "sorry man, I'd really like to pay you but the accountants can't tell me how much so you're getting zero." That's not fair any way you look at it and the writer's have every right to strike.

</rant over> sorry. author! author! ;)

raccoontail
Jan 4, 2008, 08:13 AM
I wonder how Senator Stevens Feels about this. Those internets sent by his staff are going to take forever now. :D

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2006/06/your_own_person.html

Undecided
Jan 4, 2008, 09:14 AM
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/01/03/2339248.shtml

junior
Jan 4, 2008, 09:19 AM
It's such a common service now in Japan. Anyone with optic fiber line can get pay-per-view movie channels, dedicated sports channels, all satellite channels in fact, on a dedicated box/tuner that you connect to the modem, then to your TV or VCR.
Apple's going to have MASSIVE problems with the iTunes movie rental over here seeing as the quality will be lower by all accounts, and it's a service already dominated by telecom giants cable networks and a satellite service.
The only way would be for Apple to offer full HD quality movies for very affordable prices that stream seamlessly wireless to the TV.
And the Apple TV currently can't handle that, I don't think.

pdjudd
Jan 4, 2008, 10:07 AM
The only way would be for Apple to offer full HD quality movies for very affordable prices that stream seamlessly wireless to the TV.
And the Apple TV currently can't handle that, I don't think.

It doesn;t matter what the Apple TV can do or what Apple Coofers in what quality. First, the studios aren't going to give much HD content, and second, ISP's are nowhere near wiling to give anyone in the US the necessary bandwidth. Most ISP's offer a max of what, 8mbps shared? That is nowhere near enough. Not to mention the problem that ISPs have with Net Neutrality.

Having full 1080 resolution HD doesn't really matter if it takes 2 days to actually get it.

brucku
Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
Is this last part a joke?

Straight from Netflix's page

"Try again from a computer running Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista."

How is that "mac-compatible Microsoft Silverlight Technology" They have not been mac compatible since day 1 which was about a year ago.

junior
Jan 4, 2008, 10:59 AM
It doesn;t matter what the Apple TV can do or what Apple Coofers in what quality. First, the studios aren't going to give much HD content, and second, ISP's are nowhere near wiling to give anyone in the US the necessary bandwidth. Most ISP's offer a max of what, 8mbps shared? That is nowhere near enough. Not to mention the problem that ISPs have with Net Neutrality.

Having full 1080 resolution HD doesn't really matter if it takes 2 days to actually get it.

Err... Did I say ANYTHING about the US? Tons of people now have optic fiber lines in JAPAN, where it's been available for more than 8 years at 100mb/s up/down.
And every single optic fiber user, regardless of the company they use, can subscribe to packages that offer sattelite, cable, and custom pay-per-views at full quality that goes directly to the TV.
I feel sorry for the guys in USA in that regard, but at the same time Apple will probably make a lot of money from movie rentals and Apple TV over there.
In Japan though, as I said in the other post, no chance.

pdjudd
Jan 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
Err... Did I say ANYTHING about the US? Tons of people now have optic fiber lines in JAPAN, where it's been available for more than 8 years at 100mb/s up/down.
And every single optic fiber user, regardless of the company they use, can subscribe to packages that offer sattelite, cable, and custom pay-per-views at full quality that goes directly to the TV.
I feel sorry for the guys in USA in that regard, but at the same time Apple will probably make a lot of money from movie rentals and Apple TV over there.
In Japan though, as I said in the other post, no chance.

You miss my point. Apple is a US based company. I have yet to see Apple do anything in another company first reguarding amy of their media sales that did not start in the US. Heck, I don;t think Japan has the ability to buy videos in the first place. The fact that you guys have fiber opitc internet connections doesn't mean anything as far as apple is concerned. It focuses on the US market first since they are based there.

junior
Jan 4, 2008, 01:10 PM
You miss my point. Apple is a US based company. I have yet to see Apple do anything in another company first reguarding amy of their media sales that did not start in the US. Heck, I don;t think Japan has the ability to buy videos in the first place. The fact that you guys have fiber opitc internet connections doesn't mean anything as far as apple is concerned. It focuses on the US market first since they are based there.

What does 'Heck, I don;t think Japan has the ability to buy videos in the first place. ' mean? It makes zero sense, so do elaborate on it.
And this bomb shell :
'The fact that you guys have fiber opitc internet connections doesn't mean anything as far as apple is concerned.'

Did you actually read my post? The fact that pay-per-view movies on the cheap, as well as cable and satellite channels to connect to HD TVs are readily available on the same line people use to connect to the internet will be a massive concern to apple in Japan.

Back to the point.
I've already acknowledged that this will most likely succeed in america. The US is obviously, without you trying your best to explain it to me, the most important market for apple, so they'll rightly feel that this will work very well for them, and I can imagine a great ad campaign coming on to get the awareness going.
My point was that it would not work in Japan, where it may surprise you that it isn't as insignificant to apple's profits as you may imagine.
I have no idea what you"re arguing against. Do you?

collinsra
Jan 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
Once again, everyone is playing catch-up with apple.

collinsra
Jan 5, 2008, 07:36 PM

here, here. had nexflix for about two months. Movies would take longer than expected to arrive and most of the time they wouldnt even play because they were so badly damaged. Ill stick with saving for my apple tv thanks.

Terry78
Jan 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
here, here. had nexflix for about two months. Movies would take longer than expected to arrive and most of the time they wouldnt even play because they were so badly damaged. Ill stick with saving for my apple tv thanks.
You've either had really bad luck or your DVD player has very poor error correction capability.

I've been a NetFlix subscriber since it started about eight years ago. We watch eight to ten movies a month and in that entire time I've only gotten three discs that were too badly damaged to play on the two DVD players I've had in that timeframe.

Turn-around time on discs is 3 to 4 days from time I put it in the mailbox until the replacement disc arrives.

I just tried the NetFlix streaming service for the first time on my Win XP notebook. It worked flawlessly and I'm hoping that NetFlix will soon release a Mac-compatible version.

EMKoper
Jan 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
I've been a NetFlix subscriber since it started about eight years ago. We watch eight to ten movies a month and in that entire time I've only gotten three discs that were too badly damaged to play on the two DVD players I've had in that timeframe.

Turn-around time on discs is 3 to 4 days from time I put it in the mailbox until the replacement disc arrives.

Same experience over the past 2 years of using the service...