PDA

View Full Version : Crazy mp3 zip archive feature

ttsalo
Jan 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
I just discovered an odd feature on the iPod touch. I happened to have an mp3 file on a web server, so I clicked on it and Safari started a media player to play it, just as I expected. I also happened to have a 65 megabyte zip archive full of mp3:s on the same server. The odd feature is this: if the archive's extension is .zip as usual, Safari refuses to access it - it just complains that it's too large to open. But if the extension of the zip archive is .mp3, Safari starts playing it just fine. It shows the total length of all the individual mp3:s inside the archive and starts playing from the beginning. What's more, even seeking to any point works.

Anyone else notice this or am I just seeing things?

UltraNEO*
Jan 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
I just discovered an odd feature on the iPod touch. I happened to have an mp3 file on a web server, so I clicked on it and Safari started a media player to play it, just as I expected. I also happened to have a 65 megabyte zip archive full of mp3:s on the same server. The odd feature is this: if the archive's extension is .zip as usual, Safari refuses to access it - it just complains that it's too large to open. But if the extension of the zip archive is .mp3, Safari starts playing it just fine. It shows the total length of all the individual mp3:s inside the archive and starts playing from the beginning. What's more, even seeking to any point works.

Anyone else notice this or am I just seeing things?

You can do the same thing on iTunes, on a Mac...
say you have musicarchive.mp3.zip and you change to musicarchive.mp3.zip.mp3, iTunes will attempt to play the whole file... though you don't get to see all the tracks, instead it'll appear as one continuous album. It'll be more impressive if you could play a .sitx audio archive! :D