PDA

View Full Version : Apple Online Store Doesn't Support Safari

coolsoldier
Oct 7, 2003, 09:50 PM
Of course it's not a huge problem because Safari seems to work fine with the apple store, but, ironically, according to apple, store.apple.com doesn't support the use of safari on their site.

From the Apple store:

Do I need a specific browser to shop in the Apple Store?

To shop in the Apple Store you need one of these browsers:

Netscape Navigator 3.0 or later for Macintosh or Windows
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x or later for Macintosh or Windows
AOL 3.0.1 or later

For a better shopping experience, we recommend that you use Netscape Navigator 4.x or later or Microsoft internet Explorer 4.x or later

Edit: link is here (http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual.woa/70801/wo/s79JnmUBjnJW331fFzL240pkIj1/1.3.0.5.5.2.1.3.1.1.0?140,11)

Ramsos
Oct 8, 2003, 01:16 PM
Thats kinda weird.

MacsRgr8
Oct 8, 2003, 01:35 PM
whoa.. that's an old "requirement"

Nice find :D

yamabushi
Oct 8, 2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah they should update that.:eek:

baby duck monge
Oct 8, 2003, 03:09 PM
i thought that safari was considered to be some form of netscape, or something :confused:

pepeleuepe
Oct 8, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by baby duck monge
i thought that safari was considered to be some form of netscape, or something :confused:

I think safari disguises itself as Netscape when it has to. This way it can still load sites that are very picky about the browser used, for example, online banking services. As far as I know, Safari doesn't use any code directly from the Mozilla browser, which is what Netscape is based on.

panphage
Oct 8, 2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by pepeleuepe
I think safari disguises itself as Netscape when it has to. This way it can still load sites that are very picky about the browser used, for example, online banking services. As far as I know, Safari doesn't use any code directly from the Mozilla browser, which is what Netscape is based on.

Safari uses the KHTML rendering engine from KDE's Konqueror browser/file manager. There's no mozilla in there that I know of but I don't know everything.