PDA

View Full Version : Dual G5 - Still waiting!

quicksilver116
Oct 7, 2003, 03:45 PM
I am still waiting for my Dual G5 that I ordered on August 14th. Since there haven't been any posts from people still waiting recently, I was wondering how many other people are still waiting to get theirs?

peterjhill
Oct 7, 2003, 04:11 PM
I am waiting. My order status page says "on or before 10/30/2003" but if I configure a duplicate machine i get an estimated ship of 7-10 business days.

WTF, can't they get the two numbers to agree? I emailed them yesterday and am still waiting for a reply. Before that I called them and asked them what-the-dealie-yo, and they said that the date on my order status page was their best guess. When I asked about the estimate on a new order, they said that I would get mine first. They couldn't put it all together, though, and understand why I felt conflicted about the discrepancy. I will send an update when I have one.

latergator116
Oct 7, 2003, 04:15 PM
well i went to compusa and noticed all they had were the 1.6ghz and 1.8ghz macines so they must be the last to ship. btw, where in providence do you live? just curious

mac3dX
Oct 7, 2003, 04:40 PM
I found out today that dual CTO will be shipping tomorrow (theoretically). A 3-1/2 month wait. Never again will I pre-order. And I leave this ordeal very bitter towards Apple. (But at least I'm finally getting the thing.)

Makosuke
Oct 7, 2003, 05:20 PM
My 9/19 CTO (9800) order originally and still does show a 10/27 ship date. I guess I'll see how accurate that is in three weeks.

I suppose I understand the frustration with Apple's inconsistant ship date estimates, but for some reason they never much bothered me. I always take dates like that as an "if you're lucky" estimate, and particularly with a very new, very high-demand product, I always assume that companies (not just Apple) will have trouble meeting demand for a while.

It's not like they're doing it on purpose--they try to give you an accurate ship date estimate, and heaven knows they're desperate to get as many of the boxes out the door as is possible (why wouldn't they?), so if they miss the deadline, it's a shame, but hardly malicious. It also doesn't surprise me that ship dates always bump forward on the last possible day--they don't revise the estimate until it's been missed.

Now, I fully understand that having an accurate estimate of when a product will be in your hands, both before and after an order is placed, is a very valuable piece of information. It'd be nice if Apple's system could provide that, but it just doesn't seem worth getting really worked up if it can't (I certainly remember multi-week/month shipping estimates for popular PowerComputing clones way back when).

Then again, maybe my relaxed attitude comes from a long history of ridiculous wait times for new Apple products--if anything, things are much better now than they were before. I waited well over two months for a "shipping immediately" 8600 way back when (that arrived DOA--bought a 6500 instead since those actully shipped), and the first G4 iMac I bought took a very long time as well.

KCK
Oct 7, 2003, 05:36 PM
Well I am happy since I got my dual G5 earlier than Apple indicated. I did a custom order on 7/22 and was given a shipping date of 10/3. I ended up having my new computer in my hands a week earlier than the indicated shipping date.

quicksilver116
Oct 7, 2003, 06:33 PM
Glad to hear that I am not the only one still waiting. Since I left out a few details before, my order is BTO (250GB, Airport, Bluetooth) and the estimated ship date is on or before 10/27. I really hope to get it early. I am very excited.

peterjhill
Oct 7, 2003, 06:40 PM
I am waiting for a:
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
1GB DDR400 (PC3200) - 2x512
250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
BlueTooth Module
No Airport (will add later)
No Modem

Within six months I will most likely add another sata drive. I also picked up a 17 inch studio display and a sony trv-22 dvcam.

Looking forward to it all!