Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hey guys i have a small concern maybe some of you might be able to help.

Ok so I applied for apple online in hope that I would get hired there. Concidering the fact that I mad the switch and enjoy using and talking about mac, I figured i would be a great candidate to help others out there in purchasing their apple product.

So they never contacted me again. This past weekend i went to the the apple store nearby and I noticed a customer had a questions regarding a product and the sales person didn't know the answer. I told my fiancé, "you see babe?... I could of answered her question... Why doesn't apple hire me?"

Well as I walked away, I saw my fiancé talk to the manager. Then I walked over and she introduced me to her. I didn't know what was going on. Then the manager asked me if i was interested in working for apple. I said, yes I am. I applied at apple a while ago and was waiting for a responce. So the got the other head manager.

I was sooo happy! Then the head manager asked me acouple of questions regarding what i use the mac for. What basic things do i know, and i explained to him that i spend most of my time reading on forums and learning about mac and i feel i would be a great help to the company.

Well he walked me over to one of the mac's and pulled up my application. Asked me if that was me. then while he asked me to fill in some other basic things he told me how much he was able to pay me. I said that would be great. Then he went to the back and came back. Told me they would send me a online background verification thing and i have to approve it and send it back. Then he would be contacting me soon after. If i don't hear from him by wednesday (1-2-2008) to call him.

Well I was happy. My Fiancé said i already have the job, but i don't want to go to ahead. Anyway i get home and there it is. The email to verify. I electronically signed (printed my name) and sent it. Hours later i got a email confirming the receipt of the document.

Well Wednesday comes and i called him at 3pm. The girl who picked up the phone said he was nowhere to be found and if i wanted to leave a message. I said yes, my name and phone number.

No call back. Then i call him at 6pm and i think the same girl picked up and placed me on hold, then told me he already left. So i said ok.

I emailed him letting him know i filled out the thing and sent it. Also that i called him and left my name and number in case he needed to contact me.

Well today (thursday) i get an email from him telling me thanks for the update and he will be getting in contact with me when he hears from Hire Right.

So what do you guys think?.. is this normal?.. I'm just scared i guess. BTW i'm not scared about my past, i don't have anything in my past that would harm me.

I guess i'm wondering how it goes for the once who are working for apple retail? I really hope he calls me tomorrow or next week. I'm ready to work for apple and help them and customers! BTW, this is for a part time position, but he told me that they could bunk me to full time. I told him that would be great. Thing is i already have a full time with benefits and all at the bank. But if i like it.. hey who knows.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
good luck!!! working at an apple store would be one of the funnest jobs i can think of. how much do they pay?
anyway, again, good luck!!!
Jake

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Luckyyy! Working at an Apple Store would be really cool. Good luck with getting the position.
Thank you :)

sounds good dont stress though. dont call too much either

never put all your eggs in one basket. apply to some other places too.

Thanks for the advise. i will def stop calling lol. Once i sent him the email i knew to back off. Obviously he would get it, now it's time to just wait. And i'm not really interested in applying anywhere else. I have have a full time job at the bank that I've been in for 2 years now. I've been in banking for total of 3 years. This is just something i would like to do at nights, and maybe turn into something great.

good luck!!! working at an apple store would be one of the funnest jobs i can think of. how much do they pay?
anyway, again, good luck!!!
Jake

Well regarding pay i can't really discuss. But for a part time at the mall, it's not bad at all!

To the OP:

If you get hired @ Apple, say goodbye to MR and you'll sign a 5 year nda contract too.. Yes the nda is requirement of employment @ the retail level too..

Even the retail level doesn't know 'bout future product releases..
Thanks for the reply. What is MR? what is NDA? I don't understand what that stands for? can you please explain. It sounds like it has to do with drugs. well if it is, i'm drug free! :cool: I'm also aware that i will not know about future releases... It's cool by me.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
MR is macrumors.

Even employees at the retail level are required to stay off of forums. You can't post or anything like that or have an account. I mean, I supposed there is nothing keeping you from reading them, but you can't participate in any apple related rumors site or forums of the sort even when hired at the retail level.

the NDR or whatever I believe is the contract that says this. I may be wrong :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
By the way Hire Right and the holiday usually means delays so do not be worried. I would dump the whole "well I spend time on mac forums" BS because that would only make me (if I were the hiring manager) be concerned that you would continue to spend time here (which they all do) and post here (which some do) and perhaps open your trap about it.

Otherwise, good going for your fiance to speak for you about the job. She's a real go-getter. Hope you have a full time job as well though. Part time at the mall + looming marriage seems a bit...ill prepared?

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Otherwise, good going for your fiance to speak for you about the job. She's a real go-getter. Hope you have a full time job as well though. Part time at the mall + looming marriage seems a bit...ill prepared?

The OP has already said twice that he already has a full time job at a Bank and has for 3 years. :rolleyes:

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Thanks for the reply. What is MR? what is NDA? I don't understand what that stands for? can you please explain. It sounds like it has to do with drugs. well if it is, i'm drug free! :cool: I'm also aware that i will not know about future releases... It's cool by me.

MR = MacRumors

nda = non disclosure agreement .. it means not to talk about apple workings front and behind the scenes etc .. and that agreement lasts 5 years after you leave the company even if you were there just 90 days .. no talking on operations etc until that 5 year period has expired.. :eek:

So if you get hired February / 1 /2008 then until February / 2 /2013 << using that as example

Yes i know some apple employee requirements because Apple actually posted the info on their own site for a lil bit of time then realized the error ..

Currently i don't 'work' for said company that's why i'm still here.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

edit: If you break it during your employment, you can be fired.. if you break it after your employment but before the 5 yr period is over..you can be sued by Apple lawyers..

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Damn I wish it was that easy for me to get a job at Apple for me.

I had an interview back in the Summer then recently in December to no avail. Same manager as well, calls me and tells me again that they are not hiring me.

Apple could give a crap about you knowing a Mac at this point it seems. They want you to sell. What makes no sense is how you can sell something you don't know squat about?

Congrats on getting the job though!

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Ohh wow! I didn't know it was that serious. well I guess i don't mind not posting anymore. I mean before i signed up for the forum all i did was search search and search. That's where i get my knowledge really. If i'm not allowed to post then i will just read.

If i'm not allowed to be on the forum period, that's kind of crazy. I guess i would have to buy books on iworks, leopard, etc... to gain knowledge in software so i can be good in any aspect. I was planning on doing so anyway because i feel when someone come up to me regarding computer or software, i want to be able to not only hit them up with opinions, also FACTS.

Man i hope i get contacted by him today.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Damn I wish it was that easy for me to get a job at Apple for me.

I had an interview back in the Summer then recently in December to no avail. Same manager as well, calls me and tells me again that they are not hiring me.

Apple could give a crap about you knowing a Mac at this point it seems. They want you to sell. What makes no sense is how you can sell something you don't know squat about?

Congrats on getting the job though!

Yeah i understand. You don't know HOW many times i walked into apple and customers ask questions that are easily answered but the sales people don't know about. I mean what i would do is spend some time on apple.com in the store section and read about their products. Pricing, what's included what's now, sales, etc...

I guess since i'm not going to be working in the genius department, there is no real reason for me to learn about os in dept and troubleshooting, of cours i would refer to mac geniuses, but i want to know the products i sell.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Learn iLife, the OS. You need to be able to do quick little demos for potential customers. Gotta be able to couple the AppleCare with the Mac.

There's more to it but I can't think of it at the moment.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Ohh wow! I didn't know it was that serious. well I guess i don't mind not posting anymore. I mean before i signed up for the forum all i did was search search and search. That's where i get my knowledge really. If i'm not allowed to post then i will just read.

If i'm not allowed to be on the forum period, that's kind of crazy. I guess i would have to buy books on iworks, leopard, etc... to gain knowledge in software so i can be good in any aspect. I was planning on doing so anyway because i feel when someone come up to me regarding computer or software, i want to be able to not only hit them up with opinions, also FACTS.

Man i hope i get contacted by him today.

I hope that i didn't kill your prospects for working @ Apple...

The pay is based on regional pay and conforms to your local/state pay rate for retail pay.. (like me -- it would range from $8.50 up to $19.00 range) the minimum base is like answering phone etc .. the $19.00 is genius position thats per hour rate.. it's still a retail job, so it has perks n negatives too..

To get know the product by using etc.. especially the iLife suite.. everything else is to do is research products that deal with mac.. during my work experience @ my last job.. i knew about 60% more on apple products then my other co-workers did.. why: i do my research on the subject and using it on a daily basis..

The biggest sale @ my work was done by me of Apple products.. total was $ 7,200 (US) that was for a Graphics/Video company. :eek: :D

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
well it's been 8 days and no call yet... Guess nothing is going to happened. Well it was cool while it lasted. The anticipation and all. :(

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Ok well there is good news and bad news.

Good news: They emailed me to go in for a members meet. And also in the email it explained they have growth within the company and full time also part time.

BAD news: I saw the address and th e location in which i will be working for will be 1 hour and 30 minutes away from my house.

Now what do you guys think i should do?.. I mean i am still going to the meet, and i guess i will explain the distance and if there is something closer to my house. If not, would you guys travel 1.5 hours for work? I really am interested in Apple Company and i believe with my sales and knowledge i can be a really good asset to company.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast

Good news: They emailed me to go in for a members meet. And also in the email it explained they have growth within the company and full time also part time.

BAD news: I saw the address and th e location in which i will be working for will be 1 hour and 30 minutes away from my house.

Now what do you guys think i should do?.. I mean i am still going to the meet, and i guess i will explain the distance and if there is something closer to my house. If not, would you guys travel 1.5 hours for work? I really am interested in Apple Company and i believe with my sales and knowledge i can be a really good asset to company.

An hour and a half each way to work retail? I think not...

If it was Apple corporate, that's one thing, but you may as well try to get a job at the Apple section in Best Buy at that point.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Go and let them know that you are serious about working for Apple. Let them know that you would love to improve the sales of Apple products at a location near your house. However, I would never drive 1.5 hours to work in the mall....

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Go and let them know that you are serious about working for Apple. Let them know that you would love to improve the sales of Apple products at a location near your house. However, I would never drive 1.5 hours to work in the mall....

Yes, that is what i had planned. I was going to let them know how serious i am in wanted to join their staff. Also if it would be possible to relate somewhere near where i live. Now if they can in the near future (say 1 month) i really don't mind. I will get to know the products a bit more and going to the closer location will be great also if i can get my foot in the door.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.

Now it all depends on how much you want it. Think of it as a starting position. You will probably never start at exactly the position you want at any company.

I just changed jobs. I used to be a 10 minute drive from home with free parking and good money. I moved to a 45 minute commute on the train (45 minutes on a good day) and less money. But I'm doing what I want. The money will go up eventually, but I look at what I'm doing now as a start. I wanted to work for this company in a big way, so I had to make a couple of sacrifices. And I'm really glad I did.

No-one on here can tell you what you should do. 90 minutes is a long way for a retail job, but if you could move to somewhere that was 20 minutes away after being there for 3 months wouldn't it be worth it? And if that part time position turned into full time wouldn't that first 3 months seem like nothing?

Go and check it out. Talk to them about moving closer to home. Talk to them about full time.

Most of all, do what you love doing and keep your options open.

Cheers.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Thanks. I currently have a full time position here at the bank. I have been in banking for over 3 years. The thing is i believe working for apple would be a great move. I would be so motivated and interested in moving up to corporate. That's where i would love to work for. If it turns into a career, relocating wouldn't really be a problem.

I will go and meet with the staff. I will tell them my situation and if they can relocate me that would be great. If they say no. Then there is nothing I can do but ask them to keep my appliation so if a posistion opens near near, i would be available.

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
billmister: where in Jersey are you? I know there are a lot of stores and some are not that far away from each other (GS Plaza and Tice's Corner)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Thanks. I currently have a full time position here at the bank. I have been in banking for over 3 years. The thing is i believe working for apple would be a great move. I would be so motivated and interested in moving up to corporate. That's where i would love to work for. If it turns into a career, relocating wouldn't really be a problem.

I will go and meet with the staff. I will tell them my situation and if they can relocate me that would be great. If they say no. Then there is nothing I can do but ask them to keep my appliation so if a posistion opens near near, i would be available.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Apple Retail and Apple Corporate are two distinct divisions. In other words, there's really no ladder to climb.

Maybe having Apple retail on your resume might help in applying for an Apple Corporate position, but I'm not even sure about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.