PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office for Mac 2008

MacBytes
Jan 4, 2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080104094905)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

skyrider007
Jan 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
I want/need it! Seems 10x better than iWork '08. I hate the UK rip off price though!

gerardrj
Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
Question about Entourage: Since the still insist on the monolithic database file, have they at least eliminated the 2GB limit that corrupted the database and made you loose all the stuff in it?

I STILL don't see why anyone in a home environment would use this package, iWork is much better suited, in price and functionality, to the vast majority of people who purchase office. Unless, as the article states, you collaborate with many people all using Office, MS Office just doesn't make sense.

I'm not bashing it because it's Microsoft, I'm bashing it because it's expensive, bloated and complex.

Airforce
Jan 4, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not bashing it because it's Microsoft, I'm bashing it because it's expensive, bloated and complex.

With a student/DoD/other discount, you can really get the price down. I absolutely think Office is worth $50 or so ;)

Manatee
Jan 4, 2008, 11:01 AM
I hadn't thought about Time Machine needing to make a new copy of the giant mail file everytime I send, receive, or delete an e-mail. That could become a big problem, and my mail file is about the last thing I want to exclude from Time Machine's backups. :(

walnuts
Jan 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
I hadn't thought about Time Machine needing to make a new copy of the giant mail file everytime I send, receive, or delete an e-mail. That could become a big problem, and my mail file is about the last thing I want to exclude from Time Machine's backups. :(

I already had to exclude my database file from my time machine with office 2004- my database is nearly 3 gigs large and that eats at your time machine drive rather quickly. I had a fleeting hope that they would fix this with 2008.

The only consolation is that backup isnt really necessary as the database should also be stored on the email server. If you ever need to restore it, you could have entourage restore, wait for HOURS for it to download again, and you'll be good as new.

psychofreak
Jan 4, 2008, 05:27 PM
I want/need it! Seems 10x better than iWork '08. I hate the UK rip off price though!

It won't be, iWork is much lighter and its almost certain this will have plenty of bugs, which iWork does not have.

dukebound85
Jan 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
It won't be, iWork is much lighter and its almost certain this will have plenty of bugs, which iWork does not have.

that's arrogant. ALL software has bugs (yes even iWork)

psychofreak
Jan 4, 2008, 05:46 PM
that's arrogant. ALL software has bugs (yes even iWork)

Of course, but I (and many others) have had no experience with iWork crashing at all. The reviews I have read of Office 08 include reports of crashes with only a few days of use.

dukebound85
Jan 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
Of course, but I (and many others) have had no experience with iWork crashing at all. The reviews I have read of Office 08 include reports of crashes with only a few days of use.

fair enough!

JSchwage
Jan 4, 2008, 05:51 PM
I just bought Office 2004 for $126, which entitles me to a free ($6 for shipping) upgrade to Office 2008. I'm definitely a happy camper. The Office 2008 user interface is so much improved over the interface in 2008.

On a side note, why in the heck can't I print documents using the "Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive"?! It's a trial version! Wouldn't you think that a trial version would allow you to try all the features? :confused:

Iroganai
Jan 4, 2008, 08:07 PM
Well, Keynote '08 crashed with the entire OS several times when I made it full-screen, which was later fixed... so nothing is perfect.

opuslab
Jan 5, 2008, 11:36 AM
Does anybody know if you can set the IMAP Path Prefix in the new Entourage?

walnuts
Jan 6, 2008, 07:15 AM
Question about Entourage: Since the still insist on the monolithic database file, have they at least eliminated the 2GB limit that corrupted the database and made you loose all the stuff in it?

Microsoft provided an answer on their blog page:

Compatibility with Apple’s Time Machine backup feature in Leopard is a database area that has received a lot of attention recently. Because Entourage uses a single file database, over time it can become large (sometimes really large). In those cases, Entourage data will not work optimally with Time Machine. Our recommendation is to exclude your Entourage Identity folder(s) in the Time Machine preferences and use alternative backup methods. We are committed to integrating with key Apple technologies and are weighing our options here for future releases.

pbbaker123
Jan 6, 2008, 09:50 AM
When are you people going to learn that MS hates Mac users.....

come on, wake up...

Samwise592
Jan 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
I don't like how none of these articles bring up NeoOffice... It's such an amazing suite of apps, compatibility with office is amazing from my experience... and you can't beat free!

opuslab
Jan 6, 2008, 11:08 AM
There we go, the hate word again... So, we are using MS Office on a Mac, so what? I've been using it since the OS 8.6 days, bought every upgrade they released, and I love it. It enables me to accomplish a task, and that's all I care about. And it really doesn't matter to me who is it made by. Some choose NeoOffice as their tool, some prefer iWork, and I will go with MS Office. They are all great programs, it's just a matter of personal preference. Just let it be.

Samwise592
Jan 6, 2008, 11:14 AM
i just dont understand why people would want to pay for something they could get for free.... especially if that meant not giving money to a corporation... apple included.

opuslab
Jan 6, 2008, 11:36 AM
i just dont understand why people would want to pay for something they could get for free.... especially if that meant not giving money to a corporation... apple included.

It's just a matter of a habit. I love Stella Artois, and I will never drink Miller just because some people think it's better and it costs less. I am not saying Stella is better, I just happen to like it more than other brands, as simple as that. When it comes to using a program, we're all used to a certain workflow, toolset, look, etc.. Changing to a different program always involves a learning curve (even if a very minor one), which some people would rather not go through. Everybody is doing things their way, and speaking personally, I won't look for a new program unless the one I am using doesn't fulfill my needs.

darwinian
Jan 6, 2008, 12:04 PM
I don't use Office programs a lot, but I vaguely remember Office 2004 always having a sluggish UI, which was more annoying than anything. OpenOffice/NeoOfficeJ suffered from this too until recently, in my experience.

Anyway, I'd be on board if this relatively simple issue was alleviated satisfactorily in 08.

pbbaker123
Jan 6, 2008, 12:14 PM
There we go, the hate word again... So, we are using MS Office on a Mac, so what? I've been using it since the OS 8.6 days, bought every upgrade they released, and I love it. It enables me to accomplish a task, and that's all I care about. And it really doesn't matter to me who is it made by. Some choose NeoOffice as their tool, some prefer iWork, and I will go with MS Office. They are all great programs, it's just a matter of personal preference. Just let it be.

Some of us are power Excel users and don't just keep lists of our favorite movies and such...

Most spread sheets of certain sophistication cannot be run by any Mac program... Excel 2004 will open them, but with errors... nothing else will even open them... why? because of Visual Basic coding and heavy macro use...

So, before you bash me for my thoughts, and yes, they are very negative towards MS, realize that corporate users are TOTALLY screwed by MS after 4 damn years of development!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total crap on us....

But I can see your point, my wife who is a home and SB user, has no qualms with an MS products....

pbbaker123
Jan 6, 2008, 12:16 PM

Look, I have iWork 08, Office 2004, NeoOffice, too.

Great. Not one of them is compatible beyond basic "home user" functionality.

opuslab
Jan 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
Most spread sheets of certain sophistication cannot be run by any Mac program...

Looks like the Windows is the only solution to this sophistication. And that would be a completely different forum.

2hondas
Jan 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
When is the exact date of release? :confused:

EDIT: January 15th.

pbbaker123
Jan 7, 2008, 10:24 AM
Looks like the Windows is the only solution to this sophistication. And that would be a completely different forum.

Probably, I am just mad as crap at MSFT!

D-Swallow
Jul 19, 2010, 06:32 PM
I am sitting here trying to use MS Word for some important work but instead I feel compelled to express how criminally sh*^ this program is:

I want to copy and paste a large amount of text into a table, every time I press tab to indent some bullet points, it jumps to another window on the table.
When I resize one window, it jumps to fill the whole screen and so do all the other boxes in the table so that it takes up 19 pages.

To whoever designed this program: try and carry out some basic functions like labelling pages 1 - 7 after a page break or making bullet points within a table. Come on, I dare you!

mikes70mustang
Jul 19, 2010, 10:06 PM
worst office program ever created.