Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
I've got an iBook that stopped working a few weeks ago. It ran fine off of a battery, but won't charge. I replaced the DC board and the power adapter, but it still won't run or charge off the battery. I think the original power adapter was bad and ruined the original DC board and the new one. I'm going to try one more DC board and if it doesn't work then give up the parts on eBay.

Problem is, I need the data off the hard drive. Is there anyone in the Kansas City area who has an iBook 14" 1.42 GHz and would would be willing to charge the batteries for me? I wonder if the Apple Store might do this? This way, I can turn on the iBook and copy the data to another machine.

Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd try the Apple Store first for a battery or power adapter.

Then again you can always open the bugger up and get the hard drive out.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
I called the Apple Store on the Plaza and they said they would. Not sure if the gal understood what I was really trying to do. Might take it down there tomorrow and see.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
The Apple Store will charge for you, I was without my laptop charger for a few days and left it with them for a few hours each day. Great guys :D

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
My wife took the battery to the Apple Store in Kansas City but they couldn't charge it. I had called beforehand and asked and was told they could do it. I called them after my wife left to find out what the deal was. They said we could have put the battery in one of the notebooks on display, but they don't have an iBook on display (obviously). I know when I called that I specifically mentioned iBook. I assumed they have some battery chargers for various batteries.

So, I'm still looking for someone with a 14" iBook 1.42 GHz to charge a battery for me. Please!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.