PDA

View Full Version : How does syncing work?

Howard Brazee
Jan 3, 2008, 09:00 PM
If I have my iPod to sync anything - does the iPod know which iTunes is my primary iTunes? What happens when I take it to work and plug it in?

(I've been doing this, but am not sure what happens).

mad jew
Jan 3, 2008, 09:01 PM
If it's set to automatically sync, then it'll ask to be reset and take on your work library. You don't have to allow this, though. The iPod will be attached to one iTunes library, unless you set it to be manually managed.

Howard Brazee
Jan 3, 2008, 09:17 PM
If it's set to automatically sync, then it'll ask to be reset and take on your work library. You don't have to allow this, though. The iPod will be attached to one iTunes library, unless you set it to be manually managed.

I turn off the synching in the first tab, and on in some of the other tabs. It doesn't ask me anything when I plug it in.

mad jew
Jan 3, 2008, 09:29 PM
It sounds like you're manually managing your iPod then. Cool.

Howard Brazee
Jan 3, 2008, 09:44 PM
It sounds like you're manually managing your iPod then. Cool.

Until my recent problems with iTunes aborting, I manually manage only when I'm ready to unplug my iPod from home.

Now I'm trying to isolate just which stuff make it abort, and waiting for Max Expo when I plan on replacing my Windows machine with a Mac Pro.

mad jew
Jan 3, 2008, 10:40 PM
Mate, what exactly is your problem and what OS does the problem occur? :)

Howard Brazee
Jan 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
Mate, what exactly is your problem and what OS does the problem occur? :)

My iPod has been mostly empty the last week or so - whenever I try copying much it gets an abort - if I select debug nothing happens, if I select send to Microsoft, it does. At the moment, I just restarted, but there still are 6 iTunes icons over next to the time in the Windows time.

If I sync one video it aborts, if I try syncing music playlists, the abort is several hundred songs in - I haven't narrowed it down to a particular song (My computer is slow).

At first I could set it to manual and drag some of my playlists to my iPod, but now I seem to not be able to drag there anymore.

My hard drive part of my iPod appears to work fine.

Howard Brazee
Jan 4, 2008, 08:56 AM
Interesting - I copied some of my videos to my iPod's hard drive, took them to work, had iTunes open them, and they opened fine. I then dragged them to my iPod successfully.

So the problem's with my home Windows machine. I may just have to live with it until I get my Mac.