PDA

View Full Version : Safari quit unexpectedly, do you all have the same problem?

seasurfer
Jan 3, 2008, 10:14 PM
My Safari always quit unexpectedly. At least once a day. Do you have similar problem?

mad jew
Jan 3, 2008, 10:33 PM
Nah. Is it always on the same site(s)? Do you have any third party plugins installed? What version of Safari and OSX do you have? :)

SoLibertyDies
Jan 4, 2008, 02:28 AM
friggen myspace :rolleyes:

theLimit
Jan 4, 2008, 03:49 AM
It happens to me all the time since Safari 3, but it happens less with each update. It also crashes more on my Intel mini than my G4 PB.

Surely
Jan 4, 2008, 07:18 AM
My Safari always quit unexpectedly. At least once a day. Do you have similar problem?

Yes, it happens way too often. Already once today, and I think twice yesterday.

It's not always on the same website, and it's not always during the same type of use.

I do notice that it does happens if a page is loading, and I decide I'd rather look at a different page (via a bookmark) in the same tab during the load.

I hope all the reports that I've sent to Apple will help them to better stabilize Safari.

AdeFowler
Jan 4, 2008, 07:33 AM
Never (and I mean Never!) on two PPC macs.

seasurfer
Jan 4, 2008, 07:40 AM
Nah. Is it always on the same site(s)? Do you have any third party plugins installed? What version of Safari and OSX do you have? :)

I just got 1 more unexpected quit again today. Safari is really unstable.

I am using the latest version of everything.

I have plugins installed like most people do. Which plug in do you refer?

Tygernoot
Jan 4, 2008, 07:41 AM
It happens to me sometimes on a news site that uses flash. Safari gets stuck for a few seconds when loading the page (usually spinning beach ball) and then crashes. Doesn't happen a lot, but it seems to happening more since the 10.5.1 update though.

Also Safari crashed at least once a day on my girlfriend's mac (still in 10.4 though). I then reset Safari (plus removed all cookies and other stuff), repaired permissions and it seemed to be working a lot better again.

Safari still seems a bit crash-prone but overall the stability is OK enough to work with it. I even use it now on my windows PC as well :).

silbeej
Jan 4, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm getting it a lot on my 10.4.11 update. Also Mail and some other OSX standard programs have done it since the update.

Osarkon
Jan 4, 2008, 07:45 AM
I find it crashes a lot more when visiting sites that have flash videos on them, however even this seems to be a lot better since the last update.

Before the last update Safari would crash at least once a day with me, now it barely ever does.

Catfish_Man
Jan 4, 2008, 10:40 AM

Speed Download is definitely crashy; Saft, SafariStand, and several others have all been known to cause problems as well. Basically, if it's in the InputManagers folder, it's under at least a little suspicion.

bingefeller
Jan 4, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hmm, I'm using Safari 2.0.4 on OS 10.4.8 and I have no problems. I mostly use it to play pool on Yahoo and sometimes for browsing and I don't have any extra plug-ins or anything like that. Maybe you could try deleting the preferences file or repairing permissions.

ucfgrad93
Jan 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm using Safari 3.0.4 (523.12) on 10.4.11 and on a rare occasion, it will close unexpectedly.

riscy
Jan 4, 2008, 01:25 PM
I cannot get Safari to even open up - this is a known "issue" with proxies.
These are links to apple discussions:

Link 1 (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6182021&tstart=0)
Link 2 (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6189636)

mad jew
Jan 4, 2008, 06:45 PM

Just tell us which plugins you've got and we can work from there. :)

GSMiller
Jan 4, 2008, 07:12 PM
It happened to me last night while playing Yahoo! Literati. It said it was caused by the Flash Player plugin, so it was probably one of those stupid flash ads :rolleyes:

DIE FLASH, DIE!!!

DiamondMac
Jan 4, 2008, 09:26 PM
Yes, Safari does crash once a day it seems if not more depending on what sites I go to.

Upgrading to Leopard was a great idea but Safari's instability is shocking and annoying.

SilverSpy
Feb 4, 2008, 02:29 AM
Everytime I visit myspace with safari it closes down automatically! It's pretty stupid I think

decadentdave
Feb 4, 2008, 03:03 AM
Since installing the latest update to Firefox last week, it crashes at least 2 or 3 times per day and I have to restore my session. Annoying. Never had this problem before the update.

BlakTornado
Feb 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
Happened to me when loading Engadget's RSS on Safari 3 for Tiger. It sucked. Badly. ALL the time. I could rarely look at it.

That said, it still makes Safari hang and sometimes crash when I try to read it it now that I have Leopard... I guess it's just a HECK OF A BIG RSS feed. (Anyone else experienced this!?)

iCeFuSiOn
Feb 4, 2008, 05:36 PM
I've never noticed this on my machine running 10.5.1, Safari 3 has been rock solid even on multiple flash pages with several (read: 10-20) tabs open, and I close them, open a new tab group, or just close the window or quit the program entirely and it's never once crashed. Do you have any Safari add-ons installed?

awbazar
Feb 6, 2008, 08:05 PM
I was initially amazed at the rare incidents of crashes when I started using OSX 10.3.9 Now that I cast it off to run OSX 10.5.1 I encounter at least a half dozen crashes on Safari. Safari on OSX 10.5.1 is a total disaster.

Me1000
Feb 6, 2008, 08:27 PM
I get it all the time on my MacBook when I load a site with a lot of AJAX (digg and Facebook mainly) or when I have more than 9 tabs open...

it really is a pain in the butt, but safari 3 have a cool feature to restore the previous session (under the history menu)

dsl4c
Feb 6, 2008, 08:40 PM
adobes flash plugin kills my safari ocassionally, darn those pesky flash videos..

ntrigue
Feb 6, 2008, 10:25 PM
Sure it occurs on my end. I don't really care so much. There was speculation that it eats up RAM the longer it is open. So I like to close it for a break anyway.

Me1000
Feb 6, 2008, 11:23 PM
Sure it occurs on my end. I don't really care so much. There was speculation that it eats up RAM the longer it is open. So I like to close it for a break anyway.

that is defiantly true, I have istat pro installed and my macbook will show about 35MB of memory free, after I close Safari it goes up to about 500MB!
:eek:

awbazar
Feb 7, 2008, 06:49 AM
Not having any significant knowledge of the innerworkings of computers, I do have a potential clue on the Safari quit which someone might understand at a useful level.

I'm using a PowerMac G5 with OSX 10.5.1, Dual processor @ 2.0 GHZ

I almost consistently get the quit when making attachments to Yahoo email notes. Virtually 95% of all quits take place when hitting the "choose" button when trying to make attachments or during the attaching process. This is exasperating especially when attaching to a relatively well thought out or lengthy note which is then vaporized. My only defense, now that I know about it is to save the note to "draft" first, just in case the attaching process blows the note away.

I have also resorted to copy and pasting my entire note elsewhere and then using a different email service which is associated with my internet service provider. I don't use it most of the time since it is a somewhat clunky looking email service but it never bombs when making attachments which Yahoo email and Safari do.

If anyone knows what goes on during the file attaching process, this might be a clue to me as to what I can do to fix the problem at least on Yahoo email.

I also get Safari crashes simply when looking at web sites or switching among various links without realizing any specific reason for the quit but his is much less frequent than the bomb on email attachments which I have been encountering.

Any clues??

mjlwriter
Aug 17, 2008, 11:25 PM
Have had Safari since updating to OS X v, 10.3.9. I never have updated Safari, so I'm at 1.3.2. I've never had difficulties with it crashing all together or just hanging with the spiralling ball. For a couple of months now, I've been having that problem.... Wondering if proceeding with the update(s) will help. Any thoughts if anyone is visiting this topic anymore.

Btw, does anyone know how to download a movie through Safari to the desktop.

Thanks!

mad jew
Aug 22, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, it's usually a good idea to keep your apps up to date. Downloading a movie is often a case of just clicking on the link... Where are you wanting to download from? Do you know what format it's in?

awbazar
Aug 23, 2008, 07:47 AM
After my nth bug report on Safari quitting unexpectedly and several update downloads, version 3.1.2 of Safari finally is about par with my first experience with it about 4 years ago...seldom a glitch.

The PC similarities which have been creeping into Macs seem to be the demise of the relatively glitch-free prior performance. Such things as auto-fill and other features which appear to demonstrate how "smart" the computer is are total crap in my view. The help features which produce feedback results as soon as one or two words are typed in to describe the search topic are another example of ignoring the ergonomics of the human mind. I'd rather hit go after entering my key words than get a litany of feedback as soon as one word is typed in.

lio
Feb 6, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have the same problem with Safari , Version 4.0.4 and Mac OS X , Version 10.6.2. :(

The following message appears , every time safari quits unexpectedly :

"The application Safari quit unexpectedly. The problem may have been caused by the Flash Player plug-in."

Do you know what can I do?

I have installed the following plugins :

1)CANONiMAGEGATEWAYLI.plugin
2)DirectorShockwave.plugin
3)RealPlayer Plugin.plugin
4)JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
5)PimpKit.webplugin
6)Gears.plugin
7)CANONiMAGEGATEWAYDL.plugin
8)TVUPlugin.webplugin
9)QuickTime Plugin.plugin
10)iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
11)AdobePDFViewer.plugin
12)Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin
13)Flash Player.plugin
14)Quartz Composer.webplugin
15)Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
16)googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin
17)DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin

Is any of the above plugins unnecessary or may one (or more ) of them cause this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

psingh01
Feb 6, 2010, 08:21 PM
Sometimes flash ads crash Safari. But Safari is pretty buggy too. Whenever I click the button to show the top sites I get a spinning beach ball. If I click it after I've reset Safari then I have to wait for LONG time while it loads all the images for the sites.

I think it's poorly designed because the browser is pretty much locked up while it's retrieving the pages. This sucks for slow internet connections.