PDA

View Full Version : Do your clothes smell after washing them?

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 4, 2008, 02:30 PM
Look, I'm a big guy - but do cut me some credit here.

I got a front-loading washer almost a year ago - and ever since, my clothes have not smelled clean. After coming out of the wash, they smell like -- like a beach towel left in a plastic bag for 2 days. After the dryer, you can hardly detect it (thank you, dryer sheets).

But here is the catch, after wearing these clothes - once you perspire ANY bit - the smell comes back!!!

I've tried multiple detergents, and yes I'm using the HE detergents my machine says to use.

I tried bleaching / running hot water through it - and this still didn't stop it.

I'm now leaving the door open after washing, and I kick it almost every night in the dark - but I was told this would stop mold from growing - and that was the problem I had...

So - no dice yet. It's not my town water (old washer was fine), and i even tried putting a water filter on it. (you know, to improve the taste of water for drinking) Didn't work.

I also tried checking the drain catch-basin after reading that some HE washers empty water faster - causing the catch-basin to empty completely - allowing sewer gasses back into the washer. A this isn't the smell I speak of, and B - it turned out not to be the problem in my case.

Can anyone help me here? I'm sick of smelling bad, and can't stand "masking" the smell via cologne / scents. I just want to be clean.

Help!

Eric Piercey
Jan 4, 2008, 02:34 PM
How long are they sitting in there between the finish of being washed and being put in the dryer?

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
No more than 2 hours, tops.

adk
Jan 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
Are you talking about a mildew type smell? Sometimes my clothes smell a little like that when I take them out of the washing machine, but the smell never comes back after drying them.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah a mold / mildew smell. Like a pile of wet clothes left for a couple of days.

I've even tried all temperature variations / detergent levels / even multiple washes. (which seems to completely defeat the purpose of a High Efficiency washing machine - don't ya think?

jsw
Jan 4, 2008, 02:46 PM
Once the smell gets into them, it almost never comes out, and it happens when the clothes sit for too long, even once.

You might be out of luck for the currently smelly clothes. :(

Schtumple
Jan 4, 2008, 02:46 PM
Mine sometimes get like this, i think its too do with them being damp for too long, if possible, put them in the dryer asap, hope that helps.

Eric Piercey
Jan 4, 2008, 02:47 PM
Weird, mold shouldn't grow that quickly. It does seem like your water supply is tainted somehow.

QuarterSwede
Jan 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
That only happens to me if I forget about the clothes and leave them in the washer overnight. To get rid of it we just rewash them and dry.

The problem may have to do with the HE washer. High Efficency means not so great at washing is my guess. I'd assume it's like with most low flow toilets where if you crap you have to use a plunger most of the time.

Have you read any reviews on the washer itself? Also, what brand/model do you have?

emw
Jan 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
I also have the HE front-loading washer, but have never experienced what you're describing. We do, however, always leave the washer door open to prevent mold, which does indeed sound like what you're dealing with.

I'd think that if you did the hot water/bleach cycle without clothes (I believe you said you did) should clean up the problem, and I'm surprised it hasn't, especially on any new clothes you've washed since cleaning the washer.

You may need to use a color-safe bleach on some of your clothes to get the smell out of them, because as jsw mentions, once the smell is in the clothes it may be tough to get rid of it.

You may want to try washing some new clothes in the now-cleaned washer and see if they come back with the same smell. And I would suggest not letting clothes sit in the washer for 2 hours or so, as that will, eventually, contribute to the mold problem.

Frisco
Jan 4, 2008, 03:24 PM
No more than 2 hours, tops.

That's too long. Immediately put them in the dryer after washing.

QuarterSwede
Jan 4, 2008, 03:28 PM
That's too long. Immediately put them in the dryer after washing.
2 hours isn't going to cause noticeable mildew growth.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
2 hours isn't going to cause noticeable mildew growth.

Um, check their location. NJ. Things are different down there. ;)

Yeah - I didn't think 2 hours was that bad, and the HE washers take their sweat @$$ time washing, so it's rather hard to time it, because they never have a "set time".

ClassicBean
Jan 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
Same thing happened to me. Turned out some neighborhood kids secretly swapped by liquid tide with urine. Bunch of pranksters. Gotta love 'em though.

Dagless
Jan 4, 2008, 03:49 PM
When my folks go away I find my clothes smell a bit too, but once they're back and wash my clothes for me it's all business as usual. I definitely put them into the dryer as fast as possible too.

synth3tik
Jan 4, 2008, 03:55 PM
It seems like the wash may not be flushing the water out fully, or quickly enough. I use to have a front load at my old place. I dearly miss it. My cloths never had any bad smell after washing. I also go for neutralizing detergents as I do not like the smell that most of them have. Also this type of detergent may kill off that damp smell from your cloths. I don't know, just a guess.

eric55lv
Jan 4, 2008, 06:05 PM
Are you talking about a mildew type smell? Sometimes my clothes smell a little like that when I take them out of the washing machine, but the smell never comes back after drying them.

yeah thats what happens to me or if I leave the clothes in the waser for like 2or3 days then dry them they have that mildew smell

::Lisa::
Jan 4, 2008, 06:17 PM
I don't know if this is going to help any but I used to get the exact same smell on my daughters reusable nappies (diapers). There is a method us reusable nappy users use. It's called stripping (!) but anyway I'll explain. It might be a lot of fuss for you to do it but it may work for you. Worth giving it a try just once though to see if it helps.

OK here I go. Put load in washer as normal, put a teaspoon of washing up liquid (dish soap) in the wash and do quick wash and rinse. Repeat again but with a little vinegar. Then do a final wash with calgon liquid and usual detergent. Don't use fabric softener though as it puts a like waterproof barrier on your clothes which may actually be trapping the smell in your clothes, the same is said for those dryer sheets you are using! We don't use those in cloth diapering because of the film and making the diapers non-absorbent!

I hope that helps and I know your prob thinking woah, what a fuss! But it's worth a try once eh? And if it doesn't work, then you've tried. If it does... great!

smokeyrabbit
Jan 4, 2008, 06:45 PM
...nappies...

We got a front loader HE washer just to do our son's nappies and never had to do this ceremony to clean them. Just the normal wash cycle got everything out. Didn't use softener on diapers. If your clothes still stink after washing I think you need to check the rubber seals around the door to eliminate any mold that is there and then transfer the clothes immediately to the dryer as suggested above. Also, use a small scoop of oxyclean in your wash and see if that doesn't get rid of the smell.

true777
Jan 4, 2008, 07:05 PM
I doubt the smell you have is mildew, especially since it comes back as you perspire. More likely, the new washer doesn't get your smelly clothes completely clean. This is a common problem with high efficiency washers since they go overboard with water efficiency to the point that they barely get every part of the clothes wet before the rinse cycle, and then don't use enough water rinsing, either.

Best thing you can do is to either increase the water level, or the number of rinses, or both. If your washer has an "extra rinse" option, definitely use it. If your washer is a truly high end washer that offers a higher water level (sometimes called "water plus"), use that option, too.

If it doesn't offer a higher water level (most washers don't), you can do what I do with every high efficiency front load washer: Simply add about half a gallon to a gallon of water manually to the wash cycle by pouring it into the detergent chamber after the washer has finished filling with water. Again, wait until the washer has finished filling with water, and then pour a gallon of water into the detergent compartment using a pitcher, thusby increasing the water level. This will cause the detergent to be distributed more evenly, and the dirty clothes smell to be washed out completely without smelly residue staying behind that can build up after several washes.

If you want to be even more hard-core, also add water in the rinse cycle, though adding it to the wash cycle is the most important. Again, selecting the "extra rinse" option will also hugely help rinsing the dirt out of your clothes, so make sure you do the extra rinse every time -- have the option selected permanently if possible. Also, make sure to use fabric softener. I would almost bet getting your clothes more water to wash them will take care of your smelly clothes problem completely. If nothing helps, or if you don't want to bother with adding water manually, last resort would be to do a regular cycle with detergent but without fabric softener, and then immediately afterwards run an additional short cycle (on the same clothes) without detergent, but with fabric softener. You can do such a double cycle each time if nothing else helps.

balamw
Jan 4, 2008, 07:09 PM
Best thing you can do is to either increase the water level, or the number of rinses, or both.
Could it be that the loads are just too big? i.e reduce the amount of clothes to effectively increase the water level.

B

MacNut
Jan 4, 2008, 07:37 PM
Bleach the crap out of the washer to get the mold an mildew out.

GSMiller
Jan 4, 2008, 07:52 PM
Same thing happened to me. Turned out some neighborhood kids secretly swapped by liquid tide with urine. Bunch of pranksters. Gotta love 'em though.

Ewwww.....How did they have access to your bottle of Tide?

ErikCLDR
Jan 4, 2008, 08:59 PM
My house in RI is right on the water. It's so damp and there everything just smells. After your clean clothes are there for a day they are damp, smell bad, and just feel dirty. You can't even leave a box of cookies open for more than a day without them being soggy and gross.

Dehumidifiers and A/C helps a little. We're thinking of installing central a/c but its going to be tricky due to the design of the house.

savanahrose
Jan 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have a front loader myself. It smells moldy every once in awhile. I run bleach through my washer every so often to get rid of the smell. That usually clears it up for awhile.

::Lisa::
Jan 5, 2008, 07:10 AM
...nappies...

We got a front loader HE washer just to do our son's nappies and never had to do this ceremony to clean them. Just the normal wash cycle got everything out. Didn't use softener on diapers. If your clothes still stink after washing I think you need to check the rubber seals around the door to eliminate any mold that is there and then transfer the clothes immediately to the dryer as suggested above. Also, use a small scoop of oxyclean in your wash and see if that doesn't get rid of the smell.
I didn't for most of the time but once I did leave them too long and they got that smell. Washing diapers your not supposed to use too much detergent as it builds up on the diapers and can stop absorbency so it's recommended to follow those steps using diapers every so often anyway. You don't have to be that dramatic as to follow them all with diapers. You could do one or two.

I used to own a cloth diaper business, I think it's starting to show now lol.

I agree on checking the seals. If there is something wrong you can buy new seals. Another thing to check is the drawer. Mine actually gets mold in there, gross. I have to take the entire drawer out and clean it and get my hand in the drawer hole and clean the sprinklers as the mold goes around there too. Once that's gone I run the washer on a full wash with some detergent to ensure it cleans the drum and every little part the water goes. I'd also put the bleech in there too.

Good luck

njmac
Jan 5, 2008, 07:40 AM
Try hot water and color safe bleach.

Better yet, can you wash your clothes somewhere else? If you don't know anyone to ask, take them to the laundry mat once and see how it goes. If the clothes come clean there, then its your machines that are the prob. If they don't come clean there, it's the clothes.

Sun Baked
Jan 5, 2008, 07:55 AM
Try hot water and color safe bleach.

Better yet, can you wash your clothes somewhere else? If you don't know anyone to ask, take them to the laundry mat once and see how it goes. If the clothes come clean there, then its your machines that are the prob. If they don't come clean there, it's the clothes.

Or the person ... :p

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 5, 2008, 05:11 PM
1.5 Gallons of Bleach and Hot water through my washer today... Checked around the o-ring / rubber seal for mold / buildup - and found nothing. (this washer is not even a year old - and the *smell* started on day 1 we got it)

Moment of truth in 2 hours...
*prays*

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 5, 2008, 07:25 PM
VICTORY!!!

The Bleach + 2 "Empty" hot cycles seems to have done the trick.

So it is NOT me that is causing this smell. FYI.

So from now own - I'm going to run a hot water + bleach cycle every other month or so. (or when I start to smell the "moldy" smell again)

And I'm going to try keeping the door open after washing - but it is in the way of my walk-space, so I'm going to have to relocate this washer or something.

I'm all for doing the "right" thing environmentally - but this thing is a pain, top loaders may waste more water, but they're a heck of a lot faster washing, and don't have these weird quirks. Is the 20 gallons of waved water per load worth the gallon of bleach, and wasted energy/water required to keep mold buildup from occurring?

Lets hope this isn't a frequent event down the road.

MonksMac
Jan 5, 2008, 11:40 PM
VICTORY!!!

The Bleach + 2 "Empty" hot cycles seems to have done the trick.

So it is NOT me that is causing this smell. FYI.

So from now own - I'm going to run a hot water + bleach cycle every other month or so. (or when I start to smell the "moldy" smell again)

And I'm going to try keeping the door open after washing - but it is in the way of my walk-space, so I'm going to have to relocate this washer or something.

I'm all for doing the "right" thing environmentally - but this thing is a pain, top loaders may waste more water, but they're a heck of a lot faster washing, and don't have these weird quirks. Is the 20 gallons of waved water per load worth the gallon of bleach, and wasted energy/water required to keep mold buildup from occurring?

Lets hope this isn't a frequent event down the road.
I was just reading about this yesterday! Odd huh? Mold and Mildew smell seems to be a particularly prevalent problem on US front load washers. Especially Kenmore models. Just a heads up.:apple:

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 5, 2008, 11:53 PM
You'd NEVER guess what I have?

Kenmore. :o

MonksMac
Jan 6, 2008, 12:09 AM
You'd NEVER guess what I have?

Kenmore. :o

It seems to be a big problem on front loaders. I was reading about it on epinions the other day and found some helpful hints but I can't find that page now!:( Seems to be especially common on the HE3t, HE3,HE 4, and HE4t.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 6, 2008, 12:14 AM
What little faith I once had in Consumer Reports is now up in smoke. (for good)

My vacuum was "top rated" and turned out to be a POS. (and I didn't like the way it "felt" - should have gone with my gut and got the Meila instead)

Then this washer - I was iffy, salesman said top rated, busted out the documentation to prove this fact, and even my quick "google" while in the store, yielded the same results.

But obviously - not the case.

Meh. I learned from it. Sucks that it took 900 + dollars to do this, but still
"slightly" cheaper than college courses. ;)

From now own, I'm using my gut.

MonksMac
Jan 6, 2008, 12:21 AM
Hope things are better from now on!:cool:

QuarterSwede
Jan 6, 2008, 12:37 AM
Um, check their location. NJ. Things are different down there. ;)
Nice try, but I lived in NoVA until 6 months ago. I know how humid it is there.

Good to hear you figured out how to temporarily solve your problem. And thanks for letting me know how much HE washers suck. My gut said the did since every water saving device out there is crap (low flow toilets, shower heads, etc).

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 6, 2008, 12:43 AM
Nice try, but I lived in NoVA until 6 months ago. I know how humid it is there.

Good to hear you figured out how to temporarily solve your problem. And thanks for letting me know how much HE washers suck. My gut said the did since every water saving device out there is crap (low flow toilets, shower heads, etc).

I wasn't referring to the humidity level. ;) :D

Now - as for HE washers - trust me they don't all suck. I just happened to pick the series that REALLY does. :(

Should you get one - just be sure to do "real" research - and not trust any "source" no matter how unbiased and professional they're supposed to be.

That said - the wasteful washers DO wash a lot faster - no argument there.

GoCubsGo
Jan 6, 2008, 12:54 AM
I was just reading about this yesterday! Odd huh? Mold and Mildew smell seems to be a particularly prevalent problem on US front load washers. Especially Kenmore models. Just a heads up.:apple:I don't understand the correlation between the front loading and mold/mildew. How would that be more of an issue than say top-loader?

From now own, I'm using my gut.When I quoted this I had some unnecessary sexual reference but I forgot it. Thank Bombay for that memory lapse. :)

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
Front loaders form a tight seal, and traps moisture inside post-wash.

Top loaders do not tend to be airtight - (most have a large gap around the lid) - so they dry better and don't grow mold.

And if you want more reference:

Q: What do Rubbermaid and a Walrus have in common?

A: They both like a tight seal.

skinnylegs
Jan 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
Great thread! Compelling reading!

I have a fancy smancy HE front-loader (LG TROMM) and I too have noticed that moldy smell on occasion. Bleach does the trick for me but it also helps to clean out the discharge line filter on a regular basis.

LynneC
Mar 8, 2009, 02:41 PM
You can buy expensive tablets to put into your machine. Personally, I think using 1/2 to 1 cup of borax (available at grocery stores) into the machine with a load of towels and normal amount of soap will do the trick. It works for me!

scotty96LSC
Mar 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
I don't know what my wife uses, but my clothes do smell good after she washes them. I need to let her know that.

yojitani
Mar 8, 2009, 03:57 PM
OK. I haven't read all the posts in this thread so this might have already been said.

Front loaders are notoriously bad for mildew buildup inside the drum. I know about this because we had a problem with our machine (not a front loader) and it was impossible to find the information I needed because so many people were complaining about their front loader! I've heard from a lot of people (online) that this product works well: http://www.smellywasher.com/

I haven't tried it personally. We use a combination of vinegar and baking soda to clean ours about once a month. I'm not sure how well that would work with a front loader.

Anyway, search "smelly washing machine" in google to see what I mean about the ubiquity of these problems.

Incidentally, from what I've read, bleach doesn't work all that well...

marbles
Mar 8, 2009, 04:37 PM
I've read the whole thread and it was great, thanks,I even voted 5 stars(on the 'I've only just noticed it' thread scoring drop down).

I was so convinced I had the correct answer.....I thought that the filter that was blocked and the stuff in there, trapped-getting smelly...then mixing with the wash water during a cycle
Then he says this:
the *smell* started on day 1 we got it)

I am so surprised that it worked, just bleaching it, though I do run a bit of bleach through our machine once in a while . Been a great machine....once a penny got stuck in the pump filter, but that's it and we've had it for 7 years now,bought just after our first born arrived.I can heartily recommend this machine btw.

What do you think it was...maybe a residue left on from manufacturing ?.

This comment is pure wisdom imo:

[B]Meh. I learned from it. Sucks that it took 900 + dollars to do this, but still
"slightly" cheaper than college courses. ;)

* doffs cap

Edit* Just a tip to save on washing detergents : Recipe; half a cup-a cup of natural soap flakes, 1-2 teaspoons of salt and 6 drops of tea tree oil.Mix it with about half a pint of boiling water and stir till the soap has melted well. It works a treat, cleans everything just great, I sometimes drop a cap full of bleach in with whites, though only if they have very ground in dirt.
so yeah.. you can save a small fortune! annd not have loads of chemicals on your skin after every wash.

és:
Mar 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
What temperature do you wash your clothes at?

I know the environmental lobby will be onto me about this but I always like to wash at 60c or more (for whites). I'm also pretty liberal with the fabric softener.

Hey, I like to smell like 'summer breeze' or 'linen fresh' ok! :D

dubhe
Mar 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
What an exciting thread :)
Ok, my 2c

Firstly, I think old clothes are more susceptible to smell, not sure why.
Secondly, I always leave the door of my front loaded open after removing the wash to let the drum dry out, maybe this is where the mildew is lurking?

ButtUglyJeff
Mar 8, 2009, 06:21 PM
I use the Affresh tabs, but the best thing you can do is leave your washer door open, so the excess water doesn't sit and stew. It evaporates instead.......

andreab35
Mar 8, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I have a Whirlpool front loader and my clothes smell nice.
I'd put the clothes in the dryer asap when they are done.

Additionally, it has been recommended to keep your washer door open a crack when fully finished washing so no mold or mildew builds up.

Good luck! :)

MonksMac
Mar 8, 2009, 09:06 PM
Wow- almost a year and a half later I'm back in this thread again...
Yep front loaders are known for having that smell. The front loaders aren't noisy when they spin down for the last load are they? Our washer (Kenmore Elite with Calypso Wash System) is a combination of top loading and HE washer and boy is it loud. I guess it's the best and worst of each!:apple:

marbles
Mar 8, 2009, 09:20 PM
Wow- almost a year and a half later I'm back in this thread again...
Yep front loaders are known for having that smell. The front loaders aren't noisy when they spin down for the last load are they? Our washer (Kenmore Elite with Calypso Wash System) is a combination of top loading and HE washer and boy is it loud. I guess it's the best and worst of each!:apple:Thanks for pointing the threads age, don't I feel silly now :o

...snip<>!
why did you dig up a year old thread?, I mean , a year old ....it mus have been pages and pages into the depths...I enjoyed the read all the same[thanks] but why ...?:confused:

Music_Producer
Mar 8, 2009, 09:41 PM
Reading all this reminds me of my growing up years in India, where we had 95% humidity - my grandma would wash clothes *every* morning - with a generic soap bar and lots of scrubbing - and then dry them on a line outside.

Nothing like hand washed, sun-dried clothes - they looked brand new and smelled great (even in that humidity!)

MonksMac
Mar 8, 2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for pointing the threads age, don't I feel silly now :o

why did you dig up a year old thread?, I mean , a year old ....it mus have been pages and pages into the depths...I enjoyed the read all the same[thanks] but why ...?:confused:

It's OK.:p Besides it's still useful for people with Front Load and HE washers!:)

Melrose
Mar 9, 2009, 09:27 AM
I use a front-loading washer, and sometimes I'll move them to dryer but not turn it on until the next morning and they come out smelling fine.

Mind you, I always dry them quickly in the summer. In the winter for some reason they can sit around for several hours but in the summer they have to be taken care of PDQ.

Once the 'sweat' smell gets in your clothes, you might as well toss them. They'll come out of the warsher smelling clean enough, but if you wear them and start sweating any length of time they stink up again in a hurry.

Given that I get my Ts at Gap, I always make sure I'm wearing Ts from Target when I do the heavy work.

bbotte
Mar 9, 2009, 09:41 AM
DO you shower with a loofa? If you don't wash the loofa in the dishwasher or get a new one after a month or so it becomes mildewy smelling. Then you wash your body and rub it al over. You smell good at first because of the soap but once you sweat you smell like mildew. And the smell smells like it is coming from the clothes. But it is coming from you, I had this same problem, we almost bought a new washer. I changed loofas and no more mildew smell. Try it.

Consultant
Mar 9, 2009, 09:44 AM
I've been hanging my sweaty t-shirts to dry in bathrooom (instead of putting into laundry basket where it would stay wet), if it's not going to be washed right away.

Also, hot cycle wash / hot dryer setting helps but wears out the clothes quicker. Good last resort for the cloth that have moldy smell.

Ish
Mar 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
Have you tried cleaning the filter?

marbles
Mar 11, 2009, 04:01 AM
I've had another thought on this.....if your clothes have the sweat smell constantly, you could try leaving them on the washing line overnight or a couple nights actually but do it when it is raining heavily, something in the rain neutralizes the smell after a heavy down pour or two.....Years ago when I was too lazy to bring the washing in every evening, I noticed that after a heavy downpour my clothes smelled fresher than if I just washed/dried them.
Don't know how....it just works

skinnylegs
Mar 11, 2009, 11:05 AM
I have an LG Tromm I paid a small fortune for and I have smelly washing machine syndrome as well. I've run bleach through it on the sanitary cycle but the odor persists. I've done a bit of research on the web and it seems I'm not alone.

Let me preface myself by saying I *do not* work for the company I'm about to mention. LOL I merely read about their product and it seems to have gotten pretty good reviews so I ordered some myself. Anyway, if you're interested, you can check them out at http://www.smellywasher.com/

rfe3o2
May 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hi all. After reading this post, found many useful suggestions that I shared with my wife. Primarily, not using fabric softer in wash, leaving door open, rinsing one load with each Bleach and Vinegar. I was, of course, looking for a replacement as well if this all failed.

Upon further inspection of wash machine found that the drain hose was corrugated. I thought that was a stupid design because even with the force of water pushed through the drain hose it would still trap debris in the corrugated rings. Well, I decided to just remove and replace. Let me tell you the smell after removing this drain pipe almost knocked me out. It obviously is causing our problem. I am replacing the drain hose and water line hoses as soon as I finish this thread. I believe replacing all for $15-$20 bucks and finally get the cloths to smell great again is definitely worth it. No on in this thread talked about the drain pipe. If you do run bleach and vinegar through your wash machine it will kill some of the drain line issues but doubt it will resolve it completely. Hope this helps. ;)

kellen
May 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
I am the worst at forgetting to dry a load of laundry.

My solution to get the moldy smell out is oxyclean. Add in a cupful to your regular load with the normal amount of detergent. Also put the water on hot.

Have had to do this to multiple loads and it works after one treatment. No more smells.

That is the worst thing ever in the morning. Putting on clothes, no smell. But then hour later you get a faint whiff.

leedalk
Aug 5, 2010, 08:22 AM
For those of you who do not have a fairley new HE washing machine. LISTEN!!!
The nasty smell coming off these clothes using brand new washing machines is not being caused by "bad water"all of a sudden when I bought the new washer.
it is not being caused by a new bottle of detergent that is less than a week old.
It is not being caused by clothes left in the washer for 5 or 45 minutes after washing.

This horrible odor coming off the clothes when your body temp rises slightly is being caused by NOT ENOUGH WATER!!!!!!

These pice of crap washers use 25% of what the old ones used and is leaving the filth from the wash in the clothes because of a lack of water.
I bought mine at sears and found total denial even ackowledging a problem with these pieces of crap.
First we have "water saver" toilets that take 5 flushes to get the job done,
and now we har "water saver high efficincy" washing machines that do not get the clothes clean.
WHAT A DAMN JOKE!!!

oliviaholmes
Sep 27, 2010, 10:37 AM
My husband got me a front load washer and dryer because I had cancer and couldn't bend down in the top load washer until after my surgery. We got it from a RTO place and so it was pre-used. I have the same problem with mine stinking and with a foul odor. I hear my alarm go off and I directly place the clothes in the dryer. I don't wait around at all. I do my cleaning as soon as the kids go to school and husband is off to collage so I really don't have time to let them set. I can not get the odors out no matter what I do. I am going to try a container of vinager to see if that helps. will post the results later!

iShater
Sep 27, 2010, 10:41 AM
Interesting that this thread got resurrected today, cause I had this issue yesterday.

I can't remember if I read an article or so a piece on TV about it, but basically front-loader washers do not completely drain all the water out when they are done. That water stays in it, and all kinds of lovely smells will emanate from it over time. I did a load yesterday and for some reason (maybe cause we hadn't used the washer in almost a week), the stuff came out smelling funky.

I re-did the load, and it was gone.

The only recommendation I heard was to do an empty cycle with bleach and use whatever "drain" option your washer has.

That takes care of it for a bit.

skinnylegs
Sep 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
Kinda funny this thread is still going on....

The only viable solution I have found is to leave the door to the washing machine open (to air it out) for at least half a day after doing a load. This has solved the problem for me.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 28, 2010, 12:21 AM
If I foret I'm washing a load and then 2 days later remember to put them into the dryer, yes. :o

vhesson63
Jul 23, 2011, 09:38 AM
Look, I'm a big guy - but do cut me some credit here.

I got a front-loading washer almost a year ago - and ever since, my clothes have not smelled clean. After coming out of the wash, they smell like -- like a beach towel left in a plastic bag for 2 days. After the dryer, you can hardly detect it (thank you, dryer sheets).

But here is the catch, after wearing these clothes - once you perspire ANY bit - the smell comes back!!!

I've tried multiple detergents, and yes I'm using the HE detergents my machine says to use.

I tried bleaching / running hot water through it - and this still didn't stop it.

I'm now leaving the door open after washing, and I kick it almost every night in the dark - but I was told this would stop mold from growing - and that was the problem I had...

So - no dice yet. It's not my town water (old washer was fine), and i even tried putting a water filter on it. (you know, to improve the taste of water for drinking) Didn't work.

I also tried checking the drain catch-basin after reading that some HE washers empty water faster - causing the catch-basin to empty completely - allowing sewer gasses back into the washer. A this isn't the smell I speak of, and B - it turned out not to be the problem in my case.

Can anyone help me here? I'm sick of smelling bad, and can't stand "masking" the smell via cologne / scents. I just want to be clean.

Help! yes i think i can, i was very sick and i put a load of clothes in the washer and left them in overnight, and they really smelled bad, i as well have a front end washer, i finally went to and old remedies book and it said to use a cup and a half of baking soda, and i havent had a problem since, BUT i love my old washer much better, I CANT STAND THE FRONT LOADER! I WISH I NEVER BOUGHT IT. I WILL GO BACK TO THE REGULAR STYLE. BY the way just take the baking soda and just put it directly on your clothes, but dont overload it. i really think this will help, if you dont smell hahah a difference use more baking soda, i buy the real big bags at bjs or sams club. GOOD LUCK!!!!!! IT WORKS FOR ME AND MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN THE SAME AS YOURS SINCE I BOUGHT THE FRONTLOADER, THE FIRST TIME I WAS SICK AFTER THATNO EXCUSES, ITS THE WASHER!

iJohnHenry
Jul 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
... since I bought the front-loader, the first time I was sick, after that no excuses, it's the washer?

Do you suspect a Communist plot, like fluoridation??

Surely
Jul 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
yes i think i can, i was very sick and i put a load of clothes in the washer and left them in overnight, and they really smelled bad, i as well have a front end washer, i finally went to and old remedies book and it said to use a cup and a half of baking soda, and i havent had a problem since, BUT i love my old washer much better, I CANT STAND THE FRONT LOADER! I WISH I NEVER BOUGHT IT. I WILL GO BACK TO THE REGULAR STYLE. BY the way just take the baking soda and just put it directly on your clothes, but dont overload it. i really think this will help, if you dont smell hahah a difference use more baking soda, i buy the real big bags at bjs or sams club. GOOD LUCK!!!!!! IT WORKS FOR ME AND MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN THE SAME AS YOURS SINCE I BOUGHT THE FRONTLOADER, THE FIRST TIME I WAS SICK AFTER THATNO EXCUSES, ITS THE WASHER!

What does this have to do with tipping?:confused::D

iJohnHenry
Jul 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
What does this have to do with tipping?:confused::D

Oh, did you notice a Spring in her step?

TheGenerous
Jul 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
A few times the water coming from the laundry machine has some smell, so i had to put them back for another cycle and leave them in soap water for some minutes. In general my clothes smell good after washing them

screenwriter3d
Aug 1, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've been having issues with my laundry. I've been suffering with a musty smell on my clothes/laundry (undergarments, gym clothes, towels, etc.) very similiar to what you described in your post back in January 2008. Were you ever able to find a solution to this? This issue is killing me and really making my life miserable. I am depressed and looking for answers everywhere. If you could offer any help or suggestions I would be forever grateful. I live in a rental building, with shared laundry facilities. Ever since the building management removed the old top loading machines and replaced them with front loading HE washers, my life turned upside down. I have switched from Tide HE laundry detergent to All. I use 1/4 cup of detergent as instructed by the machine for small to medium loads. I never overload or put an excess amount of clothes in the machines. The clothes smell clean when they come out of the wash, but when I dry them, suddenly they stink... like a mild mildew or mold. And it is very noticeable when I wear the clothes, especially on hot days or when I sweat. And I don't sweat that much at all. I know it's not me or my body... I shower daily, and I follow exceptional hygiene protocol. I noticed this smell only on my washed clothes. If I wear dry cleaned clothes or new clothes off the rack, I noticed the smell doesn't exist. And I feel fine and happy. But when I wear something that I washed, that awful smell makes its appearance. It has gotten to me to the point where I feel like a social leper. I am very conscious about how people react around me. On top of this, I have been spending a ton of money on new clothes to avoid wearing anything I washed. Any help or suggestions on how you resolved this issue would be wonderful. Sorry to throw all this at you.

Mr. McMac
Aug 1, 2011, 10:57 AM
I've had the same front load washing machine for 12 years and never had any weird smells. The key is to keep the door and the soap tray open between washes so no mold and mildew can build up.

renewed
Aug 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
I've been having issues with my laundry. I've been suffering with a musty smell on my clothes/laundry (undergarments, gym clothes, towels, etc.) very similiar to what you described in your post back in January 2008. Were you ever able to find a solution to this? This issue is killing me and really making my life miserable. I am depressed and looking for answers everywhere. If you could offer any help or suggestions I would be forever grateful. I live in a rental building, with shared laundry facilities. Ever since the building management removed the old top loading machines and replaced them with front loading HE washers, my life turned upside down. I have switched from Tide HE laundry detergent to All. I use 1/4 cup of detergent as instructed by the machine for small to medium loads. I never overload or put an excess amount of clothes in the machines. The clothes smell clean when they come out of the wash, but when I dry them, suddenly they stink... like a mild mildew or mold. And it is very noticeable when I wear the clothes, especially on hot days or when I sweat. And I don't sweat that much at all. I know it's not me or my body... I shower daily, and I follow exceptional hygiene protocol. I noticed this smell only on my washed clothes. If I wear dry cleaned clothes or new clothes off the rack, I noticed the smell doesn't exist. And I feel fine and happy. But when I wear something that I washed, that awful smell makes its appearance. It has gotten to me to the point where I feel like a social leper. I am very conscious about how people react around me. On top of this, I have been spending a ton of money on new clothes to avoid wearing anything I washed. Any help or suggestions on how you resolved this issue would be wonderful. Sorry to throw all this at you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4702468&postcount=30

Gav2k
Aug 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lmfao last time I saw a top loader was my nans back in the 80's been front loading since then really. The key is the door. Leave it open between washes and if your leaving your machine more than a week before using it again a cap of bleach on a rince cycle before use flushes out any mouldy water in the pipes.

And for the not enough water people that a load of bo@@ox. It's not about using loads of water it's about agitation and air!

wordoflife
Aug 1, 2011, 11:57 AM
It only smells weird if the clothes are left overnight.
They have those washingmachine tablets which you just run in the "clean" cycle but bleach also works

Scotelsalv
Sep 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
I have tried everything. Wash jeans on their own, wash the towels on their own, bought the cleaner for the machine. Can't get rid of the smell. I paid top dollar for a HE beautiful front loader that's supposed to save me $$$ but instead I'm constantly rewashing clothes

iBlue
Sep 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
I have a front loader and my clothes come out smelling awesome! I never leave them in there wet for more than a few minutes and maybe that's why.

I also clean out the drum and the detergents drawer after I'm done using it and let it dry fully before closing it.

Bacteria and mildew are the usual culprits for stank like that and it's difficult to get rid of. Dry them really well and put them in a bag in the freezer (perhaps with a dryer sheet) for a few days then re-wash them. It sounds strange but it's likely to kill the bacteria and give your clothes less stank-factor.

iJohnHenry
Sep 21, 2011, 06:33 AM
I also clean out the drum and the detergents drawer after I'm done using it and let it dry fully before closing it.

I think that this is key to the problem.

Bacteria and mildew are the usual culprits for stank like that and it's difficult to get rid of.

Yes.

We have 2 front-loaders and 1 top-loader in our building. I wait for the top-loader. It holds more, takes less time, and does a better job.

People usually leave the lid up on that one, which allows it to fully dry, at least over-night. Even if they don't, air still gets in around the top.

The people who use the front-loaders have been 'trained' to leave the door open slightly, which allows them to breath as well. You close that door and it becomes a massive petri dish.

We have no complaints about the clothes smelling, and, trust me, these people have complaining down to a fine art.

Scotelsalv
Sep 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
thanks everyone. for the very reason I dont leave them in there, I have my kids trained in not doing so also. I also wash them and clean out the filter thing. I am going to call samsung on Friday as this is beyond ridiculus. I will try the freezer thing though. thanks again

iJohnHenry
Sep 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
thanks everyone. for the very reason I dont leave them in there, I have my kids trained in not doing so also. I also wash them and clean out the filter thing. I am going to call samsung on Friday as this is beyond ridiculus. I will try the freezer thing though. thanks again

A thought just occurred.

As front-loaders use far less water, the temperature of the water might be more critical. If your washer is a long way from your hot water tank, the water in each fill-up might just be tepid by the time it gets to the machine.

Can you run the water to get it hot before you start the washer, or does the washer have a heating coil similar to a dish-washer?

Or, your tank thermostat might need an up-tick.

nebo1ss
Sep 21, 2011, 03:37 PM
A thought just occurred.

As front-loaders use far less water, the temperature of the water might be more critical. If your washer is a long way from your hot water tank, the water in each fill-up might just be tepid by the time it gets to the machine.

Can you run the water to get it hot before you start the washer, or does the washer have a heating coil similar to a dish-washer?

Or, your tank thermostat might need an up-tick.

These machines all have a heating coil. In fact most new front loaders have only cold water feed for the very reason you point out here.

Big-TDI-Guy
Sep 22, 2011, 10:53 PM
My Kenmore washer is not that old - and it does NOT have a heating coil.

Oddly enough, I actually run hot water at the nearby faucet for ~20 seconds before starting the washer. I also tried starting a hot load, then canceling it, and restarting again - but that was very time consuming.

Have to appreciate the irony that I work with hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialized cleaning equipment at work.... but still deal with my front end loader at home. :o

Ed2
Jun 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
I have tried everything. Wash jeans on their own, wash the towels on their own, bought the cleaner for the machine. Can't get rid of the smell. I paid top dollar for a HE beautiful front loader that's supposed to save me $$$ but instead I'm constantly rewashing clothes

I totally agree with your last statement. Personally I think we consumers have been sold a bill of goods on HE washers. They stink literally. I sure wish I had my old top loader back. The HE one uses less water but big deal it takes twice as long to wash a load of clothes and using electricity is more expensive for me than using a bit more water. One of the cycles takes 2 hours for crying out loud!!! Plus my clothes haven't been truly clean or smelled clean since I first used it.:mad:

And don't tell me to try bleach or vinegar or baking soda either cause I've tried them all. I immediately put my clothes in the dryer and also leave the door open between loads to dry. I run the "Affresh" (more crap to buy) cycle once a month and it lasts maybe a week before my dish cloths stink as soon as you get them wet. Same goes for my husband's tee shirts and I'm sorry but I'm not buying new tee shirts every week as someone suggested.

What I'm going to do is put this so-called HIGH EFFICIENCY washing machine on the auction block and buying a top loader instead.:mad:

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
Interesting coincidence that this thread comes back to life today. Had an interesting event with my ole Front Loader just this afternoon.

In the past, used to clean out the "lint trap" inside the agitator of the top loading washers - and you'd find... lint. Easy to swap remove, clean - no big deal.

Just yesterday our machine threw an error code - and was not draining fast enough according to Google. (at all) Discovered there was also a lint trap in this front loader - behind a panel inside the machine. Funny enough, the literature taped INSIDE the machine itself was clear about this trap and having to clean it - but the manual we got with it during purchase - not so much.

The pure hatred contained within this trap cannot be described with words, it was evil - in smell form.

The real mind blowing bit here, is how half these items actually got into the trap - as the tube connecting them is smaller than half of this stuff!

Bear in mind - this is not the smell of the mildew issue from waaaay past, but it may contribute due to the inadequate draining of the washer.

I've been pretty lucky with the mildew bit, it was a combination of approaches - leaving door open, putting washer on elevated platform to assist in draining, running bleach through it with hot water, wiping the rubber boot inside the door, and washing fewer articles of clothing with less detergent.

I do miss the old top loaders still, less maintaining, FASTER washing, never had any problems relating to odors or "Suds" crashing the machine. And never had to pull THIS out of it! :eek:

leftywamumonkey
Jun 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
*Snip*

Nail clippers??? :eek:

skinnylegs
Jun 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Ahhhh. The front loading washer and dryer thread rears it's stinky head. Traded mine in for top loaders. Full immersion wash and no stink. Case closed for me.

jeremy h
Jun 26, 2012, 04:26 AM
Blimey - that lot looks like the contents of a sharks stomach... (It's just missing the ubiquitous bent up licence plate.) :eek:

Plutonius
Jun 26, 2012, 07:11 AM
A google search will show that a front loading washer can have a problem with smells (One reason why I will only get a top loader). Most of the webpages have some good advice on how to reduce the smell.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Mold-Smell-in-Front-Loader-Washing-Machine

Gav2k
Jun 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
Seriously I don't know why you guys over the pond have such an issue with front loaders we've had them here for 30+ years.

To the guy that just posted the picture... Empty your pockets! A simple practice!!

To everyone else once you have finished with the machine leave the door open a touch!

Plutonius
Jun 26, 2012, 07:48 AM
Seriously I don't know why you guys over the pond have such an issue with front loaders we've had them here for 30+ years.

To the guy that just posted the picture... Empty your pockets! A simple practice!!

To everyone else once you have finished with the machine leave the door open a touch!

Use a top loader for awhile and you might change your opinion of front loaders :P.

Gav2k
Jun 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
Use a top loader for awhile and you might change your opinion of front loaders :P.

Seriously I won't!

Leet Apple
Jul 15, 2012, 03:43 AM
i haven't noticed any smell, but i will look into this when i do my laundry next time, because i let me clothes sit for awhile (depends on what im doing) but from what i can remember that has never happened to me :confused:

Jessica Lares
Jul 15, 2012, 06:58 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha at this thread and how I SO can relate.

We have a top loading washing machine and we do still have the smelly clothes problem. So we usually wash them twice for that reason.

VulchR
Jul 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
I use the 'extra rinse' setting on my machine just to make sure no detergent/fabric softener is left - this helps consoderably (Scotland is naturally damp anyway, so mildew on clothes is always an issue).

carlgo
Jul 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
Use HE detergent. It says so on the bottle if it is.

Use the amount suggested.

Always leave door open when done!

Tide sells a product to clean the machine and it works, but they don't give it away. It is in the detergent section at the supermart.

It isn't the brand of machine.

I love the jet whine of my Bosch and would never go back to top load.

Miele vacuums are awesome. The only non-POS vac I ever owned. Years of perfect use so far. Not made in China.

wgnoyes
Jul 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
Why.... would anyone ask a question like this on a forum themed around Apple enthusiasts?

Big-TDI-Guy
Jul 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
Why.... would anyone ask a question like this on a forum themed around Apple enthusiasts?

Because the Smelly Sumo Wrestlers Forums don't have enough members to answer this question. Also they don't speak english.

Also, it's community discussion, for everything non Apple.

I got intelligent answers to my question - which ultimately helped me resolve the situation.

What were the odds...

iJohnHenry
Jul 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
Because the Smelly Sumo Wrestlers Forums don't have enough members to answer this question. Also they don't speak english.

Also, it's community discussion, for everything non Apple.

I got intelligent answers to my question - which ultimately helped me resolve the situation.

What were the odds...

From him? Not too good.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2012, 03:18 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread, but:

1. Leave the front loader's door open when you're not using it. It doesn't need to be open all the way, but enough to prevent mold from growing due to old water build-up inside the machine. Mine is only open a few cm (~an inch).

2. If your clothes smell like mold, soak your clothes in a diluted combo of vinegar and warm water, and then wash them afterwards using normal detergent. Do this twice if you need to. A 2 litre container of white vinegar can cost less than $1, so it's not a big deal.

It's not necessarily your washing machine's fault, TBH. Mold can even occur when your clothes is in storage in a closet.

Washing in hot water isn't going to work if you're dealing with mold, nor is washing your clothes multiple times. Not everything in this world dies when temperatures reach 100 C. ;)

CeCe1
Dec 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
OK - Here's the thing. I have had an he machine for more than 5 years. I've got HARD water. I live on the beach - lots of humidity. I don't have a problem with a stinky machine. Here's why. First of all my machine has never had any fabric softener run through it. Fabric Softener leaves a residue and is not good for your machine. Second of all I wash everything in cold water. Occasionally I will use hot water for a load of whites - that's all. I NEVER use the amount of detergent the manufacturer requests for you to use. They just want you to have to buy more than you need. ie: they make more money that way.
Now for what I do. First - I ALWAYS for every wash throw 1/2 cup Borax inside the drum before adding the clothes. Add the clothes. Then, I use half the amount of detergent asked for in the dispenser. That way the clothes are not inundated with too much detergent that stays in the clothes. You want the detergent to wash out. Now, for the "Bleach" and "Fabric Softener" dispensers I use watered down essential oils. I use either eucalyptus or tea tree oil. This is made by mixing filtered water and the oil. I use 1 gallon filtered water with about 1/4 cup of the e.o. You have to shake it every time you use it because it is an oil and water and oil really don't mix well. Just pour enough in the dispensers that you want and close it and use COLD water. Cold water does not hold bacteria. I really have a lot more to say about that - but will just leave it at that. Wash the clothes. As soon as they are done immediately transfer to dryer and dry. Now, the important part - NEVER close the door when not in use. The vacuum seal will harbour any water left inside and cause mold and mildew.
Since you have used the tea tree or eucalyptus e.o. - it disinfects the drum each time and hence no mildew or mold or bad odors.
You can thank me after you have tried this for about a week and your machine and clothes smell wonderful.

Ice Dragon
Jan 1, 2013, 11:20 AM
Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. Put in a full packet, run a cycle on hot, then do a load and see if that gets rid of it. If not, put in another packet and try again.

susierosietoes
Sep 30, 2013, 08:57 AM
Resurrecting this thing because I've been totally bummed over about 5 of my husband's shirts, two pairs of my favorite (and fairly expensive) workout pants and 2 awesome (and fairly expensive) jackets that I ONCE left in my front-loading HE washer for too long. Each of these pieces of clothing got that funky stank that won't come out, no matter what I do.

I can wash clothes in the washer now without them acquiring the stinkiness, so that problem is solved. But these 9-10 pieces WILL NOT GET CLEAN, no matter what I try. I've washed them with vinegar. I've added Arm & Hammer booster. I've added Clorox booster. I've tried Oxyclean. I've tried Borax. I've tried more detergent, extra rinsing, less detergent...all to no avail. I've cleaned the washer and since no other clothes are acquiring the scent, I figure it's embedded in the fabric of these 9-10 pieces.

I never dry these clothes in the dryer—I'm afraid of "locking in" the smell. They always hang dry and sometimes a couple of them has seemed clean...but as soon as we wear them, five minutes in, that scent is back.

At this point, most of the clothes stay in the laundry room. I don't even bother to put them in the closet, for fear of sending my husband to work with a stinky shirt. So I keep re-washing them and trying new techniques, but so far, nothing's working.

Am I doomed to throw these pieces away? I keep trying to get them clean- replacing them means spending over $350. Argh!!!

Gonzo3333
Oct 2, 2013, 12:39 AM
Resurrecting this thing because I've been totally bummed over about 5 of my husband's shirts, two pairs of my favorite (and fairly expensive) workout pants and 2 awesome (and fairly expensive) jackets that I ONCE left in my front-loading HE washer for too long. Each of these pieces of clothing got that funky stank that won't come out, no matter what I do.

I can wash clothes in the washer now without them acquiring the stinkiness, so that problem is solved. But these 9-10 pieces WILL NOT GET CLEAN, no matter what I try. I've washed them with vinegar. I've added Arm & Hammer booster. I've added Clorox booster. I've tried Oxyclean. I've tried Borax. I've tried more detergent, extra rinsing, less detergent...all to no avail. I've cleaned the washer and since no other clothes are acquiring the scent, I figure it's embedded in the fabric of these 9-10 pieces.

I never dry these clothes in the dryer—I'm afraid of "locking in" the smell. They always hang dry and sometimes a couple of them has seemed clean...but as soon as we wear them, five minutes in, that scent is back.

At this point, most of the clothes stay in the laundry room. I don't even bother to put them in the closet, for fear of sending my husband to work with a stinky shirt. So I keep re-washing them and trying new techniques, but so far, nothing's working.

Am I doomed to throw these pieces away? I keep trying to get them clean- replacing them means spending over $350. Argh!!!

You may want to leave them in the sun for an afternoon or two. One of my trash cans developed a very nasty smell one week (spoiled chicken). I put the trash can in the back yard and let the sun's UV take care of most of the smell. Before you get rid of those clothes give that a try.

Since I also had a relatively new washing machine fry it's circuit board two months ago (a non HE top loader) I was in the market for a new machine. I did some research and ended up buying a Maytag Bravos top loader HE washer. So far I am pretty happy with the machine, I was always in the habit of keeping the lid open after a load so I never had the mildew problem associated with the front loaders. One thing I have noticed is that there is definitely water somewhere below the level of the tub in the machine when it if finished with a wash cycle. I am not sure if that is going to become a problem later during the machines life. I guess I'll resurrect this thread again if it becomes a problem.

wordoflife
Oct 2, 2013, 12:56 AM
My clothes come out fine (though sometimes you can notice the smell if left for a long period of time). But also, using liquid fabric softener completely masks any smell coming out of the washer when I use that.

wct097
Oct 2, 2013, 09:41 AM
The "problem" with front loading washers is that the water never completely drains out and you end up with mold/mildew inside the machine which then gets into the clothes when you wash them.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but front loading washers do require regular maintenance that regular washers may not. You're supposed to drain them and clean out the filter/trap every 6 months or so. It's also a good idea to leave the front door open when you're done washing to let it air out.

I would suggest the following:
1. Find your user manual and follow the steps to drain and clean the trap/filter in your washer.
2. Do the whole bleach/hot water run with nothing in the machine to clean it out.
3. Do a test wash with a big fluffy towel to see if it smells when you're done.
4. After washing, leave the door open until the next time you wash (or if it's in the way, leave it open for an hour or two or overnight).

musicjunky
Oct 2, 2013, 06:16 PM
My girlfriend's dryer is really weak, so my clothes come out slight wet sometimes, and after it dries it stanksss. :o