Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weddle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
This has probably been asked lots before but I am new here. Any word/rumors on when an iPod Touch with a greater capacity than 16GB might be available? I have held out on buying one for probably as long as I can now and I think that the hard drive on my old 40GB iPod Photo is about to crash (lots of clicking noises and trouble syncing).

Should I go ahead and get the 16GB or is there any chance of something larger coming out in the next six months????

Retired
May 16, 2006
There's a good chance that 32GB will come within 6 months in my opinion, but thats a long time, and there's always something new around the corner...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, there's a chance, as always. It's inevitable that there will be a 32GB version, but we don't know when it'll be out. Probably before Xmas. Maybe before fall. Possibly in a few weeks.

But probably not until summer or later.

weddle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Yes, there's a chance, as always. It's inevitable that there will be a 32GB version, but we don't know when it'll be out. Probably before Xmas. Maybe before fall. Possibly in a few weeks.

But probably not until summer or later.

Exactly! If I got one today, they would announce the new one tomorrow. That is the joy of technology!

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
well creative have done 32GB flash based device so logic says apple will at some point, when well thats another question

Forkaster

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2007
id say sept.....7th

we will see 16 and 32 for the same prices

Come on man, you think Apple would sleep that long while creative rolls out their 32Gb?

Yeah, so iPT is Multi-Touch and all that, but Creative's selling their crappy player for 329$, thats almost as much as the 8 Gb iPT. I am expecting Apple to discontinue iPT 8 Gb, set iPT 16 Gb price to 300$, introduce the iPT 32 Gb for 400$ which i believe is a good deal, in the next 2-3 months.

Of course the rest of the line might see some storage updates.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Don't you think that if apple discontinues the 8GB iPod Touch and comes out with a 32GB iPT this soon there will be a lot of angry people like it happened with the iPhone when they lowered the price?

Forkaster

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2007
Don't you think that if apple discontinues the 8GB iPod Touch and comes out with a 32GB iPT this soon there will be a lot of angry people like it happened with the iPhone when they lowered the price?

Like they did when i bought my Macbook Pro? I bought the 1.83 Ghz, week later pop goes the 2.0 Ghz (and a better HDD or superdrive (dun remember)) for a tad bit less then what i gave for mine. That was simply great. And i've been checking the MRBG i've noticed that it has happened before, iPod revs in September and in February of the year after.

And note that i have not said they will do that this month, it could well be around the release of the SDK. Or are you expecting Apple to stay with ( Gb and 16 Gb eternally just so everyone is happy that their product is still being sold by Apple.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Like they did when i bought my Macbook Pro? I bought the 1.83 Ghz, week later pop goes the 2.0 Ghz (and a better HDD or superdrive (dun remember)) for a tad bit less then what i gave for mine. That was simply great. And i've been checking the MRBG i've noticed that it has happened before, iPod revs in September and in February of the year after.

And note that i have not said they will do that this month, it could well be around the release of the SDK. Or are you expecting Apple to stay with ( Gb and 16 Gb eternally just so everyone is happy that their product is still being sold by Apple.

I'm not saying that Apple should stay with 8GB and 16GB forever but I would be mad if they released the 32GB this soon and the price was what I payed for my 16GB. Just like what happened with the iPhone price drop.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
id say sept.....7th

we will see 16 and 32 for the same prices
Seconded.
Come on man, you think Apple would sleep that long while creative rolls out their 32Gb?

Yeah, so iPT is Multi-Touch and all that, but Creative's selling their crappy player for 329$, thats almost as much as the 8 Gb iPT. I am expecting Apple to discontinue iPT 8 Gb, set iPT 16 Gb price to 300$, introduce the iPT 32 Gb for 400$ which i believe is a good deal, in the next 2-3 months.

Of course the rest of the line might see some storage updates.

Yup. Apple has never once been concerned about keeping up with other companies specs. Other companies are concerned about keeping up with Apple. Creative has to offer more capacity to give them any sort of competitive advantage over Apple. Apple can rely on the quality of their device and services to bring in a higher margin.

Apple normally introduces improved or new lines of iPod's in September so I don't expect to see any new ones till then.

Exactly. It'll be about a week after the back to school rebates end, just like every other iPod update.

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
I'm happy with my 8 gig iPod Touch. If they release a 32 gig version and drop the 16 gig to 300$ in couple months I won't be mad. Happens every time you buy something, a new and bigger version always comes out a few months later.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
I would at least wait until MWSF, its only 9 days away. As the other posters have said, they typically roll out new updates in Sept., but it can't hurt waiting only a little over a week to see what Apple has up their sleeve. Then at least you'll know you didn't buy a touch to find out a week later they double the size or something.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I'd wait for Mac Expo in 9 days. I want a new desktop. Nine days won't kill me, even if I was desperate for a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.